2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 100 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how Nika M would rank with the 2020 class? I know Hoopgurlz doesn’t put international players in their rankings

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how Nika M would rank with the 2020 class? I know Hoopgurlz doesn’t put international players in their rankings
One source has Nika ranked #7 among 2001 born Europeans. Players like Emily Bessoir, Iliana Rupert (is she going the college route?), and Oregon State’s Jelena Mitrovic are ahead of her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz does include international players in the ranking sometimes once they are pretty certain that the player is US college bound. The 2015 ranking had 2 European players in the top 5. Wouldn't be surprised to see Nika and Aliyah Edwards in the next Hoopgurlz update.
My guess is that Nika is a top 30ish prospect comparable to Kia Nurse who was 33.

Reaction Score
That an interesting phrase there: "should she (Kamilla Cardosa) choose the college route".
Her HS is closing. She is from Brazil, turn 18 this month. Are there good professional league in Brazil to where that is an option?

that's not the first time I've heard that phrase as it relates to Cardosa..................she shouldn't have a problem finding a high school program to latch on to..................there is a women's Brazilian pro league but I have no idea how good it is..................

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Not long ago it was written, probably on this thread, that Angel Reese had been offered by Geno. That seemed to be a surprise. Has it been confirmed that she has been offered?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not long ago it was written, probably on this thread, that Angel Reese had been offered by Geno. That seemed to be a surprise. Has it been confirmed that she has been offered?
Sort of. UCONN can't comment so we have to rely on other stuff in print.

"The lanky forward (Reese) who holds an offer from UConn as well as many other prestigious women's college basketball programs had 21 points to go with 11 rebounds and 5 assists."

Leesville Road falls big to St. Frances (MD), 74-30

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz does include international players in the ranking sometimes once they are pretty certain that the player is US college bound. The 2015 ranking had 2 European players in the top 5. Wouldn't be surprised to see Nika and Aliyah Edwards in the next Hoopgurlz update.
My guess is that Nika is a top 30ish prospect comparable to Kia Nurse who was 33.
A few int’l players and the rankings:

#4 - Cecilia Zandalassini - Pro
#5 - Angela Salvadores - Duke
#51 - Chen Yue - California
#75 - Danielle Garven - Minnesota
#95 - Katija Laska - South Florida

#32 - Dorottya Nagy - South Florida
#38 - Aislinn Konig - NC State
#59 - Eternati Willock - Kansas State
#86 - Anie-Pier Samson - Duquesne
#92 - Morgan Yaeger - Oregon
#95 - Enna Pehadzic - South Florida

#15 - Chantel Horvat - UCLA
#22 - Digna Strautmane - Syracuse
#27 - Maeva Djaldi Tabdi - Syracuse
#35 - Julia Reisigerova - Pro
#36 - Satou Sabally - Oregon
#47 - Hailey Brown - Michigan
#49 - Louise Forsyth - Gonzaga
#77 - Alba Prieto - South Florida
#93 - Sylvia Serrat - South Florida

#11 - Kadiatou Sissoko - Syracuse
#65 - Taya Hanson - Arizona State

I missed a few I’m sure, please reply if you catch anything. So far, 2019 has not been a big year for internationals. Laeticia Amihere is the exception at #10.

These rankings are meh. Don’t give the best sense really.

Reaction Score
She also attended a game. Definite mutual interest I’m guessing.

I just hope she knows what she's getting into if she picks UConn..............it would be fascinating to watch her transformation as a player

Reaction Score
01 Born Best performing Internationals.
In no particular order...

PG
01 5'6 Heal-Australia / 01 5'6 Acevedo-Argentina / 01 5'9 Leger-Walker-NZ
01 5'3 Te-Biasu-Canada / 01 5'9 Scanlon-Australia / 01 5'10 Muhl-Croatia
01 5'8 Angyal-Hungary / 01 5'9 Fathoux-France / 01 5'10 Forner-Germany

SG
01 5'11 Chagas-Argentina / 01 5'10 Wadoux-France / 01 5'10 Palmer-Australia
01 5'10 Buggenhout-Belgium / 01 5'10 Pederson-Denmark

SF
01 5'11 Mbaka-Belgium / 01 6'0 Nnopu-Australia / 01 6'1 Kohler-Switzerland
01 6'1 Sangare-Mali / 01 6'0 Pavluichenko-Russia

PF
01 6'3 Carrera-Spain / 01 6'3 Chery-France / 01 6'3 Masikewich-Canada
01 6'3 Meldere-Latvia

C
01 6'5 Rupert-France / 01 6'5 Kuier-Finland / 01 6'9 Mitrovic-Serbia
01 6'5 Bessoir-Germany / 01 6'5 Okosun-Denmark

Reaction Score
UConn is so tight lipped about who they are recruiting that it's difficult to include certain players but for me I'd like a minimum of two in order I'd be thrilled with Gusters and or Edwards, followed by Daniels, Cardosa, Goforth and Reece and in 21 it's Fudd did I say Fudd? and DeBerry, Demetre and Miles...I've left off some other good ones too, I'm sure others will add their own choices...
In order of preference I have for 2020 gusters, cardosa, Edwards
2021 I have Fudd, deberry and miles.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few int’l players and the rankings:

#4 - Cecilia Zandalassini - Pro
#5 - Angela Salvadores - Duke
#51 - Chen Yue - California
#75 - Danielle Garven - Minnesota
#95 - Katija Laska - South Florida

#32 - Dorottya Nagy - South Florida
#38 - Aislinn Konig - NC State
#59 - Eternati Willock - Kansas State
#86 - Anie-Pier Samson - Duquesne
#92 - Morgan Yaeger - Oregon
#95 - Enna Pehadzic - South Florida

#15 - Chantel Horvat - UCLA
#22 - Digna Strautmane - Syracuse
#27 - Maeva Djaldi Tabdi - Syracuse
#35 - Julia Reisigerova - Pro
#36 - Satou Sabally - Oregon
#47 - Hailey Brown - Michigan
#49 - Louise Forsyth - Gonzaga
#77 - Alba Prieto - South Florida
#93 - Sylvia Serrat - South Florida

#11 - Kadiatou Sissoko - Syracuse
#65 - Taya Hanson - Arizona State

I missed a few I’m sure, please reply if you catch anything. So far, 2019 has not been a big year for internationals. Laeticia Amihere is the exception at #10.

These rankings are meh. Don’t give the best sense really.
Laksa and Sabally are grossly under-ranked.

Reaction Score
Angel Reese compilation from last weekend's AAU event:

She does some very unorthodox things, and that can make her tough to guard. Obviously she would come in as more of a project, but if Geno can add polish and she puts in the work, she will be very good. But players such as Coombs haven’t developed much so far, so whether or not she develops is the question.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She does some very unorthodox things, and that can make her tough to guard. Obviously she would come in as more of a project, but if Geno can add polish and she puts in the work, she will be very good. But players such as Coombs haven’t developed much so far, so whether or not she develops is the question.

I have described her game as awkward and I'm not even sure that really paints a full picture. Some of the things she does look out of control but she tends to get positive results. Will that continue in a more structured team environment? UConn must think so. She's certainly quick and athletic.

Reaction Score
I have described her game as awkward and I'm not even sure that really paints a full picture. Some of the things she does look out of control but she tends to get positive results. Will that continue in a more structured team environment? UConn must think so. She's certainly quick and athletic.
Charde Houston comes to mind when I think of Reese, a player with a lot of potential, but could definitely be a project.

MTC

Reaction Score
That isn't fair - Angel is a great rebounder and would be an asset as soon as she sees the court. I hope we can bring her to Uconn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That isn't fair - Angel is a great rebounder and would be an asset as soon as she sees the court. I hope we can bring her to Uconn.
I don't think it's unfair because UCONN has a very high standard for all of it's recruits. Reese is a very good rebounder but a very poor finisher who often misses bunnies at the basket. We have also seen her display some "horrible" body language and was completely disengaged during some HS games. None of those things would cut it at UCONN. We are judging her against the UCONN standard and comparing her against some other players in the class. Don't think we are judging her unfairly. It's not all negative this recent club video shows significant improvement in many aspects of her game and her performance at USA basketball was anything but disengaged. She is improving but so are Aliyah Edwards, Lauren Ware, & Delayah Daniels.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. She will be a big asset. Her height equaled with her range is a must get. Only thing I see lacking at this point is her motor. Which you must have to play at UCONN.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
If UCONN thinks she is worthwhile it might. UCONN was not in on Muhl until 2 months ago.

Is her intent to play volleyball AND basketball? Or is she looking at some schools for volleyball and others for basketball?

I’ll admit, I didn’t hear a peep about the volleyball team when I was at UConn. :oops:

Would Geno be okay with sharing?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is her intent to play volleyball AND basketball? Or is she looking at some schools for volleyball and others for basketball?
I’ll admit, I didn’t hear a peep about the volleyball team when I was at UConn. :oops:
Would Geno be okay with sharing?
I'm assuming "her" is Lauren Ware. Don't think it would be possible for her to do both sports at UCONN because the UCONN WBB is just too demanding physically and academically. River Baldwin heading to FSU was also a big time volleyball prospect who chose basketball. Looks like Ware might have made a similar choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom