2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 150 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Fudd (Mays).
Agree wholeheartedly!
While I was too young to see DiMaggio, Mays was the best baseball player, I have ever seen. Fudd has a long way and man years ahead of her to reach that lofty place, but sure shows that type of potential and focus.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts. A Destiny Slocum & Hailey Van Lith backcourt even for two years would not be beneficial to either player because both need the ball to be effective. Regarding OSU winning the College world series I am struggling to think of a case where a NCAA championship in one sport directly helped another sport in recruiting. Struggling even harder to find where a women's program benefited from a men's NCAA championship at the same school.

Destiny and Hailey would only overlap for 1 season not 2 at OSU, so Hailey Van Lith could be DS's apprentice as a freshman before she graduates. Hailey Van Lith benefiting from DS's wisdom and experience for 1 year would be a very positive thing IMO. Then, as a sophomore, junior, and senior she could apply what she learned and further hone her PG skills while almost exclusively running the show for 3 straight years.

As for the OSU men's baseball national championship benefiting a women's program, of course the potential effect on recruiting, especially when it comes to a different sport, cannot be as easily or as directly correlated or quantified. However, I believe it is certainly inspirational, as a number of past, current, and future OSU WBB players have tweeted and commented on it. That is my point. I don't think folks have be the same gender or in the exact same sport to be inspired by others. The strong positive vibes and celebratory mood about OSU at the same time Hailey Van Lith was on campus certainly could not have hurt!!

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Destiny and Hailey would only overlap for 1 season not 2 at OSU, so Hailey Van Lith could be DS's apprentice as a freshman before she graduates. Hailey Van Lith benefiting from DS's wisdom and experience for 1 year would be a very positive thing IMO. Then, as a sophomore, junior, and senior she could apply what she learned and further hone her PG skills while almost exclusively running the show for 3 straight years.

As for the OSU men's baseball national championship benefiting a women's program, of course the potential effect on recruiting, especially when it comes to a different sport, cannot be as easily or as directly correlated or quantified. However, I believe it is certainly inspirational, as a number of past, current, and future OSU WBB players have tweeted and commented on it. That is my point. I don't think folks have be the same gender or in the exact same sport to be inspired by others. The strong positive vibes and celebratory mood about OSU at the same time Hailey Van Lith was on campus certainly could not have hurt!!
I think that any positive news helps in recruiting and also boosts the number of overall applicants. The news could be championships, academic ranking, new building on campus, etc. Its hard to quantify and may not draw any single elite recruit, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So Griffin was in Louisville for the Run 4 the Roses tournament and swung by the campus for a visit. Makes sense.

Hopefully Geno will have a chance to watch her play some games over the next couple of weekends and then we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
I admittedly know very little about the likelihood of any specific playerbeing offered let alone landing at U Conn or elsewhere.
Maybe one of the gurus here on the subject could enlighten me as to why possibly would U Conn consider offering Griffin now, or maybe ever, when there appear to be quite a few more highly ranked guards ahead of her, that there appears to be stronger interest in.
Based upon my reading tea leaves or between the lines, it would appear likely Griffin is headed to Louisville.
Help please with this and other similar choices arising effecting 19, 20 & 21.
Thanks!
Bronx23

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Yes! Exactly! Need either or both KLS or Pheesa to get a bit selfish when need be! Not sure personality wise either of them have that. Off the court or in life itself, that unselfishness is a wonderful, special quality. On the court in huge moments, one needs an assassin whether it be DT, MM, Michael Jordan or LeBron!
Just struck me that KLS and Pheesa might be Scottie Pippens! Nothing to sneeze at! Seems Bueckers and Fudd might be what's needed down the road a little bit!
Bronx23

Keep in mind Lou's physical limitations last year. I never saw her play more aggressively on both ends than in the Cal game last year, before she was injured.

I am expecting to see that player, and more, next year.

Napheesa's game was not helped by Z's presence. As a sophomore, she was controlling the inside more. She has added three point capability.

I am looking for both of them to be aggressively hunting out shots and each taking 20+ per game. Crystal will be looking for them, as will Walker. If you are looking for pro comparisons, how about Bird/McHale?

Reaction Score
Keep in mind Lou's physical limitations last year. I never saw her play more aggressively on both ends than in the Cal game last year, before she was injured.

I am expecting to see that player, and more, next year.

Napheesa's game was not helped by Z's presence. As a sophomore, she was controlling the inside more. She has added three point capability.

I am looking for both of them to be aggressively hunting out shots and each taking 20+ per game. Crystal will be looking for them, as will Walker. If you are looking for pro comparisons, how about Bird/McHale?
I like that comparison. Certainly KLS 33 would approve (as would her dad). Phee has a lot of McHale in her. He, too, was always in the right place on offense, had a nose for the ball, knew where to find the basket, and went about his business without a lot of fuss.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I like that comparison. Certainly KLS 33 would approve (as would her dad). Phee has a lot of McHale in her. He, too, was always in the right place on offense, had a nose for the ball, knew where to find the basket, and went about his business without a lot of fuss.

As long as Phee doesn't also become known as The Black Hole, as McHale was!

Reaction Score
I admittedly know very little about the likelihood of any specific playerbeing offered let alone landing at U Conn or elsewhere.
Maybe one of the gurus here on the subject could enlighten me as to why possibly would U Conn consider offering Griffin now, or maybe ever, when there appear to be quite a few more highly ranked guards ahead of her, that there appears to be stronger interest in.
Based upon my reading tea leaves or between the lines, it would appear likely Griffin is headed to Louisville.
Help please with this and other similar choices arising effecting 19, 20 & 21.
Thanks!
Bronx23

Griffin and Horston are really UConn's only choices in 2019 guards...........both are long and athletic enough to also play the wing if Jones chooses to go elsewhere..........2020 is the year of the point guard and clearly UConn needs one of those top three players........having Griffin, Horston or both at UConn would not negatively impact the decisions of any of the point guards in question.........if anything they would be pleased to run the floor with such athletic teammates.......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Griffin and Horston are really UConn's only choices in 2019 guards......both are long and athletic enough to also play the wing if Jones chooses to go elsewhere.....

Personally, I believe Griffin is a slashing wing/small-forward more than a guard anyway. Think Megan Walker more than Christyn Williams.

Reaction Score
Personally, I believe Griffin is a slashing wing/small-forward more than a guard anyway. Think Megan Walker more than Christyn Williams.

agreed............if anything the most likely player to be effected and I kind of doubt it would make a difference is Haley Jones..........in UConn's system specific positions are less important and a player with HJ's formidable skill set is most likely getting big minutes from day one

Reaction Score
Griffin and Horston are really UConn's only choices in 2019 guards......both are long and athletic enough to also play the wing if Jones chooses to go elsewhere.....2020 is the year of the point guard and clearly UConn needs one of those top three players...having Griffin, Horston or both at UConn would not negatively impact the decisions of any of the point guards in question....if anything they would be pleased to run the floor with such athletic teammates..
I guess I don't see taking Griffin until Jones and Horston decide their choice. Already have two more years of MW and three of CW. She seems like a very good player and great sporting pedigree but doubt she's a star in the making.
I can't see her not choosing U Conn if Geno wants her over Louisville, though she likely might play a lot there.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I guess I don't see taking Griffin until Jones and Horston decide their choice. Already have two more years of MW and three of CW. She seems like a very good player and great sporting pedigree but doubt she's a star in the making.
I can't see her not choosing U Conn if Geno wants her over Louisville, though she likely might play a lot there.
Bronx23

if UConn doesn't offer and Louisville does she might be unwise to wait too long.........I assume that Louisville has other offers out there...........so it's first come first play serve........

Reaction Score
if UConn doesn't offer and Louisville does she might be unwise to wait too long....I assume that Louisville has other offers out there......so it's first come first play serve...

I agree. Unfortunately, it seems like she could verbal and then always change her mind later if a better offer comes around.... as verbals don't seem to hold a lot these days? I feel like such a cynic saying this....

Reaction Score
I agree. Unfortunately, it seems like she could verbal and then always change her mind later if a better offer comes around.... as verbals don't seem to hold a lot these days? I feel like such a cynic saying this....

I believe the vast majority of verbal commitments end up sticking............maybe too many.........that might accountant for some of the transfer numbers we are witnessing these days.......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As long as Phee doesn't also become known as The Black Hole, as McHale was!

If she shoots almost 70% like 2 years ago, I don’t care if Pheesa ever kicks the ball back out of the post.

Agree, if Collier can be compared to McHale, (with KLS compared to Bird), sounds like a winning duo to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom