2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Chicago's backup PG Jamierra Faulkner was a 3rd round pick. This will be her 5th season (when she returns from injury).
So basically 1 player in the history of the league?

Reaction Score

Well, pretty close to a cut. Dealt for a 3rd round pick.

People on twitter talking this up as part of a brilliant rebuild by Reeve. LOL.

That 2017 Draft must be really bad for Coates to be the 2nd overall pick.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So basically 1 player in the history of the league?

Well, that's the only one I know of the top of my head. After doing some research other examples include.

Stephanie Talbot (#33 overall, 2014)
Lynetta Kizer (#29 overall, 2012)
Krystal Thomas (#36 overall, 2011)

That's pretty much it for active players.

So, yes, Chicago traded her for basically nothing. But if there were no takers, they were almost surely cutting her.

She does make some sense in Minnesota because Fowles is a traditional center like Coates. They are already built to accommodate that style of post. Chicago seems to want to play uptempo and spread the floor, which exactly what Coates can't do.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well, that's the only one I know of the top of my head. After doing some research other examples include.

So, yes, Chicago traded her for basically nothing. But if there were no takers, they were almost surely cutting her.

She does make some sense in Minnesota because Fowles is a traditional center like Coates. They are already built to accommodate that style of post. Chicago seems to want to play uptempo and spread the floor, which exactly what Coates can't do.
Thanks for researching. I figured it wasn't much they were giving up for her - this coming draft seems particularly weak on top of that. I believe the Mercury also gave up their 2nd round pick for Talbot to the Lynx (I know this is the Sky thread). But even the 2nd round in this coming draft won't be that much IMHO. We will see tho. Some of these players can certainly surprise!

Reaction Score
Just saying - the guy knows what it takes to win on the pro level and win big.

Geno's success in college is unparalleled but I don't know if the same approach would work as well in the pros.
Would you say the Olympic players he coached and who gave back tremendous feedback regarding Geno qualifies a little?

Reaction Score
I don't know if Coates will last in MN. I lost track of her after her injury in college.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Chicago's backup PG Jamierra Faulkner was a 3rd round pick. This will be her 5th season (when she returns from injury).
Becky Hammon wasn't even a third round pick -- she wasn't drafted at all! She did OK.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We finally know the source of that nasty black eye from training camp:

Reaction Score

A couple of Minnesota third round picks are still WNBA-active. Temi Fagbenle was a #35 pick. Asia Taylor was a #36 pick.

This year, Paris Kea is a third round pick that has stuck to the Fever roster. Marina Mabrey hasn’t been cut by the Sparks yet. ATL’s third round pick is a Chinese big whose name escapes me, but would be an intriguing prospect if she should ever show up.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A couple of Minnesota third round picks are still WNBA-active. Temi Fagbenle was a #35 pick. Asia Taylor was a #36 pick.

This year, Paris Kea is a third round pick that has stuck to the Fever roster. Marina Mabrey hasn’t been cut by the Sparks yet. ATL’s third round pick is a Chinese big whose name escapes me, but would be an intriguing prospect if she should ever show up.

Mabrey was a 2nd round pick.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I believe the Mercury also gave up their 2nd round pick for Talbot to the Lynx (I know this is the Sky thread). But even the 2nd round in this coming draft won't be that much IMHO. We will see tho. Some of these players can certainly surprise!

Phoenix traded Talbot for Minnesota's 2020 second round pick. Phoenix did not give up its second round pick as part of the trade.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Brilliant? In the history of the league, has there ever been a 3rd round pick who lasted more than 1-2 seasons? Seems like Chicago pretty much gave her away, but no idea how good she will end up being...

Becky Hammon wasn't even a third round pick -- she wasn't drafted at all! She did OK.

First, a caveat, about Becky Hammon.

Hammon was part of the 1999 Draft -- the ABL draft. This involved the drafting of players who had played professionally in the defunct ABL. The talent depth was MUCH deeper. As an example, in the first round, existing pros such as Yolanda Griffith, Natalie Williams, Dawn Staley, Jennifer Azzi, Tari Phillips, Crystal Robinson, Tonya Edwards, etc. were taken. Only four college players were even taken in the first two rounds combined (24 picks).

Second, here are some more historical examples of third round picks not listed above:

• Jia Perkins (#35 overall, 2004) -- 14 WNBA seasons, 2009 All Star, 2013 All-Defensive Second Team, 2017 WNBA Champion (with Minnesota)
  • Catheryine Kraayeveld (#27 overall, 2005) -- 9 WNBA seasons
  • Charde Houston (#30 overall, 2008) -- 7 WNBA seasons, 2009 All Star, 2011 WNBA Champion (with Minnesota)
  • Jessica Adair (#34 overall, 2009) -- 2 WNBA seasons, 2011 WNBA Champion (with Minnesota)
  • Vicki Baugh (#25 overall, 2012) -- 3 WNBA seasons
  • Sydney Carter (#27 overall, 2012) -- 4 WNBA seasons
  • Angel Goodrich (#29 overall, 2013) -- 3 WNBA seasons
  • Theresa Plaisance (#27 overall, 2014) -- 5 WNBA seasons
  • Asia Taylor (#36 overall, 2014) -- 4 WNBA seasons
Teams can also use picks in the third round for foreign players who may or may not ever come over. As an example, Spanish player and EuroBasket Women MVP Alba Torrens was a 2009 third round pick for the Connecticut Sun.

There is little-to-no risk on taking a flyer on such a player with the third round pick.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess not that far going from a Husky to a Puma.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Gabby gets the starting nod at PF. Dolson also starts as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom