“It’s all over” - A compilation of a few really dumb posts | Page 6 | The Boneyard

“It’s all over” - A compilation of a few really dumb posts

If these were your only 5 options...

• Hurley

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • Crean

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • McGrath

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Skerry

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But at least you admit you are here to make us suffer and yes I admit, you do a great job of that.

Anyone who posts garbage like this

And these horrible terrible players who have all in their own way helped kill our athletic program are a disgrace.

deserves every bit of it.

Reaction Score
The idea that we can;t get recruits at UConn because of the AAC makes no sense. Certainly we would do better from a P5 or even BE but how does. Cincy and Wichita State get them? We play mid majors with some better players than we have in some cases. We are doing a poor job recognizing talent and an even worse job coaching it. House cleaning time.
Hence the 4 month old hiring of chillious.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Their coaches do more with less than ours does. That's how you distinguish between good coaching and.well, what we have.
Sorry, NYHusky. Somehow I replied to the wrong post. I was trying to respond to the person saying Cinci and Wichita get better recruits than we do.

Reaction Score
Neither the coach or AD will be fired, nor should they. People need to stop comparing the current UConn athletics with the UConn that was in the Big East. People are comparing apples and oranges. UConn was left behind in conference realignment. We need to accept that fact so that we as a program can move forward. We are now a mid-major program that is in a conference where we are geographical miss fits. It’s no ones fault. It is what it is. The days of being a national program are behind us. We still can be a very good regional program. Remember, this is college basketball, not the pros. We need to enjoy it for what it is.
KO is that you?
News flash, the AAC would be a very good conference if Ollie didn’t run UConn into the ground. You have no clue what you’re talking about. If being in a better conference was the automatic answer why are there P5 programs that always suck? Just like KO.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This started as a logical discussion based on facts and developments in the athletic department

When two moronic losers @Stairmaster @Jimmy Serrano started with personal attacks, i wish i could say I’m the bigger man. But i can’t let a couple losers on here write something behind a computer that they’d never say to my face

The Saban/Meyer talk was clearly hyberbole... but wouldn’t expect you to understand that since you already think the almighty Dave is God himself in human form

Oh @Jimmy Serrano would say it to your face. You don’t have to worry about that.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Will you be going? Or have the past two games kept you away? Should fans continue to support the team or send a message to AD Dave?
I am going because of the chance to actually watch a top tier club in WSU.

Reaction Score
KO: “ we’ve got to play for the UConn jersey, we’ve got to play with pride and fight”. He should record this on his iphone and just have Chillious give it to the press after every game.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The guy fired diaco and hired.... Randy Edsall!!!

Yay!! They went 3-9. Be proud of state U

Ollie and squad ‘17-18 is embarassing the entire state... woohoooo

People don’t even show up to games anymore

Yay!!!! This AD is dynamite. Maybe give him a 10yr extension!

I’m sure your parents are proud to produce an unoriginal loser who can’t produce a coherent thought or argument on a damn blog

I like AD Dave but will reserve my opinion of him until there's a little more data. But you are blaming him for things he did not do. Attendance in football and basketball is bad because of years of losing. For football that goes back to Warde & Co. And all the fan outreach won't do anything until the team starts winning. To expect RE to turn it around in year 1 would be unrealistic. As for MBB, the contract extension Ollie got was a done deal prior to AD David Benedict arriving, he just had to put his John Hancock on it. Once again the blame goes on Warde & Susan and whoever else approved that deal.

What AD David Benedict has done as others have mentioned is to get the new stadiums moving. He hired a safe FB coach which is what we needed after years of BD & PP. He swayed Lashlee to come to UConn and that influence was evident in year 1. He'll need to replace the women's soccer coach at some point soon. It would be nice to see them return to some level of dominance.

I've put out some of the positives. I think it's on you now to say what he has done wrong. Most of what you noted earlier were either opinions (like uninspiring hire of RE), existed before he got here (Attendance declining, supplemental tuition being high, contract extension for Ollie (WM) ) or had nothing to do with him (Losing CT money & XL Center). The only thing he's been involved in from your list is RE's son's hiring, which I believe they followed the proper procedure on. To call it an embarrassing battle is a stretch since nobody outside of CT cares and to this point there's been very little battling.

Reaction Score
It's the only logical take present on this board.

The state and university are in dire financial straits, which greatly weakens our ability to compensate a high-caliber coach. The AD cannot afford to pay anyone what KO is making, especially due to the poor quality of our future TV deals and the increasingly wide gap between P5 and non-P5 programs in terms of revenue.

We are coming off of a putrid three-year stretch that has completely destroyed what little "fan base" of non-frontrunners we had. No prospective coach will find our roster going forward to be attractive at all. The conference is a bigger drain on recruiting than most would like to admit, and the UConn name is worth little on the NE recruiting scene thanks to Ed Cooley's mudslinging. Rebuilding this program requires a gargantuan effort for which there is little reward, both monetary and in terms of postseason play - we have all seen how many seed lines teams in this conference are bumped down compared to P5 teams with near-identical resumes. Should I also mention that playing in this conference, coaches know they have absolutely zero margin for error in the non-conference portion of the schedule if they want an at-large?

Now compare us to a P5 program that can pay more, garners far more positive media coverage inherently due to their position, and plays a conference schedule with plenty of opportunities to get quality wins (thereby lowering the heat during the months of November and December). That is a low-risk, high-reward scenario. Coaches don't want to enter situations where they are likely to fail; this is their livelihood we're talking about.

Any lofty paeans appealing to "tradition and history" mean nothing outside of this forum. Your average college coach does not see Jim Calhoun and Rip Hamilton when he looks at the state of the program currently, and probably not even Kemba or Shabazz. The rest of the world moves on quickly. "What have you done for me lately?"

Bottom line, the kind of coaches we need have other opportunities that are probably better long-term choices for their careers.
Almost nobody agrees with you. More recent history then any basketball program in the country. The program willing to pay top 10 salary. Program with state-of-the-art facilities, and in a conference that’s improving each year. You can keep believing what you wanna believe. Nobody else believes you.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The only thing he's been involved in from your list is RE's son's hiring, which I believe they followed the proper procedure on. To call it an embarrassing battle is a stretch since nobody outside of CT cares and to this point there's been very little battling.

Furthermore, Corey Edsall is probably the best recruiter on the staff. He was the point man on the kid who led the team in rushing as a true FR.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
‘I don’t know why Auburn bothered to show up, they barely won’.

Reaction Score
We won't ever be a top 10 program as long as we are in the AAC. We can be a top 25 program, though. P5 or NBE would likely raise that ceiling.

Tell that to Gonzaga and Wichita State.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Same reason I'm going to the Villanova game- chance to see a competent team on the floor.

Reaction Score
This started as a logical discussion based on facts and developments in the athletic department

When two moronic losers @Stairmaster @Jimmy Serrano started with personal attacks, i wish i could say I’m the bigger man. But i can’t let a couple losers on here write something behind a computer that they’d never say to my face

The Saban/Meyer talk was clearly hyberbole... but wouldn’t expect you to understand that since you already think the almighty Dave is God himself in human form
The first 4 words you typed were "Fire the AD First". I'd hardly call that a logical discussion based on facts

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn Blown Out At Auburn In Dismal Performance, 89-64

“They go on a 16-0 run, and there were a bunch of 3s,” coach Kevin Olie said, “but there were unforced errors by us, turnovers, ill-advised shots. We’ve got to play for the UConn jersey, we’ve got to play with some pride and some fight. That 16-0 took the fight out of us.”

“We just didn’t have energy from the jump," said Antwoine Anderson, who went 0-for-10 from the floor. "We’ve got to be tougher and have more heart. We can’t let people punch us in the mouth like that and not respond."

"It’s hard to cover the 3-point line if we don’t stay in front of our man on one-on-one defense," Jalen Adams said, "because then they drive and kick out to open shooters. So we've got to lock in on defense."

"[Auburn] fights for every rebound, every offensive possession," Ollie said. "They can be small, but they’ve got a lot of heart. That’s what we’ve got to force ourselves to do. It’s not about the size, it’s about the toughness. We’ve got to get better in that area.They’re athletic and they're a physical team, but we can’t get pushed around the way we did.”

"When we get back [home], everybody’s just got to get a reality check," Adams said, "look themselves in the mirror and know their strengths and weaknesses. We’ve got to lock in defensively, and let our defense create our offense. Once we get stops, the floor will open up and we can play offensively. We can’t worry about our offense first."

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
More recent history then any basketball program in the country.

Doesn't matter to anyone, much less coaching candidates.

The program willing to pay top 10 salary.

I outlined very clearly and irrefutably in my post why that will not be the case any longer.

in a conference that’s improving each year.

Arizona State is ranked #3 overall. TCU and Texas Tech are ranked. Coaches are making moves like Marquette --> Virginia Tech and VCU --> LSU. The P5 cartel is slowly becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. Any improvement the AAC can have is incremental and in no way makes it attractive for coaches looking to move up the ladder. I'm sure that explains why nearly every coach in this conference is someone who got fired from a higher-tier job and dropped down a level or two.

You can keep believing what you wanna believe. Nobody else believes you.

If a bunch of delusional fools don't believe me, that's no skin off of my back. I'm living in reality, you're living in a pollyanna fantasy land.

Reaction Score
Furthermore, Corey Edsall is probably the best recruiter on the staff. He was the point man on the kid who led the team in rushing as a true FR.
Wasn't even aware of this, or followed their recruiting that closely, but anyone who's been on Twitter can see how important to recruiting Corey has been. I'd even venture a guess that he has a lot to do with RE getting more involved on Twitter

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Despite the play it’s still a top tier team coming to Hartford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom