UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, but he has eyes. He has to know. Have you watched any of the games?
You are looking back to last year and projecting it on to this year with a different cast of characters because he is, you think, using “coach speak”. You are as in the dark as are we all.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
To catch you up....Tyler Phommachanh is in the transfer portal.
Missed it. Thanks. As I said, reading every thread every day is not a religion for me. Its also why some of the snark toward people who aren’t caught up is sort of 3rd grade stuff. BTW, with a few exceptions, which there are for sure, I don’t see the football portal as being quite as significant as the revolving hoops door. Free agency on steroids college style.

Reaction Score
You are looking back to last year and projecting it on to this year with a different cast of characters because he is, you think, using “coach speak”. You are as in the dark as are we all.
No, not at all. I am looking back at last year and assessing it at face value. I say often, probably on this thread as well, that players can and do improve. By all accounts, Zion is a great kid. He gave it give us everything he had. He made meaningful contributions. I am also saying that any competent coach or even casual observer knows, absolutely, beyond any reasonable doubt, that our QB play held our team back. It was a negative not a positive. Both the eye test and statistics clearly bear this out.

But I find your professed ignorance of "coach speak" unusual in a sports fan. Coaches are not fond of giving away information. They like to talk and say nothing at the same time. They also like to keep problems in the locker room. It's important to them to let the players know that they have their players back. So when you hear Mora say "Zion was a big part of our success we had last year" he is not really saying anything. His opinion of our QB play is reflected in his actions moreso that his words. He is holding an open competition at the position.

I suspect you know this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, not at all. I am looking back at last year and assessing it at face value. I say often, probably on this thread as well, that players can and do improve. By all accounts, Zion is a great kid. He gave it give us everything he had. He made meaningful contributions. I am also saying that any competent coach or even casual observer knows, absolutely, beyond any reasonable doubt, that our QB play held our team back. It was a negative not a positive. Both the eye test and statistics clearly bear this out.

But I find your professed ignorance of "coach speak" unusual in a sports fan. Coaches are not fond of giving away information. They like to talk and say nothing at the same time. They also like to keep problems in the locker room. It's important to them to let the players know that they have their players back. So when you hear Mora say "Zion was a big part of our success we had last year" he is not really saying anything. His opinion of our QB play is reflected in his actions moreso that his words. He is holding an open competition at the position.

I suspect you know this.
Not to argue, sort of, but i’m pretty sure you said Mora knows we have a QB problem, as in the present tense for the coming season, and based on “coach speak” regarding Zion for last year, as in the past tense. All he said for the coming year is that Zion has improved a good bit, which might or might not be “coach speak” because none of us has a clue about Zion this year and we also have no clue about the others in the competition. Unless you think competition for a position is the same as a “problem”, as i said none of us know a thing about that, and it’s a “problem” only if none of them is good enough at this level. We will see.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But he knows that the QB play was bad. He knows he has a problem.
He is confiding in you. Who knew?
Oh, please. Reminds me a favorite bit on Newhart:

"Right here is the world's smallest horse!"
"How do you know he's the world's smallest horse?"
"Just look at him!"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Quotes saying both Roberson and Turner are further along than he thought they'd be.

The optimist fan would say coaches are eternally pessimistic.

The pessimist fan would say the coach had low expectations based on previous performance.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Oh, please. Reminds me a favorite bit on Newhart:

"Right here is the world's smallest horse!"
"How do you know he's the world's smallest horse?"
"Just look at him!"
Oh please what? A guy says he knows a guy has a problem now because he had a problem last year? Don’t defame Newhart like that. Mixing coaches and horses.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Oh please what? A guy says he knows a guy has a problem now because he had a problem last year? Don’t defame Newhart like that. Mixing coaches and horses.
This is a pretty good self-own. The next show the guy who created Newhart started was called Coach.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This is a pretty good self-own. The next show the guy who created Newhart started was called Coach.
Ok, you win, you can judge a problem this year from a different set of circumstances last year. Its a horse of a different color, coach.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The concern after the deflection of our two top WRs is who will they be throwing to?!?

Reaction Score
Might’ve been answered by jimmy, above

"Our WR group has a much better understanding of what's expected of them.”

Reaction Score
Spring game came away impressed as heck with McDonald. He looked his best today.

Zion looks good with quicker decisions.

Maine QB transfer struggled but has best looking spiral deep ball

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I only watched a small portion of the stream, but it feels like we still have question marks at qb. I would think if Roberson is healthy in the fall he would be the front runner.

Zion was still Zion. I do wonder why Charlton doesn't call more plays for him over the middle. I would have to assume he doesn't think Zion would be successful there. The Freshman looked the best of the qbs. Fagnone was disappointing. At his age and experience with the offense you would think he would be further along.

One data point...and still time before the season...but it feels like Roberson should be the front runner.

Reaction Score
I also thought McDonald looked good… I really like the qbs we have… our running backs are going to be the strength of the offense … we are thin at wide receiver…the defense is going to be really good… a little thin at linebacker.. our dbs are going to be really good also our defensive line is also going to be very good… I think we are way better then last season

Reaction Score
I also thought McDonald looked good… I really like the qbs we have… our running backs are going to be the strength of the offense … we are thin at wide receiver…the defense is going to be really good… a little thin at linebacker.. our dbs are going to be really good also our defensive line is also going to be very good… I think we are way better then last season
I had almost the exact same impressions (I watched the stream). I think not having breakaway receivers limits the passing game. Every time there was a deep throw, there was zero separation - which, of course, could be a good sign for the defensive backfield.

While I am still not overly impressed with ZT, I do like the fact that he is reliable and consistent - you know what you are getting with him. We know we can win with a strong running game, throwing quick short passes and playing solid defense. It may not be pretty, but it is a path to a winning season.

Reaction Score
I had almost the exact same impressions (I watched the stream). I think not having breakaway receivers limits the passing game. Every time there was a deep throw, there was zero separation - which, of course, could be a good sign for the defensive backfield.

While I am still not overly impressed with ZT, I do like the fact that he is reliable and consistent - you know what you are getting with him. We know we can win with a strong running game, throwing quick short passes and playing solid defense. It may not be pretty, but it is a path to a winning season.
Let’s see ZT throwing to some high level receivers and judge him then

Reaction Score
UConn needs an "impressive" QB. Anything else and are 6-6 team (hopefully). Can't think of many games UConn has played over last few years where 1st question wasn't "how good is their QB?".

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s nice to have multiple guys with p5 talent duking it out and not a mediocre D2 guy and a couple walkons

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom