2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Sky are in LA on Sunday the 30th of June. I am hoping she is back by then. If she is back, will probably also make the trip to Vegas on Tuesday July 2nd.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I just got back from vacation, so I haven't been around to bang the drum much. That being said...

Don't look now but Chicago is on a 4-game win streak. I will await the apologies to James Wade in the space below.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Another solid game by well-known point guard Gabby Williams. Has to be the first player in league history to primarily power forward one year and point guard the next.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When she arrived at UConn Gabby told Geno she was a point guard. Geno had other ideas, primarily because back then she didn't handle the ball well enough or shoot well enough to play guard at UConn. Her game sure has developed.

“We’re a good passing team,” Auriemma said, “and it’s not just our guards. Most times, if you look at basketball closely, when the guards have the ball good things happen. And a lot of times when they pass it to a big guy on the wing, or even on the high post, the offense dies unless that guy shoots it because they can only make plays for themselves. So we spend a lot of time looking for and recruiting wings, post players that can make a play, and not just for themselves. People who have been following our program know it has been like that for long, long time.”

“I’ve always known how to pass,” Williams said, “it’s natural for me. It’s a lot of our offense, the way we run things. We run a lot of things through the middle, we play a lot of high-low. Our mentality requires big guys to want to distribute the ball. … I love being the ‘point-center.’ When coach told me my freshman year I was going to stay in the paint, I was like, ‘ohhh, this not what I do. But learning I can still handle the ball and make those decisions has been fun for me.”

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

From last night's benefit dinner. I guess Cheyenne didn't get the memo on the color scheme!

Reaction Score
Another solid game by well-known point guard Gabby Williams. Has to be the first player in league history to primarily power forward one year and point guard the next.

It is always interesting how coaches deal with a unique skill set. Some try to force the player into the norm for a position, and others try to fit a system around a unique player. At the college level Gabby was very effective as an undersized PF, athletic enough to make up for most size differences and Geno found a role for her offensively at the high post that utilized her skills.

I think last year she was asked to play a traditional PF role against now even bigger physical mismatches and it really didn't work. Now a coach is trying to use her in another way in a dramatic change of role. To me she seems comfortable on offense except for the perimeter shots of course, and I already knew she would be able to rebound and defend guards and wings at a very high level. For now when she gets a perimeter shot she takes it. I'm not sure if she can improve enough to keep taking them, and that test will probably ultimately determine her upside, but the ballhandling should be ok and defense/rebounding very good so I think the floor is high enough that she might have a long career without a 3pt shot.

Collier's situation in Minnesota is also very interesting. A college star with an offensive game very inside oriented, with major concerns over how it would translate in the WNBA, or would she have to develop a 3pt shot to play SF. While her 3 is probably better than Gabby's the jury is still out on that too, but Minnesota has found unique ways to use her interior skills by having her start outside playing the SF, then ducking in to post up the player more her size frequently. It seems to be working well, and both teams should be complimented for finding ways to utilize those two players talents instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So Chicago won today to snap a 4 game losing streak and are also getting healthy. Faulkner is due back soon and so is Lou. Also, Eurobasket finished so Ndour, who won MVP, should be back soon.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Chicago plays Minnesota tonight at 8 PM. I believe this one is on CBS Sports Network. Should be an energetic crowd. With the EYBL Nike Nationals tournament taking place at nearby McCormick Place, there should be lots of AAU teams and college coaches in attendance at this one.

I know Dawn Staley tweeted that she would be there. Wonder if any UConn coaches will be there to see Pheesa.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lou returned to action today against NY playing 7 minutes, no points.

She only had one real shooting opportunity and she missed a 3 that was on-line but short. She played at the 4 and NY went right at her with decent success. She shouldn't be guarding WNBA 4s much.

On the other hand, Dolson is having a bounceback season and Gabby looked great in the last two games. So the rest of the Chicago UConn contingent is thriving.

I fear this will be a lost season for Lou. The best thing for her will be overseas play where she will get lots of minutes and can gain confidence at the pro level.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Liberty out scored 28-2 to end first half. Ugly. Alot of the neew players made it back from Eurobasket. First time I saw Marine Johannes. She looks like an interesting player. Allen looked pretty good coming back. Alot of players need to gel.

Anyone know the reason Asia did not play?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The Sky are getting the 2nd half of the season started off in true WNBA fashion - with a travel nightmare. They've now been at the airport for over 9 hours.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The Sky made it to Connecticut early this morning but Lou's bag didn't:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics