UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So in order to protect Turner, you throw the receivers and backs under the bus? I wouldn't want to be That Guy either. Rosa improved as the season went on, as did A. Turner, K. Clercius, and Joly.

I wrote at one point during last season that and for whatever reason, Z. Turner had not (yet) developed the confidence to throw into a tighter window than he had become accustomed to in high school. Whether that confidence shows through this year remains to be seen, but I don't think Turner's game performance last year has earned him anything leading into the Fall.

The WR's and RB's were already figuratively thrown under the bus since the top two WR's and top two RB's going in to the season were injured.

Comparing improvement by WR's and RB's further down the depth chart, even those who were true freshmen, to that of a true frosh QB, is silly and doesn't reflect well on you. Would all of us have like Zion to improve as much as others? Sure. But there's not a lot of historical data points to support that much improvement from a QB.

I'll throw this out there. The coaches did what they had to do to keep their only healthy QB healthy for the season. If Zion is playing in October 2023 like he did in November 2022 he will not be starting.

Reaction Score
What hurts Turner the most for me is his awful performance in the bowl game. You don't want to blame one guy but we were in that game without his gifts to the Herd. It mitigates the rest of the season for me. I'm hoping we can do better this year.

We gave away that game, Army and Ball State. Honestly, given the 2021 season and the injuries we incurred last season I would have never guessed we would be bowl eligible. Much of the offense was smoke and mirrors, albeit we had a pretty good OL. I don't think the coaches were going to take any chances with ZT. First, because he was a true frosh. Second, because they couldn't afford to lose him to injury.

The good news is that we appear to have more competition at the QB slot heading into next season and dear I say that we should be able to stay healthier than the walking wounded we were last season. I think the schedule is more favorable as well. Finally......finally.......there is some reason for optimism heading into a new season

Reaction Score
Don’t be that guy. I get it, it’s easy. I was disappointed in his performance at times, but to not acknowledge the situation - no skill players with experience, no separation at line, limited playbook, and a true frosh is just douchie.

We need better play at qb position. No one disagrees. But we’ve been saying that for what, a decade?

Let’s see how he does in Y2 and let’s give him some credit for getting us to a place few imagined a year ago.
Why say "he" got us to a place few imagined. UConn got there in spite of poor QB play. You say I didn't acknowledge the circumstances, I gave him plenty of dispensation when he was falling down while trying to run, missing seeing wide open receivers, overthrowing potential touchdowns, etc.
Did he perform better than Tyler did the previous year with a much more limited set of teammates and crazy bad coaching? If you say yes you are being douchie.
Zion Turner would not have started for another FBS team in 2022. It's a testament to the rest of the team that we won 6 games.
UConn was 127th in passing yardage per game, ahead of the 3 service academies and New Mexico, was 33rd in rushing yardage between Ohio State and Notre Dame. If anyone should get credit for the 6 wins it's the offensive line. How much credit does a QB get for handing off on 525 rushing plays and passing 276 times for 1,411 yards, 9 TD's and 10 interceptions.

Reaction Score
Just to bring some facts to the discussion.

Turner threw 258 passes, completed 149, a 58% completion percentage for 1,407 yards with 9 TDs and 10 INTS.
Millen 12, 6, 40% 1 TD; Roberson 2, 1, 50%, Houston 1,1, 100%

Our foes threw 396, completed 248, for 63%, 2,740 yards15 TDs and 10 INTs. Our opponents gained 211 yards a game through the air. We gained 112.

We finished he season as the #127 passing team out of 131 BCS programs. And this is with a strong running game that was 33rd in the BCS. Our QB play does not need to improve -- it needs to get a lot better.

Reaction Score
This is the right take. Our passing game wasn't nearly good enough last year. Credit to the entire team that they overcame this and went 6-6. The team was not good enough at passing. See, I won't blame just Zion for that, for a boatload of reasons, but you can't rationally not blame mostly him for the passing and then say "he" got us to .500. "He" didn't. The team did that without the help of a competent passing game.

If with a year to learn the system, grow physically and get our receiving crew healthy Turner can lead a competent passing attack next season, great. If not, every other healthy QB on the roster (which last year was no one) will be given a chance (at least in practice) to show that they can. Because you can't count on even getting back to .500 with a passing attack that far below average.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The WR's and RB's were already figuratively thrown under the bus since the top two WR's and top two RB's going in to the season were injured.

Comparing improvement by WR's and RB's further down the depth chart, even those who were true freshmen, to that of a true frosh QB, is silly and doesn't reflect well on you. Would all of us have like Zion to improve as much as others? Sure. But there's not a lot of historical data points to support that much improvement from a QB.

I'll throw this out there. The coaches did what they had to do to keep their only healthy QB healthy for the season. If Zion is playing in October 2023 like he did in November 2022 he will not be starting.

You play the hand you are dealt and regardless of weapons, who did improve, far be it from me to expected the game to slow down and for any player to get more comfortable as the year went on. The eye test indicated different.

If Turner is playing now and in August 2023 like he did in November 2022, he probably won't get the chance to play in October.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This is the right take. Our passing game wasn't nearly good enough last year. Credit to the entire team that they overcame this and went 6-6. The team was not good enough at passing. See, I won't blame just Zion for that, for a boatload of reasons, but you can't rationally not blame mostly him for the passing and then say "he" got us to .500. "He" didn't. The team did that without the help of a competent passing game.

If with a year to learn the system, grow physically and get our receiving crew healthy Turner can lead a competent passing attack next season, great. If not, every other healthy QB on the roster (which last year was no one) will be given a chance (at least in practice) to show that they can. Because you can't count on even getting back to .500 with a passing attack that far below average.
I'd be surprised if production from the QB position, whether it be Turner of someone else, doesn't improve. Regardless of what happens at QB, UConn has more glaring issues. UConn needs to reload on Defense. Particularly at linebacker, where Bembry, Bouyer-Randle, and Swenson have all moved on. They also lose Tre Wortham from the defensive backfield.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This is encouraging.
"When you look at where we were in the passing game to now, it is night and day," Charlton said. "These guys know what we are trying to get done and we can start to diversify the offense and then I can get to what I am used to in being very multiple in what we do."

Much has gone into the early improvements, starting with the rising confidence of last year's starting quarterback Zion Turner and newcomer Joe Fagnano, who currently are leading the pack in the quarterback competition.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if production from the QB position, whether it be Turner of someone else, doesn't improve. Regardless of what happens at QB, UConn has more glaring issues. UConn needs to reload on Defense. Particularly at linebacker, where Bembry, Bouyer-Randle, and Swenson have all moved on. They also lose Tre Wortham from the defensive backfield.
There is no more glaring issue than what happens at QB. That is just how football works.

Reaction Score
I'm far less concerned about defensive losses than you are. On defense we return 8 starters if you think we were primarily a 4-3-4, and 9 starters if you believe we were primarily a 4-2-5 (which by my eye we were the second half of the season). Bembry barely played the second half of the year, and Bouyer-Randle sat in our 4-2-5. Returning even 8 starters for a unit is well above average, and there is no reason to think we won't get better play at all these positions. Yes, we have to replace the starters that left, but we certainly had an eye on this if you look at the positions we filled in the portal (plus we have two corners who did start before getting hurt).

Likewise, on offense, if you don't count Carter as a starter (and while on paper he was our #1, the only win he played in was against Central -- our five real wins were all without him), all we lose is one OL and our sometimes used FB. The point being, both units should be generally stronger this year than last year just based on numbers, but the real key is getting at least average performance from the single most important position on the field, because average would be a big step up at QB from last year. That's the low hanging fruit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is encouraging.
"When you look at where we were in the passing game to now, it is night and day," Charlton said. "These guys know what we are trying to get done and we can start to diversify the offense and then I can get to what I am used to in being very multiple in what we do."

Much has gone into the early improvements, starting with the rising confidence of last year's starting quarterback Zion Turner and newcomer Joe Fagnano, who currently are leading the pack in the quarterback competition.

Unfortunately, nothing you hear from a coach is encouraging, because there is no reason to believe any of it. The encouraging thing at QB is, to quote a line from a Damn Yankees song, "we gotta get better 'cos we can't get worse."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You play the hand you are dealt and regardless of weapons, who did improve, far be it from me to expected the game to slow down and for any player to get more comfortable as the year went on. The eye test indicated different.

If Turner is playing now and in August 2023 like he did in November 2022, he probably won't get the chance to play in October.

I hope we all agree on that.

Reaction Score
We retain good lines. They’ve played together. Worried about center a little. I can’t remember when I’ve felt this good about both lines.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is encouraging.

Unfortunately, nothing you hear from a coach is encouraging, because there is no reason to believe any of it. The encouraging thing at QB is, to quote a line from a Damn Yankees song, "we gotta get better 'cos we can't get worse."

From that same linked article Charlton throws out numbers quantifying the improvement. Context to the quantification is absent, but we gotta hang our hats on something.

"They are very even," Charlton said. "Last year we were at 55% completion during training camp and spring ball, and we are at like 65% this year. Between Zion (Turner) and Joe (Fagnano), we have certainly improved in that area. Zion has gotten so much better and Joe has really improved as the spring has gone on."

A reset in receiver health has also contributed. Last season UConn's top two receivers missed most of the season. Cam Ross spent last season recovering from a preseason broken foot and Keelan Marion was injured in the opening game against Utah State on a touchdown reception.

"I think we have really taken some big steps (in the receiver room), we are not there yet of course, but Cam (Ross) is a difference maker," Charlton said. "He really is, and we have somebody coming in on May and we will continue to look. They have all taken a big jump."

Reaction Score
Turner was very clearly beaten out by Roberson last year. Roberson should be healthy by the time fall football camp opens. Turner got a season full of live game reps. The fact that is still a question mark is not promising.

Although Roberson only had a few live game reps, he did spend a year in the system. He was recruited by Penn State as a player with a strong arm who could get the ball downfield. His injury (a knee) should not have robbed him of that ability. If he is healthy, he should be significant competition for Turner.

Pagano is already neck and neck with Turner after a couple of months of live practice. He also has spent as much, or more, time in the system as both Roberson and Turner. According to Coach Charlton on February 6th of 2019, when Charlton was at Maine, "Joe is an athletic quarterback with outstanding arm strength and accuracy that has displayed great leadership on and off the field. We are excited for Joe's tremendous potential in our pro-spread offense."

Should be fun. At least, I hope it's fun

Reaction Score
Why say "he" got us to a place few imagined. UConn got there in spite of poor QB play. You say I didn't acknowledge the circumstances, I gave him plenty of dispensation when he was falling down while trying to run, missing seeing wide open receivers, overthrowing potential touchdowns, etc.
Did he perform better than Tyler did the previous year with a much more limited set of teammates and crazy bad coaching? If you say yes you are being douchie.
Zion Turner would not have started for another FBS team in 2022. It's a testament to the rest of the team that we won 6 games.
UConn was 127th in passing yardage per game, ahead of the 3 service academies and New Mexico, was 33rd in rushing yardage between Ohio State and Notre Dame. If anyone should get credit for the 6 wins it's the offensive line. How much credit does a QB get for handing off on 525 rushing plays and passing 276 times for 1,411 yards, 9 TD's and 10 interceptions.
I didn’t say that. I said give him “some credit”, not all, for what we accomplished. Sometimes folks want to be right more than they want to hear another view.

In the end, we need better play at all positions if we want to improve on last years results. Unfortunately in football, that starts and ends with the qb.

Reaction Score
Just to bring some facts to the discussion.

Turner threw 258 passes, completed 149, a 58% completion percentage for 1,407 yards with 9 TDs and 10 INTS.
Millen 12, 6, 40% 1 TD; Roberson 2, 1, 50%, Houston 1,1, 100%

Our foes threw 396, completed 248, for 63%, 2,740 yards15 TDs and 10 INTs. Our opponents gained 211 yards a game through the air. We gained 112.

We finished he season as the #127 passing team out of 131 BCS programs. And this is with a strong running game that was 33rd in the BCS. Our QB play does not need to improve -- it needs to get a lot better.
All good points. but perhaps run the same numbers and compare them to UConn peers' numbers from last year. Delete numbers from CCSU, Michigan, NC State, and Syracuse. What do those numbers look like then?

Reaction Score
Just saw Connecticut scoreboard podcast on u-tube... Jim Mora was on it.. he had a different opinion then most on this board.. he feels Zion was a big part of the success uconn had last year..and I agree him… im really excited about our qbs this year..and our team in general

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Just saw Connecticut scoreboard podcast on u-tube... Jim Mora was on it.. he had a different opinion then most on this board.. he feels Zion was a big part of the success uconn had last year..and I agree him… im really excited about our qbs this year..and our team in general
What else is he going to say about one of his quarterbacks? Zion seems to be a good kid...and he managed the game well enough for the team to win 6 games. But he was not great.

Let's hope he shows significant improvement this year.

Reaction Score
I think no one understands that Zion didn’t have his top receiver cam Ross or his second top receiver Kealion Marion. I think he also didn’t have his 3rd best receiver Matt Drayton. Give him too guys and he will roll!!
I think everyone's heard this over and over. People just have just made different assessments based on what they watched. Doesn't make them right or wrong. A QB competition may answer some of these questions.

Reaction Score

I think we'll be able to replace Bembry (11 tackles, 0.5 sacks)

Gilyard and Mitchell is gonna be a 2 headed monster in the middle. Swenson is replaced by Noah Plack who seems like a baller. Not worried there, but Swenny was the man. The secondary transfers should more than make up for Wortham. On paper the defense will be even better than last year. All we're missing is somebody like a Donovan Branch to take a step in his development and provide some pressure off the edge.

I'm also anticipating production from guys like Hardy, Tui Brown and Fogle barring any last min transfer

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wow :eek: some of us were watch a lot of basketball the last few weeks and sleeping through football news
Tapping Wake Up GIF
Not everybody reads the BY as a daily ritual.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
From the attached article:

“Among last year’s quarterbacks, Tyler Phommachanh is not participating in football activities for the rest of the spring semester”

It was also mentioned a few weeks back in the Spring Ball 2023 thread:

QB Tyler Phommachanh remains a member of UConn football program but not participating in spring ball, or any program activities through rest of semester, per UConn spokesman. Absence not injury-related. Phommachanh did not play in '22 after tearing ACL as freshman starter in '21.”

It would appear the QB room is all set.
Maybe. Obviously behind the curve, but Mora said Tyler is not participating spring semester (now), leaving open the possibility he will be available in the fall semester (football semester) since he is still part of the team.

Reaction Score

Of course he said that. That is coaches speak. He's not going to destroy his player's confidence by throwing him under the bus.

But he knows that the QB play was bad. He knows he has a problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom