UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had almost the exact same impressions (I watched the stream). I think not having breakaway receivers limits the passing game. Every time there was a deep throw, there was zero separation - which, of course, could be a good sign for the defensive backfield.

While I am still not overly impressed with ZT, I do like the fact that he is reliable and consistent - you know what you are getting with him. We know we can win with a strong running game, throwing quick short passes and playing solid defense. It may not be pretty, but it is a path to a winning season.
He will look better this year by virtue of 1) all the experience last year, 2) another year of strength and conditioning and 3) a more varied playbook, given the fact that he is not the only healthy quarterback on the roster.

Reaction Score
He will look better this year by virtue of 1) all the experience last year, 2) another year of strength and conditioning and 3) a more varied playbook, given the fact that he is not the only healthy quarterback on the roster.
I will buy 1 & 2 but not 3. He might NOT look better if the receivers as a group still have not progressed and the OL pass protection still sux. Yes, I know the opponents did not sack him much, but he wasn't in the pocket long either. And the passing was mostly short quick stuff. He didn't manage to go thru his progressions very often due to the protection and perhaps lack of poise; and, as a result missed several opportunities as well as allowed the opponents to pack the box since the deep threat was not really there.

Reaction Score
I had almost the exact same impressions (I watched the stream). I think not having breakaway receivers limits the passing game. Every time there was a deep throw, there was zero separation - which, of course, could be a good sign for the defensive backfield.

While I am still not overly impressed with ZT, I do like the fact that he is reliable and consistent - you know what you are getting with him. We know we can win with a strong running game, throwing quick short passes and playing solid defense. It may not be pretty, but it is a path to a winning season.
He’s been reliable when not asked to do much. He crumbled the last 2 games when he was pressed to step up and make plays. ZT did not develop much over the season. If we want to continue to progress we need a QB that can make reads and throw with accuracy. Maybe he will be improved. Time will tell, but typically you’ll see flashes of great play in talented QBs. I can’t think of any plays that made go “wow” that kid has something special if it can put it together.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will buy 1 & 2 but not 3. He might NOT look better if the receivers as a group still have not progressed and the OL pass protection still sux. Yes, I know the opponents did not sack him much, but he wasn't in the pocket long either. And the passing was mostly short quick stuff. He didn't manage to go thru his progressions very often due to the protection and perhaps lack of poise; and, as a result missed several opportunities as well as allowed the opponents to pack the box since the deep threat was not really there.
I think you can run him more, which fits his skill set.

Reaction Score
The OL pass protection was wayy better than we have seen in previous years is it not? Him not being in the pocket long is him not having pocket awareness which I feel like Charlton discussed that the Oline did a good job, but he needs to go through his progression quicker and move around the pocket, you forget ZT was less than a year removed out of high school and the speed for college is a lot faster. But here is some stats for you about how the o-line drastically improved with Mora and co. 2022- 7 sacks, 2021-(23 sacks), 2019- (21 sacks), 2018-(17 sacksW/Pindell). Even with a scrambling qb in 2017 we gave up 17 sacks

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree about lumping the pass protection with the receiving corps. The pass protection struggled early because Lundt was still recovering early from his knee surgery. Once he gained confidence and a few games went by, the pass protection was not a problem.

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree about lumping the pass protection with the receiving corps. The pass protection struggled early because Lundt was still recovering early from his knee surgery. Once he gained confidence and a few games went by, the pass protection was not a problem.
And it didn’t help that we played Michigan Syracuse and NC State all of whom were playing excellent football and were ranked at the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom