2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 147 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Charli has stated that it was the death of her father had the greatest impact on her decision to stay closer to home.
"My mom, she's a single mother, and I felt like being with her, being with my family, that's what I need. That's my support group," Collier said. "I want my family to be able to watch me play, and I want to watch my brother grow and play high school football."
No. 2 prospect Collier wants to stay close to home and play for Texas Longhorns
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Collier commit to UConn after her father passed away?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Collier commit to UConn after her father passed away?
Charli’s father passed away on April 4, 2016, about two months before Charli made the USA U17 team. Charli Collier verbally committed to UCONN November 26th, 2016
Hurricane Harvey was August of 2017 and less than a month later 22 Sept, 2017 Charli would de-commit from UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Charli’s father passed away on April 4, 2016, about two months before Charli made the USA U17 team. Charli Collier verbally committed to UCONN November 26th, 2016
Hurricane Harvey was August of 2017 and less than a month later 22 Sept, 2017 Charli would de-commit from UCONN.
Thanks for the timeline. Lots going on in the young lady's life. Hard to pin down her decision to one specific event.

My concern now is Aliya Boston's decision, which I firmly believe will be to attend UConn. It's quite possible that Geno already knows this. Of course he cannot comment, and Ms. Boston may want to wait for her 15 minutes of fame like MW, CW, ONO and others. That seems to be the SOP for most of the top recruits these days, unlike SB who's announcement, I believe, came via her mother's facebook page.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith is interested in engineering. Oregon St. has a good engineering department, how is UConn's? Never noticed before, her high school's colors are orange and black.....hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not only did a group of high school girls cruise through the women’s elite division at Hoopfest, it dispatched teams loaded with ex-Division I standouts and pros, including defending champion YYC Canada in Sunday’s title round.

Stars and Stripes, a USA Basketball-sponsored team comprised of high-major college recruits from around the country, wasn’t rattled by the sizable Nike Center Court audience or the brawny opposition nearly twice its age.

Three months after winning a U18 3-on-3 national championship, the 16- and 17-year-olds welcomed the challenge.

When Stars and Stripes established a late lead against YYC Canada, a team led by former Gonzaga standout Janelle Bekkering, they were comforted by the crowd’s chant of “USA, USA!” before dispatching the all-Calgary team 20-16.

Kim Lee’s 2-pointer gave YYC Canada its last lead before crafty guard Hailey Van Lith of Cashmere, Washington, switched gears for Stars and Stripes.

Dribbling between her legs and behind her back as she drove to the hoop, Van Lith cashed in on a short floater that gave her team a 17-14 lead, and, a couple of possessions later, scored on a put-back.

A strong block inside by 6-foot-4 Aliyah Boston of Stars and Stripes helped her team regain possession, setting up Paige Bueckers’ game-winning layup.

Bueckers, the MVP of the title game, is the seventh-ranked recruit in the 2020 class. Van Lith, the fifth-ranked recruit in the 2020 class, is being recruited by such heralded programs as UConn.

Team USA teens cruise through Hoopfest elite women’s division

Reaction Score
Very impressive interview and young developing star.
She already speaks so well, which becomes a valued part of the U Conn women's bb program.
Would love to see her come play at U Conn and run the offense.
Bronx23

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
In my experience, female BB recruits just seem to value their developed relationships with coaches and friends/competitors more so than the males. For this reason I kind of sense that Boston might be one of those kids that is maybe dreading having to say no to all but one school. Maybe not but I've known several of those type of kids. They like most everything about several of the schools recruiting them and have a hard time pulling the trigger. A lot of times, besides the academics it boils down to where they feel the most confident about getting some PT.
Having raised four girls I can attest that it's difficult to always know what they're thinking and feeling, especially during those mercurial teenage years. Could it be that Boston simply is enjoying the courtship?

Reaction Score
Having raised four girls I can attest that it's difficult to always know what they're thinking and feeling, especially during those mercurial teenage years. Could it be that Boston simply is enjoying the courtship?
From what I have seen from a little distance of the Fudd recruiting, UConn doesn't do a lot of the early hard sell like other coaches. They form relationships and then the business end comes late in the process when they are confident everyone is on the same page and ready to make decisions.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith is interested in engineering. Oregon St. has a good engineering department, how is UConn's? Never noticed before, her high school's colors are orange and black.....hmmmm. :rolleyes:

The University of Connecticut just opened a brand-new state-of-the-art building for engineering and science research. The school of engineering has also expanded its undergraduate enrollment by 70%, part of a long-range plan to substantially improve Connecticut's science and engineering, and attract more research dollars to the university. As we all also know, the University of Connecticut is ranked among the top 20 public universities in the nation.

So a definite excellent possibility for anyone interested in becoming an engineer!!!

Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut just opened a brand-new state-of-the-art building for engineering and science research. The school of engineering has also expanded its undergraduate enrollment by 70%, part of a long-range plan to substantially improve Connecticut's science and engineering, and attract more research dollars to the university. As we all also know, the University of Connecticut is ranked among the top 20 public universities in the nation.

So a definite excellent possibility for anyone interested in becoming an engineer!!!

I can't begin to imagine how difficult it would be to get an engineering degree in four years while playing basketball..........kids have a tough enough time with no extracurricular activities never mind the endless practices and travel............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can't begin to imagine how difficult it would be to get an engineering degree in four years while playing basketball.....kids have a tough enough time with no extracurricular activities never mind the endless practices and travel..
Big time college sports and certain academic programs such as engineering, premed, physics and others, are very difficult to combine.

I am trying to think of UConn WBB players who have pulled it off and the only player I come up with is Polly, and she was not a key rotation player. I seem to recall that Polly missed at least one road trip with the team when she had multiple labs due.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Polly is doing these days? Didn't Elizabeth Williams take premed at Duke?

Reaction Score

I think most of those were known but UNC is interesting................if her decision is based on the quality of coaching and improving as a player there's really not much of a contest...........

Reaction Score
Horston's mother is cousin to one of North Carolina's assistant coaches, Sylvia Crawley.

oh right.............I think I remember reading that a while back...........she certainly would be the focus of their team if she were to choose UNC

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What is it about Hailey Van Lith that has different organizations rating her higher than Bueckers when so many on the BY talk so highly of Bueckers? What does she do better?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
What is it about Hailey Van Lith that has different organizations rating her higher than Bueckers when so many on the BY talk so highly of Bueckers? What does she do better?

I don't think much separates them though they are different types of players.

ESPN has Hailey Van Lith #3 and Bueckers #5.

Prospects Nation has Hailey Van Lith #1 but a recent tweet by Keil Moore suggests Bueckers may ascend to that spot in their next re-ranking.

Blue Star has Bueckers 5th and Hailey Van Lith 13th though they were slow to come around on the latter.

One of Premiere Basketball's evaluators, Jason Key, has Bueckers as his #1 overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom