2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 100 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A third county athlete, Middletown’s Saylor Poffenbarger, was already being recruited by some of the top women’s basketball programs in the country, including 11-time national champion UConn, prior to playing her first game for the Knights. She has yet to make her college choice, a decision that could still be a year or more away.

TJ's Orr, Catoctin's Eyler make verbal commitments to scholarship offers as freshmen

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Should be recruiting time after the AAC tourney ends.

Potential viewing options include:

Cameron Brink (if healthy) and Amari DeBerry Wednesday

Paige Bueckers Thursday

Aubrey Griffin, Haley Jones, and Christyn Williams on Friday.

Jordan Horston also plays Wednesday.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Wearing a "We Want You" t-shirt? Come on.

I recall reading that Stanford is recruiting Jones. I don't know if she's gone through and passed admissions yet (probably not) but she must be a pretty smart kid.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
In a month, UConn will lose two magnificent defenders, creating a need for both a perimeter and interior stopper. Nearly all of these recruiting targets boast glittering offensive stats but are there any players on the list who you believe have the talent and willingness to embrace Geno's demand for defensive intensity?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In a month, UConn will lose two magnificent defenders, creating a need for both a perimeter and interior stopper. Nearly all of these recruiting targets boast glittering offensive stats but are there any players on the list who you believe have the talent and willingness to embrace Geno's demand for defensive intensity?

Boston, Amihere, Van Lith, and Jones all have reputations as strong defenders. Brink has tremendous potential defensively. Magbegor would seem to have play-making skills on that end of the court. And Paige Bueckers is good as well.

Reaction Score

Based on how important he views it, I don't think Geno would recruit a player that he didn't think could play defense at a fairly high level...............you won't really know how good they can defend until they go up against really good offensive talent.........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
3/6

Leilani Correa tallied 27 points and 12 rebounds to lift Rutgers Prep to an overtime win Tuesday. She was 11-11 from the foul line.

Here's the write-up on that win over Trenton Catholic, a team that relies on a frenetic press and pace. Of course, Leilani and her teammates are not exactly running in second gear.

Girls Basketball: Leilani Correa wills No. 6 Rutgers Prep to 3rd straight sectional title

Rutgers Prep will take on old foe, Saddle River Day in the next round.
Michelle Sidor led the Saddle River Day team to a tight win over Lodi Immaculate.

Girls Basketball: Sidor leads the charge as Saddle River Day captures title (PHOTOS)

In the past, Rutgers Prep simply had too much talent for essentially Sidor to deal with.
For instance, Jahsyni Knight is coming off an ACL,but still headed to Pittsburgh next year.

But Saddle River Day, as Charlie can attest, has a number of transfers who have strengthened and deepened this squad, including Sydney Watkins, who played at Queen of Peace (with Raven Farley-Clark, now at LSU), and committed to play for Manhattan.

So, even though I think Rutgers Prep will eventually wear down Saddle River, I think this should be a better game. At least, they can just solely focus on Sidor, who -- as I've posted before -- reminds me of a more physical Katelynn Flaherty of Michigan. I love her ability to pull up for a jump off a fast, hard dribble. Plus, she runs off screens well to get her jumper off and has a super head fake for back-door cuts. Well-schooled.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wearing a "We Want You" t-shirt? Come on.

I recall reading that Stanford is recruiting Jones. I don't know if she's gone through and passed admissions yet (probably not) but she must be a pretty smart kid.

With so many colleges recruiting her, I decided to check out the website at Archbishop Mitty and besides their athletic teams (girls hoops, soccer), the institutions appears to be top notch in academics and other extra-curricular pursuits.

Reaction Score
Here's the write-up on that win over Trenton Catholic, a team that relies on a frenetic press and pace. Of course, Leilani and her teammates are not exactly running in second gear.

Girls Basketball: Leilani Correa wills No. 6 Rutgers Prep to 3rd straight sectional title

Rutgers Prep will take on old foe, Saddle River Day in the next round.
Michelle Sidor led the Saddle River Day team to a tight win over Lodi Immaculate.

Girls Basketball: Sidor leads the charge as Saddle River Day captures title (PHOTOS)

In the past, Rutgers Prep simply had too much talent for essentially Sidor to deal with.
For instance, Jahsyni Knight is coming off an ACL,but still headed to Pittsburgh next year.

But Saddle River Day, as Charlie can attest, has a number of transfers who have strengthened and deepened this squad, including Sydney Watkins, who played at Queen of Peace (with Raven Farley-Clark, now at LSU), and committed to play for Manhattan.

So, even though I think Rutgers Prep will eventually wear down Saddle River, I think this should be a better game. At least, they can just solely focus on Sidor, who -- as I've posted before -- reminds me of a more physical Katelynn Flaherty of Michigan. I love her ability to pull up for a jump off a fast, hard dribble. Plus, she runs off screens well to get her jumper off and has a super head fake for back-door cuts. Well-schooled.

My daughter's team recently lost an overtime game to Lodi in the County quarter finals..................should have beaten them easily but played poorly.................forget Watkins, she's a nice player, the real stud is Jaida Patrick who should be a top 100 talent in my eyes anyway..........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for that note. Sounds like Griffin might be UConn's to lose if they want her. Also interesting that the interview was by the guy who ripped Geno on twitter after his comments about Espinoza-Hunter became public.
I never did see how Aubrey would fit with UCONN in 2019 considering that UCONN seems to be in great shape with Samantha B and Haley Jones.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I never did see how Aubrey would fit with UCONN in 2019 considering that UCONN seems to be in great shape with Samantha B and Haley Jones.

Perhaps they're waiting for an indication from other players before offering Griffin. She appears to be an explosive small forward who could play some 2-guard, similar to one Maya Moore. UConn really hasn't had that type of player in a while.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With so many colleges recruiting her, I decided to check out the website at Archbishop Mitty and besides their athletic teams (girls hoops, soccer), the institutions appears to be top notch in academics and other extra-curricular pursuits.
As far as I can tell, Haley commutes 25 miles from Santa Cruz to attend Mitty in San Jose.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

@slug25 asked a very similar question a few pages back in this thread.

I enjoy reading all about these recruits’ offensive exploits and rebounding stats, but does anybody have any sense of who will become the lock-down defenders we need in the mold of Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, Kiah Stokes, Kelly Faris, et al?

Here was my answer:

Laeticia Amihere is hands down the best defender in the 2019 class and among the best perimeter defender for her size 6'3" that I have ever seen. In her last FIBA age group tournament Laeticia guarded the other teams PG many times the length off the floor and seamless switched as required to guarding post players.

Next best defender might be Haley Jones because of her versatility. At USA Basketball U16 trials many of the people that were in the tryout sessions reported that Jones was the best defender by far and most were shocked that she did not make the team. Haley is 6'1" and was defending in the post and on the perimeter with equal proficiency at the trials.

A defensive stalwart that is moving under the radar is Charisma Osborne, listed at 5'9" she has better guns that Crystal and very sturdy lower body and is a bull dog of an on ball defender.

Here was @Sluconn Husky answer.

Van Lith, Jones, and Boston have reputations as defensive stalwarts. Bueckers is really good too. And I think Brink has a chance to be a defensive game-changer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps they're waiting for an indication from other players before offering Griffin. She appears to be an explosive small forward who could play some 2-guard, similar to one Maya Moore. UConn really hasn't had that type of player in a while.
The Maya comparison is a stretch but I get where you are coming from. But think of it this way this class is loaded with better prospects that can play 2/3 (Jones, Bell, Jackson, Beal, Puisis, Diamond Miller, & even Brunelle could fit that bill).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Maya comparison is a stretch but I get where you are coming from. But think of it this way this class is loaded with better prospects that can play 2/3 (Jones, Bell, Jackson, Beal, Puisis, Diamond Miller, & even Brunelle could fit that bill).

My comparison to Maya was not in terms of caliber of player but type of player. An explosive athlete with quickness and a developing shot; a terror on the break who can get to the rim at will. Maya was not exactly a great shooter in high school but became one. Range is Griffin's next area of improvement.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My comparison to Maya was not in terms of caliber of player but type of player. An explosive athlete with quickness and a developing shot; a terror on the break who can get to the rim at will. Maya was not exactly a great shooter in high school but became one. Range is Griffin's next area of improvement.
I totally get that. Just not sold on Aubrey specifically and becoming more and more suspicious of those huge number being put up by Ossining players in general.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/7

Amari DeBerry put up 22 points, 9 rebounds, 8 blocks, and 5 steals Wednesday as Williamsville South won the Section A title.

They move on to regionals this weekend.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/7

Cameron Brink was healthy enough to play in Southridge's sectional quarterfinal win Wednesday.

Brink ended up with 9 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 blocks while reportedly altering many other shots.

Reaction Score
I totally get that. Just not sold on Aubrey specifically and becoming more and more suspicious of those huge number being put up by Ossining players in general.

Ossining plays a mixed schedule with some pushovers but also some really good teams.............I would guess the quality of competition that Aubrey plays against is better then that of Sam Brunelle.................

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/7

Jordan Horston hurt her ankle and briefly left her playoff game Wednesday. She returned though and scored 8 points while getting rave reviews. She plays again Saturday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom