2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 101 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
The Maya comparison is a stretch but I get where you are coming from. But think of it this way this class is loaded with better prospects that can play 2/3 (Jones, Bell, Jackson, Beal, Puisis, Diamond Miller, & even Brunelle could fit that bill).

I know they've been discussed in the past but is UConn currently recruiting any of those players other then Jones and Brunelle? I really am in the dark on that..............we do know that Griffin has made her interest known with her visits

Reaction Score
The Maya comparison is a stretch but I get where you are coming from. But think of it this way this class is loaded with better prospects that can play 2/3 (Jones, Bell, Jackson, Beal, Puisis, Diamond Miller, & even Brunelle could fit that bill).

I think Jones is more of a 4/3 then a 2/3, could see her playing as a point forward role.

Reaction Score
This is just filthy. There would probably be an investigation if UConn got both Bueckers and Fudd.

It would be a sin for this prodigious talent to play for anyone other then Geno...............the fact that she has two more years of high school to get even better is astounding.............as I've said before, I believe she is talented enough to play UConn basketball right now

Reaction Score
I know they've been discussed in the past but is UConn currently recruiting any of those players other then Jones and Brunelle? I really am in the dark on that....we do know that Griffin has made her interest known with her visits
Was it Griffin’s coach at Ossining who called Geno an egomaniac, or was that someone else in her circle?

Reaction Score
OK, thanks. I was thinking probably not a good career move if it was a big time H.S. coach.

oh I don't know about that.................considering how few UConn quality players come along it's probably not that risky plus I'm sure plenty of Geno's competitors probably agree with those sentiments........

Reaction Score
oh I don't know about that.......considering how few UConn quality players come along it's probably not that risky plus I'm sure plenty of Geno's competitors probably agree with those sentiments...
Guess it’s a moot point if it wasn’t him. I was just thinking... “Play for him and you won’t get recruited by UCONN.”

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ossining plays a mixed schedule with some pushovers but also some really good teams...I would guess the quality of competition that Aubrey plays against is better then that of Sam Brunelle.......
Well my feeling in Sam’ s level of competition are well known and remains unchanged. My feeling in Ossining are devolving.

Reaction Score
Well my feeling in Sam’ s level of competition are well known and remains unchanged. My feeling in Ossining are devolving.

It's clear that their coach has traditionally given his stars the green light to shoot when ever they want to which may have contributed to some gaudy numbers.....................the quality of opposition is probably pretty average for a big high school program but I know Albertus Magnus is a beast to play every year and several of the other schools they play can be pretty good..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Gotta be careful how much emphasis we place on quality of competition. Christyn Williams is not exactly facing upper tier talent in Arkansas but all the evaluators love her.

Reaction Score
Gotta be careful how much emphasis we place on quality of competition. Christyn Williams is not exactly facing upper tier talent in Arkansas but all the evaluators love her.

talent is talent.....................when you got it you got it and no matter what kind of competition they are playing against they will stand out...................that said, the quality of competition does have an impact on statistics and that's why I never take those inflated numbers all that seriously..............I watched a highly ranked recruit score just eight points in a game the other day but her total performance was still very impressive to me...............

Reaction Score

The level of competition Sam plays against with her high school team is not exceptional (eg, in comparison to Fudd). Having said that, Sam has demonstrated with Team USA that she can compete against the very best, and command respect of peers at the highest level. Sam loves, and is (truly) beloved by, her teammates, coaches, school, and community. To have seen her tears when she couldn't carry her club deeper in the VA state tournament is to understand that this is a young person who "gets it" and will be a pillar of a top 10 college program from day one. In addition to elite athleticism, she possesses the heart, commitment, and unselfishness one looks for in a Husky WBB player. If she plays there, she will rapidly endear herself to the UCONN faithful with her leadership, coachability, and competitive drive.

PS: Recently removed Maryland from her list of schools of interest.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The level of competition Sam plays against with her high school team is not exceptional (eg, in comparison to Fudd). Having said that, Sam has demonstrated with Team USA that she can compete against the very best, and command respect of peers at the highest level. Sam loves, and is (truly) beloved by, her teammates, coaches, school, and community. To have seen her tears when she couldn't carry her club deeper in the VA state tournament is to understand that this is a young person who "gets it" and will be a pillar of a top 10 college program from day one. In addition to elite athleticism, she possesses the heart, commitment, and unselfishness one looks for in a Husky WBB player. If she plays there, she will rapidly endear herself to the UCONN faithful with her leadership, coachability, and competitive drive.
PS: Recently removed Maryland from her list of schools of interest.
Welcome to the BY. I've been a consistent critic of the level of HS competition that Samantha is facing I have also repeatedly stated that is not something that Sam has control over. Make no mistake I want her to go to UCONN for the very reason you state, most notably, "She command respect of peers". Samantha, perhaps due to being a natural leader, appears to hold a great deal of influence over some very talent BB players in her class and even two classes below her own. I'm talking about Aliyah Boston, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Van Lith plays at one of the lower divisions (1A) in Washington. There are very few D1 prospects that come from those schools, so her level of competition is not particularly high.

Reaction Score
Buecker's Hopkins team wins their section championship final 95-62. No details but posted comments indicate that Bueckers wasn't scoring a lot but spent the game feeding her team mates.

examples: "Hopkins up 46-26 with 3:58 left in 1H. Paige Bueckers hasn't had her typical scoring night, but she's run the show for the Royals." "Hopkins ball movement working wonders. Chakolis with 12 points in this half, mostly on backdoor cuts."

Reaction Score
Van Lith plays at one of the lower divisions (1A) in Washington. There are very few D1 prospects that come from those schools, so her level of competition is not particularly high.

I noticed that as well, I also noticed that her overall rankings of #1 and #5 are the highest for a player from the state of Washington since Angie Bjorklund back in 2007, who had a so so career.

Reaction Score
Buecker's Hopkins team wins their section championship final 95-62. No details but posted comments indicate that Bueckers wasn't scoring a lot but spent the game feeding her team mates.

examples: "Hopkins up 46-26 with 3:58 left in 1H. Paige Bueckers hasn't had her typical scoring night, but she's run the show for the Royals." "Hopkins ball movement working wonders. Chakolis with 12 points in this half, mostly on backdoor cuts."

Paige scored 20 in the win.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    730.4 KB · Views: 60
Reaction Score

Exactly. This is why the majority of evaluations are made during the AAU season and Team USA tryouts/games, when prospects are facing their toughest competition.

Reaction Score
Exactly. This is why the majority of evaluations are made during the AAU season and Team USA tryouts/games, when prospects are facing their toughest competition.

I think it it is safe to say the behind the back passes will disappear against elite competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom