2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 73 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rickea Jackson will also push for a spot at F. A lot of people had her as a lock at the trials to make last years team. That sure is one tough squad, Coco.
Good call! I forgot about a few people that made some noise at previous trials: Rickea, Charli Collier, Angel Reese, & Caitlin Clark (hopefully will be healthy this time around, Amari DeBerry is coming on strong.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good call! I forgot about a few people that made some noise at previous trials: Rickea, Charli Collier, Angel Reese, & Caitlin Clark (hopefully will be healthy this time around, Amari DeBerry is coming on strong.

Coco:

- Who is coaching this u19 team? I seem to recall McConnell-Serio was HC in 2017.

- Yes, I was very much going to bring up Ms. Clark who looks to be very healthy. Remember, also, that Alli Campbell made it to the finalist stage last summer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco:
- Who is coaching this u19 team? I seem to recall McConnell-Serio was HC in 2017.
- Yes, I was very much going to bring up Ms. Clark who looks to be very healthy. Remember, also, that Alli Campbell made it to the finalist stage last summer.
I think the options are between Carla Berube and Jeff Walz.
Carla had this group at U16 and U17. Jeff had the U18 last summer.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think the options are between Carla Berube and Jeff Walz.
Carla had this group at U16 and U17. Jeff had the U18 last summer.

Thanks. That would make sense. Those coaches I'm very aware of, having watched the games last summer, like many on this board.

Are the final selections made by an "outside" group (like the senior national team) or does the coach have any formal input?

As you and Cat have said, this will be a very strong group and the trials themselves will be a tourney in its own right!

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Prince injury was August 2018. The injury was a broken leg & this summer will be a full year. Hopefully she will have tested the leg well before this summer. Prince has been a regular at USA basketball trials don't think she is risking much. Wow @UConnCat is right, the competition is going to be fierce because you are talking about the best from 4 different recruiting classes 2018-2021.

Prince just recently had a 2nd surgery on the leg. There seems to be a few issues.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks. That would make sense. Those coaches I'm very aware of, having watched the games last summer, like many on this board.
Are the final selections made by an "outside" group (like the senior national team) or does the coach have any formal input?
As you and Cat have said, this will be a very strong group and the trials themselves will be a tourney in its own right!
" The coaches are not involved in the selection process. Some very familiar names will be per this article:
George Washington University head coach Jennifer Rizzotti, who directed the 2011 USA U19 World Championship and 2010 USA U18 championship team to gold medal finishes and also served as support staff on the 2012 and 2016 U.S. Olympic teams, will serve as chair of the USA Basketball Women’s Junior National Team Committee. 2008 Olympic gold medalist Kara Lawson Barling will serve as the athlete representative, and joining Rizzotti as representatives of the NCAA are University of Texas head coach Karen Aston, Temple University head coach Tonya Cardoza and North Carolina State head coach Wes Moore."

USA Team Selection Committees In Place For 2017-20
I also believe that Kevin Lynch of Philly Belles was tabbed as AAU representative to USA basketball and does provide some input as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Prince just recently had a 2nd surgery on the leg. There seems to be a few issues.
Wishing her the best for a speedy recovery. How recently are we talking?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Because of this it would probably be unwise for her to risk another injury in the trials that would cause her to miss another season.

Reaction Score
Because of this it would probably be unwise for her to risk another injury in the trials that would cause her to miss another season.

I would prefer that Griffin not play this Summer either due to her injury history...................based on what we know now, she is going to be expected to play a vital role for UConn next season.............a serious injury this summer would be disastrous..........

Reaction Score
I would prefer that Griffin not play this Summer either due to her injury history....based on what we know now, she is going to be expected to play a vital role for UConn next season...a serious injury this summer would be disastrous.....

LOL. A vital role? Wow. Every year I read this. And every year those same posters are "disappointed" when almost all of UConn's freshmen once again look lost for much of their freshman year.
I also worry of injury but players got to play. Maybe you think that Williams should not try out either? Couldn't she get hurt? Isn't she even more vital than Griffin?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/3

Amari DeBerry scored 16 points in Williamsville South's sectional win Sunday. They move on to play for the Class A title.

16 points, 10 rebounds, 8 blocks to be exact.

DeBerry plays for the class title tonight. Hopefully, UConn will be present.

Reaction Score
LOL. A vital role? Wow. Every year I read this. And every year those same posters are "disappointed" when almost all of UConn's freshmen once again look lost for much of their freshman year.
I also worry of injury but players got to play. Maybe you think that Williams should not try out either? Couldn't she get hurt? Isn't she even more vital than Griffin?

have you looked at the team as it stands now for next season? Where do you think the additional scoring (-35) and needed rebounding/athleticism (-15) is going to come from? Just as CW was pressed into action this year, Griffin will be offered an important role as a freshman if she is up to it, which I believe she will be....................CW has no major injury history, Griffin has missed over a year and a half of her high school career due to injury..............I'm sure she wants to compete and she most likely will but that doesn't mean I can't be somewhat concerned about it...........

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
have you looked at the team as it stands now for next season? Where do you think the additional scoring (-35) and needed rebounding/athleticism (-15) is going to come from? Just as CW was pressed into action this year, Griffin will be offered an important role as a freshman if she is up to it, which I believe she will be.....CW has no major injury history, Griffin has missed over a year and a half of her high school career due to injury....I'm sure she wants to compete and she most likely will but that doesn't mean I can't be somewhat concerned about it......

Concern? Sure. Me too. Maybe Griffin should stay away from her senior prom lest she sprain an ankle dancing? She has as much chance of re-injuring her knee in summer pickup games than at USA. Probably more because there are a lot more pick up games than USA games. And didn't I hear the "look at the pts and rbs we lose" song 2 years ago and again a year ago? Walker, Williams, ONO and Dangerfield are capable of scoring a lot more, especially since they will get more shots.

I'm always nervous about injuries but they can happen in the first week of practice just as easily as in USA ball.
Besides, playing in USA ball and winning a gold medal is a bigger deal to these players than to you or I. Maybe Phoenix should ban Taurasi from the national team because she could be injured?

Reaction Score
Concern? Sure. Me too. Maybe Griffin should stay away from her senior prom lest she sprain an ankle dancing? She has as much chance of re-injuring her knee in summer pickup games than at USA. Probably more because there are a lot more pick up games than USA games. And didn't I hear the "look at the pts and rbs we lose" song 2 years ago and again a year ago? Walker, Williams, ONO and Dangerfield are capable of scoring a lot more, especially since they will get more shots.

I'm always nervous about injuries but they can happen in the first week of practice just as easily as in USA ball.
Besides, playing in USA ball and winning a gold medal is a bigger deal to these players than to you or I. Maybe Phoenix should ban Taurasi from the national team because she could be injured?

we'll just have to agree to disagree in this instance..............it's a moot point any way because she's going to do as she pleases which is certainly her right...............as far as where the points are going to come from, none of next year's starting five are as accomplished offensively as KLS and NC....................if you think this year's team has had some consistency issues with their outside shooting, just wait till next year..............

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Montage from Azzi Fudd's 38-pt district title performance:

Azzi was pretty much unstoppable. She got into the lane and put up her jumper at will. Most of them went in.

She matched the 38-point output by 28-4 Visitation.

Number 00 from Visitation is bound for Princeton. Azzi is bound for the stars.

Reaction Score
I was told about Saniya Rivers on this board. I finally got a chance to see her last night and I was not disappointed. She is a 5'10 shooting guard and plays for the Carolina Flames along side of Teonni Key. I can't wait to see them play this summer.

Reaction Score
Very impressive, especially given that most of them are scored on Aubrey.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was told about Saniya Rivers on this board. I finally got a chance to see her last night and I was not disappointed. She is a 5'10 shooting guard and plays for the Carolina Flames along side of Teonni Key. I can't wait to see them play this summer.
Thanks. That's good information right there-Rivers will be on the Nike EYBL circuit. Also expect Rivers to get an invite to USA Basketball for U16 trials May 23-27. Her, Olivia Miles, Taylor Bigby, & Rayah Marshall could be an epic USA backcourt.

Reaction Score
we'll just have to agree to disagree in this instance....it's a moot point any way because she's going to do as she pleases which is certainly her right.....as far as where the points are going to come from, none of next year's starting five are as accomplished offensively as KLS and NC.....if you think this year's team has had some consistency issues with their outside shooting, just wait till next year....

I can wait to see. You, however seem to have already settled the issue in your mind. One of us is sure to revisit this in about nine months. ;)

Reaction Score
I can wait to see. You, however seem to have already settled the issue in your mind. One of us is sure to revisit this in about nine months. ;)

believe me, I'd be more then pleased to be proven wrong...............;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom