2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 99 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Should be recruiting time after the AAC tourney ends.

Potential viewing options include:

Cameron Brink (if healthy) and Amari DeBerry Wednesday

Paige Bueckers Thursday

Aubrey Griffin, Haley Jones, and Christyn Williams on Friday.

Any concerns that UConn is recruiting a number of players with a history of serious knee injuries?

They'll have Coombs and ONO on the roster and are seriously recruiting Amihere and Griffin...............my understanding is the percentages of additional injuries are higher for these players so there is an inherent risk

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Any concerns that UConn is recruiting a number of players with a history of serious knee injuries?

They'll have Coombs and ONO on the roster and are seriously recruiting Amihere and Griffin.....my understanding is the percentages of additional injuries are higher for these players so there is an inherent risk
No.
Caroline Doty
Morgan Tuck
Gabby williams
Mikayla Coombs
ONO
Amihere (hopefully)

The beat goes on.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

They'll have Coombs and ONO on the roster and are seriously recruiting Amihere and Griffin.....my understanding is the percentages of additional injuries are higher for these players so there is an inherent risk

Interesting question. Gabby has done okay (knock on wood for 8 more games). Sue Bird did okay after freshman year acl tear. Ann Strother did okay. Tuck had knee issues but not to the one with the repaired ACL. Doty had additional injuries. Others?

Is UConn seriously recruiting Amihere?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Guess there's always risk and some worry. I assume when they recruit they get as much a feel as possible as to the player's health. They certainly didn't give up on Gabby Williams after two operations.

By numerous accounts, Griffin's athleticism has not been hindered---she appears to be 100%. We'll see with Amihere.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. Gabby has done okay (knock on wood for 8 more games). Sue Bird did okay after freshman year acl tear. Ann Strother did okay. Tuck had knee issues but not to the one with the repaired ACL. Doty had additional injuries. Others?

When the team was in Canada Geno mentioned that they were currently recruiting a Canadian player and I'm pretty sure she's the best one that they have...............I believe that was before her knee injury...........

Reaction Score

I've seen nothing specifically about UConn recruiting Amihere. GA has stated sometime within the last several months that he was recruiting one Canadian player.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When the team was in Canada Geno mentioned that they were currently recruiting a Canadian player and I'm pretty sure she's the best one that they have.....I believe that was before her knee injury......

Thanks. If he said that when the team played Duquesne in December that would be after her knee injury. Amihere tore her ACL in October (I think).

Reaction Score
Thanks. If he said that when the team played Duquesne in December that would be after her knee injury. Amihere tore her ACL in October (I think).

well I guess that means he really wants her then..............luckily or unluckily that surgery has become so common place that they have perfected it to a science

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mentioned in the recruit thread that Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa are on the 2018 Naismith 1st and 2nd team list, respectively.

Sam Brunelle placed on the 3rd team. Paige Bueckers, Cameron Brink, and Haley Jones are honorable mentions. No Azzi Fudd for some reason.

http://naismithtrophy.com/2018-naismith-high-school-all-american-teams/
There are no freshmen on the list. Azzi is excluded either because they decided to exclude frosh or because they didn’t see her. She belongs in the top half of that list.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/5

Kylee Watson scored 14 points but Mainland lost its first game of the year in the regional final.

Reaction Score
No.
Caroline Doty
Morgan Tuck
Gabby williams
Mikayla Coombs
ONO
Amihere (hopefully)

The beat goes on.....

You know Doty and Tuck were limited at Uconn due to those knees. Coombs has barely played and ONO has not played yet. It's a risk but not a certainty that it will have a negative outcome.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Cameron Brink's availability for the state tournament officially up in the air.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You know Doty and Tuck were limited at Uconn due to those knees. Coombs has barely played and ONO has not played yet. It's a risk but not a certainty that it will have a negative outcome.
It certainly is a risk but one that is well worth taking and the UCONN staff is the best in the business.
The knee that Morgan would eventually have mirco-fracture surgery on at UCONN was not the same knee she had an issue with in high school.
The knee that Caroline injured during Junior year of HS playing soccer was repaired by the UCONN doctors and her rehab was good enough for her to become a starter as a Freshmen at UCONN.
One of Caroline issues was related to the replacement tendon being of suspect quality which she explains in this video.

Reaction Score
Let's find a spot to squeeze in Amihere.

If I were sure of her knee I actually prefer Amihere to Brunelle. She is more athletic and at this time plays much better defense, which should mean that she earns more playing time as a frosh.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually it is, considering that 9th grader was going up against the #1 player in the 2019 class.
BTW she (Messiah Hunter) wasn't just talking smack! She dropped 20 points herself to Brunlle's 22.
Well no wonder, that explains it, she's the freaking messiah.

We had a kid around here a few years ago playing soccer, named Legend. I told him he better be good. (he was pretty good, playing college now) But he was no Messiah.

Reaction Score
3/5

Kylee Watson scored 14 points but Mainland lost its first game of the year in the regional final.

very disappointed for her and for me...................my daughter's team just won their state sectionals yesterday and with one more win would have faced Mainland................don't know much about the winner......Ocean City I think............BTW the team we beat had 3 signed DI players while we had none, just goes to show that ratings aren't everything..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/6

Leilani Correa tallied 27 points and 12 rebounds to lift Rutgers Prep to an overtime win Tuesday. She was 11-11 from the foul line.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Thanks for that note. Sounds like Griffin might be UConn's to lose if they want her. Also interesting that the interview was by the guy who ripped Geno on twitter after his comments about Espinoza-Hunter became public.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom