OT: - 2017 Masters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 2017 Masters

Reaction Score
HuskiesAllDay has Tiger to the tea (or tee)? LOL

Anyway you can see in his short game which is something you would expect he'd be able to still grasp, he has little confidence getting up and down. Up and down was his 2nd choice back in the day instead he was trying to make everything around the green.

It sucks for golf quite honestly, the kids are good players but they have no personalities like it or not. Many will say what did Tiger have, well he had the personality that you either loved him or hated him. Plus he was never out of it, never. It's not the same watching golf but it's still a great sport. Who will be the next great one?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Anyway you can see in his short game which is something you would expect he'd be able to still grasp, he has little confidence getting up and down. Up and down was his 2nd choice back in the day instead he was trying to make everything around the green.

It sucks for golf quite honestly, the kids are good players but they have no personalities like it or not. Many will say what did Tiger have, well he had the personality that you either loved him or hated him. Plus he was never out of it, never. It's not the same watching golf but it's still a great sport. Who will be the next great one?
He was so dominant for such a long stretch and that domination attracted a lot of fans. It was good for the sport.

And yet the dominance of UConn women in bb is bad for the sport. Head bang

Reaction Score

Ha. Thanks mau. Agree with your assessment.

Forget analyzing stats (driving distance, save percentage, avg putts), a simple eye test tells you all you need to know about tiger.

He simply doesn't even look close to the same guy. Just the way he walks around the course. The way he stares down shots. Or focuses before shots. It's all way off now. He has no confidence.

Add that to he fact that he looks so uncomfortable when he swings. He is protecting his back so much. He's toast.

As I said, I thought he looked great in he Bahamas. All his other "comebacks" the last few years, he looked awful. But down there he was really stroking it. He looked rusty. But it all looked fixable. Six weeks later and he looks like a cripple again. It really sucks. I wish he would just retire for good so we can all stop getting our hopes up, even though we should all know better by now.

He will never be replaced. Disagree a little on the current state. There are some guys out there with some personality/ swag like rickie, Rory, spieth.

The overall state of the tour is great though. So many great players. But none come close to tiger. Both skill wise and personality wise. Nobody ever will.

He's like mj. Simply impossible to replace.

Reaction Score
Difficult conditions again today. Name of the game is to hang around and hope it clears up this weekend.

Hoffman gave a few shots back, which opens it up. Sergio with a nice surge today (great pun). Rickie looking good. Rory hanging around; but he isn't playing great. his putter saved his yesterday, but today he's returned to form and missed a bunch of 4-8 footers. Phil and Rahm both looking strong. And spieth needs to get it going here on the back 9 if he wants to put himself in contention.

Still wide open. Anybody who finishes around Even today should be feeling pretty good. Should be a fun weekend.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The leader board compressed really nicely today with 15 players within 5 shots including tons of star power. Much better weather should make for a great Moving Day.

Reaction Score
Really impressed with Pieters making the comeback after squandering an early lead yesterday...he's a player

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Some fantastic pairings tomorrow (in order, starting from the +1s):
Kuchar and Rory
Spieth and Michelson
Rose and Scott
Rahm and Couples (amazing he is in the top 9 at age 57)
McGirt and Moore
Pieters and Fowler (this is good for Fowler not having to play with a big name)
Hoffman and Garcia

CBS hit the mother load this year.

Reaction Score
Do people still hate Sergio? I'd like to see him win one major even though history points to an inevitable implosion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do people still hate Sergio? I'd like to see him win one major even though history points to an inevitable implosion.

I think Sergio has morphed in to the loveable old guy looking for that career defining win.

Couple of things have helped him.

He made it through the yips and his constant backing off shots.

He has accepted he won't ever be Tiger.

He's been very good for the Ryder Cup.

And he's been playing some consistent good golf on the big stages.

I wouldn't mind at all if he won.

Reaction Score
Add to that the youngsters have 'caught up' and are playing great and equal or better to a current Tiger's best.

Also he has lost the 'fear factor'. Probably back in the day that was good for a couple of strokes on the weekend.

I have always argued that Tiger should not have returned to the big stage but competed in the lesser Tourneys, like a Traveler's in Hartford. He returned appearing cocky but not confident and a lot of golf is about confidence. Perhaps the lesser Tourneys (i.e. lesser competition) would have helped his progression. But to come back against Spieth, Rory, Jason, Dustin, etc... and expect to compete and dominate (his cockiness) to me was insane.
I think its karma. He needs to play the places he's dissed for years.

Reaction Score
I think Sergio has morphed in to the loveable old guy looking for that career defining win.

Couple of things have helped him.

He made it through the yips and his constant backing off shots.

He has accepted he won't ever be Tiger.

He's been very good for the Ryder Cup.

And he's been playing some consistent good golf on the big stages.

I wouldn't mind at all if he won.
As long as he isn't in the group ahead of you spitting into the cup.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some fantastic pairings tomorrow (in order, starting from the +1s):
Kuchar and Rory
Spieth and Michelson
Rose and Scott
Rahm and Couples (amazing he is in the top 9 at age 57)
McGirt and Moore
Pieters and Fowler (this is good for Fowler not having to play with a big name)
Hoffman and Garcia

CBS hit the mother load this year.

Rahm and Freddie jumped out at me. Freddie is so mellow.

I'm torn if Freddie's calm helps Rahm or freaked him out.

If Rahm can handle the stress if Fred looking like he's taking an afternoon stroll rather than being on the leaderboard, Rahm can go bonkers. Also, I'll be interested to see if Rahm picks up cues from Fred on how to tame the course without overpowering it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hoffman and Garcia is another good group of two stellar drivers and shot makers.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Hoffman and Garcia is another good group of two stellar drivers and shot makers.
I think Spieth and Michelson could be really fun to watch. Kind of the old guard and the new guard and both have great short games. The greens are going to get hard and fast tomorrow. Putting will dominate.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not but ironically Rory is not a good wind player.
He said once a few years ago that he didn't particularly like playing in the wind and that got interpreted as Rory not being a good wind player. He plays as well as anybody in the wind.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that his "comeback" could've been handled better. But I don't think cockiness had anything to do with it. You even said yourself he has no confidence. So I'm not sure how you can be cocky, but not confident.

He didn't return at a big tournament like you said. Rather, he came back to a small tournament in the Bahamas that had a field of 18 guys. Then he waited 6 weeks and returned to Torrey Pines, the course he grew up on and one of his most familiar courses. So he didn't just jump right back into a major.

The timing of it probably had a lot to do with his new endorsements. I think there is some truth to what Pat Perez was saying. Doesn't even have to be sinister in any way. But all these new brands were sponsoring Tiger and they wanted to get a return on their investment and create a lot of hype around his return, so they ran all these ads and commercials featuring him to coincide with the start of the season and the purchasing season for new equipment. Makes perfect sense.

If anything Tiger has no cockiness at all and looks like a shell of his former self, both mentally and obviously physically. He has no swagger anymore. Guy can barely walk.

It really sucks coming from a monster Tiger fan. He gave me a glimmer of hope during the Bahamas that he had a chance to return. His swing looked great and really smooth down there. Best I'd seen it in years. In that tournament he looked rusty rather than he lost it.

At Torrey he looked like the Tiger that we've sadly come to know. The one that doesn't have it anymore and can barely even swing a club. Kills me to say it, but hes definitely finished. Way too many injuries.
Tiger was a great player in his prime but I'd still take Jack on the 18th tee needing a birdie to win. Similar players in that they overpowered the course and neither of them are the nicer players on the tour.
I've always thought that Tiger made too many swing changes. He still has enough left to win a tournament if he stays healthy but it won't be a major. He was fun to watch in his prime.

Reaction Score
Tiger was a great player in his prime but I'd still take Jack on the 18th tee needing a birdie to win. Similar players in that they overpowered the course and neither of them are the nicer players on the tour.
I've always thought that Tiger made too many swing changes. He still has enough left to win a tournament if he stays healthy but it won't be a major. He was fun to watch in his prime.

Tiger in his prime prior to swing changes on the 18th all day long. Respect Jack and man at 46 he proved he could still do it, but Tiger did some amazing things when required time and time again. Can't lose choosing either one that's for sure.

Reaction Score
The last 2 pairings are phenomenal. You'll rarely get everyone.

Basically having 4 of the top 10 out of 4 spots is something.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Should be an exciting final round for sure. Perfect conditions with the greens getting harder. Not hitting the correct part of the greens will be amplified as well putting. Hard to bet against Rose at this point. He's won a major before and doesn't have that hanging on his shoulders. Spieth in a great position considering where he came from - 10 shots back after day 1 with 40 players better, 4 shots back after day 2 with 9 players better, 2 shots back going into the final round with 3 players better. I think he'll need a 66 to win/tie but if gets off early and puts some pressure on the leaders, maybe a 67/68 will do. I was surprised Garcia bounced back. It looked like he lost all confidence in his putter midway through the round but the lucky break not going into the creek seemed to propel him.

I think it comes down to Rose and Spieth in the final couple holes and it's hard to count out Spieth in a grind.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Tiger in his prime prior to swing changes on the 18th all day long. Respect Jack and man at 46 he proved he could still do it, but Tiger did some amazing things when required time and time again. Can't lose choosing either one that's for sure.
Kind of hard to believe he hasn't won a major since 2008. 8 full years without a major. He got to within spitting distance of Jack and then fell off the map.

For the record, when you're the best golfer in the world and winning one or two majors a year, why do you change your swing? Was it too much torque and he had to try to adapt to play longer?

Reaction Score
Was not a Jack fan for a long time, shame on me. He is the GOAT, and possibly one of the classiest people too.

Reaction Score
Kind of hard to believe he hasn't won a major since 2008. 8 full years without a major. He got to within spitting distance of Jack and then fell off the map.

For the record, when you're the best golfer in the world and winning one or two majors a year, why do you change your swing? Was it too much torque and he had to try to adapt to play longer?
I think that's pretty close. I think he could have done fine without being the longest hitter. Look how many times he didn't even hit driver in certain tournaments. Can't call him a headcase because he proved he could manage with less, so I have no idea why he isn't playing. Has to be confidence at this point.

Reaction Score
Was not a Jack fan for a long time, shame on me. He is the GOAT, and possibly one of the classiest people too.

Was never a Jack fan until he got older. But if you didn't have a couple tears during the opening ceremony watching him and Gary Player hold it together as they spoke of Arnie you aren't human. And then as Jack tee'd off and looked to the sky and tipped his cap in a gesture to his lost buddy, every touching.

Reaction Score
I started liking and pulling for Sergio a few years back. Would like to see him win a major, maybe today.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Any hack sportswriter can write the storyline this morning for any if the players in contention.

They're pretty much a likeable group of players.

The only player I can think of that's easy to dislike is Jason Day.

That is sponsored by Concur and Concur is pure evil. Screw him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom