UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore)

Reaction Score
Dang @Palatine ... You're one tough cookie... A win is a win... a loss is a loss... regardless of personal stats... No "I" in "Team" .... That being said, a true frosh's performance vs. a SR's performance (who, because of the COVID year, is able to live potentially 2 more years of eligibility.. grown man already) says a lot too... just sayin
There is an "I" in win.

The larger point is I don't believe Fagano "getting up to BCS speed" is a real issue.

Reaction Score
Who was it that said, "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores"? Zion has got to have the inside track. He got all that development against some of the best last year. He is now the most experienced at this level. The only way he loses out I would think is physical capabilities. Because mentally he has to be a step ahead when playing at this speed. I do not care who wins. Just making an observation.
I think no one understands that Zion didn’t have his top receiver cam Ross or his second top receiver Kealion Marion. I think he also didn’t have his 3rd best receiver Matt Drayton. Give him too guys and he will roll!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He was the only healthy QB on the roster so there is that limiting factor.
Mora could've burned Zermeno's redshirt. There was a game late in the season where he was warming up on the sideline when Zion was out and Millen was doing Millen things.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He's not back and no one has suggested he is back.

Throwing in a few 7 on 7's hardly constitutes being back
I think most people are surprised he is playing at all this spring.

There was uncertainty that he would be ready for the season. If he is playing now...you have to assume he will be a full go in the summer...and will be fully contending for the starting job.

Which....is great news!

Reaction Score
If we are going the what coulda woulda shoulda been route with our past QBs it's out of Cochran and Boyle, followed closely by Nebrich for me. We clearly didn't have enough on our coaching staff in the past once we lost Morehead. That bandaid job we did always concerned me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think most people are surprised he is playing at all this spring.

There was uncertainty that he would be ready for the season. If he is playing now...you have to assume he will be a full go in the summer...and will be fully contending for the starting job.

Which....is great news!

I'd disagree with the "most people".

He's seven months past the injury. It was an ACL and for at least a decade now, if surgery went well, a player should he able to do light physical work on the repaired knee.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
As a true freshman with all starting WRs and multiple RBs hurt, Zion faired ok given those situations.

Would expect a much better year 2.
This is a large part that many want to forget or have forgotten. I'm not going to say that Zion is a world beater, but many here are WAY too negative on him. He was a true frosh who was not ready to start last year, which was fine. He got pushed into the starting role and brought us to a bowl game. For every game outside of Army and the Bowl game, he played mostly mistake free football. He helped us beat BC (which we've never done), a ranked Liberty team, and get us into a bowl. Our leading rusher went down a few games into the season as well as a few back ups. We were down to true frosh RBs, WRs, and a QB. Thankfully our D and OLine were solid but Zion did well considering the circumstances.

I don't think he is a lock to start this season but I believe he will grow and be the QB they knew they were recruiting. Give him a healthy WR corps and backfield, and I'd be excited to see what he can do.

Reaction Score
What happen to Tyler Phommachanh? I don't see him on the roster or transferring out.
From the attached article:

“Among last year’s quarterbacks, Tyler Phommachanh is not participating in football activities for the rest of the spring semester”

It would appear the QB room is all set.
Portal reopened today… it was just timing:

Reaction Score
This is a large part that many want to forget or have forgotten. I'm not going to say that Zion is a world beater, but many here are WAY too negative on him. He was a true frosh who was not ready to start last year, which was fine. He got pushed into the starting role and brought us to a bowl game. For every game outside of Army and the Bowl game, he played mostly mistake free football. He helped us beat BC (which we've never done), a ranked Liberty team, and get us into a bowl. Our leading rusher went down a few games into the season as well as a few back ups. We were down to true frosh RBs, WRs, and a QB. Thankfully our D and OLine were solid but Zion did well considering the circumstances.

I don't think he is a lock to start this season but I believe he will grow and be the QB they knew they were recruiting. Give him a healthy WR corps and backfield, and I'd be excited to see what he can do.
He played his worst games late in the season. You play more you should get better. Hardly played mostly mistake free football; fumbles, interceptions, numerous poor decisions with the ball.

He did not do well considering the circumstances.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is accurate. Zermeno coming into a game or two would not have burned his redshirt.
Yeah, rule was changed in 2018. I thought it only applied to medical redshirts, but it's anyone. They can play in up to four games.

Reaction Score
He played his worst games late in the season. You play more you should get better. Hardly played mostly mistake free football; fumbles, interceptions, numerous poor decisions with the ball.

He did not do well considering the circumstances.
Don’t be that guy. I get it, it’s easy. I was disappointed in his performance at times, but to not acknowledge the situation - no skill players with experience, no separation at line, limited playbook, and a true frosh is just douchie.

We need better play at qb position. No one disagrees. But we’ve been saying that for what, a decade?

Let’s see how he does in Y2 and let’s give him some credit for getting us to a place few imagined a year ago.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don’t be that guy. I get it, it’s easy. I was disappointed in his performance at times, but to not acknowledge the situation - no skill players with experience, no separation at line, limited playbook, and a true frosh is just douchie.

We need better play at qb position. No one disagrees. But we’ve been saying that for what, a decade?

Let’s see how he does in Y2 and let’s give him some credit for getting us to a place few imagined a year ago.
So in order to protect Turner, you throw the receivers and backs under the bus? I wouldn't want to be That Guy either. Rosa improved as the season went on, as did A. Turner, K. Clercius, and Joly.

I wrote at one point during last season that and for whatever reason, Z. Turner had not (yet) developed the confidence to throw into a tighter window than he had become accustomed to in high school. Whether that confidence shows through this year remains to be seen, but I don't think Turner's game performance last year has earned him anything leading into the Fall.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What hurts Turner the most for me is his awful performance in the bowl game. You don't want to blame one guy but we were in that game without his gifts to the Herd. It mitigates the rest of the season for me. I'm hoping we can do better this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom