2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 102 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gusters best video are in the video of Sarah Andrews because they were on the same EYBL team. Gusters is on the finishing end of most of the Andrews passes. She shows great body control, can finish strong in traffic with either hand. She is agile enough to avoid contact and strong enough that light contact is not going to stop her.

Great match between her and UConn. UConn's motion offense would allow her to show off all her skills versus schools like Baylor where the bigs stay close to basket and UT which rarely has strong point guards. Mobile, good instincts, and strong player and rebounder.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And this one of Gusters may tell you why she made a good move to transfer:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Huge weekend and potentially bigger month for recruiting:
The class of 2020 can start official visits this weekend.
Players in the transfer portal may also take official (school paid) visits.
Boo Williams EYBL is at the end of the month 26-28 April.
Anna Makurat season will be over and she can make a visit to UCONN.
@CocoHusky wish list:
2019 Anna Makurat, Elizabeth Dixon(GT transfer), Raquel Carerra 6’3” Spain.
2020: Anna Gusters, Aliyah Edwards, Emily Bessoir
2021: Azzi Fudd, Amari DeBerry, Saylor Poffenbarger

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And this one of Gusters may tell you why she made a good move to transfer:

How so? I think that video was made at a camp when she was in grade school. She had no competition then nor anyone close to her size but got plenty once she started HS and started playing AAU on EYBL circuit.

Reaction Score
Great match between her and UConn. UConn's motion offense would allow her to show off all her skills versus schools like Baylor where the bigs stay close to basket and UT which rarely has strong point guards. Mobile, good instincts, and strong player and rebounder.

I would like to see more footage showing her rebounding and playing defensive.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How so? I think that video was made at a camp when she was in grade school. She had no competition then nor anyone close to her size but got plenty once she started HS and started playing AAU on EYBL circuit.

Ah, I thought it was a year old and was scrimmage game of some sort!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think UConn should start keeping an eye on this youngster:

1554909113962.png

Reaction Score
Gusters best video are in the video of Sarah Andrews because they were on the same EYBL team. Gusters is on the finishing end of most of the Andrews passes. She shows great body control, can finish strong in traffic with either hand. She is agile enough to avoid contact and strong enough that light contact is not going to stop her.

Thanks a lot. BTW, Andrews is really, really good. She's going to be a problem if she ends up at Baylor as I suspect.

Reaction Score
She got dawg in the sense that she doesn't back down from contact. One other aspect of her game is that she has some stretch 4 ability. Very nice natural stroke from deep as seen in this buzzer beater.

Keep it up. I'm starting to like her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tell me more! Is she interested...

I'm not sure she is interested or even if UCONN is interested in her. I just really really love her game. Physical defender, constantly moving, solid passer, good mid range stroke. Sets really solid screens and is very patient. I think @Gus Mahler had the best description: she looks like a grown woman playing with kids.
Plug her into the UCONN lineup next to Liv and put Megan on the wing, the rest of WCBB would suddenly have a problem on their hands.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Video has arrived. Aaliyah Edwards is #15 in white and it won't take long to notice her--like the first possession on each end. Also watch the pregame where the broadcasters note some high praise for her from someone named Kia Nurse.

She's a Kobe fan. That can't hurt.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Huge weekend and potentially bigger month for recruiting:
The class of 2020 can start official visits this weekend.
Players in the transfer portal may also take official (school paid) visits.
Boo Williams EYBL is at the end of the month 26-28 April.
Anna Makurat season will be over and she can make a visit to UCONN.
@CocoHusky wish list:
2019 Anna Makurat, Elizabeth Dixon(GT transfer), Raquel Carerra 6’3” Spain.
2020: Anna Gusters, Aliyah Edwards, Emily Bessoir
2021: Azzi Fudd, Amari DeBerry, Saylor Poffenbarger
I like them; I like Demetre too.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's unfair because UCONN has a very high standard for all of it's recruits. Reese is a very good rebounder but a very poor finisher who often misses bunnies at the basket. We have also seen her display some "horrible" body language and was completely disengaged during some HS games. None of those things would cut it at UCONN. We are judging her against the UCONN standard and comparing her against some other players in the class. Don't think we are judging her unfairly. It's not all negative this recent club video shows significant improvement in many aspects of her game and her performance at USA basketball was anything but disengaged. She is improving but so are Aliyah Edwards, Lauren Ware, & Delayah Daniels.
I'm guessing if she has an offer in hand that Geno and crew don't see these shortcomings as glaring issues? It isn't easy to get a UConn offer, so she must have upside and current talent or she wouldn't have received an offer already at this point comparatively to others in her class....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm guessing if she has an offer in hand that Geno and crew don't see these shortcomings as glaring issues? It isn't easy to get a UConn offer, so she must have upside and current talent or she wouldn't have received an offer already at this point comparatively to others in her class....

It's a fair point. However, Geno also gave scholarships to Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin. It's not a guarantee of success.

Reese is a conundrum. Odd game that doesn't necessarily strike as UConn-worthy, but she's top-5 ranked everywhere and UConn likes her.

MTC

Reaction Score
It's a fair point. However, Geno also gave scholarships to Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin. It's not a guarantee of success.

Reese is a conundrum. Odd game that doesn't necessarily strike as UConn-worthy, but she's top-5 ranked everywhere and UConn likes her.
That is a lame comment because Bent and Irwin were not even ranked in the top 100 on HoopGurlz in 2016. If you cannot see the potential in Reese you are in for a big surprise when she arrives.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That is a lame comment because Bent and Irwin were not even ranked in the top 100 on HoopGurlz in 2016. If you cannot see the potential in Reese you are in for a big surprise when she arrives.

Bent was top-100 at ASGR. Beyond that, the comment I responded to was players who were given scholarships by UConn. Are you suggesting that UConn expected Bent and Irwin to not be able to play any relevant minutes by their third year? What was the point of offering them unless they thought they could play?

How about Lexi Gordon? She was top-30. You see a lot from her as a freshman that instilled confidence?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Of course Geno and the staff sees things in recruits that we don't and they will ultimately decide. I see the athleticism and recent improvement in Reeses game. As a UCONN WCBB fit just think there are many potentially better fits in this class at that position. Namely Marshall, Edwards, Bessior, & Daniels.

MTC

Reaction Score
Bent was top-100 at ASGR. Beyond that, the comment I responded to was players who were given scholarships by UConn. Are you suggesting that UConn expected Bent and Irwin to not be able to play any relevant minutes by their third year? What was the point of offering them unless they thought they could play?

How about Lexi Gordon? She was top-30. You see a lot from her as a freshman that instilled confidence?
Geno said sometimes he makes mistakes when recruiting. I sometimes need to be reminded that he is only human like us. My crystal ball tells me we are on the verge of bringing in another exceptional talent class and have many years of success ahead. Geno and staff are working their magic; please have a little patience.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno said sometimes he makes mistakes when recruiting. I sometimes need to be reminded that he is only human like us. My crystal ball tells me we are on the verge of bringing in another exceptional talent class and have many years of success ahead. Geno and staff are working their magic; please have a little patience.
Patience? Come on it's almost tax day and the BY only had 4 different threads related to next year's starting line up. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom