2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 Chicago Sky (ft. Gabby, Lou & Stef)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Those Sky practices look a lot less intense than a UConn practice. Players jogging, coach not screaming at players demanding they do a drill exactly right, etc.

Can you imagine Geno walking up to one of his post player and says things like in the 2:48 mark of the second video?:rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Those Sky practices look a lot less intense than a UConn practice. Players jogging, coach not screaming at players demanding they do a drill exactly right, etc.
Can you imagine Geno walking up to one of his post player and says things like in the 2:48 mark of the second video?:rolleyes:

In the last two years, James Wade has won a WNBA championship as an assistant with the Lynx and 2 Russian championships and 2 Euroleague championships as an assistant with UMMC Ekaterinburg.

Maybe Geno should be taking notes from Coach Wade... ;)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Chicago Sky coach seems too much touchy/feely (not literally of course) in his communication. That must feel very strange to new Uconn player. It feels like he is talking to kids and not professionals.

I guess most professionals are more immature than the college kids. ;)

Reaction Score
In the last two years, James Wade has won a WNBA championship as an assistant with the Lynx and 2 Russian championships and 2 Euroleague championships as an assistant with UMMC Ekaterinburg.

Sorry, but no one will ever put Coach Wade in the same league as Geno. You can if you want to climb out on that limb by yourself.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sorry, but no one will ever put Coach Wade in the same league as Geno. You can if you want to climb out on that limb by yourself.

Just saying - the guy knows what it takes to win on the pro level and win big.

Geno's success in college is unparalleled but I don't know if the same approach would work as well in the pros.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saying - the guy knows what it takes to win on the pro level and win big.

Geno's success in college is unparalleled but I don't know if the same approach would work as well in the pros.

maybe we should add, as an assistant.

Reaction Score
Refer to my earlier post where I did say that. Twice.

Yes, I saw that, but being an assistant on a team that wins big does not mean you know what it takes to win. Just ask all Bill Belichick's assistant who has gone on to become head coach elsewhere.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, I saw that, but being an assistant on a team that wins big does not mean you know what it takes to win. Just ask all Bill Belichick's assistant who has gone on to become head coach elsewhere.

Of course, having been a good assistant doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a good head coach.

But he knows what Cheryl Reeve's practices looked like. He knows what Miguel Mendez's practices look like at UMMC. He knows what Dan Hughes' practices looked like, having been an assistant to him in San Antonio.

Whether he has their ability as coaches remains to be seen. But he at least has firsthand knowledge of their methods and I would expect that informs the way he runs his own practices now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course, having been a good assistant doesn't mean he'll be a good head coach.

But he knows what Cheryl Reeve's practices looked like. He knows what Miguel Mendez's practices look like at UMMC. He knows what Dan Hughes practices looked like, having been an assistant to him in San Antonio.

It's strange to me to expect him to coach pros the same way Geno coaches college kids. And he has way more pro basketball experience than Geno.

As long as we're doing the football analogy, Belichick's assistants generally haven't been good head coaches. That's true. Nick Saban wasn't a very good head coach either, though.

I fully agree with you that he has seen what it takes, and I also never said that Geno's way would work in the pro (I don't think it would btw). The only thing I said was I cannot imagine Geno would do something like what coach Wade did and that it must feel different to Uconn player coming to the pros.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Geno were to coach in the WNBA, he would be a very successful coach in a short period of time (2-3 years). But he would not coach the same way he does in college, although he would be just as demanding. He would accept input from his more experienced players, as he did when he coached the Olympic team. And he would tailor his roster to get players who were receptive to his style, even if they were not quite as talented as others. In the pros as in college, some good players would sign with his team just because they wanted him as their coach.

One of his strengths is adapting his coaching style to the personalities and maturity level of his team. He doesn’t coach college players now in the same way as he did 15 or 20 years ago, and he can adapt further if it helps him to win.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Anyway. @Orangutan Is Cheyenne Parker in camp... And what do you expect out of her this season

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Anyway. @Orangutan Is Cheyenne Parker in camp... And what do you expect out of her this season

Yup, she's in camp.

Some of the analytics suggested she was Chicago's best player last year. She led the team in PER and Win Shares/40 min but she didn't get huge minutes. Some of that was her fitness, some of that was Stocks just choosing to start Gabby at PF instead.

They resigned her for $110k. Feels like they didn't give her near-max money to sit on the bench.

She and Imani McGee-Stafford have been working out with a trainer in LA. She looks to be in pretty good shape.

So I am expecting big things. Chicago was terrible with rebounding and defense last year and she was one of the best players in both of those areas. She really needs to be on the court more if she is up to it.

Reaction Score

Oh c'mon now, lets get serious here! You can't compare team achievements of an assistant coach to those of the man/woman in charge of a program. Wade has an impressive record, but it doesn't begin to measure up to the levels Geno has achieved.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Yaaaaaaa Lou!
Now if she leads Take Me Out to the Ball Game, during 7th inning stretch, I will be ultra impressed. Although I have always been impressed no matter what she does.

Reaction Score
If Geno were to coach in the WNBA, he would be a very successful coach in a short period of time (2-3 years). But he would not coach the same way he does in college, although he would be just as demanding. He would accept input from his more experienced players, as he did when he coached the Olympic team. And he would tailor his roster to get players who were receptive to his style, even if they were not quite as talented as others. In the pros as in college, some good players would sign with his team just because they wanted him as their coach.

One of his strengths is adapting his coaching style to the personalities and maturity level of his team. He doesn’t coach college players now in the same way as he did 15 or 20 years ago, and he can adapt further if it helps him to win.
He coached for the Olympic team with pros; he’s successful at all levels and knows how to get the best from his players. Maybe he could do something with my son’s modified team... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think Katie Lou is a Dodgers fan, so she's wearing the wrong kind of blue uniform!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom