2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 29 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin nominated for participation in the McD All-American game. Not sure she'll make it with two games played this year.

Final rosters will be announced on Jan 24.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any stats on how girls we offered last year in total? If we have say 3 scholarships available, do we only offer give out 3 offers? Do the players have to be a heavy lean toward Uconn to even get an offer? To me recruiting should be like fishing, you never catch all the ones you want but still want to catch more than one. I'm sure the coaches talked to each other about a player's interest level and have a strategy to try to land that player. Feel free to call me a novice and say the system doesn't work that way.

that's a subject of much contention here................UConn is very tight lipped about the offers they give out...................all we know is that for the 2019 class there were at least four offers and one recruit actually committed...................the team is now in need of at least 3-4 players so one would hope that they make more then 3-4 offers but nobody knows but the powers that be...........

Reaction Score
so we have UConn included in the list of finalists for Andrews, Gusters, Marshall and Reese................am I correct in saying that we think only Gusters actually has an offer at this time?

MTC

Reaction Score
so we have UConn included in the list of finalists for Andrews, Gusters, Marshall and Reese......am I correct in saying that we think only Gusters actually has an offer at this time?
II know in other sports coaches will invite players to come in for an onsite visit even if the player has little interest (thinking they may increase their chances with the face-to-face interaction. I would do everything in my power to land KC including having Crystal texting her.

MTC

Reaction Score
that's a subject of much contention here......UConn is very tight lipped about the offers they give out....all we know is that for the 2019 class there were at least four offers and one recruit actually committed....the team is now in need of at least 3-4 players so one would hope that they make more then 3-4 offers but nobody knows but the powers that be......
Is there an advantage by keeping offers secret or is this strictly an ego thing?

Reaction Score
Is there an advantage by keeping offers secret or is this strictly an ego thing?

there are numerous reasons I suppose, NCAA recruiting limitations on what can be said, strategic reasons and just a general policy of keeping recruiting on the down low................what's become confusing is that recruits are including UConn in their list of schools but we don't know if that is wishful thinking on their part or whether they have actually been offered................

MTC

Reaction Score
there are numerous reasons I suppose, NCAA recruiting limitations on what can be said, strategic reasons and just a general policy of keeping recruiting on the down low......what's become confusing is that recruits are including UConn in their list of schools but we don't know if that is wishful thinking on their part or whether they have actually been offered......
This sounds like the tail wagging the dog to me.

Reaction Score

I'm certain nobody forces Geno and co. to do anything they aren't totally comfortable with......................some recruits may let the process go to their heads a bit but they are much in demand and it's a big decision for them..................

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd scored 40 points last Saturday 1/12. She's averaging 30 per game this month.

Sasha Goforth scored 17 points on Tuesday (1/15).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Olivia Miles hit 5 threes en route to 21 points on Monday (1/14).

Reaction Score
There are many reasons I can think of for not publicizing offers including that some are retracted based on a variety of factors. Others are "soft," meaning one will come based on how the recruiting process evolves. Many do become public but really no one's business except the coaching staff and the recruit until everything is firm.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
There are many reasons I can think of for not publicizing offers including that some are retracted based on a variety of factors. Others are "soft," meaning one will come based on how the recruiting process evolves. Many do become public but really no one's business except the coaching staff and the recruit until everything is firm.

I'm pretty sure that the school couldn't publicize offers even if they wanted to, as under NCAA rules a college coach is not permitted to publicly comment on any potential recruit who has not signed a letter of intent. Recruits can say whatever they want -- or can keep quiet.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Bob Corwin evaluation from recent Blue Star Invitational:

Amari DeBerry, 6-5, center, Williamsville South High School (Williamsville, New York)

DeBerry is considered one of the top post prospects in the 2021 class. She runs well, has good hands and can finish near the rim. DeBerry posted 17 points (in close) in the 63-51 loss to Lancaster Catholic (Lancaster, Pennsylvania) but took several “frustration looking” foul line area shots when unable to get the ball in her “strike zone” (mid-key and closer to the rim). Building greater shooting range and greater patience (given she has teammates of much less ability than herself) before taking foul line area shots (not likely to go in) could be two items to work on.

Azzi Fudd, 5-11, shooting guard, St. John’s College High School (Chevy Chase, DC)

Readers may be tiring of my writing about Fudd. The problem is that she keeps doing special things in almost every event that she plays in. Here, she created, took and made closely guarded mid-range shots to hold off runs by St. John Vianney. Fudd finished with 25 points.

Blue Star Elite Invitational 2019

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does anyone have any stats on how girls we offered last year in total? If we have say 3 scholarships available, do we only offer give out 3 offers? Do the players have to be a heavy lean toward Uconn to even get an offer? To me recruiting should be like fishing, you never catch all the ones you want but still want to catch more than one. I'm sure the coaches talked to each other about a player's interest level and have a strategy to try to land that player. Feel free to call me a novice and say the system doesn't work that way.
that's a subject of much contention here......UConn is very tight lipped about the offers they give out....all we know is that for the 2019 class there were at least four offers and one recruit actually committed....the team is now in need of at least 3-4 players so one would hope that they make more then 3-4 offers but nobody knows but the powers that be......

It seems, over the years, that UCONN will look for players who meet certain requirements.

• Talented
  • Hard worker
  • Team player
  • Coachable
  • Non-intrusive parents
  • Fits in with current players
  • Interested in UCONN
Probably many more, but those we know of. IF, a player meets these, Geno and Co will look at them very closely and give them a scholarship offer. i.e. if they find 2 players that fit, they'll give 2 offers. If they find 7 players that fit, I believe they would give 7 offers. With the understanding that Geno likes around 12-13 players max.

Position doesn't seem to be the #1 priority for recruiting. Granted they certainly look for different types of players and how they can be used at UCONN. But for instance they offered Cash/Jones/Williams who all were basically 4's. And more recently with the 2014 class, they had 3 guards already committed (Williams, Ekmark, Edwards) and still went after Nurse when she came in their sites. Sure it would be great if if worked out to 3 players, G/W/P, every year. But.

Sooo, if in 2020, they find 2, 3, 4, PG's they want, they'll make offers to all of them. If they only find 1 or 2 big players they want, that's what they will offer. I really don't think they'll make offers to players they are not really sold on, just because they have slots available. Just doesn't seem the way they work.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No one could blame Middletown girls basketball player Saylor Poffenbarger for being a little nervous when coaches from big-time college programs show up to watch her play.

But the heavily recruited sophomore’s jitters typically vanish once she performs a task destined to be overshadowed by all the other things she does on the court afterward — the opening tip off.

Keep in mind, coaches from some of the most elite programs in women’s basketball turn out to watch Poffenbarger.

When the Knights opened this season against Frederick, Maryland head coach Brenda Frese was there. When the Knights played Smithsburg on Jan. 8, a UConn assistant was there.

Also coaches — usually assistants — from Tennessee, Kentucky, Penn State, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Florida, Arkansas, Oregon and Missouri have showed up at games or practices this year to watch Poffenbarger.

It’s easy to see what draws such interest. Aside from Poffenbarger, there aren’t many 6-foot-2 guards on girls basketball teams in these parts, especially ones who can flourish anywhere on the court, be it inside the paint or outside the 3-point arc.

Poffenbarger started turning plenty of heads at an AAU tournament in Chicago the summer before her freshman year at Middletown. Two of the coaches who watched her play there were Frese and UConn head coach Geno Auriemma.

“It was a cool thing for a lot of kids that were from Maryland to see Brenda and Geno and Geno’s entire staff just watching her play,” Amy Poffenbarger said. “It was a great experience, not just for Saylor but all of her teammates, too.”

Article is behind a subscription wall. PM me if you want to read it but don't know how to get by the wall.

Prep Report: Knights' Poffenbarger thrives with recruiters' eyes on her

Reaction Score
It seems, over the years, that UCONN will look for players who meet certain requirements.

• Talented
  • Hard worker
  • Team player
  • Coachable
  • Non-intrusive parents
  • Fits in with current players
  • Interested in UCONN
Probably many more, but those we know of. IF, a player meets these, Geno and Co will look at them very closely and give them a scholarship offer. i.e. if they find 2 players that fit, they'll give 2 offers. If they find 7 players that fit, I believe they would give 7 offers. With the understanding that Geno likes around 12-13 players max.

Position doesn't seem to be the #1 priority for recruiting. Granted they certainly look for different types of players and how they can be used at UCONN. But for instance they offered Cash/Jones/Williams who all were basically 4's. And more recently with the 2014 class, they had 3 guards already committed (Williams, Ekmark, Edwards) and still went after Nurse when she came in their sites. Sure it would be great if if worked out to 3 players, G/W/P, every year. But.

Sooo, if in 2020, they find 2, 3, 4, PG's they want, they'll make offers to all of them. If they only find 1 or 2 big players they want, that's what they will offer. I really don't think they'll make offers to players they are not really sold on, just because they have slots available. Just doesn't seem the way they work.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said..............I just hope Geno gives a few "border line" prospects the benefit of the doubt because let's face facts, UConn must add many players in the next two classes just to have any kind of bench........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/16

Perhaps a breakout game for Amari DeBerry Wednesday night. She scored 34 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in an overtime thriller, including hitting a three with 18 seconds left.

Standing 6-foot-5 with long arms, sound footwork and the ability to finish with either hand, DeBerry presents a giant mismatch for nearly all of her high school opponents but has expanded her perimeter game to boost her already blue-chip recruiting stock.

“She’s an inside-outside player now,” Dolan said. “She’s got a beautiful jump shot. When she knows she’s feeling it and she gets it on the perimeter and they aren’t coming out on her, she better take that shot.”

Williamsville South rallies late to knock Amherst from unbeaten ranks

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Reaction Score
According to my source we have made offers but they DO NOT include the following players:

Paige Bueckers
Haley Van Lith
Caitlin Clark
Kamilla Cardosa
Sarah Goforth

So we are talking about these ladies but apparently the coaches aren't.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
According to my source we have made offers but they DO NOT include the following players:

Paige Bueckers
Haley Van Lith
Caitlin Clark
Kamilla Cardosa
Sarah Goforth

Your source needs to know that Bueckers and Van Lith were offered more than a year ago.

It's not yet confirmed if UConn is even recruiting Clark or Cardosa.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn’t Geno comment on Brunelle?
No! The article that appeared in CT newspaper on April 15th within minutes after Samantha announcement of a ND commitment which stated that Samantha did not have a UCONN offer quoted "sources familiar with the program".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers
Haley Van Lith
Caitlin Clark
Kamilla Cardosa
Sarah Goforth
Consider-the-Source.jpg

MTC

Reaction Score
We already have four guards returning next season, so do we want three more? I know Andrews, Hailey Van Lith, and PB are terrific but it just makes sense to me that we need to get some height with KLS and NC graduating. BTW last year's offers are history.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We already have four guards returning next season, so do we want three more? I know Andrews, Hailey Van Lith, and PB are terrific but it just makes sense to me that we need to get some height with KLS and NC graduating. BTW last year's offers are history.

By 2020 there will be two guards remaining (CW & Coombs) depending on any transfers or international adds next year. There will certainly be room for a couple more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom