2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Wade doesn't get it. she needs 20 mins. at least.

Wade is in his first year as head coach and general manager of the Sky.

Chicago is 15-11 and in fifth place in the WNBA, half a game behind Los Angeles (the team Chicago beat on Friday) for fourth place (and a first round playoff bye). Chicago was 12-22 in 2017 and 13-21 last year, under the former coach.
  • Chicago surrendered 90.1 ppg in 2018; this year, the number is down to 81.6 ppg. While the defense could get better, that is a tremendous improvement.
  • Despite not having dominant post players on the roster (but merely "very good" post players), Chicago ranks 3rd in the WNBA in blocks 4th in the WNBA in rebounding.
  • On offense, Chicago ranks 2nd in the WNBA in PPG, 2nd in assists per game, and 3rd in field goal percentage.
  • As for Gabby Williams, she has done very well as a backup PG (16.3 minutes per game), transitioning from her PF role last year. But she still needs to improve her shooting to warrant even more playing time --- 41.0 percent from the floor, 14.3 percent from three (5-35), 69.4 percent from the line (25-36). Given Gabby's ability to cross defenders over and her elite-level speed in the open court, she has to be able to finish at the rim or make free throws if she gets fouled.

To say that Wade "doesn't get it" overlooks what he has done this year with largely the same roster as last year (7 of the top 8 players, in terms of PPG, were on last year's roster).

Reaction Score
Wade is in his first year as head coach and general manager of the Sky.

Chicago is 15-11 and in fifth place in the WNBA, half a game behind Los Angeles (the team Chicago beat on Friday) for fourth place (and a first round playoff bye). Chicago was 12-22 in 2017 and 13-21 last year, under the former coach.
  • Chicago surrendered 90.1 ppg in 2018; this year, the number is down to 81.6 ppg. While the defense could get better, that is a tremendous improvement.
  • Despite not having dominant post players on the roster (but merely "very good" post players), Chicago ranks 3rd in the WNBA in blocks 4th in the WNBA in rebounding.
  • On offense, Chicago ranks 2nd in the WNBA in PPG, 2nd in assists per game, and 3rd in field goal percentage.
  • As for Gabby Williams, she has done very well as a backup PG (16.3 minutes per game), transitioning from her PF role last year. But she still needs to improve her shooting to warrant even more playing time --- 41.0 percent from the floor, 14.3 percent from three (5-35), 69.4 percent from the line (25-36). Given Gabby's ability to cross defenders over and her elite-level speed in the open court, she has to be able to finish at the rim or make free throws if she gets fouled.
To say that Wade "doesn't get it" overlooks what he has done this year with largely the same roster as last year (7 of the top 8 players, in terms of PPG, were on last year's roster).
There is so much parity in league that I am not sure you can assign coaching skill to any coach in league.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
That doesn't make sense to me. If there is so much parity in the league, wouldn't that mean that coaching would be the ex-factor for teams doing well?

That being said, no one would confuse Las Vegas's roster for say, Indiana. Chicago has excellent talent at the guard spot, and good but not great talent in the post (Lavender injury definitely hurts). I'd say 4th/5th in league is probably close to their max potential, given I think that DC/CT/Vegas have been head and shoulders above everyone else all year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think Lou's been hanging around Dolson too much. Pink hair is one way to celebrate making the playoffs, I guess.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Or to show her support for breast cancer survivors. Wasn’t that tonight?

Yes, it was "Ladies Night" tonight and they wore black alternate unis with pink accents. Cheyenne Parker also had her hair dyed pink.

Lots of players wore pink sneakers. Vandersloot seemed to injure herself but was fine after going back to the bench and changing into a blue pair.

Reaction Score
Yes, it was "Ladies Night" tonight and they wore black alternate unis with pink accents. Cheyenne Parker also had her hair dyed pink.

Lots of players wore pink sneakers. Vandersloot seemed to injure herself but was fine after going back to the bench and changing into a blue pair.
Thanks! We helped our friend’s daughter move into her new home so I’ll be watching the game with League Pass tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom