OT: - 2017 Masters | The Boneyard

OT: 2017 Masters

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Starts tomorrow so it's time to get the discussion started. I always pull for Spieth first. I would have said it seems that Dustin had finally broken through and looks like he has his head finally close to the same level as his ball striking, but it appears he may not even play. Damn hardwood floors and socks.... So I'll go with Spieth.

Here are the odds for the top 20 before being adjusted for well waxed flooring:
Odds to win 2017 Masters (4/6/17)
Dustin Johnson 11/2
Jordan Spieth 13/2
Rory McIlroy 17/2
Jon Rahm 18/1
Phil Mickelson 18/1
Rickie Fowler 18/1
Jason Day 20/1
Hideki Matsuyama 22/1
Justin Rose 30/1
Sergio Garcia 30/1
Henrik Stenson 32/1
Adam Scott 35/1
Bubba Watson 35/1
Justin Thomas 35/1
Paul Casey 40/1
Brandt Snedeker 50/1
Louis Oosthuizen 55/1
Matt Kuchar 55/1
Tyrrell Hatton 55/1
Patrick Reed 60/1

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Ahhhhh - also high winds and cold forecast for Thursday and Friday. Good conditions for Rory. He could easily be the 36 hole leader.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fowler is playing great. There is always someone you don't expect. Wonder who that could be.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like Emiliano Grillo.

Which means he'll probably finish with an MC.

Definitely wouldn't be surprised with Spieth and McIlroy battling on Sunday afternoon.

Reaction Score
When does DJ have to decide? He is in the last group teeing off tomorrow.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that Tiger isn't playing.
Like him or not, he makes it 10x more interesting.
Hopefully neither Spieth nor McIlroy have a clunker.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'll go with Jon Rahm. First time at Augusta doesn't help but he's playing well.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that Tiger isn't playing.
Like him or not, he makes it 10x more interesting.
Hopefully neither Spieth nor McIlroy have a clunker.
I'm a big Tiger fan, but he will never be relevant again. Way too much time away from the game, way too many injuries. He'll never win another major. He's 41 (shocking) and he may win a couple more regular tournaments, but his time is way behind him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm a big Tiger fan, but he will never be relevant again. Way too much time away from the game, way too many injuries. He'll never win another major. He's 41 (shocking) and he may win a couple more regular tournaments, but his time is way behind him.
What a story that would be if he come back and won a major...

Reaction Score
No chance DJ 'slipped.' there must be something more

Reaction Score
No chance DJ 'slipped.' there must be something more

Chasing Gretzky around naked is what happened, the ole stand up on the stairs and slipped on the happy ending.:eek:

The kid Fleetwood will make some noise, solid player and I think Henley may keep the putting momentum he is running on which is a huge piece at Augusta. Most important thing is to know about these guys as "mudders" with the first 2 days having huge winds and crappy weather predictions. You have to think the Euro's and especially the Irish/Scottish/English will find the weather rather normal. Should be a fun 2 days.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Believe it or not but ironically Rory is not a good wind player.

Rory loves to fly it high and drop the ball in soft to the greens. That normally should play well at Augusta.

When Augusta gets dry, not so much.

I have to think someone who can work it left, right, hi, low and is strong/creative around the greens, is going to win.

The Tiger proofing made the course amenable to lefties. But I wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on Phil or Bubba.

I like Spieth

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Isn't Jason Day at 20-1 a good price?

He's the guy I'd say is due to break through (or maybe Justin Rose). But this damned tournament sometimes has guys like that who finish top 5 over and over. Greg Norman never won the thing.

Reaction Score
Spieth just took a nine on 15 went from -1 to +4 in 3 holes on the back. Hope last year didn't f up his head.

Reaction Score
Add to that the youngsters have 'caught up' and are playing great and equal or better to a current Tiger's best.

Also he has lost the 'fear factor'. Probably back in the day that was good for a couple of strokes on the weekend.

I have always argued that Tiger should not have returned to the big stage but competed in the lesser Tourneys, like a Traveler's in Hartford. He returned appearing cocky but not confident and a lot of golf is about confidence. Perhaps the lesser Tourneys (i.e. lesser competition) would have helped his progression. But to come back against Spieth, Rory, Jason, Dustin, etc... and expect to compete and dominate (his cockiness) to me was insane.

Reaction Score
Add to that the youngsters have 'caught up' and are playing great and equal or better to a current Tiger's best.

Also he has lost the 'fear factor'. Probably back in the day that was good for a couple of strokes on the weekend.

I have always argued that Tiger should not have returned to the big stage but competed in the lesser Tourneys, like a Traveler's in Hartford. He returned appearing cocky but not confident and a lot of golf is about confidence. Perhaps the lesser Tourneys (i.e. lesser competition) would have helped his progression. But to come back against Spieth, Rory, Jason, Dustin, etc... and expect to compete and dominate (his cockiness) to me was insane.

I don't disagree that his "comeback" could've been handled better. But I don't think cockiness had anything to do with it. You even said yourself he has no confidence. So I'm not sure how you can be cocky, but not confident.

He didn't return at a big tournament like you said. Rather, he came back to a small tournament in the Bahamas that had a field of 18 guys. Then he waited 6 weeks and returned to Torrey Pines, the course he grew up on and one of his most familiar courses. So he didn't just jump right back into a major.

The timing of it probably had a lot to do with his new endorsements. I think there is some truth to what Pat Perez was saying. Doesn't even have to be sinister in any way. But all these new brands were sponsoring Tiger and they wanted to get a return on their investment and create a lot of hype around his return, so they ran all these ads and commercials featuring him to coincide with the start of the season and the purchasing season for new equipment. Makes perfect sense.

If anything Tiger has no cockiness at all and looks like a shell of his former self, both mentally and obviously physically. He has no swagger anymore. Guy can barely walk.

It really sucks coming from a monster Tiger fan. He gave me a glimmer of hope during the Bahamas that he had a chance to return. His swing looked great and really smooth down there. Best I'd seen it in years. In that tournament he looked rusty rather than he lost it.

At Torrey he looked like the Tiger that we've sadly come to know. The one that doesn't have it anymore and can barely even swing a club. Kills me to say it, but hes definitely finished. Way too many injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom