UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Carl, I don't know how best to communicate your idea to the AD, but it's gotta happen. Very simply : when I'm getting ready to cut my check for my tickets next year, I'd rather do it once and be done with it. Then come fall, I just attend and enjoy, the tix have long since been paid for. It's a lot easier to just go and not have to think about dipping in to the well again for another ticket expense.

I don't think that would be possible to do that, because UCONN - to my knowledge - will have absolutely no control over ticket pricing and allocation. What UCONN needs to do, is be proactive and get involved with this somehow to generate sales directly, and not through secondary market sources. Pretty much all sales direct, would go through the Army athletic ticket office, Yankee Stadium box office, and indirect - but direct through tickets allocated by either of those sources directly to the UConn athletic department.

I could be wrong about this, just giving my thoughts.

No matter what, Army will have to allocate a certain amount of tickets, directly to UCONN athletic office, that I'm sure is in the contract already. Every time we play away game, UCONN gets a small allocation of tickets. This is why I wrote that it's essential that we maintain good communication and good will with the Army athletic department and Yankee Stadium management.

What I think would need to happen, is that UCONN would collect "commitments" - hopefully well above and beyond what is already allocated in the contracts. Hopefully we would have established a ticket price by then. Then with those commitments in place, the tickets would be released to UCONN and then the transactions completed.

Getting this done, I think would be HUGE, because if we can demonstrate the ability to move tickets in the quantity that I'm discussing, directly - that shows a certain amount of revenue that is going to be hard value for future scheduling.

FWIW: When we went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2010, I truly believe, that had we had an athletic department, and university leadership structure in place, that truly knew what was happening, that we would have had no problem moving a huge chunk of tickets for that game, in our allocated ticket sales package of 17,500, and not have bought up as many seats as were bought up secondary market, and had to deal with media windstorm.

What happens with this game, and if we are able to do anything like what I'm discussing, we are able to figure out ways to move tickets, directly through the ticket offices and not on the secondary market, will go a long way to provide evidence to whether or not my belief is correct or not.

and the people in the college football world, that really matter, are going to pay attention. Because Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. haven't done it.

It all hinges on personal relationships, and connections and communication though. If we can generate huge numbers of commitments to buy tickets, and Army or Yankee Stadium is unwilling to allocate tickets directly, there's nothing we can do.......... except publicize the hell out of it. :)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is saying that this wasn't a good game to play, nor that BYU and Boise State aren't good series. Pretty much everyone agree that 2014 will be a very nice schedule at least as for as the non-conference portion goes. The issue is that at some point we need to get games against the power conferences. If you ask me, though, I like the 2015 schedule better...Tennessee, BYU and Army. If 2014 had been maybe Boise, Big 10 and Army, something like that, I think it would have been better. Not that Tennessee is better than BSU or a B10 team is better than BYU necessarily, just I'd rather play at least 1 P5 conference team each year. And now our man Warde has shown the ability to schedule 3 independents and zero P5 teams of any level, I worry that he'll get addicted and we'll be seeing New Mexico State and Idaho* in future years.

Idaho might be joining the Sunbelt in 2015 so this might take them off the table.

fanDan was saying it...then he apparently got banned (I don't think for this, but still).

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is saying that this wasn't a good game to play, nor that BYU and Boise State aren't good series. Pretty much everyone agree that 2014 will be a very nice schedule at least as for as the non-conference portion goes. The issue is that at some point we need to get games against the power conferences. If you ask me, though, I like the 2015 schedule better...Tennessee, BYU and Army. If 2014 had been maybe Boise, Big 10 and Army, something like that, I think it would have been better. Not that Tennessee is better than BSU or a B10 team is better than BYU necessarily, just I'd rather play at least 1 P5 conference team each year. And now our man Warde has shown the ability to schedule 3 independents and zero P5 teams of any level, I worry that he'll get addicted and we'll be seeing New Mexico State and Idaho* in future years.

Idaho might be joining the Sunbelt in 2015 so this might take them off the table.

I promise not to bring out the Debbie Stick ™ again, as long as you promise to make a huge bold face post saying how wrong you are, about all of this, once Manuel schedules his first future opponent that is currently in a BCS-AQ conference.

If for some reason, you're going to hold on to some kind of judgement call as to what current BCS-AQ team is worthy vs. who isn't (say Indiana vs. Ohio State), and pee on the schedule if the BCS-AQ team is good enough for you, then you're going to get a quadruple dose of the Debbie Stick ™.

Because the fact is that until now, it's been a scramble, and unbelieveable scramble to fill the schedules that Manuel inherited, and every move so far has been good, logical, realistic, balanced competitively, and successful.

Now is the time, that the immediate schedules are filled, that the future opponents, that are going to bring the strength of schedule up (BCS-AQ conferences) needs to be focused on.

I have no reason to think that is won't be the case.

Reaction Score
Can we bring recruits to an away game? I'm sure we can invite them to attend, but can we provide them with tickets? (honest question)

No - my understanding is that schools can only give a maximum of three complimentary tickets to recruits for home games only .

Reaction Score
OT in this thread: the "contract with the Rent" needs to be ripped up and flushed down the toilet. Leads to more problems than it's worth.
Wet it in the toilet and use it to gag the first State Politician that complains.

Reaction Score
Advertising? or Marketing? :)

It will be interesting to see what happens with this game. I know I'll be there, would be nice to get another 50,000 screaming UCONN fans too.

I know one thing, transportation to the stadium isn't difficult from anywhere in CT, It's about 100 miles or less anywhere east or south of Hartford, and about 120 miles from Storrs area, and it's a straight shot down I-95 from New London area.

Got to move tickets though. I wonder if there is a way to create and option to buy tickets for this game, at the same time as renewing the 2014 home game season ticket packages. Exploring that is where I'd start. "2014 Season ticket packages on sale now - add UCONN v. Army at Yankee Stadium......."

No idea if that would be possible or not, but I'd buy tickets that way, if it were.

Metro-north station within easy walking distance. No parking or DUI's.

Reaction Score
I promise not to bring out the Debbie Stick ™ again, as long as you promise to make a huge bold face post saying how wrong you are, about all of this, once Manuel schedules his first future opponent that is currently in a BCS-AQ conference.

If for some reason, you're going to hold on to some kind of judgement call as to what current BCS-AQ team is worthy vs. who isn't (say Indiana vs. Ohio State), and pee on the schedule if the BCS-AQ team is good enough for you, then you're going to get a quadruple dose of the Debbie Stick ™.

Because the fact is that until now, it's been a scramble, and unbelieveable scramble to fill the schedules that Manuel inherited, and every move so far has been good, logical, realistic, balanced competitively, and successful.

Now is the time, that the immediate schedules are filled, that the future opponents, that are going to bring the strength of schedule up (BCS-AQ conferences) needs to be focused on.

I have no reason to think that is won't be the case.
What are you talking about? He inherited a schedule with Home and home with Maryland, Michigan at home, home and home with Tennessee, and home and home with Virginia. He added boise and BYU And Army. All good gets, but none power conferences. Again, these are fine, but in the real world of college football, you can't go into the future playing Boise and BYU every year. At some point, you need to land a few major conference teams. these games bought us time.

Reaction Score
Exit 4, if that is correct it will be a huge problem for UConn going forward. On that did anyone notice that WAC and CUSA have made it plane that they intend to sue if necessary to keep their access to the BCS/Playoffs and get the others for breach of contract if they go D4 and try to freeze those leagues out. Iron Mike has made no such comments.

Suing is better than threatening to sue. What is gained from him popping off? Clearly he would join a suit. But doesn't need to come off poorly in the short run. WAC and CUSA have done the dirty work.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? He inherited a schedule with Home and home with Maryland, Michigan at home, home and home with Tennessee, and home and home with Virginia. He added boise and BYU And Army. All good gets, but none power conferences. Again, these are fine, but in the real world of college football, you can't go into the future playing Boise and BYU every year. At some point, you need to land a few major conference teams. these games bought us time.

You must be a uconn b-ball guy. Right? Whatever. We had nobody, NOBODY on the 2014 schedule out of conference when Manuel was hired in March 2012. Does the meaning of that time frame and what it entails for the sport of football in division 1 even register with you?

You are hereby until further notice banished to receive only a swift and forceful and immediate Debbie Stick ™ to each and every football related post.

Reaction Score
As wild as it may sound, one of our turning points as an athletic institution was when Walt Trojanowski scored as many points in college football as Doc Blanchard of Army with 145 points in 1945. He was drafted by the Redskins in 1946, never played in the NFL. His 22 rushing touchdowns for the season still stands as the school record. We went 7-1 that season, losing to freaking Franklin & Marshall. WW2 schedules are very obscure.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/bigeast/connecticut/1945-1949_yearly_results.php

Check this out. Look at the Big East's record. That is impressive. And also check out the ACC and Big Ten. The SEC dominates. We did better in bowls, though. Miami did win championships as a a Big East member. And WVU was on fire, too. We won only one game against WVU. In OT. Because of a fumble by the opposing RB.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/

Reaction Score
You must be a uconn b-ball guy. Right? Whatever. We had nobody, NOBODY on the 2014 schedule out of conference when Manuel was hired in March 2012. Does the meaning of that time frame and what it entails for the sport of football in division 1 even register with you?

You are hereby until further notice banished to receive only a swift and forceful and immediate Debbie Stick ™ to each and every football related post.
He only has mercy on the hockey program. I think he is an ex-player.

Reaction Score

What are you talking about? I've said right along that he did a decent job putting together a 2014 schedule.It is well balanced. I would simply like to see us get some P5 teams as well as the BYUs and Boises. Because frankly, a win over Northwestern or TCU, both of whom had 2014 open slots back in January, has more PR worth at the end of the day, I believe for both UConn and the Conference. But he had little if anything to do with this year's schedule. And nothing to do with getting Tennessee or Virginia. Army is a nice replacement for Buffalo, better known but not more competitive. And because they are Army, you can do home-home with them and nobody will complain. And don't forget that we got a bit lucky there, too. I believe that BC was originally in this slot and backed out of the final 2 years of their deal. Otherwise, who knows what we were looking at for that game. Ever been to Moscow Idaho? I hear it makes Boise look like Manhattan...

Husky25

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? I've said right along that he did a decent job putting together a 2014 schedule.It is well balanced. I would simply like to see us get some P5 teams as well as the BYUs and Boises. Because frankly, a win over Northwestern or TCU, both of whom had 2014 open slots back in January, has more PR worth at the end of the day, I believe for both UConn and the Conference. But he had little if anything to do with this year's schedule. And nothing to do with getting Tennessee or Virginia. Army is a nice replacement for Buffalo, better known but not more competitive. And because they are Army, you can do home-home with them and nobody will complain. And don't forget that we got a bit lucky there, too. I believe that BC was originally in this slot and backed out of the final 2 years of their deal. Otherwise, who knows what we were looking at for that game. Ever been to Moscow Idaho? I hear it makes Boise look like Manhattan...

A teams affiliation in a Power 5 conference does not make them a power team. BSU and BYU have more cache alone than the aforementioned Dukes, ISUs, Kentuckys etc., and the powers that be know that (at least for the immediate future). Tennessee for example has been exceedingly mediocre post-Fulmer, whereas Boise has been to 11 straight Bowl games including going 2-0 in BCS games.

Reaction Score
A teams affiliation in a Power 5 conference does not make them a power team. BSU and BYU have more cache alone than the aforementioned Dukes, ISUs, Kentuckys etc., and the powers that be know that (at least for the immediate future). Tennessee for example has been exceedingly mediocre post-Fulmer, whereas Boise has been to 11 straight Bowl games including going 2-0 in BCS games.
Who is talking about Dukes and ISUs and Kentuckys? though again, I think they would be preferable to Army, I don't dislike playing Army. But at the end of the season, there are going to be all these little charts going around, and they are going to compare the AAC vs. P5 conferences and UConn vs P5. And it will say we're 0-0. And the conference, even if everyone else plays .500, will not particularly benefit from our wins either even if we win all 3 games. It is fine, and maybe the best deal we could get, but won't benefit us as much in the world of perception as wins over BIG or SEC or other programs. We'll get more good pub for beating Tennessee, for example, despite their mediocrity, than we will from beating Army, Boise St, and BYU in the same season. The AAC will get more positive reviews from us beating Tennessee than winning those other 3 games, too. BYU and Boise may very well be better teams, but Tennessee has royal bloodlines. BYU is decidedly middle class and Boise is downright plebeian.

Reaction Score
The more the conferences expand, the harder it will be to schedule them. It's not rocket science. If they are playing 8-9 games against BCS teams, with the potential for another in a conference championship, they are going to be looking for winnable games, preferably without return trips, or in areas where they recruit heavily. UConn isn't a great fit for a lot of schools.

Nobody is arguing we don't want to schedule marquee games. It's easy to sit at a computer and call the AD a failure for not scheduling games we want to see. But it takes two parties to sign a contract, and none of us has any idea what is being said on the other end of the phone. Think the P5 ADs don't realize they have us by the balls and are demanding 2 for 1s? What do they have to lose? Nothing.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Who is talking about Dukes and ISUs and Kentuckys? though again, I think they would be preferable to Army, I don't dislike playing Army. But at the end of the season, there are going to be all these little charts going around, and they are going to compare the AAC vs. P5 conferences and UConn vs P5. And it will say we're 0-0. And the conference, even if everyone else plays .500, will not particularly benefit from our wins either even if we win all 3 games. It is fine, and maybe the best deal we could get, but won't benefit us as much in the world of perception as wins over BIG or SEC or other programs. We'll get more good pub for beating Tennessee, for example, despite their mediocrity, than we will from beating Army, Boise St, and BYU in the same season. The AAC will get more positive reviews from us beating Tennessee than winning those other 3 games, too. BYU and Boise may very well be better teams, but Tennessee has royal bloodlines. BYU is decidedly middle class and Boise is downright plebeian.

It is never just stats. There is always a narrative.

When performing due diligence, no prospective buyer looks just at numbers and charts. There is a reason why on every single set of financial statements reads a disclaimer at the bottom, "The accompanying notes are an integral part of these financial statements." It's the same in sports. Lets use 2010 as an example...

UConn went to a BCS Bowl game in 2010, beating Notre Dame along the way. No one simply says that UConn beat ND that year and lets it speak for itself. The subsequent narrative puts UConn's win in perspective for the rest of the nation and that narrative turned a good BCS win for an up & coming program into an excused loss for the established one. It allowed Notre Dame to justify their performance (but it took two overtimes...ND led 14-0 after the 1st and would have killed them if they didn't let off the gas...ND was enduring a down 6-6 season...they had a lame duck head coach...they were expecting to turning down bowl game invites even before the season was over and had 7 wins...the kids stopped playing for Weis). No one southwest of Cos Cob mentions the Gregg Lloyd goal line stand. No one mentions the two phantom holds in OT.

I don't think for a second that it wouldn't be the same if UConn were to scheduled 5 OOC games vs. schools in the Power 5. The narrative would go something similar to this:

"Wow, UConn is really coming on. They went 4-1 against the Power 5."

"But they played Wake Forest, Iowa St., Utah, Duke and Kentucky."

P.S. BSU is far from plebian in the college football world. They don't get a ton of respect for whatever reason, but they have 2 BCS wins. and are willing to play anyone, anywhere, any time.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking marquee games. We're doing fine there. I'm talking interesting games against good opponents. Sure everyone wants to play Michigan and Alabama, but Michigan State and Northwestern would be nice gets for us from the Big 10. Arkansas or Missouri or South Carolina would be great gets if we can't land Bama or LSU. I thought Iowa State was interesting and I hoped we'd get another series with them. Just like you don't want to fill your non-conference schedule with only ACC or only Independents, you don't want only mid level P5 teams either, but I have to think Arkansas or Illinois would be attractive games for us. And the long term impact would be bigger. For all the hogwash about Boise State being willing to go anywhere and play anyone, the fact is that is so much myth making. they have played at Michigan State, at Georgia and a neutral game with VaTech and home and homes with Oregon and Oregon State, and have a home-home with Washington.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Being willing and having SEC teams play you aren't the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom