2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 30 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTC

Reaction Score
By 2020 there will be two guards remaining (CW & Coombs) depending on any transfers or international adds next year. There will certainly be room for a couple more.
By 2020 how many forwards and centers will be remaining?

Reaction Score
According to my source we have made offers but they DO NOT include the following players:

Paige Bueckers
Haley Van Lith
Caitlin Clark
Kamilla Cardosa
Sarah Goforth

So we are talking about these ladies but apparently the coaches aren't.

I think Bueckers had an UConn offer in junior high school................

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
By 2020 how many forwards and centers will be remaining?

Going into '20 UConn will have Walker, Griffin, and Nelson-Ododa at the wing/forward/center positions. That's it barring other additions, and I think there will be an addition or two.

Reaction Score
Going into '20 UConn will have Walker, Griffin, and Nelson-Ododa at the wing/forward/center positions. That's it barring other additions, and I think there will be an addition or two.
Did you forget Danger??
Who are those you expect to fill the voids --will they compete? Not a comment--a question.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Speaking of height, here's an ESPNw article on Ms. Natalijia Marshall, which gives a good introductory a to zed for those who have not read up on her.

Natalija Marshall, emerging as one of New York's finest, leads Christ the King into Hoophall Classic

If memory serves correct, she's taken unofficials to UConn and ND (attended "recruitapalooza" in 2017). According to this article she's going to start taking officials this spring and wants to make her decision by May.

"Marshall said she will start taking visits this spring. Notre Dame and Stanford are the two schools she is sure she will tour, and Marshall hopes to make her final choice by late May.

"A family feel," Marshall said when asked what she is looking for in a university. "My parents and I are so close. I'm an only child, so it's just us three. Academics are a huge part of this, but I want a college that feels like a home away from home."

Good news with making an early decision is that the selected university and coach can put a check in the box if she commits there. If not, he/she has time to recruit over the summer and move on. Those deadline washouts are killers.

Can't argue with Stanford and academics, but Ms. Marshall has got to know there are a lot of tall folks committed to Stanford (2019's Prechtel and Belibi, 2020's Brink). Of course, I may have a vested interest in that perspective ;):rolleyes:!

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Did you forget Danger??
Who are those you expect to fill the voids --will they compete? Not a comment--a question.

The season in question is the 20-21 season, the one after next. By that point Dangerfield will have graduated.

As to voids, UConn is going to have to bring in a bunch of players, probably transfers and/or internationals after this season, and a big class the following (2020).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1547775749736.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The season in question is the 20-21 season, the one after next. By that point Dangerfield will have graduated.

As to voids, UConn is going to have to bring in a bunch of players, probably transfers and/or internationals after this season, and a big class the following (2020).

oK, I was referring to the 19/20 season, Thanks for the reply.
One more--I know the issues for Nov 19--My ignorant question (I don't know what I don't know)--is: Where do you see any of those needed for 19/.20 November coming from--Geno can search Europe, China, Australia, Canada--but whom among those that could be available could be willing to come to Uconn? US Players that Want Uconn is already signed up for next year. I would think the 20/20 class is loaded with offers and pampered by Geno and Company.
Transfers are notoriously unreliable--it takes more than a year to learn the Uconn system and US (unless grads) xfers must sit out ayear--not a wonderful out look for 19/20, I would surmise.

Reaction Score
oK, I was referring to the 19/20 season, Thanks for the reply.
One more--I know the issues for Nov 19--My ignorant question (I don't know what I don't know)--is: Where do you see any of those needed for 19/.20 November coming from--Geno can search Europe, China, Australia, Canada--but whom among those that could be available could be willing to come to Uconn? US Players that Want Uconn is already signed up for next year. I would think the 20/20 class is loaded with offers and pampered by Geno and Company.
Transfers are notoriously unreliable--it takes more than a year to learn the Uconn system and US (unless grads) xfers must sit out ayear--not a wonderful out look for 19/20, I would surmise.

mmmmmmmmphmmmmmm..............I'm under a self imposed gag order..................not allowed to point out the obvious absurdity of the situation...................

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

It's not ideal but they're going to have to pick up some players. They just have to. They'll have 9 going into the season otherwise and four of them have yet to make an impact (Bent, Irwin, Coombs, Camara) while another (Griffin) will be a freshmen. I'm assuming UConn will be looking over the grad transfer wire when the season ends. Also Europe for more long term help.

Reaction Score
It's not ideal but they're going to have to pick up some players. They just have to. They'll have 9 going into the season otherwise and four of them have yet to make an impact (Bent, Irwin, Coombs, Camara) while another (Griffin) will be a freshmen. I'm assuming UConn will be looking over the grad transfer wire when the season ends. Also Europe for more long term help.
Maybe Auriemma can get in touch with Calhoun's player agents over in Nigeria, Sudan, and Cameroon. A couple 6-7's wouldn't hurt.

Reaction Score

not sure if you have noticed but there have already been some graduate student transfers recently................here's one

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It seems, over the years, that UCONN will look for players who meet certain requirements.

• Talented
  • Hard worker
  • Team player
  • Coachable
  • Non-intrusive parents
  • Fits in with current players
  • Interested in UCONN
Probably many more, but those we know of. IF, a player meets these, Geno and Co will look at them very closely and give them a scholarship offer. i.e. if they find 2 players that fit, they'll give 2 offers. If they find 7 players that fit, I believe they would give 7 offers. With the understanding that Geno likes around 12-13 players max.

Position doesn't seem to be the #1 priority for recruiting. Granted they certainly look for different types of players and how they can be used at UCONN. But for instance they offered Cash/Jones/Williams who all were basically 4's. And more recently with the 2014 class, they had 3 guards already committed (Williams, Ekmark, Edwards) and still went after Nurse when she came in their sites. Sure it would be great if if worked out to 3 players, G/W/P, every year. But.

Sooo, if in 2020, they find 2, 3, 4, PG's they want, they'll make offers to all of them. If they only find 1 or 2 big players they want, that's what they will offer. I really don't think they'll make offers to players they are not really sold on, just because they have slots available. Just doesn't seem the way they work.
We already have four guards returning next season, so do we want three more? I know Andrews, Hailey Van Lith, and PB are terrific but it just makes sense to me that we need to get some height with KLS and NC graduating. BTW last year's offers are history.
1. We're not talking about next year, we're talking about the year after.
2. Read my post. I included you in it originally for a reason.

MTC

Reaction Score
It seems, over the years, that UCONN will look for players who meet certain requirements.

• Talented
  • Hard worker
  • Team player
  • Coachable
  • Non-intrusive parents
  • Fits in with current players
  • Interested in UCONN
Probably many more, but those we know of. IF, a player meets these, Geno and Co will look at them very closely and give them a scholarship offer. i.e. if they find 2 players that fit, they'll give 2 offers. If they find 7 players that fit, I believe they would give 7 offers. With the understanding that Geno likes around 12-13 players max.

Position doesn't seem to be the #1 priority for recruiting. Granted they certainly look for different types of players and how they can be used at UCONN. But for instance they offered Cash/Jones/Williams who all were basically 4's. And more recently with the 2014 class, they had 3 guards already committed (Williams, Ekmark, Edwards) and still went after Nurse when she came in their sites. Sure it would be great if if worked out to 3 players, G/W/P, every year. But.

Sooo, if in 2020, they find 2, 3, 4, PG's they want, they'll make offers to all of them. If they only find 1 or 2 big players they want, that's what they will offer. I really don't think they'll make offers to players they are not really sold on, just because they have slots available. Just doesn't seem the way they work.
It might work in the ideal world but in the real world you sometimes have to do things you don't want to. We need some big players that can both rebound and score and we need them for next year. Otherwise teams like Stanford, Baylor, and even South Carolina are going to be a problems for years to come. So in 2020 we should cast a big net and try to land at least 4 big fish and a couple small ones also. My only requirements would be that they are talented, hard-working, and athletic team players.

Reaction Score
It might work in the ideal world but in the real world you sometimes have to do things you don't want to. We need some big players that can both rebound and score and we need them for next year. Otherwise teams like Stanford, Baylor, and even South Carolina are going to be a problems for years to come. So in 2020 we should cast a big net and try to land at least 4 big fish and a couple small ones also. My only requirements would be that they are talented, hard-working, and athletic team players.

First you say: "in the real world you sometimes have to do things you don't want to".

Then this: "My only requirements would be that they are talented, hard-working, and athletic team players". ... who are big, are excellent rebounders and scorers and ready to step right in.

That you consider realistic?

I see little difference between your "ideal" world and your real world. Your requirements seem to be the same as those Meyers7 listed so I'm missing your point. I guess you are OK with them having meddling parents and if they don't get along with the rest of the team since those weren't listed. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
First you say: "in the real world you sometimes have to do things you don't want to".

Then this: "My only requirements would be that they are talented, hard-working, and athletic team players". ... who are big, are excellent rebounders and scorers and ready to step right in.

That you consider realistic?

I see little difference between your "ideal" world and your real world. Your requirements seem to be the same as those Meyers7 listed so I'm missing your point. I guess you are OK with them having meddling parents and if they don't get along with the rest of the team since those weren't listed. :rolleyes:

are you saying that every top 100 player that Geno didn't recruit had meddling parents and/or problems getting along with others? UConn could have and can now easily recruit a few really good players who checked off the majority but perhaps not all of the boxes in addition to the top dogs.............

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
are you saying that every top 100 player that Geno didn't recruit had meddling parents and/or problems getting along with others? UConn could have and can now easily recruit a few really good players who checked off the majority but perhaps not all of the boxes in addition to the top dogs...

I wasn't referring to Geno or his recruiting style at all. MTC was saynig that the list of traits that someone posted was unrealistic and then went on to list most of those traits as what Geno should go out and find. MTC can't have it both ways.

Reaction Score
I wasn't referring to Geno or his recruiting style at all. MTC was saynig that the list of traits that someone posted was unrealistic and then went on to list most of those traits as what Geno should go out and find. MTC can't have it both ways.

got ya...............the frustrating part is we see some really good players on lesser programs every week that one would think would generally fit Geno's criteria yet they never get a sniff because for the most part only the very, very best players are targeted...............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
got ya.....the frustrating part is we see some really good players on lesser programs every week that one would think would generally fit Geno's criteria yet they never get a sniff because for the most part only the very, very best players are targeted.....
Some, who were not top ten, are having very good seasons, even better than some UConn stars. They may or may not reach the level Geno would have coached them to but, they are good enough to help their teams reach the NCAA Tournament. When UConn is in a situation like it is now, (potentially short on players) I would like to see Geno recruit players that are not the very best and coach them up like Mississippi State's coach does. However, he probably will not change his way of thinking or recruiting after all his success throughout the years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Duncanville transfer and five-star recruit Hannah Gusters is yet to receive UIL clearance to play for the Lady Cardinals, but it hasn’t mattered, as fellow blue-chipper Sarah Andrews has returned from a pre-district injury to lead MacArthur to a perfect run through the first half of district and then some.

Reactions: MTC

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/18

Sonia Citron: 20 points, 10 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 blocks

Hailey Van Lith: 35 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 6 steals

Saylor Poffenbarger: 25 points

Paige Bueckers: 26 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics