2017 Yankees thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2017 Yankees thread

Reaction Score
Girardi is gonna have a horde of cameras when he comes back to NY and he deserves it he let his team, he cant even admit he was wrong, it did sound like he knew it in the press conference.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Girardi has been Yankee manger for 10 years. In that time he has won 1 AL title and 1 World series (both in 2009). His post season record as Yankee manager is 22 - 21. His overall winning percentage with Yankees is 562.

May be time for a change.

Reaction Score
Im usually not one to bash Girardi and I did think a lot of Yankee fans were crazy for wanting him gone after this season but now I'm not against not bringing him back it depends who replaces him.

Reaction Score
ESPN is pushing the story line of Girardi lost the game when he didn't challenge the hit batter. They are not being kind.
Because they're exactly right. He didn't exactly cover himself in glory with the rest of his game management, either.

• Leash too short with CC at 77 pitches, but having retired 11 in a row before walking Santana
  • Leash too long with Green who normally has a 40% whiff rate on his FB and couldn't get it past anyone
  • Leash FAR too long with D-Rob considering he was questionable for the game at all, and then sent out for a third inning ?
  • And he had Chapman ready to go in the 8th and he ended up throwing 2 innings anyhow
Just absolutely horrid management of the game. You have ONE JOB.

Reaction Score
It was the worst managing job I've ever seen as a Yankee fan. All of his moves blew up in his face. The non challenge is baffling. You have to challenge that after Sanchez says it hit the bat. Pulling CC after 77 pitches and in control was a head scratcher too.

I like Girardi, think he gets a lot of unwarranted abuse by the fans, but even I have to say it's probably time to move on. 10 years is a long time for a mananger on the same team.

Reaction Score
They lost a lot of 1-2 run games due to his ineptitude all year with the bullpen and even the bench. Let’s not forget he brought in the B team bullpen on the last Thursday of the regular season with a chance to cut it to 1 game too.

It’s time and he secured that fate with so many horrible decisions Friday. He has to go

Reaction Score
2017 Yankees live to play another day, what a performance by Tanaka and what a moon shot by Bird. Chapman sweats like crazy but whatever it takes to get that save.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority on Girardi. Not saying he didn't blow their chance in Game 2, but I think he's done a very solid job these past few years of keeping the team relevant when they didn't always have the best players. He definitely has a short hook in big games, but sometimes that works (see Game 1). My only fear in replacing Girardi is that there's no guarantee that the person you're going to replace him with will be an improvement. This Yankee roster is poised to do great things over the next few years. I'm not sure we want a manager that has to learn on the job with so much at stake.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority on Girardi. Not saying he didn't blow their chance in Game 2, but I think he's done a very solid job these past few years of keeping the team relevant when they didn't always have the best players. He definitely has a short hook in big games, but sometimes that works (see Game 1). My only fear in replacing Girardi is that there's no guarantee that the person you're going to replace him with will be an improvement. This Yankee roster is poised to do great things over the next few years. I'm not sure we want a manager that has to learn on the job with so much at stake.

Does Girardi want to come back? In a recent ESPN article Girardi says he is fine either way. I don't want a manager who really doesn't want the job. Sounds like Girardi is done. And I get it. Managing the Yankees has to be one of the most stressful jobs in sports and 10 years is a long time. You are always under the microscope.

While there is no guarantee than another manager will be an improvement, there is no guarantee that Girardi is going to change his ways in managing. He is too married to his notebook and his pregame plans. He either has lost or doesn't have the feel for the game in real time. The playoff disaster is just a magnification of what has happened all year. Look at the leads blown when Tyler Clippard was Joe's main man out of the pen. Clippard kept getting hit and Joe didn't change his game plan. Eventually Clippard was traded away. And what about Betances? The forgotten man? Or burned out from overuse. Joe reminds me of Buck Showalter. Good to very good manager but not going to get you a World Series title.

Reaction Score
I think giving Girardi a 1 year contract would be the right move.

Reaction Score
They lost a lot of 1-2 run games due to his ineptitude all year with the bullpen and even the bench. Let’s not forget he brought in the B team bullpen on the last Thursday of the regular season with a chance to cut it to 1 game too.

It’s time and he secured that fate with so many horrible decisions Friday. He has to go
I agree, he's done.

Reaction Score
Does Girardi want to come back? In a recent ESPN article Girardi says he is fine either way. I don't want a manager who really doesn't want the job. Sounds like Girardi is done. And I get it. Managing the Yankees has to be one of the most stressful jobs in sports and 10 years is a long time. You are always under the microscope.

While there is no guarantee than another manager will be an improvement, there is no guarantee that Girardi is going to change his ways in managing. He is too married to his notebook and his pregame plans. He either has lost or doesn't have the feel for the game in real time. The playoff disaster is just a magnification of what has happened all year. Look at the leads blown when Tyler Clippard was Joe's main man out of the pen. Clippard kept getting hit and Joe didn't change his game plan. Eventually Clippard was traded away. And what about Betances? The forgotten man? Or burned out from overuse. Joe reminds me of Buck Showalter. Good to very good manager but not going to get you a World Series title.
Indeed. And I don't think they need to bring in some kind of rookie manager, either. It's a young team. They need the cool head of a veteran manager. I'm not sure who the "Clueless Joe" of 2017 is, but I think it's time for a change.

Great win tonight, though I'm of two minds on scoring all the unearned runs. It's a sign of a clutch team, so to speak, to take advantage of other team's mistakes, but if Cleveland doesn't play Bad News Bears tonight, there's no guarantee the series is even headed back to Cleveland. Momentum in baseball is tomorrow's starting pitcher. When you're likely sending out this season's Cy Young winner, it's an uphill climb.

Reaction Score
Indeed. And I don't think they need to bring in some kind of rookie manager, either. It's a young team. They need the cool head of a veteran manager. I'm not sure who the "Clueless Joe" of 2017 is, but I think it's time for a change.

Great win tonight, though I'm of two minds on scoring all the unearned runs. It's a sign of a clutch team, so to speak, to take advantage of other team's mistakes, but if Cleveland doesn't play Bad News Bears tonight, there's no guarantee the series is even headed back to Cleveland. Momentum in baseball is tomorrow's starting pitcher. When you're likely sending out this season's Cy Young winner, it's an uphill climb.

It sure will be an uphill climb its gonna be very nerve racking watching tonights game. If the Yankees go down in defeat tonight I will be crushed in the heat of the moment because the season has been so much fun, but I will have my head held up no matter what tonights outcome is. This is a great experience for this team going toe to toe against the World Series favorites, there is more pressure on the Indians tonight they are the home team, Yankees gotta on the board first and put the pressure on Cleveland. This season has felt like the 2011 Uconn season a young team ahead of schedule that started out the season hot then hit a huge slump then got hot late in the year, in the playoffs you need some lucky breaks, like Uconn near the end of the Arizona game in the elite 8, or the 5 games in 5 games. You could say the Yankees got some breaks in game 4 they might need the same tonight have to hope the Cleveland bats stay cold and that Kluber pitches less then his best and that CC ideally gives you 6 innings. Gonna have to play great and get lucky tonight well see what happens.

Reaction Score
It sure will be an uphill climb its gonna be very nerve racking watching tonights game. If the Yankees go down in defeat tonight I will be crushed in the heat of the moment because the season has been so much fun, but I will have my head held up no matter what tonights outcome is. This is a great experience for this team going toe to toe against the World Series favorites, there is more pressure on the Indians tonight they are the home team, Yankees gotta on the board first and put the pressure on Cleveland. This season has felt like the 2011 Uconn season a young team ahead of schedule that started out the season hot then hit a huge slump then got hot late in the year, in the playoffs you need some lucky breaks, like Uconn near the end of the Arizona game in the elite 8, or the 5 games in 5 games. You could say the Yankees got some breaks in game 4 they might need the same tonight have to hope the Cleveland bats stay cold and that Kluber pitches less then his best and that CC ideally gives you 6 innings. Gonna have to play great and get lucky tonight well see what happens.
Cleveland is the team who got the lucky breaks in this series so far, if not for Girardi the series would already be over.

Reaction Score
Cleveland is the team who got the lucky breaks in this series so far, if not for Girardi the series would already be over.

I know the Yankees have been the better team in this series they should be headed to Houston already but can't look back now.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I think it hinges on:
Does Girardi manage like Ambrose Burnside and do what it takes to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? Or is it like Sherman and march to the sea? (Yeah, I'm re-watching Civil War by Ken Burns) I really wish it would be the players that decide the game, but as every Yankee fan knows, Burnside ain't got nothing on Girardi.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Didi! Our very own Kluber killer!

Reaction Score
I'm watching the game in the American Airlines Admiral Club in Denver and am pretty sure I disturbed everybody when I started clapping after Didi's HR. CC is pitching like it's 1999. I've got another hour before my flight leaves. I'd feel better if the Yanks have a much bigger lead.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Is Judge the second coming of Dunn? S/o or HR nothing in between

Reaction Score
Girardi still has no feel for the moment, I was begging for him to pull CC. Sabathia was masterful but 3 straight hits and you have to pull him. Last CC start he pulls CC after 1 baserunner and 77 pitches.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Girardi still has no feel for the moment, I was begging for him to pull CC. Sabathia was masterful but 3 straight hits and you have to pull him. Last CC start he pulls CC after 1 baserunner and 77 pitches.
He owed it to him.

Reaction Score
Great at bat from Frazier and one of the best at bats I've ever seen by Gardy. Now shut this down Aroldis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom