2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 101 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming "her" is Lauren Ware. Don't think it would be possible for her to do both sports at UCONN because the UCONN WBB is just too demanding physically and academically. River Baldwin heading to FSU was also a big time volleyball prospect who chose basketball. Looks like Ware might have made a similar choice.
According to Ware’s post, those were her top 10 for BOTH basketball and volleyball. There are a few elite volleyball schools like Texas, Florida, Minnesota, etc. in there. I believe she is undecided.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to Ware’s post, those were her top 10 for BOTH basketball and volleyball. There are a few elite volleyball schools like Texas, Florida, Minnesota, etc. in there. I believe she is undecided.
Thanks didn't realize that. Has any player done both at the level she is aiming for?

Reaction Score
Thanks didn't realize that. Has any player done both at the level she is aiming for?
Not sure. I know Sara Hamson plays both at BYU. They were ranked very highly (#1, I believe) for the entire volleyball season, then she went on to win the WCC tournament and advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Not P5, but playing at a high level in both. I’m not sure she played in any contests for volleyball this season due to ACL, but is definitely on the team.

They had another top-100 hoops player who chose volleyball. I’m sure she could’ve done both.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Quite a few years ago Lindsey Yamasaki played both at Stanford. I had to look it up to confirm. She only played vball freshman year, then concentrated on bball. After using up her 4 years of basketball eligibility she played 1 more year of vball.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There are a few elite volleyball schools like Texas, Florida, Minnesota

I think Nebraska has to be considered the best of the bunch for volleyball schools on her list.

Reaction Score
I think Nebraska has to be considered the best of the bunch for volleyball schools on her list.
Yes. Forgot about them. Oregon is good too. At first I was surprised about no Oregon State, but then I remembered. Morris, Aquino, Jones, Mitrovic, and Brown!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming "her" is Lauren Ware. Don't think it would be possible for her to do both sports at UCONN because the UCONN WBB is just too demanding physically and academically. River Baldwin heading to FSU was also a big time volleyball prospect who chose basketball. Looks like Ware might have made a similar choice.

Yes. I quoted you and you quoted Sluconn’s post about her. I should have included Ware’s name...

Quite a few years ago Lindsey Yamasaki played both at Stanford. I had to look it up to confirm. She only played vball freshman year, then concentrated on bball. After using up her 4 years of basketball eligibility she played 1 more year of vball.

I didn’t realize a player could have four years of eligibility in each sport. :eek:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is Aaliyah Edwards and Nika Muhl lifting a girl (I like to call her Yukon). I like to think this is symbolism for when they lift UConn to a title.

D3VPaGXWAAgzzrh.jpg

Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky no love my my girl Emily Bessoir? That would be a "monster" complete class 5 Gusters, 4 Bessoir, 3 Edwards, 2, Muhl, 1 Bueckers.
Have you found any video on Gusters? I haven’t been able to form any kind of opinion on her yet.

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
I have described her game as awkward and I'm not even sure that really paints a full picture. Some of the things she does look out of control but she tends to get positive results. Will that continue in a more structured team environment? UConn must think so. She's certainly quick and athletic.
Good points. Very hard to read from these unstructured games. No way to know if she even knows what a screen and roll or pick and pop is. And a 6-3 shooting from her shoulders with her legs tangled just doesn’t compute.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Have you found any video on Gusters? I haven’t been able to form any kind of opinion on her yet.

Not a lot available, but here's some from US scrimmages and a workout.

Reaction Score
Liz Brenner at Oregon was an All American in volleyball and also played basketball and threw the javelin in track.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Liz Brenner at Oregon was an All American in volleyball and also played basketball and threw the javelin in track.

That's right. Amazing that she able to compete at the D1 level in so many sports.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn’t realize a player could have four years of eligibility in each sport. :eek:

You have 5 years total to use up 4 years of eligibility. If you can manage to squeeze more than 1 sport into that 5 year window, more power to you.

The twin sister of Stanford's Brittany McPhee, Jordan, played basketball at D2 Seattle Pacific. She competed in track at least 1 year at SPU. After playing 4 years of hoops she grad transferred to Gonzaga and participated in 1 year of cross country.

Delle Donne played 1 year of volleyball at Delaware and then starting the next year competed in basketball for 4 years.

I'm not sure how this worked out exactly, maybe there was a redshirt in there somewhere. In a really unusual career path, Demetri Goodson played basketball for 3 years at Gonzaga. Then he transferred to Baylor to play football, was also there 3 years. 2 of the seasons there he only played in 4 games, so maybe he got some kind of waiver. Then on to the NFL.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Canadian Biosteel game took place yesterday. I hope to have the video soon.

Video has arrived. Aaliyah Edwards is #15 in white and it won't take long to notice her--like the first possession on each end. Also watch the pregame where the broadcasters note some high praise for her from someone named Kia Nurse.

Reaction Score
Video has arrived. Aaliyah Edwards is #15 in white and it won't take long to notice her--like the first possession on each end. Also watch the pregame where the broadcasters note some high praise for her from someone named Kia Nurse.

OK............. so her favorite player is Kobe who's a huge UConn fan, her greatest Canadian influence is Kia Nurse and she reminds me of Haley Jones...................what's not to like and what's she waiting for?

Reaction Score
Could have been. Geno didn't play her enough.
She also struggled with learning post footwork and getting her 3 ball going. I think she would have benefited by a second year and could have been a #1 pick....

MTC

Reaction Score
She does some very unorthodox things, and that can make her tough to guard. Obviously she would come in as more of a project, but if Geno can add polish and she puts in the work, she will be very good. But players such as Coombs haven’t developed much so far, so whether or not she develops is the question.
Most players develop their true potential in their last two years unless they are superstar talents.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gusters best video are in the video of Sarah Andrews because they were on the same EYBL team. Gusters is on the finishing end of most of the Andrews passes. She shows great body control, can finish strong in traffic with either hand. She is agile enough to avoid contact and strong enough that light contact is not going to stop her.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: Pretty sure... remember that when Gabby Williams was being recruited for hoops all of the coaches after her [including Geno] told her that if she wanted to redshirt her junior [?] year so she could focus on her superb high jumping ability and make a run at our 2016 Olympic team they would be fine with that.

Of course that didn't happen.

In the 2012 Olympic trials...at 15..Gabby finished 5th overall...top 3 made the team....jumped a bit over 6'2".
After her injury in high school I think she was quoted as saying that she found herself missing basketball more than track.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks SLU. I know Auriemma has seen a lot more than this. The shooting's not bad but she needs some work. But if she's a worker and has some "dawg", 6-4 is 6-4.
She got dawg in the sense that she doesn't back down from contact. One other aspect of her game is that she has some stretch 4 ability. Very nice natural stroke from deep as seen in this buzzer beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom