UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium | The Boneyard

UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
@NHRJimFuller: Times-Record Herald reporting that #UConn and Army football teams will play game at Yankee Stadium in 2014 http://post original url/mJMrNn7dL9

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
@NHRJimFuller: Times-Record Herald reporting that #UConn and Army football teams will play game at Yankee Stadium in 2014 http://post original url/mJMrNn7dL9
Home game for Army I'm assuming right? Hey it makes for a nice easy game to get to. Thumbs up.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I agree that the opponent could be better but I think it's a great get to play at Yankee stadium and puts in the conversation as a metro NYC team.

My biggest concern: since realignment we have scheduled 0.0 power 5 conference schools. In 2014 we play Boise St, BYU and now Army but no power 5.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Home game for Army I'm assuming right? Hey it makes for a nice easy game to get to. Thumbs up.
It's likely a neutral site game (but per the article we are replacing Boston College as Army's opponent so it could also be an Army "home" game). I don't think our current contract with Rent allows a home game that's away from the Rent. We have 3 non-conference home games already (Boise St., BYU, Stony Brook), plus 4 conference home games for 2014.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My biggest concern: since realignment we have scheduled 0.0 power 5 conference schools. In 2014 we play Boise St, BYU and now Army but no power 5.

Would you rather play Boise or Washington State?

Reaction Score

I'd rather play Boise or BYU and a school from the P5 conferences. It is concerning that we are having difficulty scheduling those games. For one season, I'll look at it as aberration.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'd rather play Boise or BYU and a school from the P5 conferences. It is concerning that we are having difficulty scheduling those games. For one season, I'll look at it as aberration.

I don't. I think is is the way of the world going forward. Which is why I'm all for a game like this one. If you're stuck fishing in the murky water, at least do it in a nice boat.

Reaction Score
conflicted on this. would have big-time preferred a P5 but hopefully 2014 SOS will get proper bump from Boise & BYU

and if this lays groundwork for other Yankee Stadium games (Syracuse anyone?) it's worth it.

Reaction Score
playing army away from westpoint seems like a letdown.
half the experience of an army game is westpoint itself...

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Of course, Boise is a better team and would rather play them, but my sentiment that's also echoed by noeynox is that since realignment we are being shut out of quality power 5 opponents. We still have Tennessee and Virginia (not the best in their leagues, but still "name" schools) that were scheduled pre-realignment. I'm very curious and quite anxious to see if we are able to get home and homes with other power 5 teams (mid-level to upper-level teams).

Hey, you can only play Boise St. and BYU so many times. Eventually, we may be playing Washington State if that's the only team from a P5 that will schedule us to home and home.

Reaction Score

I'm guessing you had someone in mind that had a similar open date that said no to us, or others that refused us, otherwise how do you know we are having difficulty getting those games?

Reaction Score
OT in this thread: the "contract with the Rent" needs to be ripped up and flushed down the toilet. Leads to more problems than it's worth.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
OT in this thread: the "contract with the Rent" needs to be ripped up and flushed down the toilet. Leads to more problems than it's worth.

Like what?

Reaction Score
I was hoping we got one P5 school on the 14 schedule but does not look like it will happen now. Probably going to be increasingly difficult to do so as well. This is still a great opportunity and a chance to watch my two favorite teams go against each other. Looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
The point is playing the game in the NYC market, not whether you'd like a trip to West Point. Hardly a letdown.

a. go see a game at westpoint. take in the pre-game activites. It's tradition... college football was basically born there. there is a reason Michie stadim is mentioned as one of the top venues to see a college football game.
b. I'm fine with NYC and Uconn. I just hope between Army and Uconn, both schools can get more than 20K fans into a neutral site stadium.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't care who the opponent is. Here is another opportunity for our fanbase to step up and prove that we have NYC marketshare. EVERYONE in the northeast area who cares even just a little bit about UCONN and its CR profile should attend this game wearing their Husky blue.

Reaction Score
(I wonder which school will do a better job of advertising it)

Advertising? or Marketing? :)

It will be interesting to see what happens with this game. I know I'll be there, would be nice to get another 50,000 screaming UCONN fans too.

I know one thing, transportation to the stadium isn't difficult from anywhere in CT, It's about 100 miles or less anywhere east or south of Hartford, and about 120 miles from Storrs area, and it's a straight shot down I-95 from New London area.

Got to move tickets though. I wonder if there is a way to create and option to buy tickets for this game, at the same time as renewing the 2014 home game season ticket packages. Exploring that is where I'd start. "2014 Season ticket packages on sale now - add UCONN v. Army at Yankee Stadium......."

No idea if that would be possible or not, but I'd buy tickets that way, if it were.

Reaction Score
Like what?

well, like "obligated to play X home games" there. obviously a strong home schedule is desirable but "contract with the Rent" shouldn't hinder scheduling if a decent opportunity like ND comes up again. 3 games spread out of over 7-8 years in Foxboro/Meadowlands isn't going to kill anybody. I understand it's a state money shell game in the end but UConn should not be paying $170K a game with multiple strings attached for a facility that would not exist without its team.

Reaction Score
Hey I don't know what most of you are talking about, but I think this is awesome. Obviously I live right on the Metro North Line and will go to this in a heartbeat. Hopefully we can get a bunch of fans in the 203 to do the same. I have been waiting for UConn to be in the Pinstipe Bowl once they started it. And honestly this may be the closest we get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom