2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That's the problem, the game has devolved into a series of "clips" that sell shampoo and $400.00 shoes.

If you write off the good plays as mere "clips" and only focus on the bad plays, any sport at any level will look bad.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
By all accounts, the WNBA is almost universally acknowledged to be the best women's professional basketball league in the world (based on the quality of the play, not the financial results). That seems to be borne out every four years in the Olympic games.

If you are comparing the quality of team play in the W to the college game as played by UConn or Notre Dame, don't underestimate the significance of the 24-second shot clock. It just doesn't allow the same amount of passing to break down the defense as Geno's teams can do. And the defenses are too good to make the mistakes that even good college teams make.

Go back and watch UConn games against really good defensive teams like Baylor or (recently) Mississippi State. Or watch the game against UCLA in the Sweet Sixteen in 2019. Geno acknowledged in a sideline interview during that game that the normal UConn offense wasn't working against the Bruins because they were too big and athletic, so he would have to beat them one-on-one. The game was only won when Crystal started making highlight reel shots in the 4th quarter.

In the WNBA, that situation exists in every game.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I mean, both teams shot 50% last night. There were a lot of made shots. I could easily find you video clips of both teams making the extra pass to find the open shooter, too.

Not only that, the teams combined for 48 assists to 28 turnovers, while combining to assist on 62% of made shots.

Reaction Score
the Sky defense( all of those veterans), except for Gabby. is awful. the Sky passing is awful, except for Gabby, who continues to be very good at finding the open person. Gabby's really becoming a good shooter, and continues to be aggressive to the basket. after playing little in the first half last night, she really added life last night at both ends of the floor in the second half. ridiculous that she's not playing many more minutes. oh, and I watched Samuelson closely on defense, and I thought she did a decent job staying in front of her (wo)man. silly for people to criticize her for not getting out on EDD and Tolliver, (veterans and all stars) on 3's.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I mean, both teams shot 50% last night. There were a lot of made shots. I could easily find you video clips of both teams making the extra pass to find the open shooter, too.
Are you sure you aren;t watch poor defense thinking it is great offense? :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vandersloot led the league in assists last year and is leading the league again this year.

And 2 years ago. By a wide margin each season. Set the league record for total single season assists last year.

Reaction Score
Vandersloot led the league in assists last year and is leading the league again this year.
and 2nd in turnovers. in the games I've watched this season I think she's been pretty sloppy with the ball, lots of ill-advised passes. handling the ball as much as she does, as she goes so will go the Sky.

Reaction Score
They shot 50% from the field and scored 85 points. Not sure how that translates to "no flow".

The problem I am seeing on offense is reckless passes leading to too many turnovers. Some of that falls on Vandersloot. That has always been part of her game. Lots of assists and a fair amount of turnovers. She had 4 turnovers last night but 8 assists to still maintain a 2:1 A/TO ratio.

What Chicago can't have is the turnovers by the frontcourt. 9 combined turnovers by Parker, Lavender and Dolson is way too much.

When Chicago doesn't just throw the ball away, the offense has been pretty good the last couple of games. 83 last game. 85 tonight. Those are point totals that can win games. *if* you play some semblance of defense.
[/QUOTE
Teams score a lot when the other team score's a lot more. So that 85 points is very misleading.

Reaction Score
and 2nd in turnovers. in the games I've watched this season I think she's been pretty sloppy with the ball, lots of ill-advised passes. handling the ball as much as she does, as she goes so will go the Sky.
Feast or famine.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sky lead the Storm 44-34 at half but had a 20 pt lead which is leaking oil.

Lou got her first 3 pt shot (1-3). :) In the bigger picture, I thought she played really good positional defense and got 3 rebounds (0 TO). She did not look out of place by any means. :)

Gabby Williams continues to make the transition to guard and I am very surprised by how tight her handle is. She had a very nice drive and had played some strong defense but her shooting still needs to improve which I am sure it will.

Reaction Score
Sky lead the Storm 44-34 at half but had a 20 pt lead which is leaking oil.

Lou got her first 3 pt shot (1-3). :) In the bigger picture, I thought she played really good positional defense and got 3 rebounds (0 TO). She did not look out of place by any means. :)

Gabby Williams continues to make the transition to guard and I am very surprised by how tight her handle is. She had a very nice drive and had played some strong defense but her shooting still needs to improve which I am sure it will.

I agree, you can tell Lou is getting more comfortable, I just wish the coach would play her more when the game seems to get right, she hasn’t played at all the second half, once Seattle made a run, he pretty much has stuck with his veterans

Reaction Score
I saw this also on twitter from once of the Chicago reporters

Katie Lou Samuelson is still trying to figure out her role with the Sky. Wade's been playing her a lot at 4 spot. Asked about it before the game, Lou said: "I'm trying to figure out myself, how to incorporate my game into that because I'm not necessarily a duck-in post player."

Reaction Score
The 1 for 3 is misleading as one was a buzzer three quarter court shot. What I noticed the Sky played some of their best ball with her in game.

Reaction Score
The 1 for 3 is misleading as one was a buzzer three quarter court shot. What I noticed the Sky played some of their best ball with her in game.

I thought it was me who noticed this last game and now this game, when the starters are in the game they have a habit of at times not moving the ball, and I think that is what results to a lot of there turnovers, I do noticed when Lou has been in the game, the ball does move around more

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The main thing I have noticed with Lou is that she needs to get stronger. Teams know they can go right at her on D and forwards know they can back her down in the post.

That said, she did as well as you can expect a rookie to do on Natasha Howard and I thought she had solid minutes overall.

The staters came out on fire and the bench players kept in going. Then, when the starters came back, the turnover monster returned. Sloot and Stef especially were on totally different pages. Seattle seemed to get more aggressive with the traps on defense and it worked well.

Stef looked awful at times with turnovers and needless fouls but was also 7-8 for 15 pts. The spacing she brings is a definitely an asset.

Parker was easily Chicago's best post today. Wish she was more consistent. She flashes the ability to be a star. But she has improved every year so maybe she will get there eventually.

Reaction Score
I thought it was me who noticed this last game and now this game, when the starters are in the game they have a habit of at times not moving the ball, and I think that is what results to a lot of there turnovers, I do noticed when Lou has been in the game, the ball does move around more
Yes, I always thought the best part of her game was quick ball movement. She made other players look good.

Reaction Score
I didn't see exactly where she did it, but I did see that it was giving her some trouble and she was talking to Stef about it. Bad luck - I thought it was a real positive performance, so I hate to see a setback like this.
Wait.... WHAT???:confused::confused:

Reaction Score
klsout.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members