UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love this idea. I'll be down there with my crew of 15. Hopefully tailgating but if space is an issue the bars it will be!

If anyone is planning on tailgating don't forget your Solo Cups. No drinking in public in the city. I learned the hard way(small fine).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Who cares about the money? This is about UConn's presence in NYC for a football game. And it's only a road game in name - If UConn asks for 15,000 tickets, they'll give us an entire sideline. Not just a section or two near the end zone.

Maybe it's worth UConn distributing tickets for a road game... I'm not sure why you'd assume that UConn getting directly involved would improve distribution, but I guess maybe in theory that could make sense. You might think more highly of UConn's competence in these types of skills.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If anyone is planning on tailgating don't forget your Solo Cups. No drinking in public in the city. I learned the hard way(small fine).

As did I! My friend actually had to go down to court in a separate instance for drinking a bottle outside. Solo Cups!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Maybe it's worth UConn distributing tickets for a road game... I'm not sure why you'd assume that UConn getting directly involved would improve distribution, but I guess maybe in theory that could make sense. You might think more highly of UConn's competence in these types of skills.
Ummm, UConn distributes tickets for every road game. They're always directly involved. If Army has a financial incentive to sell X number of tickets, it would also behoove them to work with UConn's AD. And I definitely question UConn's competence, but I believe in giving people chances to improve.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ummm, UConn distributes tickets for every road game. They're always directly involved. If Army has a financial incentive to sell X number of tickets, it would also behoove them to work with UConn's AD. And I definitely question UConn's competence, but I believe in giving people chances to improve.

Yes a few thousand most of which I imagine they return most games.

Maybe it's some great solution that sells thousands of extra tickets but from what I've seen UConn would probably just make it worse.

Reaction Score
UConn would probably charge so much money that it would be cheaper to get tickets from Army directly or third-party sites like StubHub. And then most people would, and the school would be well represented yet lose a ton of money. Like the Fiesta Bowl.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Carl's option to buy a ticket to this game alongside next years season ticket purchase is really, really, really smart.

Reaction Score
This is great news no matter how you slice it. We play a team with a national following in New York at Yankee Stadium. I'm looking forward to the road trip!

Reaction Score
It's a close away game. An opportunity for our fans to travel. It will be a nice win for the new coaching staff.

We need to show up for this game. A great opportunity to own the city for a weekend.

Reaction Score
Carl's option to buy a ticket to this game alongside next years season ticket purchase is really, really, really smart.

If they did that, AND offered "bonus" priority points to purchase those tix, I guarantee Uconn would sell a ton right out of the gate! It costs the University nothing to offer those points, it should be common practice for those Uconn Club members that travel w/ the team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If they did that, AND offered "bonus" priority points to purchase those tix, I guarantee Uconn would sell a ton right out of the gate! It costs the University nothing to offer those points, it should be common practice for those Uconn Club members that travel w/ the team.

Not that I care but there is a real cost in offering special points for buying that ticket. It's the cost of annoying the portion of the fanbase that financially supports basketball but disdains football. The points are much more valuable to basketball ticket holders.

Reaction Score
Not that I care but there is a real cost in offering special points for buying that ticket. It's the cost of annoying the portion of the fanbase that financially supports basketball but disdains football. The points are much more valuable to basketball ticket holders.

This is true. One reason I pay for all of the football tickets under my own name. Point accumulation gives me better bb seats.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Yeah, it would be really cool if the season ticket package next year just included the army game at yankee as part of the package. They could promise to put all us season ticket holders in one section of the stadium. As long as I am sitting with the season ticket holder section - i wouldnt care where the seats are located.

Reaction Score
well, like "obligated to play X home games" there. obviously a strong home schedule is desirable but "contract with the Rent" shouldn't hinder scheduling if a decent opportunity like ND comes up again. 3 games spread out of over 7-8 years in Foxboro/Meadowlands isn't going to kill anybody. I understand it's a state money shell game in the end but UConn should not be paying $170K a game with multiple strings attached for a facility that would not exist without its team.

3 games with Notre Dame. South Bend, Meadowlands (neutral) and Rentschler (UConn's home field).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You ever been there?

This just sounds like an ignorant statement from someone who has never been to Michie Stadium. Or, it's a comment made by a snot nosed New England liberal.

Unless you really adore the armed forces.....who makes those kinds of comments?

What does liberalism have to do with football or Michie Stadium? There are plenty of moderates and liberals who support the troops. That is a Cesspool comment.

Reaction Score
We can forget about ever scheduling Notre Dame. They are losing games against programs they've played for a long time thanks to their deal with the ACC. They aren't going to play UConn on the road. They might play us at home with no return trip...again. They aren't coming to East Hartford or even NYC for UConn.

Reaction Score
I may be a minority here, but I htink people are making far too much out of this game with Army. Army made a deal to play a game each year at Faux Yankee Stadium. When BC begged off its scheduled game, they were looking for an opponent, we had an opening, and made the game. Its Army, for heaven sakes. they have a couple of advantages for both sides. first its close. Easy on our travel and easy on their travel. From their perspective it will probably draw pretty well since its an easy trip for UConn fans, especially htose from Fairfield County. From ours it is a game we should win. But it is Army, not Alabama. there will be a few people who follow the game, but it isn't going to be that big a deal. The Big isn't going to be waiting with a ticket of admission because a game against Army in Faux Yankee Stadium is or isn't sold out, especially when it is the other guy's home game.
And ffor what its worth, you want to see evidence that this isn't your father's Army football team, look at the rest of their 2014 schedule...Buffalo, Fordham, Yale, Ball State, Kent State, Rice, Western Kentucky, Wake forest, and Stanford. And of course Navy. And they'll be lucky to be 6-6...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If BC backed out of the game vs Army, it created an opportunity for another program as much as Army needing to book another opponent. A MAC school such as UMass could have easily slid in there. How much would you have given Warde Manuel and the Athletic Department if that happened?

This is a great opportunity. A game vs. a historic program in a high exposure environment. Not only that, but there is a return trip to East Hartford for the Cadets.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is an exciting opportunity given the unique venue and close proximity. It really should feel like an extra home game.

Uconn fans need to show up and travel well. In many respects, its a pilot run for a game at Gillette or Metlife with a national top 10 program in the future.

And hopefully the Uconn ticketing department will find a way to get 1/2 the season ticket base to buy a ticket to this 'road' game next year as an add on to the season ticket package. We really need to bring 15k to this; 20k preferrably.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
BC lost to Army last year. Easy maybe the easiest travel game, Mass transit can drop you off at the door step. Winnable. NY Media. Fun. Why suck the air out of this?
Couldnt agree more on all points. This is going to be fun, particularly if the Uconn fans embrance it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I may be a minority here, but I htink people are making far too much out of this game with Army. Army made a deal to play a game each year at Faux Yankee Stadium. When BC begged off its scheduled game, they were looking for an opponent, we had an opening, and made the game. Its Army, for heaven sakes. they have a couple of advantages for both sides. first its close. Easy on our travel and easy on their travel. From their perspective it will probably draw pretty well since its an easy trip for UConn fans, especially htose from Fairfield County. From ours it is a game we should win. But it is Army, not Alabama. there will be a few people who follow the game, but it isn't going to be that big a deal. The Big isn't going to be waiting with a ticket of admission because a game against Army in Faux Yankee Stadium is or isn't sold out, especially when it is the other guy's home game.
And ffor what its worth, you want to see evidence that this isn't your father's Army football team, look at the rest of their 2014 schedule...Buffalo, Fordham, Yale, Ball State, Kent State, Rice, Western Kentucky, Wake forest, and Stanford. And of course Navy. And they'll be lucky to be 6-6...

Dude, all the boneyarder's know exactly where Army stands in the world of D1 football. People are pumped because it will be fun, especially if we bring a positive attitude.

Reaction Score
A MAC school such as UMass could have easily slid in there. How much would you have given Warde Manuel and the Athletic Department if that happened?

This is a great opportunity. A game vs. a historic program in a high exposure environment. Not only that, but there is a return trip to East Hartford for the Cadets.
I wouldn't have had any problems with Manuel if UMass got this game. But Army wasn't looking for another MAC game. they have 3 already, plus 2 1AA games. They needed a game against somebody a little better, or at least perceived as better and whatever we are we're perceived as a higher level than UMass and the MAC generally. I'm not against this game, at all. But let's not pretend we're playing the 1945 Army team with Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis. this is the equivalent of playing a MAC team and it is pretty much what we are looking for to "balance" our schedule. A road game that isn't too far away and that we should win. There is a bit of a nice touch that its in New York, but that's again more nostalgia than fact since the current Yankee Stadium is not the same place where say Army and Notre Dame battled to a 0-0 tie as the #1 and #2 teams in 1946. Again, this is a nice get, fits the profile for what we want, gives us another game in 2015 when we needed another home game and again it matches our need in teerms of the level of the opponent. Makes all kind of sense. if you guys want to get all mushy about playing the Cadets, don't let me stop you by any means.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wouldn't have had any problems with Manuel if UMass got this game. But Army wasn't looking for another MAC game. they have 3 already, plus 2 1AA games. They needed a game against somebody a little better, or at least perceived as better and whatever we are we're perceived as a higher level than UMass and the MAC generally. I'm not against this game, at all. But let's not pretend we're playing the 1945 Army team with Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis. this is the equivalent of playing a MAC team and it is pretty much what we are looking for to "balance" our schedule. A road game that isn't too far away and that we should win. There is a bit of a nice touch that its in New York, but that's again more nostalgia than fact since the current Yankee Stadium is not the same place where say Army and Notre Dame battled to a 0-0 tie as the #1 and #2 teams in 1946. Again, this is a nice get, fits the profile for what we want, gives us another game in 2015 when we needed another home game and again it matches our need in teerms of the level of the opponent. Makes all kind of sense. if you guys want to get all mushy about playing the Cadets, don't let me stop you by any means.

I dont think any P5 schools are looking to book OOC games with AAC and MWC schools until this D4 situation sorts itself out. It will be interesting to watch what transpires for other AAC and MWC OOC schedules going forward.

Plus, the ACC and B1G arent interested in scheduling us because we are headed to either one at somepoint in the next few years and they know it. Yes, I'm looking for the silver lining.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom