“It’s all over” - A compilation of a few really dumb posts | Page 18 | The Boneyard

“It’s all over” - A compilation of a few really dumb posts

If these were your only 5 options...

• Hurley

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • Crean

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • McGrath

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Sanchez

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Skerry

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Who were the good players that left in droves after last year? The players that transferred were average to below average at best. The biggest problem with this team, besides that they can't shoot, and they can't play defense, is that they have really poor basketball IQ. However, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Some of the freshmen show glimpses of potential. They just need a couple of years to get stronger and get used to playing at the D1 level. We won't be a top AAC team but there is hope that we can become a decent middle of the pack AAC team. The players need to keep grinding. KO shouldn't need to coach effort, that is all on the player.
I think the fact is some people see “a couple more years to get to the middle of the AAC” as proof the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train and not daylight. To each their own of course.

Reaction Score
I think the fact is some people see “a couple more years to get to the middle of the AAC” as proof the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train and not daylight. To each their own of course.

Rome was not built in a day and rebuilding UConn Men's basketball (and Football) will take several years of hard work. There are no quick fixes, no magic potions. Only hard work and finding the right kids who want to come to UConn. Face it, 4 and 5 star kids will most likely want to play in the P5 conferences and not the mid-majors. KO and company need to try and find diamonds in the rough. However, they need to be the right lumps of coal that can be turned into diamonds. Guys who have good bball IQ and who want to play team ball. We don't need guys who are just good athletes but can't play the game. We have enough of those guys already. We need guys who can defend, shoot, pass, and hustle. We don't need over-hyped 4 and 5 star AAU players. Get the 2 and 3 star guys that want to play college basketball, are not overly concerned with getting to the NBA, and will be at UConn for 4 years. UConn needs to build depth and that takes time, and UConn needs to be committed to that.

Reaction Score
10,000x is conservative for Toner's contributions. He hired Geno and JC and got us into the Big East.
He didn't get us into the Big East Dave Gavitt did. Uconn was always part of Gavitt's vision for the BE.
JC was in competition with Mitch Buonagaro from Fairfield. George Karl applied for the job but made no secret of the fact that he wanted an NBA job. I'm sure there were others but those are the 2 I remember. JC was an easy choice with his success at Northeastern and according to JC he didn't need to be convinced to take the UConn job. He saw the potential from the beginning.
Geno was an assistant with no head coaching experience as I recall. We found a hidden gem.

Reaction Score
In this case, Rome was already built. On that note, it took centuries to dismantle Rome. Right now, it’s like Romulus Augustus came 5 years after Hadrian. It’s weird to see play out so quickly.
All empires eventually fall. I guess it is just UConn’s time to fall. Nothing stays the same in the universe. All things gradually decline and de-grade to disorder. I believe the term is “entropy”. UConn is currently experiencing the entropy effect.

Reaction Score
“BONEYARD” - yelled numerous times at anonymous by anonymous

C

Chief00

Since were on a thread of really dumb posts ill add to it could the university pay KO ex wife to get back with him so he can coach better, all she has to do is be around him during the season she doesn't even have to live with him, just do whatever it takes for KO to be a better coach. The way KO was talking about her during the 2014 tourney run it sounded like she was the one who broke off the marriage.

There’s cause and effect.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Well, I didn't read the whole thread but I did skim it. I must say, after having done so, I have a better idea of what it is like to be schizophrenic.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Hurley is the obvious choice...imo he has the fire and pedigree. Skerry would be my second choice because of what he's doing at Townson. Crean no thanks,not big on retreads. Don't no about the other guy either. So I guess my 3rd choice would be Glen Miller if interested or promote Chill. All and all if the job comes open I hope Hurley is offered and excepts

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Skerry. Anyone who can do this at ... Towson, of all places ... is worth a close look. A very close look.

When Skerry took over coaching the Tigers before the 2011-2012 season, the school had endured 15 straight losing seasons. In his first year, they went 1-31. But since, they've rewritten the Towson basketball record books. In his second season they went 18-13, the largest single-season turnaround in NCAA Division-I history. And over the past two years they've recorded the first back-to-back 20-win seasons in Towson's history since moving to Division I. The next step is winning Colonial championships and making appearances in the NCAA Tournament.​

15 straight losing seasons, 1-31 in his first year, then 18 wins and >20, x 2. At Towson. That's not coaching, that's a damn miracle. And if you look at this year's results, they've beat up, badly, some of the same type of mid majors we've struggled to beat.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Hurley would be a good hire, so would Konkol at La Tech. Is Pikiell a possibility? Some say no because he's already coaching in the B1G, but I'm not so sure he wouldn't come back here. My first pick would be Eric Konkol.
I don't think Pikiell's a possibility. If they get rid of KO, they're not going to hire another UConn guy – they'll go outside the family.

Legitimate possible replacements:
  • Danny Hurley
  • Eric Musselman
  • Eric Konkol
  • Pat Skerry
  • Earl Grant
  • Pat Kelsey
There's also the chance that we'd go after a bigger name (Bobby Hurley being the one I've heard most), but I think it's unlikely we peel a non-Pikiell P5 coach away.

I'd put money on Danny Hurley being the UConn coach as of April 2018. Not a lot of money, but at least some.

EDIT: FWIW I think Musselman's probably the best coach of that bunch, Konkol has the biggest upside and Hurley is the safest pick/best fit. Skerry, Kelsey & Grant are all really good coaches, too, but the jump from where they are to where I want us to be is very, very large.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Skerry , would be a good choice they're 10-1 this year... He's been a top assistant at Pitt, and Providence

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I don't think Pikiell's a possibility. If they get rid of KO, they're not going to hire another UConn guy – they'll go outside the family.

• Danny Hurley
  • Eric Musselman
  • Eric Konkol
  • Pat Skerry
  • Earl Grant
  • Pat Kelsey
There's also the chance that we'd go after a bigger name (Bobby Hurley being the one I've heard most), but I think it's unlikely we peel a non-Pikiell P5 coach away.

I'd put money on Danny Hurley being the UConn coach as of April 2018. Not a lot of money, but at least some.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Mussleman would be a good choice...Another name Chris Collins at Northwestern

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Another name Chris Collins at Northwestern
I don't think he'd come here unless we had Calipari-style money to throw at him.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

• Danny Hurley
  • Eric Musselman
  • Eric Konkol
  • Pat Skerry
  • Earl Grant
  • Pat Kelsey

EDIT: FWIW I think Musselman's probably the best coach of that bunch, Konkol has the biggest upside and Hurley is the safest pick/best fit. Skerry, Kelsey & Grant are all really good coaches, too, but the jump from where they are to where I want us to be is very, very large.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Konkol is still playing with Mike Whites recruit's?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Konkol is still playing with Mike Whites recruit's?
Yup, though they arguably looked better for Konkol than they did for White.

Still, it's a big risk. One of the reasons I like Hurley (and Pikiell) is that he's resurrected and sustained a winning program across multiple recruiting classes. We don't know that Konkol, Musselman or Grant can do that (though I suspect all three can).

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Yup, though they arguably looked better for Konkol than they did for White.

Still, it's a big risk. One of the reasons I like Hurley (and Pikiell) is that he's resurrected and sustained a winning program across multiple recruiting classes. We don't know that Konkol, Musselman or Grant can do that (though I suspect all three can).
Skerry has done a amazing turnaround at Towson

Reaction Score
This is what we have to choose from?

Yikes.

Just saw Hurleys recruiting classes. If we hire this guy, we'll have a redux of "Why can't we recruit any good players?" threads on this board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thing has assumed a life not only on this board but in the local and national press. Wonder if KO knows that if he doesn’t get results in the next 6-8 games there’s a chance he’s done for in this job? It seems obvious to many, but I wonder?

Reaction Score
Coaches study us. They are prepared.

Yes this is called coaching, it’s what coaches are supposed to do, you may have forgotten that watching Ollie these last few years. On the fence.... it’s amazing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom