2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 123 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
CW made an interesting comment abut her recruitment when she said that for a while she wanted to be the one who "brought UConn down". I think there may be a lot of that sentiment and growing opportunities to be the one to slay the giant. Or perhaps the last to FFs have knocked some of the air out of that movement (if there really is one). I think I just found a sliver of a silver lining in the defeats.:confused:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
“She’s the total package,” Mitty coach Sue Phillips said. “A kid with a high basketball IQ, noteworthy work ethic, talent that’s off the charts, can play positions 1 through 5,

“In one of her home visits, a coach remarked: ‘You know, there’s no other player in the country like you.’”

When Jones reached seventh grade, she began playing for a club squad in San Francisco that traveled the West Coast for showcases. The team consisted mostly of high school players, including juniors and seniors. Jones was a seventh grader — and a starter.

“I didn’t realize how big that was,” Jones said. “I was just like, ‘These are my girls, this is my team.’ They were like, ‘You’re a seventh grader playing with these 16- and 17-year-old people. They were just like, ‘You’re big time,’ and I was like ‘OK, just calm down.’”

Her teammates started calling her “Baby UConn.” Now she could easily make that a reality.

To accomplish that, Jones said she needs to play stress-free, which means making her college commitment early. She’s made several unofficial visits and hopes to narrow down her choices to fewer than the maximum five schools the NCAA allows recruits to officially visit in the fall.

Her top priority is finding teammates she can bond with. The personality and style of her coach is also a consideration — Phillips has set the bar high — and, of course, academics plays a role. Her goal, Jones said, is to play in the WNBA, but she wants to be ready for anything.

Some kinda wonderful: SC’s Haley Jones is a new breed of basketball player and people are taking notice
“Baby UConn”? I recall that Kaleena dubbed Stewie “Baby Husky,” well before Breanna made her college decision. As I recall, that turned out pretty well.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I like efficient players. 64% on FGs and 45% from the arc are stellar!!
And, assuming Brunelle heads to Notre Dame, UConn would be well-served by inking Jones? I think I read (Coco, maybe) that Jones can play some D. If you could have just one, who would it be, Milford, Brunelle or Jones? Any assessment on the chances UConn lands Jones?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And, assuming Brunelle heads to Notre Dame, UConn would be well-served by inking Jones? I think I read (Coco, maybe) that Jones can play some D. If you could have just one, who would it be, Milford, Brunelle or Jones? Any assessment on the chances UConn lands Jones?
Earlier in the season, when UConn was playing out on the west coast, Geno, CD and some of the players all showed up to watch Jones play. More recently, Geno and CD made a joint recruiting call at her house. That tells me that UConn is all in going after Jones. Hopefully, she ends up in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Earlier in the season, when UConn was playing out on the west coast, Geno, CD and some of the players all showed up to watch Jones play. More recently, Geno and CD made a joint recruiting call at her house. That tells me that UConn is all in going after Jones. Hopefully, she ends up in Storrs.

I also hope UCONN gets Jones!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Haley Jones went to the top of my UCONN 2019 wish list in January of this year and remains there. Her play in the Tournament of Champions (Dec 2017) for Mitty being the #1 team in the country was what vaulted her there. Remember Haley was cut from USA basketball U16 team this summer and somehow that cut might have fueled her more than making the team might have. Haley has the potential to be an AA caliber player at positions 2 or 3 at the NCAA level and the ability to defend positions 1-4. There was an article posted by @Sluconn Husky recently speaking to Haley's versatility.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like both kids, but I'm being realistic about our chances with Sam, given the info on the board.

Whom do I want most? I haven't seen either live. I wanted to drive 2 hours from my home to see Sam, but didn't fit it in, and I was in Haley's hometown on a golf trip, but totally spaced out and didn't even think about it. Based on what I have read, I prefer Haley. She is the top player on the nation's top team. The team lost only once, late in the California tournament in triple overtime when Haley fouled out. Her coach said they would have won, if not for the fouls. Everyone describes Haley as extremely versatile, which is a quality Geno likes. She's an excellent student and a great player. She was the Nike TOC MVP, as were Maya and Tina. Kids who win that are often the best of the best.

Sam appears to be an excellent player too. At first, she was advertised as a smaller EDD or maybe a KLS. I don't think either is fully accurate. Sam has good size and a nice shot. There are some questions on her athleticism and speed. Her team lost in the Virginia quarterfinals, when she was slowed down by an athletic freshman (?) who said she was easier to defend than she expected. Contrast that with Haley's tournament performance.

What are our changes with Haley? I think pretty good, but she plays 30 miles from Stanford and may be a Stanford caliber student. Of course, we beat out the Cardinal for Rebecca, Sue, and Lou, so I have my fingers crossed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Which Samuelson sister turned out to be the better of the three? Neither of the two who went to Stanford did as well as KLS and she has another season to do even better. They did well but, not at the same level as KLS. If Jones looks at that I would hope she would choose UCONN before she would choose Stanford, if indeed UCONN is on her short list.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Which Samuelson sister turned out to be the better of the three? Neither of the two who went to Stanford did as well as KLS and she has another season to do even better. They did well but, not at the same level as KLS. If Jones looks at that I would hope she would choose UCONN before she would choose Stanford, if indeed UCONN is on her short list.
True, but I think Lou's success is partly because she went to UConn and partly because she was the most talented sister. But Geno's forcing her to play defense and rebound was why she was a top-2 player this year. Geno will help make Haley Jones an icon.

Reaction Score
I like both kids, but I'm being realistic about our chances with Sam, given the info on the board.

Whom do I want most? I haven't seen either live. I wanted to drive 2 hours from my home to see Sam, but didn't fit it in, and I was in Haley's hometown on a golf trip, but totally spaced out and didn't even think about it. Based on what I have read, I prefer Haley. She is the top player on the nation's top team. The team lost only once, late in the California tournament in triple overtime when Haley fouled out. Her coach said they would have won, if not for the fouls. Everyone describes Haley as extremely versatile, which is a quality Geno likes. She's an excellent student and a great player. She was the Nike TOC MVP, as were Maya and Tina. Kids who win that are often the best of the best.

Sam appears to be an excellent player too. At first, she was advertised as a smaller EDD or maybe a KLS. I don't think either is fully accurate. Sam has good size and a nice shot. There are some questions on her athleticism and speed. Her team lost in the Virginia quarterfinals, when she was slowed down by an athletic freshman (?) who said she was easier to defend than she expected. Contrast that with Haley's tournament performance.

What are our changes with Haley? I think pretty good, but she plays 30 miles from Stanford and may be a Stanford caliber student. Of course, we beat out the Cardinal for Rebecca, Sue, and Lou, so I have my fingers crossed.
Videos I have seen indicate she has a toughness that would work well at UConn. In the Huskie offense, she would get the picks and motion needed to excel.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is Geno still interested in Jordan? And is the interest mutual?
I hope so. I hope so.
Still think UCONN ends up with Jordan Horston or Leiani Correa in 2019. Osborne seems to have dropped out of the picture.

Reaction Score
I hope so. I hope so.
Still think UCONN ends up with Jordan Horston or Leiani Correa in 2019. Osborne seems to have dropped out of the picture.

I think Correa would be thrilled with a UConn offer.........she's really, really good but not sure she's 100% UConn good............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True, but I think Lou's success is partly because she went to UConn and partly because she was the most talented sister. But Geno's forcing her to play defense and rebound was why she was a top-2 player this year. Geno will help make Haley Jones an icon.
Let's hope he gets the chance to coach her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
who really knows......I'm just grasping at straws at this point.....she's likely to drive Geno crazy but from a purely athletic standpoint she's off the charts...
She played (started) for Carla Berube this summer at USA basketball U16 she'll be just fine with Geno.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Lately I've decided we need to have a multiverse, so a player can go to various different colleges in alternate dimensions or realities, and then we can really see the difference in development of a player based on coaching.

Since that probably isn't a possibility, I'm pretty sure if Bonnie or Karlie S. had gone to UConn, they would not have been as good as Katie Lou. It wasn't just because they didn't play for Geno. Conversely if KLS had gone to Stanford she still would've ended up the best of the 3. But again, if only we had a dang multiverse to play with, then we could know some of these things for sure.

Reaction Score
Not sure that proves anything but the fact there has not been a word about her and UConn since she visited over a year ago is concerning.

Maybe the staff is more interested in Brink, I think Camron will be the better of the 2 and maybe even the number 1 player in the 2020 class. Brink Van Lith, and Burke is at the top of my 2020 wish list.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Maybe the staff is more interested in Brink, I think Camron will be the better of the 2 and maybe even the number 1 player in the 2020 class. Brink Van Lith, and Burke is at the top of my 2020 wish list.

There has been no word about Brink and UConn or Brink's recruitment at all since she visited Storrs last November. But I am in agreement about her place in the pecking order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom