2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 32 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ok @Charlieball I'll bite. Let's assume for a second that @meyers7 criterium are correct because they are:
  • Talented
  • Hard worker
  • Team player
  • Coachable
  • Non-intrusive parents
  • Fits in with current players
  • Interested in UCONN
Which one of these "boxes are you suggesting that UCONN should compromise on?
Hopefully you realize that it is a compromise because these have always been non-negotiable when it comes to UCONN recruiting because of the impact on the team as a whole.

simple ........................while they should always aim at the top ten talents, the coaching staff should also spend equal time looking at players #16-100 .................how is it that every other good program in America from ND, Miss State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford etc manage to find a number of quality complimentary players to work with their one or two top ten recruits? Same heart, same bball IQ maybe just 90% of the talent of the top ten.............We're talking about an additional 3-5 players here over the next two years.................frankly due to the vast number of players UConn will need to recruit, this process should already be taking place since the odds that UConn will land 3-4 of the top ten recruits in each class are somewhat unlikely........

MTC

Reaction Score
I think we are all in favor of including more players into our recruiting search. Hard work often overcomes talent especially since some players blossum early and others later. IMO Geno has the situation well in hand and we will be fine, just not dominant like in the past..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
simple ....while they should always aim at the top ten talents, the coaching staff should also spend equal time looking at players #16-100 .......how is it that every other good program in America from ND, Miss State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford etc manage to find a number of quality complimentary players to work with their one or two top ten recruits? Same heart, same bball IQ maybe just 90% of the talent of the top ten...We're talking about an additional 3-5 players here over the next two years.......frankly due to the vast number of players UConn will need to recruit, this process should already be taking place since the odds that UConn will land 3-4 of the top ten recruits in each class are somewhat unlikely...
You have to stop drinking that Kool aid and buying into that myth: “UCONN only recruits in the top 10.” Just look at the last 10 UCONN recruiting classes. Only once (2012) did the recruiting class include only players inside the top 10. Three UCONN recruiting classes (2009, 2013 & 2014) in that time span have only included players outside the top 10.
2008: Heather Buck, Tiffany Hayes
2009 Kelly Faris
2010: Bria Hartley, Stefanie Dolson, Michala Johnson, Laure Englen
2011 Brianna Banks, Kiah Stokes
2013 Saniya Chong
2014 Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, Sadie Edwards, Courtney Ekmark
2015 De’Jane Boykin
2016 Kyla Erwin, Molly Bent
2017 Mikayla Coombs, Lexi Gordon, Andra Espinoza-Hunter

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think PB will end up at Norte Dame and Hailey V will end up at Oregon State. Fudd will end up at ND to. UCONN has to land at least 2 bigs... this year has not been a typical UCONN team and next year will be even worse my guess will be at least 5 losses and they may finally drop a conference game. If Geno doesn’t bring in any grad transfers or international players UCONN is in trouble... go 8 deep and we all know how our bench now is... Boston was a huge loss!!!! Just curious what’s up with recruiting lately?? Seems like a lot of the kids coming out of high school don’t want to play for UCONN!! Look at the other top programs they all have depth and always seem to sign top players Year in and year out!!!
Sounds like you need to go follow those "other top programs". Until they lose to UConn, then you can jump back and tell everybody how great UConn is.

Reaction Score
You have to stop drinking that Kool aid and buying into that myth: “UCONN only recruits in the top 10.” Just look at the last 10 UCONN recruiting classes. Only once (2012) did the recruiting class include only players inside the top 10. Three UCONN recruiting classes (2009, 2013 & 2014) in that time span have only included players outside the top 10.
2008: Heather Buck Tiffany Hayes
2009 Kelly Faris
2010: Bria Hartley, Stefanie Dolson, Michala Johnson, Laure Englen
2011 Brianna Banks, Kiah Stokes
2013 Saniya Chong
2014 Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, Sadie Edwards, Courtney Ekmark
2015 De’Jane Boykin
2016 Kyla Erwin, Molly Bent
2017 Mikayla Coombs, Lexi Gordon, Andra Espinoza-Hunter

understood.................so what happened with the 2019 class? As far as I know there were no other offers given other then to top ten talent................Jones, Horston, Boston period..............and to do that knowing you are going to be bereft of bodies in the next two seasons just didn't make sense.............any way it's a moot point as now they have no choice but to widen their horizons to obtain the players they need...............I would love for UConn to get eight top ten players in the next two seasons but even Geno isn't that persuasive.............

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think he's trying to be tongue-in-cheek, maybe didn't confer it well. That block was almost cartoonish in it's force. Even the opposing team's bench was laughing and smiling if you watch closely. If he meant it seriously, he's a weirdo.
I could very well be wrong, I don't know him, but in my book, he's a weirdo.

Reactions: MTC

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
understood.......so what happened with the 2019 class? As far as I know there were no other offers given other then to top ten talent......Jones, Horston, Boston period....and to do that knowing you are going to be bereft of bodies in the next two seasons just didn't make sense...any way it's a moot point as now they have no choice but to widen their horizons to obtain the players they need.....I would love for UConn to get eight top ten players in the next two seasons but even Geno isn't that persuasive...
Does the name Aubrey Griffin ring a bell?Head bang

Reaction Score
Does the name Aubrey Griffin ring a bell?Head bang

you're right.............I know you disagree but I believe Griffin was a secondary offer just in case UConn got shut out and it was the right thing to do.........if they had made one or two more we wouldn't be talking about grad transfers and jucos for next season.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
you're right...I know you disagree but I believe Griffin was a secondary offer just in case UConn got shut out and it was the right thing to do....if they had made one or two more we wouldn't be talking about grad transfers and jucos for next season...
I do disagree and I want to make sure you know how much. In addition to the players you have already mentioned UCONN “evaluated” at minimum these class of 2019 players:
Zia Cooke-HS workout with Shea in attendance
Rikea Jackson-had a UCONN offer per her mother
Ashten Prechtel-USA Basketball summer of 2017
Diamond Miller- USA Basketball summer of 2017
Anaya Peoples-visited UCONN First Night 2017
Charisma Osborne-Visited by UCONN on west coast trip Nov, 2018
River Baldwin-visited UCONN First Night 2017
Angel Jackson-Geno sat courtside at AAU tournament summer of 2017 also USA basketball trials U17 summer of 2017.
Sammie Pusuis- when she was at or near the top of 2019 class -spring of 2016.
Leilani Correa-Shea went to a workouts at her HS
By evaluated I mean someone on the UCONN staff went to see them play in HS or AAU. I have no idea what offers were extend & neither do you. Those players did not end up at UCONN. I don’t like this outcome any more than you do. However, I respect the work and trust the judgement of the UCONN staff infinitely more. If the UCONN staff decided that offers should not have been extended, those decisions were only arrived at by putting in some work.
More importantly your contention that there are capable kids out there just ready to jump on a UCONN offer is unsupported. For starters these kids know much more than you and I do about who is leaning which way and who has been offered by which schools. Second, recruiting is a two way street and much less restrictive from the recruits POV. If these kids deem themselves worthy and desire to play at UCONN nothing is preventing them from picking up the phone and calling the UCONN staff. The UCONN post and bench situation has also been well know for a while with the only exception being the early departure of Azura for the WNBA-which is something I'm sure caught the staff off guard.

Reaction Score
I do disagree and I want to make sure you know how much. In addition to the players you have already mentioned UCONN “evaluated” at minimum these class of 2019 players:
Angel Jackson-Geno sat courtside at AAU tournament summer of 2017 also USA basketball trials U17 summer of 2017.

and from that list are you saying that not one was deemed good enough or not one of those recruits would have accepted a UConn offer? What are the odds of UConn finding a grad student or juco transfer better then one of those players?

The bottom line is what's done is done..................all I can say is that .I hope that UConn's 2020 recruiting haul is so overwhelming that I will never have to discuss the subject again.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
and from that list are you saying that not one was deemed good enough or not one of those recruits would have accepted a UConn offer? What are the odds of UConn finding a grad student or juco transfer better then one of those players?

The bottom line is what's done is done...all I can say is that .I hope that UConn's 2020 recruiting haul is so overwhelming that I will never have to discuss the subject again...
Q: from that list are you saying that not one was deemed good enough or not one of those recruits would have accepted a UConn offer?
A: Neither because IDK.
Q: What are the odds of UConn finding a grad student or juco transfer better then one of those players?
A: IDK. Seems to have worked out pretty well for Baylor though. In addition to having the #1 recruiting class they also picked up Chloe Jackson as a graduate transfer a starter who hit some key shots down the stretch to help beat UCONN.

Reaction Score
Q: from that list are you saying that not one was deemed good enough or not one of those recruits would have accepted a UConn offer?
A: Neither because IDK.
Q: What are the odds of UConn finding a grad student or juco transfer better then one of those players?
A: IDK. Seems to have worked out pretty well for Baylor though. In addition to having the #1 recruiting class they also picked up Chloe Jackson as a graduate transfer a starter who hit some key shots down the stretch to help beat UCONN.

well I know one of the kids on your list that would have been extremely interested in a UConn offer...............Baylor lucked out, there simply aren't that many grad transfers out there as accomplished as Chloe Jackson.............I sure hope that Geno finds one because they're certainly going to need some help............

Reaction Score
By evaluated I mean someone on the UCONN staff went to see them play in HS or AAU. I have no idea what offers were extend & neither do you. Those players did not end up at UCONN. I don’t like this outcome any more than you do. However, I respect the work and trust the judgement of the UCONN staff infinitely more. If the UCONN staff decided that offers should not have been extended, those decisions were only arrived at by putting in some work.
More importantly your contention that there are capable kids out there just ready to jump on a UCONN offer is unsupported. For starters these kids know much more than you and I do about who is leaning which way and who has been offered by which schools. Second, recruiting is a two way street and much less restrictive from the recruits POV. If these kids deem themselves worthy and desire to play at UCONN nothing is preventing them from picking up the phone and calling the UCONN staff. The UCONN post and bench situation has also been well know for a while with the only exception being the early departure of Azura for the WNBA-which is something I'm sure caught the staff off guard.
Stop mentioning Sammie Puisis!! Please.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
well I know one of the kids on your list that would have been extremely interested in a UConn offer.....Baylor lucked out, there simply aren't that many grad transfers out there as accomplished as Chloe Jackson...I sure hope that Geno finds one because they're certainly going to need some help..
That's a little flippant to say Baylor lucked out IMO. Just like ND did the year before in bringing on Lili Thompson, evaluating graduate transfers is what every good program should do every year. UCONN is certainly a good program and evaluated two Graduate transfers this past spring in Danni Williams and Ariel Howard. Both are having a positive impact and contributing to their current teams. Sarah Imobioh was also evaluated & offered as a graduate transfer in 2015 by UCONN before she choose South Carolina. This work is being done by the UCONN staff and will likely remain invisible to you. You want to see results-like yesterday because that's the only metric you can relate to. I will remain determined to point out the most important metric which is the work and effort that goes into producing the results.

Reaction Score
Do we know if Geno is looking at any international players that can join the 2019 class? If so which players is he looking at? Any JUCO players too?

Reaction Score
That's a little flippant to say Baylor lucked out IMO. Just like ND did the year before in bringing on Lili Thompson, evaluating graduate transfers is what every good program should do every year. UCONN is certainly a good program and evaluated two Graduate transfers this past spring in Danni Williams and Ariel Howard. Both are having a positive impact and contributing to their current teams. Sarah Imobioh was also evaluated & offered as a graduate transfer in 2015 by UCONN before she choose South Carolina. This work is being done by the UCONN staff and will likely remain invisible to you. You want to see results-like yesterday because that's the only metric you can relate to. I will remain determined to point out the most important metric which is the work and effort that goes into producing the results.

I'm saying that Baylor was lucky that a player of Chloe Jackson's ability was available as a graduate transfer..............same goes for Mississippi State with Howard who has become such an important part of their team.................speaking of which do you know whether UConn actually offered her? She certainly would have been a helpful front court player for them too...................................I'm not aware of a similar quality graduate transfer that will be available for next season................if you know of one please let us know.........

Reaction Score
Do we know if Geno is looking at any international players that can join the 2019 class? If so which players is he looking at? Any JUCO players too?
No one outside the coaching staff has any clue and won't have until and if they bring somebody on board.

Reaction Score
Jordan Hosey
Victoria Gaines
Ayana Mitchell

A few 6’1 forwards who could probably provide post depth to the team next year. Mitchell is actually pretty good and could possibly start at Uconn next year and improve her draft stock vs staying at LSU.

Reaction Score
Jordan Hosey
Victoria Gaines
Ayana Mitchell

A few 6’1 forwards who could probably provide post depth to the team next year. Mitchell is actually pretty good and could possibly start at Uconn next year and improve her draft stock vs staying at LSU.

I don't see any of them as game changers but certainly pretty decent ball players................are all three graduate students free to transfer immediately?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't see any of them as game changers but certainly pretty decent ball players......are all three graduate students free to transfer immediately?

Probably should take this to a different thread but Mitchell's very good. She's a career 58% shooter from the field and is averaging 10 boards a game this season.

Reaction Score
Probably should take this to a different thread but Mitchell's very good. She's a career 58% shooter from the field and is averaging 10 boards a game this season.

any reason to think she would want to transfer at this point in her career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom