2017 Yankees thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2017 Yankees thread

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yankees break the broom, the bats woke up and CC was nails tonight. What is up with Betances I was actually ok with him pitching the 9th in a low leverage situation and I have never seen Girardi grab the phone so quickly, I think Betances being wild once again could turn into a good thing so Girardi won't make any stupid move and put Betances in a closer game in game 4 or 5.

He can watch the rest of the series from the bench. Sad part is he was an all star...incredible how mental some of these things are

Reaction Score
He can watch the rest of the series from the bench. Sad part is he was an all star...incredible how mental some of these things are

For real it looks like he has Rick Ankiel syndrome, he can't say Girardi hasn't been fair to him.

Reaction Score
Yankees break the broom, the bats woke up and CC was nails tonight. What is up with Betances I was actually ok with him pitching the 9th in a low leverage situation and I have never seen Girardi grab the phone so quickly, I think Betances being wild once again could turn into a good thing so Girardi won't make any stupid move and put Betances in a closer game the rest of the series or at all.
I hated having to bring in Kahnle but I agree it is probably a blessing that Joe now knows never to use Betances again this year.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Judge made two plays last night that would have put Jacoby Ellsbury in traction.

Exciting times.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My son who has played a lot of baseball and I independently had the same idea about batting against Keuchel. Just don’t swing at anything that looks thigh high coming in. It would do a few things that might force him out of his slow stuff that hit the ground. It carries the risk, obviously, that when he wises up, he starts throwing straight fastballs for call strikes, but it will force him away from his usual game plan.

At the least, it seems to me, the batters should move up in the batters box to where they have a chance to make contact with that nasty pitch and also force him to throw more fastballs.

Neither of those adjustments are natural for the hitter, but if NY gets to face him again, hoping he has an off day is a bad approach.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I hated having to bring in Kahnle but I agree it is probably a blessing that Joe now knows never to use Betances again this year.

It’s really sad to see a guy with his talent struggle. That Chicago trade looks bigger than ever.

Reaction Score
What is it when Sonny Gray pitches for the Yankees? The team never hits for him and they make errors behind him.

Reaction Score
What is it when Sonny Gray pitches for the Yankees? The team never hits for him and they make errors behind him.

Well better late then never. What comeback that looked like a 90-early 2000s yankee type of comeback at the old stadium

Reaction Score
LETS GO YANKS!!!
What a comeback. The Toddfather starts it off, and Judge and the boys finished it off. Just a great win. Win tomorrow and all the pressure in the world is on the Stros.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Well better late then never. What comeback that looked like a 90-early 2000s yankee type of comeback at the old stadium
Better late than early. Those late inning comebacks, especially when punctuated with two out RBI, break the spirit of the opposition and encourage the fans. Nothing like, "oh you think were down, but we have a better idea," then opening a can of whoop *ss in 8th inning. Houston may have a better record, but that does not translate to being the better team on any given game in October.
Now is the time for the Bombers to exact a bit of revenge on Keuchel. Momentum is your next starting pitcher, time for Tanaka-san to help bring the Series back to NY.

Reaction Score

Because he is probably horrendous to play behind. So deliberate and throws a lot of pitches; especially balls, for the innings he accrues. Game grinds to a halt when he gets guys on. I loved the trade, and all in all he pitched well tonight, but he is definitely not showing himself to be #1 or #2 guy in a rotation.

Reaction Score
Better late than early. Those late inning comebacks, especially when punctuated with two out RBI, break the spirit of the opposition and encourage the fans. Nothing like, "oh you think were down, but we have a better idea," then opening a can of whoop *ss in 8th inning. Houston may have a better record, but that does not translate to being the better team on any given game in October.
Now is the time for the Bombers to exact a bit of revenge on Keuchel. Momentum is your next starting pitcher, time for Tanaka-san to help bring the Series back to NY.

Was crazy how it unfolded it went from the Astros being in great position to winning the series to all of the sudden being in for a tough series. Yankees gotta get to Keuchel make him throw a lot of pitches early and get on the board first and Tanaka needs to go 7 innings.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Because he is probably horrendous to play behind. So deliberate and throws a lot of pitches; especially balls, for the innings he accrues. Game grinds to a halt when he gets guys on. I loved the trade, and all in all he pitched well tonight, but he is definitely not showing himself to be #1 or #2 guy in a rotation.

Anyone who thought Gray was going to be the #1 or #2 starter was dreaming. He's a decent 3 or 4, that's it.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought Gray was going to be the #1 or #2 starter was dreaming. He's a decent 3 or 4, that's it.

2014 and 2015 had the look of a potential ace... I realize that was an injury and years ago, but I have to admit I thought of him as a real solid #2 in a rotation. I do not feel that way anymore.

Reaction Score
They certainly have the look, playing lights out baseball and just seem to have that "it." We all know about the bullpen but the starting pitching has been incredible. Tanaka totally dominant. Close this one out and take out Verlander down in Houston.

Reaction Score
The Kahnle, DRob, Toddfather trade Cashman pulled off is one of the best midseason trades you'll ever see.

Imagine if the Yankees had to rely on Betances? Their season would have ended a long time ago.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Tanaka-san to Astros: Do you mind if I use your throat as foot rest? Astros: 'gurgle, gurgle.'
Friday is going to be interesting, very interesting.

Reaction Score
The Kahnle, DRob, Toddfather trade Cashman pulled off is one of the best midseason trades you'll ever see.

Imagine if the Yankees had to rely on Betances? Their season would have ended a long time ago.

Definitely... I did not like the trade at the time b/c I really liked Rutherford, the "big" prospect they gave up. But since the trade, Rutherford has sputtered a bit and some of the consensus is that he will drop out of the top 100 prospects. I was not a fan of bringing in Frazier, but man, he has grown on me. Just seems like a good guy; one of those guys you win with. Robertson and Kahnle have outstanding. A really great trade.

I have never understood why some dislike Cashman so much. I'd say for the most part he has made fantastic moves over the years.

Reaction Score

I figured they would trade Betances this offseason, but how can you trade him with his value so low right now.

Reaction Score
Definitely... I did not like the trade at the time b/c I really liked Rutherford, the "big" prospect they gave up. But since the trade, Rutherford has sputtered a bit and some of the consensus is that he will drop out of the top 100 prospects. I was not a fan of bringing in Frazier, but man, he has grown on me. Just seems like a good guy; one of those guys you win with. Robertson and Kahnle have outstanding. A really great trade.

I have never understood why some dislike Cashman so much. I'd say for the most part he has made fantastic moves over the years.
I felt the same way about Frazier, I thought he was done as a hitter and didn't want another strikeout machine. I had no clue he actually battled at the plate (takes a lot of pitches) and more importantly is such a leader. He's your classic guy who wastes away on a bad team but can have a huge impact on a contender. Future manager.

I think Cashman is a great GM, he was coerced into some of those huge contracts to old big name players. Once it was all his, he's shown what he can really do.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Can't stop this train. Yanks are winning Friday night!!

Reaction Score
Betances may be Steve Blass now. Hate to let him go for nothing, Bronx kid, great stuff still young but man, he's scary lost mentally. I'd keep him unless there was a bargain out there.

The trade as many of you mentioned turned out huge, and the "throw in" Frazier has just been great when needed.

The FOX crew, mainly Buck just can't shut the duckk up they miss so many little things to talk about. I mean Headley's hit was great. But within that base running blunder falling down there some very interesting and key baseball plays which they didn't talk about. #1 Correia needed to turn and run at him. #2 Headley's decision was excellent because that was the only way he was going to be safe, a rundown was out of the question he was dead, so that's actually a very heady baseball play. #3 everyone pointed out Altuve being behind the bag, after watching it again it seemed to me the reason he was behind was being so small he needed space to see over Headley to see where the throw was coming from.

Last night, key pitch after key pitch by Tanaka he was so good. Good to have Sanchez and Judge at least impacting, not at their best but capable right now (how did Aaron look at 3 strikes his last AB without swinging puzzling). But Headley is hotter than horse piss again, good timing. Need Gardner to start swinging at strike one and not worrying about chasing up the pitch count. He hasn't hit the ball hard since Cleveland. Need him to get aggressive in Houston.

Gonna be a tough 2 games, hopefully 1. Verlander - like our chances this time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom