UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn to play Army at Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In case anyone from the AD reads this. They should have a direct train from Hartford or whatever station makes sense for campus folk to make the trip. Buses would work too.

Army isn't a bad opponent for this with their local and national following. Obv. the ND ship sailed.

Been to Michie, it's a must do. But, this game isn't about cool road trips as much as planting another UConn flag in the city. NYC is also a recruiting ground for all big 3 sports.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think this is a great thing for UConn Football.

I would obviously like to play more ACC or B1G teams, but I understand the difficulty in pulling that off.

Given the alternative of a one off FCS game, or another MAC away game, this is a big win for UConn and Warde.

Nice job by the AD.

Reaction Score
Army home game. They announced last year that they'll be playing a game at Yankee Stadium pretty much every year. For us its fine. Close road game we should have a great shot to win. I have no problem with that and it works well in the context of the schedule that year. I doubt we were looking to schedule Alabama on top of BYU and Boise so this is a nice game to balance things out. Preferable to playing Buffalo again! And its not Michie Stadium which is a terrific place to watch a football game. But its fine. Not sure I buy all the stuff about playing in New York, but again its fine. I share the concerns about still no major conference scheduling out of Warde, but given his level of incompetence in everything he's touched, not surprised.

Finally, Carl, the current Yankee Stadium isn't "the house that Ruth built." Its more a Disney recreation. Ruth's house was across the street.

You think I don't know this!! It's still the house that Ruth built in theory!!! Don't rain on my parade!! LOL. The East 153rd platform is pretty much right across the street from the old stadium grounds which are now a baseball field and soccer/track field park. Need to walk through those grounds to get to the new stadium. I'm not sure what your Disney connection is to the stadium design, but I can tell you, that IMNSHO, what was lost with the character of the old stadium, is made up with the character of the new one. There was nothing like walking out of the small, dark tunnels into the old stadium, but the grand hall, makes you feel like you're in the Roman Colisseum, and the open design makes it near impossible to miss anything on the field, while you're up and about.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
To this non-Yankee fan, the "real" Yankee Stadium ceased to exist in 1973. The "new" one is better than the shambled 1970's abomination.

Reaction Score
The Hudson river valley in the fall is a beautiful place, to take a trip and enjoy some incredible views of nature, and there is a vibe that you get from the military academies around football that you don't get elsewhere. Navy is a little bit different, but when you walk into the stadium at either place, you know you're in an historic and important place, to a lot of people. It's not just the banners to championships, and things like that you see in every stadium around the country, you walk in and as you walk by different monuments, and plaques, and banners, you're looking at monuments to real wars and people that have not just fought in a game, but have fought and died. It's quite humbling in a big way. Chills. That's just me though.

That aside, Yankee Stadium, well.....when it comes to sports, and media, and popularity, and games.....etc....it's yankee stadium. There is only one Yankee Stadium. Even Red Sox fans have to acknowledge that. Fenway is nice and quaint, and full of character, and a fun place to see a game, but it's not the house that Ruth built. I've been waiting a few years now, since the Steinbrenner family decided to start playing football there again, for our opportunity to play there. My hope, is that after this game next year, we're going to be looked at as a potential regular player in the Bronx.
On occasion , if UConn has an away game in October and Army is playing at home, our group wll catch a game there. It is widely regarded as one of the best settings for college football. Press box side, lower half of upper deck. Just great views and spirited football.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
This will be my first trip to Yankee Stadium since July 4, 1983. I still won't go back for baseball.

No-hitters put you off baseball?

Reaction Score
If we can somehow play a basketball game in NYC that weekend (like we are doing this year), that would really make this an amazing NYC sports weekend for UConn fans.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you had someone in mind that had a similar open date that said no to us, or others that refused us, otherwise how do you know we are having difficulty getting those games?
How do I know? They're not on the schedule,for next year. I don't have to know everybody open dates in the fbs/p5 conferences to see we don't have a single lined up against them next year.

Btw, that maybe the first time in our fbs history that has happened, which is no small thing.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
2014 is tough because of all the juggling CR has wrought. P5 teams are dropping OOC's because league schedules are expanding.

Reaction Score
when I was younger I saw Army vs Pitt when Dan Marino was playing. Can't remember much except that Pitt won pretty handidly. what i do remember is the tour of the campus, meeting the cadets, and seeing all the history and tradition. Just went back last year almost exactly 30 years later. same exact feelings walking the campus, talking with the cadets, and learning more about the history of the school and its football traditions. Was also very cool to see the parade formations in the morning where they play the visiting schools fight song along with a bunch of others.
I don't think you have to really adore the armed forces to appreciate Westpoint. Maybe an appreciation of history, tradition and a little college football.

you can look at schools like ole miss, alabama, texas, michigan, and osu etc and say they have history and tradition. they learned their traditions by following army. and to me, playing army is more valuable to the fans and the players by playing at Westpoint.

If you've been to a game at Michie Stadium and weren't impressed I think maybe you did miss something. Then again, maybe you didn't. everyone is different.

Michie Stadium embodies what college football should be all about. Since my brother is a senior Army officer and my nephew is a recent graduate of West Point, I usually go to one game per year at Michie. Last year it was against Air Force, when an Army team that by all measures should have taken a whupping somehow managed to beat the Falcons. Seeing the cadets, who had never won a Commander in Chief Trophy game during their time at West Point, storm the field brought tears to my eyes. Right then and there I decided to attend my first Army-Navy game last December and it was a tremendous experience - albeit one that ended with a crushing fumble as Army was moving down field poised to win its first CiC Trophy in about 20 years. No one can watch those games and not be caught up in kids putting their hearts on the line just for the thrill of football and playing for their academy.

Having said that, this game undoubtedly does have greater meaning for UConn in establishing itself as possessing a key piece of the metro-NYC fan base. It is crucial that the on-field and in-stands Huskies make a good showing. Army will bring their 20K. It's up to UConn to pack the place.

Reaction Score
While not a P5 school, Army is a high-profile name playing at a high profile location in a market (NYC) that will likely determine UConn’s athletic fate should there be another round of realignment.

I’m going. Caught one of the soccer matches at Yankees and it was a lot of fun.

I am a Navy fan (except for when the play UConn); but I agree that catching a football game at West Point, which I did a few years back when UCOnn played there, is an experience. Tailgating along the Hudson in the fall with the foliage, the military pomp etc. was an excellent experience. Its how college football should be.

Reaction Score
Taking a nice ride on an upstate tree lined NY parkway, through the Hudson river valley hills, and fall foliage, to a football game in the hills at MIchie, is a totally different thing than taking whatever route it is your personal choice into the Bronx and down the Major Deegan Expressway to the paved lots and concrete jungle lining the Harlem river. No doubt.

I'm looking forward, to raising up my UCONN flag and fire up the grill down there. I'm happy with this news. We've played at Michie many times before. I will be curious to see what kind of presence UCONN brings to Yankee Stadium once it rolls around on the calendar.

Reaction Score
All I need to know is what time to arrive at the train station in New Haven. Those complaining.....just find a high ledge and jump. Playing one of our Service Academies in the home venue of the New York Yankees will draw attention. This is a win, and I don't see a counter argument.

Reaction Score
If we can somehow play a basketball game in NYC that weekend (like we are doing this year), that would really make this an amazing NYC sports weekend for UConn fans.
Don't give Warde any ideas please. He'll probably try to schedule one in Yankee Stadium at the smae time as the football kickoff...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A direct train from Hartford to Yankee Stadium. Is that a shovel ready project? Maybe they can make it one of those Japanese bullet trains.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
thanks.

This is the kind of thing, that UCONN fans need to rally around. You cannot tell me that there aren't enough UCONN fans, fans of the University of Connecticut - in the NYC area to fill Yankee Stadium to capacity. If you set up a hardcourt and played UCONN basketball in the middle of yankee stadium it would sell out in a heartbeat.

Got to find a way to connect the dots and fill that stadium with UCONN Huskies, and then publish the hell out of it. Make Penn State, Michigan, Southern California, etc....look to schedule games with us in the Big Apple - because with great demand, comes great amounts of money in driving up ticket prices.

Yes a UConn basketball game would sell out Yankee Stadium. Sure it's three times bigger than MSG and UConn didn't come close to selling out for NCSU last year even with fans of three other schools... But sure.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
If we get invited to a P5 conference we will be able to get out of games after 2015. Next year hardly matters who we play since we are going to have to wait a year to get out of the AAC if we get invited to B1G. Earliest we play a game outside of current parameters will be 2016. season. Good get for next year and visible to B1G. Now if we could only be a traveling fan base...

Reaction Score
Are there parking options for tailgating? I've always taken the train the few times I've gone to see the Yankees lose.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the infatuation with West Point. Unless you really adore the armed forces, I don't really see the pull. I personally prefer the tailgating atmosphere at The Rent and look forward to watching a game at Yankee Stadium after a nice short train ride from New Haven rather than driving up to West Point. Maybe I missed something.

You ever been there?

This just sounds like an ignorant statement from someone who has never been to Michie Stadium. Or, it's a comment made by a snot nosed New England liberal.

Unless you really adore the armed forces.....who makes those kinds of comments?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A little late to this party but...
Michie is a great place to see a game. It is just a terrific experience. That said, I'd rather be playing at Yankee stadium.

Reaction Score
Unlikely this would be the case for a typical weekend scenario, but I wouldn't be shocked if the MTA was smart enough to arrange for this for a UConn game.

They most certainly will. They have for the past few concerts at Yankee Stadium. It seems to be somewhat unknown too but you can drink openly on the metro north trains as well. Just used it a few weeks ago for a concert and it was a party train. I'd have to imagine a similar atmosphere for the Uconn game- the only issue then being where to tailgate until kickoff.

As far as a train from Hartford- you can take Amtrak to New Haven and hop on metro north from there- shouldn't be a big issue. Now the question being will Uconn make an effort to set up a deal with metro north/amtrak to get a game ticket/transportation ticket combo or even a couple buses.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Michie is awesome but I can go whenever I want. No need to see UConn there again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You think I don't know this!! It's still the house that Ruth built in theory!!! Don't rain on my parade!! LOL. The East 153rd platform is pretty much right across the street from the old stadium grounds which are now a baseball field and soccer/track field park. Need to walk through those grounds to get to the new stadium. I'm not sure what your Disney connection is to the stadium design, but I can tell you, that IMNSHO, what was lost with the character of the old stadium, is made up with the character of the new one. There was nothing like walking out of the small, dark tunnels into the old stadium, but the grand hall, makes you feel like you're in the Roman Colisseum, and the open design makes it near impossible to miss anything on the field, while you're up and about.
You also feel a lot more removed from the action than old Yankee stadium. Agree regarding the view lines, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom