2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 88 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
lol the kid is going to Iowa. I think it's safe to say he's pretty good. He probably had a bunch more offers, too, considering his recruitment was tight lipped and no recruiting service even had this on his offer list
Is he going to Iowa on scholarship or is he walking on? One thing we do know is that UConn needs to improve speed and this kid does not have elite speed based on his track times. Doesn't make him a bad football player, but maybe his skill set is not a good fit.

Reaction Score
lol. who cares. He aint going to UConn. Thats the end of the story. Right or wrong I dont get the incessant b!tching and moaning on this board. For some reason he didnt end up at UConn, I personally dont care what the reason is, he is going to IOWA and I wish him the best of luck.
you're complaining more than anyone else ITT. God forbid people want to keep the little in-state talent we have.

Reaction Score

>>“I wanted to play for Iowa since I visited this past summer,” Ragaini told HN. “I love their blue-collar mentality and feel like I fit in with that concept.”<<

>>Ragaini considered committing to Boston College or Yale earlier but held out for the Hawkeyes. “Coach O’Keefe was keeping in contact with me and Iowa was where I really wanted to be,” he said.<<

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
you're complaining more than anyone else ITT. God forbid people want to keep the little in-state talent we have.

we are keeping in state talent, aside from the top guys that are leaving for P5 programs we are keeping as many of the in state talents as we can. they kid didnt end up at UConn, thats all that matters. also me making 3 comments about how ppl need to stop b!tching that a single kid didnt end up here is not the most complaining that has happened on this thread, trust me.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

>>“I wanted to play for Iowa since I visited this past summer,” Ragaini told HN. “I love their blue-collar mentality and feel like I fit in with that concept.”<<

>>Ragaini considered committing to Boston College or Yale earlier but held out for the Hawkeyes. “Coach O’Keefe was keeping in contact with me and Iowa was where I really wanted to be,” he said.<<

HERE YOU GO.

Reaction Score
Everyone in the Baldonado pool (kid’s blown up since we offered - here was his offer list when we offered — Coastal Carolina (commit), Hampton, Jacksonville University, Tusculum, and Urbana University):

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Oregon also showing interest in Baldonado. I hope we land 2 of 4 in Baldonado, Woodson, Surgers and Nwaogwugwu.

Edit Update - now 247 is reporting that Baldonado will visit Oregon on 1/26 and Nebraska on 2/2. Pretty easy to see why we have since extended offers to others. I went from lukewarm to being excited about this kid, just a very nice combination of size and athletic ability with aggressiveness. And with just one year of US football played, coaches must all think there is real upside here. Neither have offered yet...but the offers seem inevitable.
fwiw I follow Nebraska recruiting extremely closely (closer than UConn) and I've never even heard this name until now. Curious to see if he actually winds up with an offer/if that visit actually happens

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everyone in the Baldonado pool (kid’s blown up since we offered - here was his offer list when we offered — Coastal Carolina (commit), Hampton, Jacksonville University, Tusculum, and Urbana University):

Brandon Collier is becoming an obstical to our recruiting. Shut the heck up.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Congrats to the young.. Hope this one doesn't bite us in the butt later on...

I'm less bothered because I like our two WR commits very much. Time will tell. If WR wasn't the team's strength it would be very different. If we end up taking a third WR this cycle it will be because of something odd in the last days of recruiting where someone like a Steven Gilmore ends up on our door step and we somehow have a slot.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

And 247 has a story out this morning talking about his OV scheduled for Michigan State. Not looking good for us here.

Reaction Score
Yet ....

We still think Offer lists are correct and fully explanatory. This is NOT an efficient market. Asset classes, from my Finance professorship teaching moments, that aren`t efficient leave great opportunities for super-normal returns.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yet ....

We still think Offer lists are correct and fully explanatory. This is NOT an efficient market. Asset classes, from my Finance professorship teaching moments, that aren`t efficient leave great opportunities for super-normal returns.

Who is "we"?

We work with what is published with the unsaid understanding that recruits don't always share offers, share contingent offers (PWO/grey shirt) and sometimes outright lie about offers. Should we write such a disclaimer and add it as a footnote to every post on this thread? I think most following this thread are very much aware of these dynamics as they are inherent in such a process - especially if one is aware of the fact that schools cannot talk about specific kids until they are signed.

Reaction Score
Who is "we"?

We work with what is published with the unsaid understanding that recruits don't always share offers, share contingent offers (PWO/grey shirt) and sometimes outright lie about offers. Should we write such a disclaimer and add it as a footnote to every post on this thread? I think most following this thread are very much aware of these dynamics as they are inherent in such a process - especially if one is aware of the fact that schools cannot talk about specific kids until they are signed.

The fun of UConn Football Recruiting, for me, is that HCRE and his staff (including the kid constantly on his data base) scour to find the underanalyzed and opportunistic story kids. The Stars; the Services; the Offers ... are variables to keep track. But ONLY a Edsall can find a Will Beatty and think broadly. Our Northeast Program will regularly come in 10-12th in even the AAC. Imagine in a P5 (no ... I don’t think that designation lifts us to Iowa type players).

The results of 2003-2009 tell us that we can win with this concept. My view continues to be that HCRE 2.0 is better structure than his first go round. He’s still hungry.

Reaction Score
The fun of UConn Football Recruiting, for me, is that HCRE and his staff (including the kid constantly on his data base) scour to find the underanalyzed and opportunistic story kids. The Stars; the Services; the Offers ... are variables to keep track. But ONLY a Edsall can find a Will Beatty and think broadly. Our Northeast Program will regularly come in 10-12th in even the AAC. Imagine in a P5 (no ... I don’t think that designation lifts us to Iowa type players).

The results of 2003-2009 tell us that we can win with this concept. My view continues to be that HCRE 2.0 is better structure than his first go round. He’s still hungry.
Solid post right here...

Reaction Score
I'm less bothered because I like our two WR commits very much. Time will tell. If WR wasn't the team's strength it would be very different. If we end up taking a third WR this cycle it will be because of something odd in the last days of recruiting where someone like a Steven Gilmore ends up on our door step and we somehow have a slot.
When a kid shows a solid skillset as a WR at the HS level, and is in CT and then ends up committing to a P5 B1G without an offer from us, yet all media outlets indicate him indicating that we never offered him, that's what bothers me with this... This kid gives you visions of a potential Cooper Kupp type(drafted high by the Rams out of E. Washington U - a FCS school), but at the college level for us...With his production and ability to perform in a game, producing consistently, in a game... those things make you wonder should we have found a spot for him? and that's not slighting any of the other kids that we currently have and/or just signed on.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When a kid shows a solid skillset as a WR at the HS level, and is in CT and then ends up committing to a P5 B1G without an offer from us, yet all media outlets indicate him indicating that we never offered him, that's what bothers me with this... This kid gives you visions of a potential Cooper Kupp type(drafted high by the Rams out of E. Washington U - a FCS school), but at the college level for us...With his production and ability to perform in a game, producing consistently, in a game... those things make you wonder should we have found a spot for him? and that's not slighting any of the other kids that we currently have and/or just signed on.

At certain point you have to appreciate the fact that we aren't scouts, have a very limited view of prospect (very few people on this board actually talk to kids, meet their parents, know much about their academics, get a sense of their coachability or work ethic) and aren't privy to all the conversations. Who really knows what has been said and what happened.

Reaction Score
At certain point you have to appreciate the fact that we aren't scouts, have a very limited view of prospect (very few people on this board actually talk to kids, meet their parents, know much about their academics, get a sense of their coachability or work ethic) and aren't privy to all the conversations. Who really knows what has been said and what happened.
Understood and I agree

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I reeeeally hope we can land Stephon Gilmore's little brother
He looks like a four star, even five star with his remarkable burst and ability to change direction. Unfortunately I think we are the victim of a 247 glitch generating false hope.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

He liked the tweet FWIW

Is the possible angle here he is looking for is sister(?), Scarlett, to land with the Uconn Women’s BB team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom