2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 87 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Interesting since there is no mention of a UConn offer on his Twitter home page or 247 timeline...

They do have an offer listed further up on the page though.

Reaction Score
Interesting since there is no mention of a UConn offer on his Twitter home page or 247 timeline...
They do have an offer listed further up on the page though.

Yup... but no where else nor does Rivals or ESPN have anything. No activity on his twitter media profile with other offer announcements and only follow is Def GA Dumont. Could be new I guess if it's true - cloudy.

Reaction Score
Yup... but no where else nor does Rivals or ESPN have anything. No activity on his twitter media profile with other offer announcements and only follow is Def GA Dumont. Could be new I guess if it's true - cloudy.

Hmmm... Stephon Gilmore’s brother was choosing from four big-time offers; now he has none

>>So, a highly regarded prospect who had multiple options in front of him in the spring, summer and fall finds himself empty handed in winter. “No clear scholarship offers right now,” Herron explained. “Every single one of them has said we didn’t pull your offer, we’re out of room. Everybody’s committed, we’re done. We don’t have any more spots.”<<

>>“The lesson to learn is number one, if you get an offer and it’s the offer that you want, you better say yes. Lesson number two is, get some help. Ask for advice, call somebody, It’s best to call your coach. If you’re a recruit and you’ve got questions and you’re not sure what’s going on, you definitely don’t want to lose something. Man, go talk to your coach.”<<

Kinda strange but if it breaks in UConn's favor...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought Surgers would be next on the hit list for DL. Edsall does not twitter follow many recruits - however he did so yesterday with Surgers. The frame is there to be a plus player, but at this point in time I think the other DL offers are better gets as they bring a bit more speed. Really feels like we are about to take two more DL guys rather than one considering we have three offers out and three set to visit including one without an offer yet.

As for Grate, I thought Hardin looked like the better safety prospect if choosing between these two - but of course I know nothing as a desk jockey vs the staff. I went back and looked at John Robinson IV’s tape and it’s not too dissimilar. Grate however is a bit bigger and tape doesn’t tell us anything about heart or coachability.

Update: I see Rivals rates Grate as 5.5 or 3 star. I think he went into his senior season with a little more recruiting juice than he has now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Update on Casey. Again, no reported offers prior to thanksgiving, now has offers from Cal, Vandy, Temple, Oregon State, Virginia, Nebraska, Indiana and Rutgers. Despite all those riches, per the quotes in a 247 story dated 12/27, I don’t hear any urgency to make a choice and I would bet they will come and go faster than he thinks. That said, it’s pretty clear he is waiting on Alabama or Ohio State to follow through. His dad was apparently a long time Lax coach at Syracuse. Dino Babers must not be happy Syracuse isn’t getting a sniff. If either Bama or OSU take him he would be the lowest regarded non special teams player they have taken in a long time.

So - pretty clear why the staff wasn’t going to waste energy here.

Casey Rogers‏ @caseyrogers99 1m 1 minute ago
Extremely blessed to have received an offer from Pitt! #H2P

Reaction Score
West Point has a preparatory school right next to the campus as well. Do they have two?

USMA Prep was moved from Fort Monmouth to West Point when the former base was BRAC’ed about 10 years ago. Most base functions moved to Aberdeen Proving Grounds and they built the new prep school near Washington Gate, the golf course and the U.S Mint on the West Point Campus. Since the academies don’t red shirt, the academies use a post-grad year at their prep schools as a pseudo red shirt year before formally admitting them. They are also used for marginal candidates (which is still a pretty high standard) to prove they can hack it before getting admitted to the academy. However, admission to the prep school and successful completion does not guarantee academy admission, nor are prep school grads required to enroll if offered an academy slot.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hmmm... Stephon Gilmore’s brother was choosing from four big-time offers; now he has none

>>So, a highly regarded prospect who had multiple options in front of him in the spring, summer and fall finds himself empty handed in winter. “No clear scholarship offers right now,” Herron explained. “Every single one of them has said we didn’t pull your offer, we’re out of room. Everybody’s committed, we’re done. We don’t have any more spots.”<<

>>“The lesson to learn is number one, if you get an offer and it’s the offer that you want, you better say yes. Lesson number two is, get some help. Ask for advice, call somebody, It’s best to call your coach. If you’re a recruit and you’ve got questions and you’re not sure what’s going on, you definitely don’t want to lose something. Man, go talk to your coach.”<<

Kinda strange but if it breaks in UConn's favor...

From the article, it sounds like he isn't even interested in entertaining G5 scholarship offers? Or at least the interest from teams like Coastal Carolina and App State doesn't seem to interest him and looks like he'd do a PWO at USCe instead. Not sure that things would be different if UConn offered

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

LOL @ duplicate pictures. Michigan State sniffing around.

Info also on Michigan interest in 2019 AOF QB Phommachanh

Oregon also showing interest in Baldonado. I hope we land 2 of 4 in Baldonado, Woodson, Surgers and Nwaogwugwu.

Edit Update - now 247 is reporting that Baldonado will visit Oregon on 1/26 and Nebraska on 2/2. Pretty easy to see why we have since extended offers to others. I went from lukewarm to being excited about this kid, just a very nice combination of size and athletic ability with aggressiveness. And with just one year of US football played, coaches must all think there is real upside here. Neither have offered yet...but the offers seem inevitable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ragaini to Iowa:

FWIW - was told by someone who has been reliable in past - he wanted out of area school and was waiting for the cards to fall.

That hurts. If he wanted to get away then whatever, I get it. He's going to be really good.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ragaini to Iowa:

FWIW - was told he wanted out of area school and was waiting for the cards to fall. Who knows...

Yet didn't he like some of the twitter posts about him and UConn offering? Well - like many of these CT kids it will be interesting to see how it all goes.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yet didn't he like some of the twitter posts about him and UConn offering? Well - like many of these CT kids it will be interesting to see how it all goes.

Wasn't this the kid whose football coach was lobbying to UConn to get him an offer? Maybe I've got that mixed up, but if that's the case, it feels like we might have a little egg on our face...

Reaction Score
Oregon also showing interest in Baldonado. I hope we land 2 of 4 in Baldonado, Woodson, Surgers and Nwaogwugwu.

Edit Update - now 247 is reporting that Baldonado will visit Oregon on 1/26 and Nebraska on 2/2. Pretty easy to see why we have since extended offers to others. I went from lukewarm to being excited about this kid, just a very nice combination of size and athletic ability with aggressiveness. And with just one year of US football played, coaches must all think there is real upside here. Neither have offered yet...but the offers seem inevitable.

Reaction Score
That hurts. If he wanted to get away then whatever, I get it. He's going to be really good.
No. He was never offered by UCONN. Would've verballed long ago. He was the best player I've seen in last 5 years. I'm not too happy with the coaching staff right now!

Reaction Score
Canzeri and now Ragaini. I am sending a trend. Who was the last Italian on the team?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
No. He was never offered by UCONN. Would've verballed long ago. He was the best player I've seen in last 5 years. I'm not too happy with the coaching staff right now!

do you coach a college football team? oh you dont? is it possible that they may know more about the situation and his recruitment than you? is it possible that you may be too close to him and think he may be the best thing since sliced bread? who knows maybe he called RE's wife a skank, none of us know why it is he didnt end up at UConn so we wish him the best of luck in his future and MOVE ON.

Reaction Score
do you coach a college football team? oh you dont? is it possible that they may know more about the situation and his recruitment than you? is it possible that you may be too close to him and think he may be the best thing since sliced bread? who knows maybe he called RE's wife a skank, none of us know why it is he didnt end up at UConn so we wish him the best of luck in his future and MOVE ON.
lol the kid is going to Iowa. I think it's safe to say he's pretty good. He probably had a bunch more offers, too, considering his recruitment was tight lipped and no recruiting service even had this on his offer list

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
lol the kid is going to Iowa. I think it's safe to say he's pretty good. He probably had a bunch more offers, too, considering his recruitment was tight lipped and no recruiting service even had this on his offer list

lol. who cares. He aint going to UConn. Thats the end of the story. Right or wrong I dont get the incessant b!tching and moaning on this board. For some reason he didnt end up at UConn, I personally dont care what the reason is, he is going to IOWA and I wish him the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom