2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 35 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some, who were not top ten, are having very good seasons, even better than some UConn stars. They may or may not reach the level Geno would have coached them to but, they are good enough to help their teams reach the NCAA Tournament. When UConn is in a situation like it is now, (potentially short on players) I would like to see Geno recruit players that are not the very best and coach them up like Mississippi State's coach does. However, he probably will not change his way of thinking or recruiting after all his success throughout the years.

I don't think he has a choice this coming year. We are going to be really short up front and no one replacing the outgoing all americans. Our recruiting has fallen short of expectations. Hope Geno pulls some sort of magic and brings in a few front court players that can play or it will be a long year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Couple more scouting reports of the aforementioned future UConn target Judea Watkins:

2023 Judea Watkins SG 5’11” GBL Lady Rebels (CA)

Judea Watkins may have had the most game-changing performance of all who played on Sunday. Her gameplay lit up the gym. My first thought was, “I can’t believe she’s only in 7th grade.” She runs like a deer. She can guard 1 through 4 because of her quickness and length. Judea was unstoppable going right. She had some blocks that only an ultra-athletic defender, such as herself, could make. Whether going through, around or over the top…she was going to get to the basket and get a bucket. Judea’s star is beaming brightly…and now even brighter after this weekend.

LBI Michigan Event Recap: EGB "Middle School" All American Games

By far, my top player of the showcase was 6-0 2023 Judea Watkins from California. She played all five positions (and a mean point-guard). She showed IQ, poise, real handle, shiftiness, a mid-range jump shot, a three-point shot, got to the basket in traffic and finished, rebounded, and most importantly defended. Made several reverse layups. Was also an unselfish passer. Should end up as a high-school All-American, attending the college of her choice playing the 1, 2, or 3. And don't forget USA Basketball.

Rites of Passage Showcase Recap 18

Reaction Score
just for the fun of it I went back to page 649 of the BY in 2011 and copied this post from Eric LA............funny to see these names but the recruiting questions are pretty much the same as they are now:

"no one really knows for sure if UCONN and Russell are talking at all. UCONN is not currently listed as one of the schools pursuing her, but don't forget Stokes is 6'3" with a huge reach, and Stewart is 6'4" with an even huger reach.

some of the bigger post players have already verbaled from the 2013 class (the Day sisters and Jada Terry). there don't seem to be a lot of highly ranked centers left in that class. but Dolson wasn't in anyone's top 10 list and only in the top 20 per ASGR. i think she's going to be pretty good. based on the players we have and the ones Geno seems to really want (Deshields, Reimer, and then Tucker and Muvunga), we also have no idea if he's looking at Greenwell or Russell.

UCONN tends to cast a narrow net and focus rather quickly on kids they are interested in. sometimes they have to switch gears when they decide (or the kid decides) to go a different direction."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
just for the fun of it I went back to page 649 of the BY in 2011 and copied this post from Eric LA..funny to see these names but the recruiting questions are pretty much the same as they are now:

"no one really knows for sure if UCONN and Russell are talking at all. UCONN is not currently listed as one of the schools pursuing her, but don't forget Stokes is 6'3" with a huge reach, and Stewart is 6'4" with an even huger reach.
some of the bigger post players have already verbaled from the 2013 class (the Day sisters and Jada Terry). there don't seem to be a lot of highly ranked centers left in that class. but Dolson wasn't in anyone's top 10 list and only in the top 20 per ASGR. i think she's going to be pretty good. based on the players we have and the ones Geno seems to really want (Deshields, Reimer, and then Tucker and Muvunga), we also have no idea if he's looking at Greenwell or Russell.

UCONN tends to cast a narrow net and focus rather quickly on kids they are interested in. sometimes they have to switch gears when they decide (or the kid decides) to go a different direction."
Those were interesting times. I was a BY lurker at that time and I do recall that UCONN did have interest in Russell. Also interesting is that this class was the one that started a wave of WCBB transfers including: Deshields, Reimer, Tucker, Mavunga, Gray, Brown, Harper, Davis, Washington, Small, Wright, & Cooper and of course Natalie Butler.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sarah Andrews ('20) just made the addition of Mississippi State to her list of schools which includes UConn and 11 others.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd finished with 18, was contained through the first 3Q with only 5 points (all in Q2), but really got going in Q4 and OT. Aliyah Matharu finished with 29. She was a good, under the radar find by Vic.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd finished with 18, was contained through the first 3Q with only 5 points (all in Q2), but really got going in Q4 and OT. Aliyah Matharu finished with 29. She was a good, under the radar find by Vic.

St Johns won in OT I believe

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When I watch Kyla Irwin play I am not impressed. She has three years of training under Geno and I find it hard to believe she has improved since high school. Has she been injury prone or what? I mean no respect but I am very puzzled since Geno speaks so highly of her.
You are right you meant no respect, you meant disrespect.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When I watch Kyla Irwin play I am not impressed. She has three years of training under Geno and I find it hard to believe she has improved since high school. Has she been injury prone or what? I mean no respect but I am very puzzled since Geno speaks so highly of her.
1. wrong thread
2. sit on it Potsie

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/22

Saylor Poffenbarger: 27 points, 10 rebounds, 10 blocks

Taylor Bigby 14 points

Sasha Goforth: 18 points

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Time to play who is Jasmine Lister following now.

Today's answer is Spanish post player Paula Fraile, a 6-4, 16-year-old.

Paula Fraile (ESP, 2002, 6’4, C)

Paula Fraile was on my initial watch-list prior to the tournament and I’m really happy I get to write about her upon conclusion of the competition because she is such a promising modern big. Very tall as you can read, she runs the court perfectly to finish in transition if needed, can stretch the court with a solid looking and confident outside shot. Her numbers are not actually that relevant but it is a matter of (short) time before she converts much more of her attempts and gets more efficient on the glass. She looks very composed on the floor and her learning curve appears huge to me. Definitely a big prospect for Spain in the years to come.

Fraile.jpg

My 13 #FIBAU16Europe players in Kaunas, Lithuania - Bluestar Media

Reaction Score
all of a sudden we're hearing about all of these European players as possible recruits..............the question is whether UConn is late to the game here:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
all of a sudden we're hearing about all of these European players as possible recruits....the question is whether UConn is late to the game here:

In order to answer this question one would have to know precisely when UCONN started recruiting these players. We don't. I guessing it was well before you and I heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom