UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn quarterback position unsettled as ever but there are plenty of candidates as spring session rolls on (Amore)

Reaction Score
ZT did a wonderful job stepping into a very difficult situation last season. That was certainly a challenge for a true frosh to take on.

That said, the position needs to perform better than last season and having a competitive situation in camp is a good thing. I wouldn't count ZT out.........

Reaction Score
We never get to a bowl without Zion last year
Hard to play offense with only 10 guys. Probably something like 200 qb's in college football last year that would have gotten 6 or more wins with this UConn team. UConn unfortunately only had 1. Bad luck and some prior years scholarship and portal miscues lead UConn to no choice but Zion. ZT was 106th in NCAA FBS passing efficiency and that doesn't include 2nd string (and 3rd string) guys at Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, etc.

Question, ZT shows he's the same QB as last year, think he is going to win the starting job, sure hope not. If ZT made much improvement between games 1 and 13 last year, it wasn't evident to me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
ZT did a wonderful job stepping into a very difficult situation last season. That was certainly a challenge for a true frosh to take on.

That said, the position needs to perform better than last season and having a competitive situation in camp is a good thing. I wouldn't count ZT out.........

Clayton Keller Hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

Reaction Score
Zion is 100 times better then the qbs from the previous year… we don’t make a bowl game with those qbs…I feel really good about our quarterbacks this year…all of them

Reaction Score
Zion turner is a unique talent that led to uconn going to a bowl game... said nobody

Reaction Score
Zion was less than four months removed from high school when handed the reins. His unique skill as a bright eyed frosh was that he led an O good enough to get to 6 wins including a ranked team , first ever win against BC, and beating a conf champ. Leaders get too much credit and too much blame. So he gets the credit despite his improvement opportunities and limitations last year. That’s how it works

Reaction Score
ZT wasn't supposed to play. Hr step up for the team. We played conservative ball. He didn't throw the ball on 1st down. Some 2nd down throws. Mostly just 3rd down throws. Yes, it was because coaches weren't confident in him. QBs won't have good stats being 3rd down throwers.

That said he needs to earn his spot this summer. And whoever starts we need to give them a chance by throwing on 1st down more.

Reaction Score
Fagnano's experience with Charlton's system can only help him, but he will need to adjust to FBS game speed. What will help him in Spring and Fall camp will be playing vs. UConn's defense, which is already there.
Fagano has already beaten Boston College the same number of times UConn has.

Reaction Score
What am I missing? Maine has never beaten BC.
I got a little carried away.

Fagano was 21-43 for 289 yards with two TDs and two INTs versus BCU in September.

Zion was 11-19 for 173 and one TD versus BCU in October.

Maine lost, we won. Maine scored 17 points versus BCU. We score 13. Of course, Zion was surrounded by better talent. At any rate, the difference in performance was minimal.

Reaction Score
Zion was a C level QB that kept us competitive in most games by keeping out of high risk situations . Army and Marshall showed when pressed he regressed to poor decisions, poor accuracy, and an Inability to make plays with his legs or arm. He may come back more mature and have more tools, but my gut tells me he’s a number 2 at best.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
From the attached article:

“Among last year’s quarterbacks, Tyler Phommachanh is not participating in football activities for the rest of the spring semester”

It was also mentioned a few weeks back in the Spring Ball 2023 thread:

QB Tyler Phommachanh remains a member of UConn football program but not participating in spring ball, or any program activities through rest of semester, per UConn spokesman. Absence not injury-related. Phommachanh did not play in '22 after tearing ACL as freshman starter in '21.”

It would appear the QB room is all set.

I read that and think he's focusing on academics to get through finals.

Reaction Score
Zion is 100 times better then the qbs from the previous year… we don’t make a bowl game with those qbs…I feel really good about our quarterbacks this year…all of them
I think we do with Steven.K bummer he left though

Reaction Score
Zion was a C level QB that kept us competitive in most games by keeping out of high risk situations . Army and Marshall showed when pressed he regressed to poor decisions, poor accuracy, and an Inability to make plays with his legs or arm. He may come back more mature and have more tools, but my gut tells me he’s a number 2 at best.

i agreed with everything you wrote up to gut. Kids, especially a true freshman, can make huge leaps.

Reaction Score
I think it fair to expect (and we're going to see) more production from the QB position even if the incumbent wins the job. It's all part of the process of building a winner.
Who was it that said, "The best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores"? Zion has got to have the inside track. He got all that development against some of the best last year. He is now the most experienced at this level. The only way he loses out I would think is physical capabilities. Because mentally he has to be a step ahead when playing at this speed. I do not care who wins. Just making an observation.

Reaction Score
Because mentally he has to be a step ahead when playing at this speed.
One would hope.

Competition is great. Hopefully everyone has improved and there is a clear winner of the competition.

Reaction Score
What did they do..win one game the year he started
Did you see the coaching staff we had?? Everyone that contributed to the bowl season that was on the one win season improved drastically, I believe Steven would’ve done well in Charlton system. During the spring game last year, he moved the ball well and i saw some improvement with everyone on that team.

Reaction Score
i agreed with everything you wrote up to gut. Kids, especially a true freshman, can make huge leaps.
Love to see it, particularly in short and medium range accuracy. He’s too slow and is not naturally shifty like a good dual threat QB, but we don’t really need that other than to keep LBs honest on occasions.

Reaction Score
My guess is that nothing will be settled in the spring. We'll go into fall camp with the position wide open. Mora loves competition and that would guarantee that he gets to see everyone competing like hell.

Looking forward to seeing everyone with my own eyes on the 22nd.

Reaction Score
I got a little carried away.

Fagano was 21-43 for 289 yards with two TDs and two INTs versus BCU in September.

Zion was 11-19 for 173 and one TD versus BCU in October.

Maine lost, we won. Maine scored 17 points versus BCU. We score 13. Of course, Zion was surrounded by better talent. At any rate, the difference in performance was minimal.
Dang @Palatine ... You're one tough cookie... A win is a win... a loss is a loss... regardless of personal stats... No "I" in "Team" .... That being said, a true frosh's performance vs. a SR's performance (who, because of the COVID year, is able to live potentially 2 more years of eligibility.. grown man already) says a lot too... just sayin

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom