UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's cute they scheduled the game for November. Could have been October. Certainly they won't need it for baseball after the end of Sept.

Reaction Score
Are there parking options for tailgating? I've always taken the train the few times I've gone to see the Yankees lose.

I've driven to the stadium a number of times, but people don't tailgate for baseball. Parking is pretty tight so they don't have a lot of room. I'm doubtful - but maybe you can ask someone that went to one of the Pinstripe games.

Reaction Score
At least for this year, the first weekend of Nov. 2013 has trains leaving Hartford at 7:08 am, 8:05 am and 8:37 am. Take those down to New Haven and get on one of the Metro Norths that pulls into the Yankee Stadium station, and you're golden.

The total trip should take about three hours from Hartford to the Bronx, which also means three more hours for people to sober up on the way home.

Even if they don't run direct trains, you can transfer at Harlem-125th for a Hudson line train that will take you right up there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've driven to the stadium a number of times, but people don't tailgate for baseball. Parking is pretty tight so they don't have a lot of room. I'm doubtful - but maybe you can ask someone that went to one of the Pinstripe games.

I know a bunch of guys that went to the Pinstripe this year. In those conditions tailgating would have been insane. They barely made it home alive and that was just the drive from New Haven. I don't normally turn down free tickets to stuff when someone is expensing everything but that game was nuts.

Reaction Score
If you did buses, probably makes sense to take them all of the way in. It is a long enough train ride from NH that it would take less time to just bus people directly to the stadium.

I'm sure Baseball Bus will offer something if the university doesn't, though it'll be more tuned for fans than students. They did a really nice job for the MD game.

Reaction Score

There are a couple of paved lots right next to the Harlem River where tailgating was allowed for the first one (Syracuse v Kstate) in 2010. A friend of mine is a Syracuse alum that was there. He didn't go to the WVU game last year, so I don't have any recent info, but I'm pretty sure those same parking lots, still exist and are approved for tailgating / football parking. But the entire area was still under quite a bit of construction / deconstruction in 2010 so may have changed.

Reaction Score
I need a Debbie stick. A big fat Louisville Slugger knockoff.

Debbie Stick ™
J
I tailgated twice at the old Stadium. Had a blast both times.

Reaction Score
There are a couple of paved lots right next to the Harlem River where tailgating was allowed for the first one (Syracuse v Kstate) in 2010. A friend of mine is a Syracuse alum that was there. He didn't go to the WVU game last year, so I don't have any recent info, but I'm pretty sure those same parking lots, still exist and are approved for tailgating / football parking. But the entire area was still under quite a bit of construction / deconstruction in 2010 so may have changed.

Much better now re: construction. And some lots may allow it. But in my experience the outside lots are so crowded that it wouldn't be worth the effort. Most of this will depend on my crew. I've given up bringing my own stuff to the Rent. I've found a crew to hang with that I can bribe with good cigars, good scotch etc. Much easier for me to plan.

Reaction Score
Also, this year Syracuse has a "home game" at Metlife vs PSU. LOL not quite gonna be a Cuse home game.

Edit: I guess it's being billed as a neutral site game, but it will still be 75% PSU fans.

(and this is also the type of game we'd kill for)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's the target we have to beat by a wide margin: 30,028

See: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313160349

Yup. And 39,507 was the announced crowd for the Fruit vs USC in 2012. That attendance received such negative press for the Fruit flies that we definitely have to get well into 40,000+.

A chance to see Syracuse try to pull off a massive upset wasn't much of a draw for Orange fans, however. The crowd was announced at 39,507, but there were plenty of empty seats in the two levels of the stadium that were used. And USC fans at the very least equaled ones for Syracuse.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Also, this year Syracuse has a "home game" at Metlife vs PSU. LOL not quite gonna be a Cuse home game.

Edit: I guess it's being billed as a neutral site game, but it will still be 75% PSU fans.

(and this is also the type of game we'd kill for)

More like 90% PSU fans I bet. The only support Syracuse gets in NYC is from billboards on taxi cabs and in Yankee Stadium.

Aside: for our game against Army, I really hope a UCONN fan will cover up that ridiculous sign with some sort of UCONN banner.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
A few questions for those who know or have a few minutes to research:
1) What's capacity at Yankee Stadium for football?
2) What's the average attendance for Michie Stadium?

We will need to bring a significant number of fans likely to sellout, probably not attainable. But can we bring enough to get to 45,000 total attendance.

Reaction Score
More like 90% PSU fans I bet. The only support Syracuse gets in NYC is from billboards on taxi cabs and in Yankee Stadium.

Aside: for our game against Army, I really hope a UCONN fan will cover up that ridiculous sign with some sort of UCONN banner.

You're brilliant.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
uconn-country1.jpg
This should do the trick

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I have been there. It was fine. I guess if you really like watching cadets shoot guns and stand in straight lines it's pretty great. I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Sorry to be such a "snot nosed New England liberal." I didn't mean to feel different things than you about our armed forces.
I've been to 10 or so UConn road games, including Army. It was fun but an overall average experience. The ride home was horrible.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Advertising? or Marketing? :)

It will be interesting to see what happens with this game. I know I'll be there, would be nice to get another 50,000 screaming UCONN fans too.

I know one thing, transportation to the stadium isn't difficult from anywhere in CT, It's about 100 miles or less anywhere east or south of Hartford, and about 120 miles from Storrs area, and it's a straight shot down I-95 from New London area.

Got to move tickets though. I wonder if there is a way to create and option to buy tickets for this game, at the same time as renewing the 2014 home game season ticket packages. Exploring that is where I'd start. "2014 Season ticket packages on sale now - add UCONN v. Army at Yankee Stadium......."

No idea if that would be possible or not, but I'd buy tickets that way, if it were.
Not only should they do that, but they should offer priority points for purchasing the tickets. I'd do the same if we end up playing a game at Gillette or Fenway. I know they love the money coming into the AD, but the value of away game attendance to our program (especially for a bowl) is worth more toward a potential P5 invite down the road then a few bucks today.

Dooley

Reaction Score
View attachment 3437 This should do the trick

That's what I was thinking. Even if it just covers up the "Syracuse" part so it reads "UCONN New York's College Team", I'll be cool with that. I wonder if Rutgers fans covered or tried to cover that sign. It is paid for afterall and I'm sure Yankee Stadium people can't cover up paid advertising. But I'd love for a UCONN sign to go over it regardless. You never know, it might go unnoticed to the untrained eye! ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not only should they do that, but they should offer priority points for purchasing the tickets. I'd do the same if we end up playing a game at Gillette or Fenway. I know they love the money coming into the AD, but the value of away game attendance to our program (especially for a bowl) is worth more toward a potential P5 invite down the road then a few bucks today.

Tis a road game. It's Army's money.

Reaction Score
Other than completely butchering the name of the Times Herald-Record, good news. And for those who live in the Middletown area who wonder why they've never heard of this paper, it's based in Middletown, NEW YORK.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Tis a road game. It's Army's money.
Who cares about the money? This is about UConn's presence in NYC for a football game. And it's only a road game in name - If UConn asks for 15,000 tickets, they'll give us an entire sideline. Not just a section or two near the end zone.

Reaction Score
Unlikely this would be the case for a typical weekend scenario, but I wouldn't be shocked if the MTA was smart enough to arrange for this for a UConn game.

You can do it on weekends for Yankees home games, and from the Hudson Line anytime, though only local trains stop there on non-gamedays. If worst comes to worst, change to the Hudson Line at Harlem-125th Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom