2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 149 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Re Aliyah Boston, it is ENTIRELY possible that she has already made a confidential commitment to Geno to come to UConn, but has chosen for whatever reason not to make it publicly known. I certainly have no inside information, but I know that other players have done similar things. I recall, for instance, that Napheesa committed privately a few months before she made it known. I have a hunch that both of this year's freshmen committed privately long before their public announcements.

The bottom line is that there is no need to get worked up about Boston's "delay" in committing, in part because there may not even be a delay.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Didn't Van Lith talk about her height in that interview that was posted earlier in this thread? Thought she said she was 5-9 ish on a good day. Also that she grew a little bit taller already this summer.

There was a coy giggle to go with that "on a good day" comment. You may have noticed her standing on her toes in the photo taken with her 3x3 team last week. Seeing her next to Bueckers---listed at 5-11---I think Van Lith is every bit 5-7, or at least 4 good inches shorter than Paige.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If someone says they are "5-9 ish" on a good day, odds are they are not 5-9.

Reaction Score
I think ND would have a similar problem except it might be more acute.
ND brings in 3 quality guards in 2018 ( Gilbert, Nixon, Prohaska)
ND brings in 1 quality guard in 2019 (Peoples) might be more.
If ND were to bring in 2 more quality guards in 2020 that would be 6 quality guards. Who among those 6 would be willing to play a backup role? Would Azzi be happy being #7 guard?

I have expressed a similar thought to our friend Dillon...........I'll let him explain how it would work.........I'm sure he'll come up with something that makes sense from the ND perspective

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have expressed a similar thought to our friend Dillon......I'll let him explain how it would work....I'm sure he'll come up with something that makes sense from the ND perspective
If I remember correctly @Dillon77 said something along the lines that Peoples, Gilbert & Prohaska would play SG and Nixon, Paige and Clark would play PG. That a good division by class and position but not a optimal mixture to pursue Azzi.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think ND will already be loaded with PGs, including Nixon and Peoples. I think that hurts them in recruiting Bueckers and Van Lith.

Can Paige and Hailey Van Lith play together? They are doing very well together on the 3 x 3 team. Paige can clearly be a combo guard, and Hailey Van Lith can shoot. Could Bird and Taurasi co-exist in the same backcourt? They win championships when they are together.

I’m not sure PB and Hailey Van Lith want to play on the same college team, but I bet Geno would be thrilled to get both and would make it work. Geno really wants PB, but I think he also really likes Hailey Van Lith. I’m not sold on Bueckers and Fudd going to ND to play with Brunelle. Sure, it could happen, but I’m skeptical. If PB goes to ND, Geno needs to get Hailey Van Lith (or equivalent) to offset that.

I’m not concerned at all about Hailey Van Lith’s height. On a good day, Moriah was about 5’7”. She won 2 Lieberman Awards, 1 National Defensive Player of the Year Award, and 4 National Championships. Mo and Hailey Van Lith have different skill sets, but neither lets their height limit them.

I really think that Jasmine will be a phenomenal recruiter. She has youth and street cred. I think she can get Hailey Van Lith.

Reaction Score
I see Hailey Van Lith taking over at Oregon when Ionescu graduates. No knowledge, just a hunch.

Well, in the interview of June 22, Hailey Van Lith says she wants to study engineering, and of the 7 universities she mentioned, the University of Oregon HAS NO ENGINEERING PROGRAMS. If she is serious about majoring in engineering or related field (specific major yet to be determined by her), UO cannot be a choice.

Of the six remaining schools on her early "list", Oregon State offers the most choices in engineering and related majors (15), followed by Notre Dame, UCLA, and UCONN (10-12 each), Louisville (8), and Baylor (4).

Hailey Van Lith could easily take over for Destiny Slocum at Oregon State, after serving one year as her understudy or "apprentice" in 2020.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly @Dillon77 said something along the lines that Peoples, Gilbert & Prohaska would play SG and Nixon, Paige and Clark would play PG. That a good division by class and position but not a optimal mixture to pursue Azzi.

Hey Charlie and Coco:

Yes, that's the basic thinking I've read/heard regarding ND's approach to all these quality guards.

A lot of this depends, at least in my NJ-based, Irish-fan mind is what happens at the wing position. Right now, the Irish have Jackie Young (who is really a guard with hops) playing that position. But I think they want to get bigger there, which is why they're after Haley Jones in a major way.

If Ms. Jones does come to ND (no sure thing, as we all know), that means all these guards are really competing for just two positions, as opposed to possibly playing the wing in a smaller-guard approach.

If Nixon, Gilbert, Peoples and Prohaska are performing well and they're set at the wing, I could see the Irish being very happy (as anyone would be) with "just" Bueckers or Clark. Can't see both of them wanting to dribble into a potential logjam...anywhere.

But if Jones (or someone else in that position) does not come to ND -- I could see the Irish going after a Mady Westbeld, Sydney Parrish or Alli Campbell (now a legit 6' tall) or going after two premier guards and having a three-guard approach as often as possible.

Of course, they could be then hold off for a huge push at Azzi Fudd. Fudd, after all, is one of those once-every-decade or so talents that you just pursue and pursue, as I'm sure MM, Geno and Tara (never forget where Azzi's first name came from) will be.

Should be interesting on the guard/wing front, for sure. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith is more of a "floor general", has a better handle, is a better on ball defender, and is better at reading defenses and getting the ball to the open player.
Of course it would be phenomenal to get Bueckers, but I would be very satisfied with Hailey Van Lith.
I almost always favor point guards.
Seems from what I've read, heard and seen small clips of that Hailey Van Lith is maybe more similar to a Sue Bird. Bueckers might be close to or the next DT. Can't go wrong with either but I've never seen anyone yet better than DT, speaking only of guards.
If somehow both came, a few championships would likely follow. It might though then preclude Azzi Fudd, who might just become or is, the best of the three. Like choosing between Mays, Mantle & Snider. WOW! WOW! WOW!
Bronx23

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, in the interview of June 22, Hailey Van Lith says she wants to study engineering, and of the 7 universities she mentioned, the University of Oregon HAS NO ENGINEERING PROGRAMS. If she is serious about majoring in engineering or related field (specific major yet to be determined by her), UO cannot be a choice.

Of the six remaining schools on her early "list", Oregon State offers the most choices in engineering and related majors (15), followed by Notre Dame, UCLA, and UCONN (10-12 each), Louisville (8), and Baylor (4).

Hailey Van Lith could easily take over for Destiny Slocum at Oregon State, after serving one year as her understudy or "apprentice" in 2020.

ND has a good engineering school and -- having just attended my daughter's graduation in May -- a number of her fellow grads who went the engineering route were quite happy with what they learned and where they were going with said degree.

That said, picking up on the "where will all these guards play at ND?" posts, I can't see Hailey Van Lith fitting in with the Irish unless Bueckers or Clark go elsewhere. As for her height, she plays tough and is strong in the lower body. I could see her alternating with a Jordan Nixon for two years, offering some bi-coastal takes on "shake and bake." :D

But I think MM has really got her sights on Paige B. and Caitlin C. first.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Van Lith is a pitbull that will stick her nose anywhere. She's strong, physical, and relentless. She's going to score and get people out of the seats with her skills. She's also likely going to be a good rebounder for her size due to the attributes mentioned above.

Bueckers is smooth as silk with an amazing feel for the game and basketball IQ. She too will get people out of the seats with her no-look passes and incredible finishing ability.

I think Van Lith's lower center of gravity and strength (5-7 vs 5-11) will likely make her a better defender in tight, but Bueckers' IQ, quickness, and length will make her a better one in space.
Love your analysis of these two young seemingly to be great players.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I agree with your description of UConn guard play but I wonder whether always playing with that kind of unselfishness is partly to blame for the end of the game issues in the past two years.....having a player that can get her own shot regardless of the defense could be the difference between winning and losing as we witnessed in the ND game.....having a great ball handler/shooter is a nice insurance policy to have even if it's rarely used....
Yes! Exactly! Need either or both KLS or Pheesa to get a bit selfish when need be! Not sure personality wise either of them have that. Off the court or in life itself, that unselfishness is a wonderful, special quality. On the court in huge moments, one needs an assassin whether it be DT, MM, Michael Jordan or LeBron!
Just struck me that KLS and Pheesa might be Scottie Pippens! Nothing to sneeze at! Seems Bueckers and Fudd might be what's needed down the road a little bit!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
ND has a good engineering school and -- having just attended my daughter's graduation in May -- a number of her fellow grads who went the engineering route, were quite happy with what they learned and where they were going with said degree.

That said, picking up on the "where will all these guards play at ND?" posts, I can't see Hailey Van Lith fitting in with the Irish unless Bueckers or Clark go elsewhere. As for her height, she plays tough and is strong in the lower body. I could see her alternating with a Jordan Nixon for two years, offering some bi-coastal takes on "shake and bake." :D
But I think MM is really got her sights on Paige and Caitlin first.

Hailey Van Lith has interest in Oregon State, of that I am certain. She and her team from Cashmere, WA, just attended the annual OSU girls high school basketball team camp held in Corvallis the week of June 25. She had to leave a bit early to attend either 3 on 3 or USA team practice. Obviously she has lots of excellent choices. I think her decision may be a year away yet, as she will only be a junior in high school this fall.

It's interesting and fortuitous that she was in Corvallis the same week as all the local and national whoopla, celebration, and media spotlights that surrounded Oregon State playing for and winning the National Championship in baseball...proving that a student athlete can win a National Championship in a very significant sport at ORST. Oregon State had to get through Big 10 champ Minnesota, Pac 12 Washington, and 3 SEC schools (LSU, Mississippi State, and Arkansas) to win it. :):D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey Charlie and Coco:Kudos to the ND posters. Great at this stage in the off season to have some new, interesting, fact based input to consider.

Yes, that's the basic thinking I've read/heard regarding ND's approach to all these quality guards.

A lot of this, at least in my NJ-based, Irish-fan mind is what happens at the wing position. Right now, the Irish have Jackie Young (who is really a guard with hops) playing that position. But I think they want to get bigger there, which is why they're after Haley Jones in a major way.

If Ms. Jones does come to ND (no sure thing, as we all know), that means all these guards are really competing for just two positions, as opposed to possibly playing the wing in a smaller-guard approach.

If Nixon, Gilbert, Peoples and Prohaska are performing well and they're set at the wing, I could see the Irish being very happy (as anyone would be) with just Bueckers or Clark. Can't see both of them wanting to dribble in a potential logjam...anywhere.

But if Jones (or someone else in that position) does not come -- I could see the Irish going after a Mady Westbeld, Sydney Parrish or Alli Campbell (now a legit 6' tall) or holding off for an Azzi Fudd. Fudd, after all, is one of those once-every-decade or so talents that you just pursue and pursue, as I'm sure MM, Geno and Tara (never forget where Azzi's first name came from) will be.

Should be interesting on the guard/wing front, for sure. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Of course it would be phenomenal to get Bueckers, but I would be very satisfied with Hailey Van Lith.
Seems from what I've read, heard and seen small clips of that Hailey Van Lith is maybe more similar to a Sue Bird. Bueckers might be close to or the next DT. Can't go wrong with either but I've never seen anyone yet better than DT, speaking only of guards.
If somehow both came, a few championships would likely follow. It might though then preclude Azzi Fudd, who might just become or is, the best of the three. Like choosing between Mays, Mantle & Snider. WOW! WOW! WOW!
Bronx23
Just an OT for you. Ritchie Ashburn was better than all three of them. (smile)

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Oregon State had to get through Big 10 champ Minnesota, Pac 12 Champ Washington, and 3 SEC schools (LSU, Mississippi State, and Arkansas) to win it. :):D
Technically, Stanford was the Pac-12 champions this year... though of course flamed out in the first round of the play-offs. I'm sure they would trade a Pac-12 crown for a spot in the College World Series...

Reaction Score
Technically, Stanford was the Pac-12 champions this year... though of course flamed out in the first round of the play-offs. I'm sure they would trade a Pac-12 crown for a spot in the College World Series...
sorry...my bad..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith has interest in Oregon State, of that I am certain. She and her team from Cashmere, WA, just attended the annual OSU girls high school basketball team camp held in Corvallis the week of June 25. She had to leave a bit early to attend either 3 on 3 or USA team practice. Obviously she has lots of excellent choices. I think her decision may be a year away yet, as she will only be a junior in high school this fall.
It's interesting and fortuitous that she was in Corvallis the same week as all the local and national whoopla, celebration, and media spotlights that surrounded Oregon State playing for and winning the National Championship in baseball...proving that a student athlete can win a National Championship in a very significant sport at ORST. Oregon State had to get through Big 10 champ Minnesota, Pac 12 Washington, and 3 SEC schools (LSU, Mississippi State, and Arkansas) to win it. :):D
Interesting thoughts. A Destiny Slocum & Hailey Van Lith backcourt even for two years would not be beneficial to either player because both need the ball to be effective. Regarding OSU winning the College world series I am struggling to think of a case where a NCAA championship in one sport directly helped another sport in recruiting. Struggling even harder to find where a women's program benefited from a men's NCAA championship at the same school.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Bronx23
Fudd (Mays).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom