2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 98 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unusual to get impactful transfers, yes, but virtually all the top teams this year-ND, Baylor, Miss St., etc. except UConn have done so.
2017: Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis

2018: Jessica Shepard

2019: Chloe Jackson

All national champions and transfers or grad transfers.

Reaction Score
Could have been. Geno didn't play her enough.

and or she didn't do enough consistently to earn the time according to Geno....................a bit of both I think as it often seems to be..........

Reaction Score
2017: Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis

2018: Jessica Shepard

2019: Chloe Jackson

All national champions and transfers or grad transfers.

my point was that the level of talent in the transfer market is too inconsistent to rely on it as a regular part of a recruiting plan.............. so far I don't see anybody as good as those players you listed other then Westbrook.............

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
my point was that the level of talent in the transfer market is too inconsistent to rely on it as a regular part of a recruiting plan.... so far I don't see anybody as good as those players you listed other then Westbrook...
I agree that a coach shouldn't rely on it, but the number of transfers appears to be increasing, so coaches need to take advantage when good players are available. In future years, I think transfers and grad transfers will be very important.

Reaction Score
I agree that a coach shouldn't rely on it, but the number of transfers appears to be increasing, so coaches need to take advantage when good players are available. In future years, I think transfers and grad transfers will be very important.
I agree. Geno shouldn’t rely on it but also shouldn’t hesitate in today’s environment to be willing to get a grad transfer should there be a fit. No one knows how they’ll fit into the UCONN culture but I would like to see the staff take more risks when the team is deficient in certain areas.

Reaction Score
my point was that the level of talent in the transfer market is too inconsistent to rely on it as a regular part of a recruiting plan.... so far I don't see anybody as good as those players you listed other then Westbrook...

Yes talent goes a long way, but it’s also about fit. There are a few decent big players who could be looking to transfer that would help UConn in the post and on the boards, like Mitchell from LSU and Dixon from GA tech.

Reaction Score

I could have sworn that I read something on the BY about graduate transfers being eliminated in another year or two as the coaches and admins don't want it..............

MTC

Reaction Score
I agree. Geno shouldn’t rely on it but also shouldn’t hesitate in today’s environment to be willing to get a grad transfer should there be a fit. No one knows how they’ll fit into the UCONN culture but I would like to see the staff take more risks when the team is deficient in certain areas.
Sometimes when you have an extra scholarship the risk to not take another player far exceeds the risk of letting the scholarship vacant. Actually, I wonder if Molly Bent may be on an academic scholarship which would mean Geno left two schollies vacant.

Reaction Score
How you figure that?

if my memory serves me correctly she had a really good season other then her three point shooting which was atrocious............however in the end Geno didn't feel she was his best option in the final minutes against Notre Dame..............therefore she was not impactual enough for UConn to win that game................if my memory is off I'm more the willing to listen

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
if my memory serves me correctly she had a really good season other then her three point shooting which was atrocious..however in the end Geno didn't feel she was his best option in the final minutes against Notre Dame....therefore she was not impactual enough for UConn to win that game......if my memory is off I'm more the willing to listen
Right so you can't impact the game from the bench. How did Azura do when UCONN played ND at UCONN earlier in the season?
Your memory is not off, Azura had an amazing summer shooting the ball from deep with USA basketball. Azura had all of us and her teammates ( see picture below) salivating for the start of the season. Of that summer Geno said there was no one in the gym that could guard Azura. By the time the UCONN team was playing in Italy that same summer her deep ball was gone, IDK what happened.
1554750452194.png

Reaction Score
Right so you can't impact the game from the bench. How did Azura do when UCONN played ND at UCONN earlier in the season?
Your memory is not off, Azura had an amazing summer shooting the ball from deep with USA basketball. Azura had all of us and her teammates ( see picture below) salivating for the start of the season. Of that summer Geno said there was no one in the gym that could guard Azura. By the time the UCONN team was playing in Italy that same summer her deep ball was gone, IDK what happened.
View attachment 42037

maybe it's just semantics..............she actually had a good game against ND but my point is she was judged by the coach to be a lesser option in the most important moments of the game thus she did not make enough of an impact for her to be on the court to help her team win................

Reaction Score
View attachment 42037
IMO, Stevens' weakness had to be between the ears. I still don't see how you can be 6-6 and very athletic, spend one year practicing and learning the offense, be surrounded with AA level talent, and not be a dominating inside player unless you just don't feel like it. If Butler, with her work ethic, had been blessed with that athleticism and talent she would've been the best big in the country at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO, Stevens' weakness had to be between the ears. I still don't see how you can be 6-6 and very athletic, spend one year practicing and learning the offense, be surrounded with AA level talent, and not be a dominating inside player unless you just don't feel like it. If Butler, with her work ethic, had been blessed with that athleticism and talent she would've been the best big in the country at UConn.
You can't teach dawg! You need a lot of dawg and skill to play successfully in the post at UCONN. It's not about the height either, Morgan Tuck had dawg and skill at 6'2". Natalie butler had a good amount of dawg, but as you said not enough skill.

Reaction Score
You can't teach dawg! You need a lot of dawg and skill to play successfully in the post at UCONN. It's not about the height either, Morgan Tuck had dawg and skill at 6'2". Natalie butler had a good amount of dawg, but as you said not enough skill.
Exactly. And I have to believe that, behind the scenes, Auriemma was pissed when he realized she didn't have no dawg.

Reaction Score
as i wrote in another thread, wonder how this affects the other recruits in 2020 like Hailey Van Lith. Obviously nice job by Geno. If he likes a player, I'll all for it.

Reaction Score

while she wasn't really quick, Tuck had that wonderful footwork inside...............some of that maybe teachable but I think some players are just born with it.................Stevens just never looked comfortable inside although when she put her mind to it she could dominate at times.............

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As do we both. I've always believed that this will become a cottage industry, if it isn't already. As I said to you, soon these transfers will start including MAA #1's that are disgruntled and ready to leave after their freshman years, and that will indeed be impactful

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn's newest recruit mentioned in the Tampa Tribune after participating in the Next Gen camp:

Nika Muhl, a junior from Croatia, is one of the most coveted prospects in the world. She started playing basketball five years ago for a club team. There are no high school teams in her country. In the past year, Muhl had coaches from UConn, Ohio State, Oregon and USF visit her at home in Croatia to make recruiting pitches.

“It was such a beautiful experience to have them over,” Muhl said. “I was blessed to have (those coaches) over. I mean, they’re like some huge people over here in America.”

Muhl said the dream is not just to play college basketball stateside but also to represent her country in America on a big stage.

“My ultimate dream would be to play in the Olympics,” Muhl said. “Probably second would be the WNBA. So it’s pretty exciting to come over here and be a part of this academy. It’s been the best experience for me.”

As women’s basketball goes global, so does Next Generation

Reaction Score
it appears recruiting at the guard position is certainly looking good..........................I'll feel even better when one those 6'3'-6'4" forwards takes the leap!!!!

Reaction Score
Great. Was starting to think Geno would have to start recruiting players with visible tattoos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom