2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 122 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
At this point I would not be surprised if we end up with Van Lith, and Boston. I really like Van Lith and I’m ok with Boston.

If we get Boston then we may cool on Watson which I really don’t want to happen. I really like Watson. I believe Watson is more mobile and can play the 4. Not sure if they can play together but I would think so.

I haven’t heard a lot of maddie Burke mentioned. She’s solid too.

Listen if we lose SB it really hurts cause there’s not many out there that has her skill set. I will continue to cross my fingers.
Are you going to be able to survive if Brunelle goes to ND or some other school?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My understanding was a little different. I though that Aubrey suffered a "new" injury as a result of non contact in state playoffs.
Ossining girls advance, but Griffin injured

Turned out it was a knee sprain. She then played in the next game -- state semis -- and scored 34 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Ossining lost badly in that game but there was no evidence of ongoing knee problems for Griffin. Just thought I'd add some facts to the discussion.

Reaction Score
Are you going to be able to survive if Brunelle goes to ND or some other school?

That is a good question! I know I've been hoping shed commit to us since I started posting here over a year ago. Listen, I don't think she's a generational player and if we miss out on her were dead, as you know I just really appreciate her skill set, combined with her size and off the court values she would be a wonder addition to Storrs campus. Of course I would wish her the best and root for who we do sign. I think these next 2 classes are so crucial to continuing our legacy. Most of our premium proven talent has graduated or will graduate after this coming season. Im not confident in last years freshman class, in fact the best player might have transferred. We will see, if SB goes to ND, lets hope we can hit on Bueckers, Van Lith, Watson, etc...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Haley Jones named All North Cal player of the year:

There’s not much Haley Jones can’t do on a basketball court.

At 6-1, she’s tall enough to post up. So when Archbishop Mitty’s starting center, Nicole Blakes, tore her ACL just before the start of the 2018 postseason, Jones became the first inside option for the team that wound up No. 3 in the nation.

As a 64-percent shooter from the field, Jones can operate from the wings, getting to the rim, dropping in runners and hitting mid-range jump shots.

As a 45-percent shooter from 3-point distance, Jones can switch to shooting guard, extending defenses and opening up the court for herself and her teammates.

And speaking of teammates, they need to be ready when Jones has the ball. When the situation demands it, she’s going to get the ball to the player with the best available shot. Thus, the 4.1 assists per game.

There aren’t numbers like the 21.8 points and 10.0 rebounds per game on the other end of the floor. However, Jones, a coach’s daughter, is a superb defender who uses her length and athleticism to guard whoever she’s assigned. It could be a post or it could be a point guard, as one word that cannot be left out of any description of Haley Jones’s game is “versatile.”

All-NorCal Girls Basketball '17-'18 » SportStars Magazine

Reaction Score
Boston is a player but IMHO Griffin is not in that Top tier of players. The fact that her surgically repaired ACL is still giving her trouble is also a Red Flag to me.

are you basing your opinion of Griffin on her lack of being rated? Not sure how much you've seen her play but from what I've seen she has the chance to be a very special player...........she's in the first year back from ACL surgery and she is already dominating again.......Gabby, Coombs, Amihere, ONO have all had knee issues.................you just never know if there will be a recurrence or if it will hit the previously healthy like what happened with ND

Reaction Score
I’d like to know who (if any) are or could be the Moore/Taurasi recruit(s). Not just great players e.g. Williams, Samuelson but “take you to the promised land”. Is C. Williams that player? Doesn’t look like Megan W. Doesn’t look like Brunelle.
Azzi Fudd?

Reaction Score
I’d like to know who (if any) are or could be the Moore/Taurasi recruit(s). Not just great players e.g. Williams, Samuelson but “take you to the promised land”. Is C. Williams that player? Doesn’t look like Megan W. Doesn’t look like Brunelle.
Azzi Fudd?

player's like that are few and far between..............hopefully CW will end her UConn career with her name in the rafters..............I think Beuckers also has the talent to be one of the top UConn guards ever............I haven't seen enough of Azzi Fudd but just about everyone who has seen her close up says she is a true basketball prodigy...........as always, time will tell...........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd?
Of the kids on the horizon, Williams, Bueckers, and Fudd may be the closest to that level.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Haley Jones named All North Cal player of the year:

There’s not much Haley Jones can’t do on a basketball court.

At 6-1, she’s tall enough to post up. So when Archbishop Mitty’s starting center, Nicole Blakes, tore her ACL just before the start of the 2018 postseason, Jones became the first inside option for the team that wound up No. 3 in the nation.

As a 64-percent shooter from the field, Jones can operate from the wings, getting to the rim, dropping in runners and hitting mid-range jump shots.

As a 45-percent shooter from 3-point distance, Jones can switch to shooting guard, extending defenses and opening up the court for herself and her teammates.

And speaking of teammates, they need to be ready when Jones has the ball. When the situation demands it, she’s going to get the ball to the player with the best available shot. Thus, the 4.1 assists per game.

There aren’t numbers like the 21.8 points and 10.0 rebounds per game on the other end of the floor. However, Jones, a coach’s daughter, is a superb defender who uses her length and athleticism to guard whoever she’s assigned. It could be a post or it could be a point guard, as one word that cannot be left out of any description of Haley Jones’s game is “versatile.”

All-NorCal Girls Basketball '17-'18 » SportStars Magazine
I like efficient players. 64% on FGs and 45% from the arc are stellar!!

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd?
CW is better than MW because she is more mature and business like. She could be one of the special ones.....

Reaction Score
CW is better than MW because she is more mature and business like. She could be one of the special ones.....

Everyone handles the pressure of high expectations in their own way..........I'm not sure we know how each will do in the final analysis........hopefully next year will be a great one for both of them.......

Reaction Score
I don't like ND, but the win against Uconn and than claiming the championship pushed ND to the top of ALOT of recruits lists. Bueckers, Brunelle, and Fudd will go to ND
Not sure I agree. While logical that wins equal recruits, UConn has only won 1-2 strong players a year for the past 3 years. Did not obtain commits from many of the top players they pursued.

Reaction Score
I can’t identify who it is, but I trust you.

It’s not great, but it was an exciting play and it wasn’t against UConn. Plus, she’s wearing grey and not green. Paige is a sophomore and seems to be divided between ND and UConn, possibly others.

How many player does ND have in the WNBA—Achonwa, Skylar, and KMac? Maybe one other? UConn has 12-13 and maybe 15 this season. How many does ND have on Team USA—maybe Skylar? We have 3 for sure and maybe 5-6.
In many sales, all you need to win is prove you can reach goal. While UConn has put more in pros than anyone else, hope this is not our primary recruiting pitch.

Reaction Score
That is a good question! I know I've been hoping shed commit to us since I started posting here over a year ago. Listen, I don't think she's a generational player and if we miss out on her were dead, as you know I just really appreciate her skill set, combined with her size and off the court values she would be a wonder addition to Storrs campus. Of course I would wish her the best and root for who we do sign. I think these next 2 classes are so crucial to continuing our legacy. Most of our premium proven talent has graduated or will graduate after this coming season. Im not confident in last years freshman class, in fact the best player might have transferred. We will see, if SB goes to ND, lets hope we can hit on Bueckers, Van Lith, Watson, etc...
Two years ago, we were predicting 3-5 losses. Most of the "generational" players had gone elsewhere. Two years of undefeated seasons and a few points away from national championships shows Geno still has it. While I comment on some of his tactics I disagree with, "the sky is falling" is not in my vocabulary.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. While logical that wins equal recruits, UConn has only won 1-2 strong players a year for the past 3 years. Did not obtain commits from many of the top players they pursued.

it sure hasn't helped Dawn and South Carolina very much

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Posted by me in another thread -

"April 11 is the National Letter of Intent early signing day.

If UConn's back to back semi-final losses have had an impact on recruiting, it may show up then.

I know Williams and ONO were last-minute additions for the 2018 class but it would sure feel good to wrap up some 2019 players early. "

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Posted by me in another thread -

"April 11 is the National Letter of Intent early signing day.

If UConn's back to back semi-final losses have had an impact on recruiting, it may show up then.

I know Williams and ONO were last-minute additions for the 2018 class but it would sure feel good to wrap up some 2019 players early. "
You may be confused about signing dates. April 11 is the regular signing period for the class of 2018, so had Ezi not opted for the pros, we would all be on pins and needles to see if her decision was UConn or UCLA.

The early signing period for the class of 2019 occurs in November. So even if Brunelle declares her intention to sign with ND on April 15, she has 7 months to change her mind.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry Oldude but you're wrong. It's the early signing date for enrollment in 2019/20.

Sorry I didn't include this link.

NLI Future Signing Dates
Yank,

Take a look at the dates again. As listed on the link, the early signing date for the graduating class of 2019 is November of 2018. The regular signing period is April of 2019.

Reaction Score
are you basing your opinion of Griffin on her lack
of being rated? Not sure how much you've seen her play but from what I've seen she has the chance to be a very special player......she's in the first year back from ACL surgery and she is already dominating again..Gabby, Coombs, Amihere, ONO have all had knee issues.......you just never know if there will be a recurrence or if it will hit the previously healthy like what happened with ND

Chong and AEH also dominated at Ossining. I am basing my opinion on the tape I have seen on her. I don't ever offer an opinion on a recruit that I have not watched sufficient tape on. I agree that an injury can strike anybody at any time, the fact that Griffin played with persistent pain in her knee this entire year is a little alarming to me. There is a reason that Gabby Williams got her 2nd procedure done by UConn's Dr. Joyce. Very few surgeons are skilled enough to provide a stable enough repair to the ligament in order to take the beating a WCBB player puts on it.

Reaction Score
She’s a better player because she’s more mature and business like......ok.... she’s better because of skill set?? A better shooter, ball handler?? But because she’s more mature and business like. Didn’t know they were competing for an office desk and a briefcase.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“She’s the total package,” Mitty coach Sue Phillips said. “A kid with a high basketball IQ, noteworthy work ethic, talent that’s off the charts, can play positions 1 through 5,

“In one of her home visits, a coach remarked: ‘You know, there’s no other player in the country like you.’”

When Jones reached seventh grade, she began playing for a club squad in San Francisco that traveled the West Coast for showcases. The team consisted mostly of high school players, including juniors and seniors. Jones was a seventh grader — and a starter.

“I didn’t realize how big that was,” Jones said. “I was just like, ‘These are my girls, this is my team.’ They were like, ‘You’re a seventh grader playing with these 16- and 17-year-old people. They were just like, ‘You’re big time,’ and I was like ‘OK, just calm down.’”

Her teammates started calling her “Baby UConn.” Now she could easily make that a reality.

To accomplish that, Jones said she needs to play stress-free, which means making her college commitment early. She’s made several unofficial visits and hopes to narrow down her choices to fewer than the maximum five schools the NCAA allows recruits to officially visit in the fall.

Her top priority is finding teammates she can bond with. The personality and style of her coach is also a consideration — Phillips has set the bar high — and, of course, academics plays a role. Her goal, Jones said, is to play in the WNBA, but she wants to be ready for anything.

Some kinda wonderful: SC’s Haley Jones is a new breed of basketball player and people are taking notice

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom