2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 80 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nothing personal against you Sluconn..you continue to provide a valuable service for all of us...but yikes.....did you see that defense....or that lack of defense? That's a perfect example of why these bloated stats can sometimes be misleading...

I'm watching Poffenbarger's skills, her length, quickness, shot-blocking, finishing abilities. Pretty impressive for a freshmen regardless of competition.

Reaction Score
I'm watching Poffenbarger's skills, her length, quickness, shot-blocking, finishing abilities. Pretty impressive for a freshmen regardless of competition.

definitely looks like an exceptional player especially for a freshman.............my comment was more about the inflated stats which always have to be taken with a grain of salt with many of these players in parts of the country where we don't know the level of competition...........for example, there are teams in the Jersey Shore Conference that start 3-5 DI players each averaging 10-12 points a game but usually against exceptional competition...............Azzi Fudd is one exception in that her team travels and plays some of the top teams in the country...........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/2

Azzi Fudd scored 25 points Friday in another top-10 match-up with Paul VI.

St. John's College lost a close game and Fudd made a couple late shots and also took some questionable ones.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2/2

Azzi Fudd scored 25 points Friday in another top-10 match-up with Paul VI.

St. John's College lost a close game and Fudd made a couple late shots and also took some questionable ones.
Wow! Paul VI is very good, but SJC will drop from #2 nationally.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Paul VI was insanely loaded last year: Owusu (Maryland), Collins (Tennessee), Scott-Grayson (Baylor, now at Riverdale Baptist), and Vaughn (Notre Dame). That's 4 highly ranked kids heading to major programs playing on the same high school team.

I like Azzi shooting off the catch better than off the bounce.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I like Azzi shooting off the catch better than off the bounce.

She's pretty darn good off the bounce too, especially that pull-up jumper. She still forces a bad shot here or there, but she also kinda has to because there is little offensive help for her on that team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Owusu is listed at 5'9" on HoopGurls but 5'11" on MaxPreps. She looks slightly taller than Fudd, who looked about 5'11" when I saw her in person.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's pretty darn good off the bounce too, especially that pull-up jumper. She still forces a bad shot here or there, but she also kinda has to because there is little offensive help for her on that team.
Tshitenge-Mutombo is decent, but can't create her own shot. Fudd is the key offensive player. I thought she didn't take enough shots, especially in the first 3 quarters.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That was a bizarre ending. Owusu got fouled, but should have been called for her second technical for tossing the ball. Instead, the technical was called on the SJC player.

Mutombo missed 3 FTs and Azzi missed 1, all of which were critical in a close game. But Azzi nailed the 2 technical FTs to tie the game.

I love Azzi's jumper when she is squared up. She reminds me a lot of KML.

Collins has an odd free throw motion with a lot of hand spinning. Her regular FG shot motion is also funky and looks as if she had a shoulder injury or something. A perfect offensive player for Tennessee. ;)

Reaction Score
Owusu was also doing a lot of trash talking the whole game but doesn't talk to her own team. Collins really functions as the offensive organizer on Paul VI. St. Johns was down their second leading scorer so all defense was focused on Fudd. Fudd is amazingly gifted on the offensive end and is good on defense around the basket but needs to work on face guarding out on the perimeter. Fudd could have gotten 50 pts if her team could set an effective screen. Give this girl some space and it's all net. She does have a KML look to her game. If she can develop a take no prisoners mindset for the whole game, the sky is the limit. It's unbelievable that she is only a freshman in high school.

Reaction Score
Fun fact: I went to High School with Collins father and Uncle in sunny southern California. Both great athletes. If fact I'm supposed to start golfing with the uncle very soon.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger had 10 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, and 3 blocks Friday and was the recipient of a box-and-one defensive scheme. She sounds like a Husky trying to adapt.

“I’m not going to lie, they did a really good job with it,” Saylor Poffenbarger said. “But I think next time, I need to do a better job adapting to it. I need to figure out a way to beat it and not — I mean, I got flustered, and that’s the goal.

“So the next time, I really need to work and do what I know I can do best, and score and pass and rebound,” she said. “If I’m not getting points, I need to be rebounding.”

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Saylor Poffenbarger had 10 points, 7 rebounds, 4 steals, and 3 blocks Friday and was the recipient of a box-and-one defensive scheme. She sounds like a Husky trying to adapt.

“I’m not going to lie, they did a really good job with it,” Saylor Poffenbarger said. “But I think next time, I need to do a better job adapting to it. I need to figure out a way to beat it and not — I mean, I got flustered, and that’s the goal.

“So the next time, I really need to work and do what I know I can do best, and score and pass and rebound,” she said. “If I’m not getting points, I need to be rebounding.”
I'll never forget Jewell Loyd"s response to a question about playing against UConn when she said something to the effect, "UConn taught me a lot. How to play against a box and 1, match up zones, diamond and 2's". This is the real WCBB world where if you're the focus your game is put under a magnifying glass and you are forced to adapt, or die. We'll see if she has the chops.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/3

Aliyah Boston had 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 6 blocks but Worcester shockingly lost their first game of the season to Northfield Mt. Hermon.

Azzi Fudd scored 14 points.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2/3

Aliyah Boston had 16 points, 11 rebounds, and 6 blocks but Worcester shockingly lost their first game of the season to Northfield Mt. Hermon.

Azzi Fudd scored 14 points.
That’s a low output for Azzi, but her team led by 20 at the half and 38 after 3Q.

Reaction Score

forcing bad shots.................it's that freshman thing................

Reaction Score
2/3

Aubrey Griffin: 35 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals

might as well stop following her.............there's no way she's going to choose UConn..................:rolleyes:
In all seriousness if you can check how she's done against Albertus Magnus that will give us a better idea about how she is doing...............they always play great team defense..............

Reaction Score
Paige, Brunelle and Fudd together with a world class trainer on someones social media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom