UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore) | The Boneyard

UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore)

Reaction Score

End around <<

-> Turner, who became the starter as a true freshman during the first quarter of the first game in 2022 when Ta’Quan Roberson went down for the season with a torn ACL at Utah State, led the Huskies to a .500 record and a spot in the Myrtle Beach Bowl, where they lost to Marshall. There were growing pains along the way but coach Jim Mora didn’t have a lot of options to replace Turner when he struggled.

Now, as a sophomore Turner has continued to show the work ethic and growth, but as the preparations for 2023 ramp up with spring practice, Roberson is healthy again, participating in 7-on-7 drills for the first time Tuesday. Transfer Joe Fagnano, coming in from Maine with experience in offensive coordinator Nick Charlton’s scheme, is expected to compete for the job while another true freshman, Tucker McDonald, and redshirt freshman Brayden Zermeno are also in the mix.

“It’s wide open,” Mora said. “… The improvement I’ve seen out of Zion from the Marshall game to today is impressive. He just looks so much more confident. Joe, having been in this system with Nick [at Maine] has a tremendous amount of confidence and understands the nuances of the offense and that helps him. Ta’Quan is a fighter. He may have been hurt, but he’s the last one out of meetings; he’s not going to go away easy. It’s real healthy competition.” <-

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Mora has shown to be a good judge of talent so far.

I am confident an open competition between Turner, Roberson and Fagnano will produce higher level QB for 2023 than we had in 2022.

It's scary to think from the 1st quarter of game until the end of the season, Turner was the only healthy QB on the roster.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I want to see a more diverse attack on offense this upcoming season and that can push UConn to a winning season

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What happen to Tyler Phommachanh? I don't see him on the roster or transferring out.

face head GIF by Cartoon Hangover

Reaction Score
i have faith this coaching staff is going to pick the best quarterback to help us win..not like years past

Reaction Score
What happen to Tyler Phommachanh? I don't see him on the roster or transferring out.

From the attached article:

“Among last year’s quarterbacks, Tyler Phommachanh is not participating in football activities for the rest of the spring semester”

It was also mentioned a few weeks back in the Spring Ball 2023 thread:

QB Tyler Phommachanh remains a member of UConn football program but not participating in spring ball, or any program activities through rest of semester, per UConn spokesman. Absence not injury-related. Phommachanh did not play in '22 after tearing ACL as freshman starter in '21.”

It would appear the QB room is all set.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
From the attached article:

“Among last year’s quarterbacks, Tyler Phommachanh is not participating in football activities for the rest of the spring semester”

It was also mentioned a few weeks back in the Spring Ball 2023 thread:

QB Tyler Phommachanh remains a member of UConn football program but not participating in spring ball, or any program activities through rest of semester, per UConn spokesman. Absence not injury-related. Phommachanh did not play in '22 after tearing ACL as freshman starter in '21.”

It would appear the QB room is all set.

Clear as mud. A quick and dirty search reveals he is still a student, so this points to getting his academic house in order.

Did I read that Cade Millen is working with the safeties? Wow.

Reaction Score
They praised Zion all last preseason. When he got in there, it turned out to be just words. We need to see much more from him. It was disappointing that one of the worst games he played was the last game after getting a full season under his belt. Not saying that he can't improve or become the starter. Kids do get better.

But I'm taking the talk for what it is, meaningless.

Reaction Score
They praised Zion all last preseason. When he got in there, it turned out to be just words. We need to see much more from him. It was disappointing that one of the worst games he played was the last game after getting a full season under his belt. Not saying that he can't improve or become the starter. Kids do get better.

He got us to a bowl game

Reaction Score
Zion was a bit of an enigma to me. He really struggled throwing the ball yet made several excellent throws. His Ted pass against Liberty was excellent, as was his throw against Utah State. The td to Joly against BC was well thrown too.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

What were they supposed to say? He isn't ready but we have nobody else? That is just another way to torpedo an 18 year old and make sure no one else has confidence in him.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

It's a fair push. If he had finished the season strong he would be the favorite going into the spring. He didn't...so he isn't.

At this point in the year the coaches are building up the players confidence. I would guess in the summer they will be more honest about the players progress. Especially if we have a room full of healthy quarterbacks. Last year it would have been silly to be critical of Zion....he was the one of only two healthy QBs going into the season....and the only healthy QB after one quarter in the first game.

I just hope they all stay healthy....the rest will work itself out.

Reaction Score
I think the qb position is wide open… it looks like it’s going to be a strength of ours.. and Zion will be one of the qb fighting for the starting spot

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's a different room than it was last year.

There was a hype video put out toward the end of Fall camp where they gave an indication of the pecking order (Roberson, Turner/Millen, Tyler P (due to injury)).

Other than McDonald (possible redshirt) and Millen (probable position shift), this year is a little less certain.

Is Roberson healthy enough to reclaim the Chair?

What is Turner's comfort level with a year, albeit coddled, under his belt? Has the game slowed down for him? Can he average more passing yards than an option QB? Wide Receiver depth should help all of the signal callers and I'm specifically pulling for Cam Ross.

Fagnano's experience with Charlton's system can only help him, but he will need to adjust to FBS game speed. What will help him in Spring and Fall camp will be playing vs. UConn's defense, which is already there.

I know next nothing of Brayden Zermeno, other than he was a mid season transfer from Arizona. I wonder if he was thinking he would just step right in, coming from a P5 school.

I think it's prudent to let Tyler P. rejoin team activities before making a comment on him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom