UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chance to have another historic game for UConn football.

Reaction Score
You ever been there?

This just sounds like an ignorant statement from someone who has never been to Michie Stadium. Or, it's a comment made by a snot nosed New England liberal.

Unless you really adore the armed forces.....who makes those kinds of comments?

I was going to make a comment here Jimmy, but I think it's better to just let it rest. This scheduling arrangement is a good thing for UCONN football, and a good thing for UCONN athletics in general, and the freedom of thought and expression, no matter how ugly or pretty it might be from varying perspectives, is what those armed forces fight for, whether or not the people that get to live with it, recognize it or not. Oh well, I guess I did comment. LOL. Can't help myself.

Reaction Score
You ever been there?

This just sounds like an ignorant statement from someone who has never been to Michie Stadium. Or, it's a comment made by a snot nosed New England liberal.

Unless you really adore the armed forces.....who makes those kinds of comments?

I have been there. It was fine. I guess if you really like watching cadets shoot guns and stand in straight lines it's pretty great. I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Sorry to be such a "snot nosed New England liberal." I didn't mean to feel different things than you about our armed forces.

Reaction Score
I have been there. It was fine. I guess if you really like watching cadets shoot guns and stand in straight lines it's pretty great. I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Sorry to be such a "snot nosed New England liberal." I didn't mean to feel different things than you about our armed forces.

You are free to feel however you like about them. As I am free to comment on your said position.

It's just my opinion.....but instead of looking down your nose at them.....might want to thank them instead.

Reaction Score
As far as a train from Hartford- you can take Amtrak to New Haven and hop on metro north from there- shouldn't be a big issue. Now the question being will Uconn make an effort to set up a deal with metro north/amtrak to get a game ticket/transportation ticket combo or even a couple buses.

At least for this year, the first weekend of Nov. 2013 has trains leaving Hartford at 7:08 am, 8:05 am and 8:37 am. Take those down to New Haven and get on one of the Metro Norths that pulls into the Yankee Stadium station, and you're golden.

The total trip should take about three hours from Hartford to the Bronx, which also means three more hours for people to sober up on the way home.

Reaction Score
They most certainly will. They have for the past few concerts at Yankee Stadium. It seems to be somewhat unknown too but you can drink openly on the metro north trains as well. Just used it a few weeks ago for a concert and it was a party train. I'd have to imagine a similar atmosphere for the Uconn game- the only issue then being where to tailgate until kickoff.

As far as a train from Hartford- you can take Amtrak to New Haven and hop on metro north from there- shouldn't be a big issue. Now the question being will Uconn make an effort to set up a deal with metro north/amtrak to get a game ticket/transportation ticket combo or even a couple buses.

You know, I don't think I like this line of thinking. It started with somebody else. I'm not sure if you're referring to students here, and I'm sorry for singling out this post for my diatribe. :)

I don't think it's the athletic department responsibility or the University administration to get students to an away game at Yankee Stadium (home games? different story - I think they're involved)

Back in the day, it was the students, and student government that organized the bus trips to Yale Bowl. The athletic department and university had nothing to do with it, except to dot the proper i's and cross t's for insurance, etc. But that was all handled through student government.

Hey - if our entitlement culture is going to change, it's got to start with the younger generations. Students, I think should be a little more resourceful and not expect handouts. It's about 60 miles to Yale Bowl. It's a 120 miles from Storrs to Yankee Stadium. How hard can it be to get a bunch of students there? Not hard if you're proactive and get working on it, instead of sitting on hands with thumbs inserted while you wait for somebody to give you a ride.

I wouldn't take a train from anywhere other than a New Haven line Metro North station. From Storrs, I'd get a bus either all the way to the stadium, or to New Haven and train it from there, and then have the buses for the ride back, although it's probably cheaper to get buses direct to the stadium rather than switch.

Reaction Score
Any game other than another Buffalo game is just fine with me. Tailgating in a train back and forth isn't a bad idea either, by the time you reach New Haven you should be under control for the ride north. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Reaction Score
I think it would behoove the University administration to check into the possibility of creating a "UCONN" gameday train schedule on Metro North New Haven line and advertise it to the Fairfield county demographic if the ticket sales and interest is there in the market. (don't think it's necessary on the Hudson or Harlem lines) but to expect the University to arrange for special packages that extend beyond that is a bit much.

For those that are interested or if anyone reading in the athletic department is completely clueless - here's a website to get started:

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/yankees/yankee_service.htm

and then there's this website on mass transit and sporting events in the city. This isn't a new concept. !!

http://web.mta.info/mta/sports/

Reaction Score
I think it would behoove the University administration to check into the possibility of creating a "UCONN" gameday train schedule on Metro North New Haven line and advertise it to the Fairfield county demographic if the ticket sales and interest is there in the market. (don't think it's necessary on the Hudson or Harlem lines) but to expect the University to arrange for special packages that extend beyond that is a bit much.

For those that are interested or if anyone reading in the athletic department is completely clueless - here's a website to get started:

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/yankees/yankee_service.htm

and then there's this website on mass transit and sporting events in the city. This isn't a new concept. !!

http://web.mta.info/mta/sports/[/quote]

All aboard the Husky Express... worked from Chicago to South Bend!!

Reaction Score
How do I know? They're not on the schedule,for next year. I don't have to know everybody open dates in the fbs/p5 conferences to see we don't have a single lined up against them next year.

Btw, that maybe the first time in our fbs history that has happened, which is no small thing.

BYU is a national program whether you care to admit it or not, Boise State is a very relevant program with a lot more clout than we have in football so adding a P5 game on top of that makes the out of conference schedule very difficult, but you would still have to have a P5 team with the same open date that Army had to make it work, so yes you would need to know who had the open dates. Otherwise it's just another HFD magic wand scenario; if you want it to happen just wave it and poof it's reality!

Reaction Score
Think the boneyard should go to Billy's Sports Bar before the game. Yankee fans tradition, we can start a UCONN boneyard one.
l.jpg

Reaction Score
Beat Michigan this year, and the NYC sports world will buzz. This is an important year for Uconn sports. New jerseys, best home schedule, basketball in Brooklyn, the time to Win is now! 3 more weeks, LETS GO!!! X-mas has come early for this NYC fan. Can't wait for Nov. 8 2014, when Uconn invades the Bronx!

Reaction Score
Unlikely this would be the case for a typical weekend scenario, but I wouldn't be shocked if the MTA was smart enough to arrange for this for a UConn game.

For what it's worth, the Yankees-E 153rd Street MTA station is an active stop at all times for the MNR's Hudson Line. A transfer from New Haven to Hudson at Harlem-125th St adds about 15-25 minutes to the commute, and a couple of bucks, but should work just fine if the MTA doesn't do direct New Haven or Harlem line trains for the game.

And of course the 4 Subway goes direct from GCT (and Harlem-125th too) to Yankee Stadium.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm aware of the transfer. My point was that, given that some yahoos want a train from Mansfield Depot to the 30 yard line, I'm thinking a 125th st transfer might be too much for some :)

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
BYU is a national program whether you care to admit it or not, Boise State is a very relevant program with a lot more clout than we have in football so adding a P5 game on top of that makes the out of conference schedule very difficult, but you would still have to have a P5 team with the same open date that Army had to make it work, so yes you would need to know who had the open dates. Otherwise it's just another HFD magic wand scenario; if you want it to happen just wave it and poof it's reality!
I had checked on open dates a couple of months ago and there were plenty of mid-level power 5 teams available. I wish I had saved my list. There were plenty in the ACC and we had recently played them so those didn't make sense. Some mid to lower level B1G teams had openings too, I believe Illinois was one of them.

Yes, adding an upper tier Power 5 team to the 2014 non-conference would be brutal (hoping BYU and Boise St remain at a high level), but are you forgetting that we're playing the likes of Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa next year? So, all I am saying is that we should still be pursuing and announcing series with P5 teams as well. Since conference realignment kicked in high gear from 2011 thru today, we have only managed to book series with BYU, Boise St. and Army. Like I said previously, you can only play BYU and Boise St. so many times -- we'll need to actually book teams from P5 conferences (if we're not in one).

Bottom line: the 2014 schedule is solid and Army at Yankee stadium is a good get - good exposure. The 2015, 2016 and 2017 schedules should also be good with the previously contracted teams from Power 5 conferences (VA an TN). Now, we need to see what kind of NEW P5 contracts we can pull. Note that recently Cinci could only get a Michigan one-time away game. The days of having pull of Michigan home and homes are likely over for us as well.

Reaction Score
You are free to feel however you like about them. As I am free to comment on your said position.

It's just my opinion.....but instead of looking down your nose at them.....might want to thank them instead.

I didn't look down my nose at anybody. I merely asked if there was perhaps something to the game day atmosphere I was missing, I can see that if you have strong, proud feelings about the armed forces, then it would probably evoke stronger feelings in you, but not sure there's any reason to insult someone for not feeling those things.

Reaction Score
From John Silver article: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-to-play-army-at-yankee-stadium/

Here are UConn’s future non-conference game.

2013: August 29, Towson; September 14, Maryland; September 21, Michigan; September 28, at Buffalo.
2014: August 28, BYU; September 6, Stony Brook; September 13, Boise State; November 8, at Army (Yankee Stadium).
2015: September 5, Villanova; September 12, Army; September 26, Tennessee; October 31, at BYU.
2016: September 3, at Tennessee; September 17, Virginia.
2017: September 16, at Virginia.
2018: September 8, at Boise State.

Reaction Score
Two openings both in 2016. You would expect them to be lower level teams since we already have Tenn. and Vir. In 2016.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
From John Silver article: http://snyuconn.com/uconn/football/uconn-to-play-army-at-yankee-stadium/

2013: August 29, Towson; September 14, Maryland; September 21, Michigan; September 28, at Buffalo.
2014: August 28, BYU; September 6, Stony Brook; September 13, Boise State; November 8, at Army (Yankee Stadium).
2015: September 5, Villanova; September 12, Army; September 26, Tennessee; October 31, at BYU.

#bumpnova

Reaction Score

No pre Labor Day Weekend games listed for 2015 and beyond. Let's offer up that prime Thursday night game to ND!

Reaction Score

Short of getting us a Big 10...IN-conference schedule, and getting Boston College back on the calendar - I think the schedules are looking pretty darn good moving forward, as good as can be expected realistically. I know everybody wants to see more big name schools, but you need to play a balanced schedule that gives you the best chance to succeed.

Villanova is another one of those regional, local opponents that have plenty of history. Stony Brook is a program that draws a lot of local high school football players, and I imagine would have a good draw to Rentschler. I had really hoped that Andy Talley would get a shot at bringing that Nova program up to the big boy level. That whole Villanova pulling the pud for a year issue on upgrading back in 2010-2011, and then showing up to the table with nothing but a post coital grin was the final nail in the Big East coffin. It will be fun to smack the crap out of them for awhile.

Reaction Score

I think for 2016 you'll see a 1AA and a MACish level team which is ok and probably what we're looking for. 2017 and 2018 we need 3 games and at least one needs to be the against a P-5 league team each year. Schedule is getting better the next few years at least out of conference. But for the most part, that is thanks to Hathaway, not the current AD. A robocall could have scheduled Boise and BYU, both of which are looking for any game they can get against legitimate competition. But it really isn't improper to point out that Big Warde has not yet managed to land a single game against one of the Power 5 leagues. He did land games with 2 of the 3 best non-power members out there, which is fine as far as it goes. And it buys him some time, but Army home-home is what it is and is more like a MAC level game than a power 5 level game.

Reaction Score
In case anyone from the AD reads this. They should have a direct train from Hartford or whatever station makes sense for campus folk to make the trip. Buses would work too.

Army isn't a bad opponent for this with their local and national following. Obv. the ND ship sailed.

Been to Michie, it's a must do. But, this game isn't about cool road trips as much as planting another UConn flag in the city. NYC is also a recruiting ground for all big 3 sports.

If you did buses, probably makes sense to take them all of the way in. It is a long enough train ride from NH that it would take less time to just bus people directly to the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom