UConn-ND at Fenway (2014) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn-ND at Fenway (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love and by love I mean fecunditying love this but Notre Dame already has 11 games scheduled for 2014 and with their move to the ACC and football stipulations of at least 5 games against ACC opponents I don't understand how this is going to work...........Excerpt below from fbschedules.com

Whatever it takes though make this work........Push it back a year or whatever just make it happen....

Notre Dame has 11 games scheduled in 2014, and two of those are against ACC teams Pittsburgh (home) and Syracuse (at East Rutherford, NJ). With only one opening on the schedule, two other games will have to be canceled or postponed in order to add three ACC games. Games that could be targeted for cancellation/postponement include Rice, at Temple, Purdue, and Northwestern.
This scenario is, of course, dependent on if Pittsburgh and Syracuse remain on the 2014 schedule.
Tentative 2014 schedule: Rice, Michigan, Purdue, Syracuse (at NJ), Stanford, at Temple, at Arizona State, ay Navy, Pittsburgh, Northwestern, at USC.

Technically there is the 2 1/2 year waiting rule.. maybe Notre Dame is fine with waiting that long if it means saving themselves not only the buy out from the Big East but also two football games.

Reaction Score
Well - Whatever happens, we're sure of one thing, and that makes me happy.

Warde is swinging for the fences with scheduling, as it should be.

From what Conner just put up in the courant, it looks like talks were going on for awhile but have quieted down since Notre Dame made the announcement to make the ACC their new parasitic host.

But oh - boy - would I love to match up with ND again, go 2-0 against them.

Fenway? That would be a treat. Plenty of UConn fans would gobble up tickets.

Reaction Score
It's a fantastic idea, especially if it's a ND home game and not one of ours that year. And I'm a Yankee fan

I agree w/ everyone else, if its an ND home game lets do this!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
See ... this is all because of Geno Auriemma's Media Day comments. (smirk0

Reaction Score
This game would actually make alot more sense at Yankee Stadium, but I would guess ND is already appearing at MetLife. Boston media has never been welcoming to our program, I don't think that's going to change by playing this game in Fenway.

Reaction Score
Bob Ryan isn't at the Globe anymore and with newspapers shriveling up and dying left and right, media will find what has legs to continue, and UConn football has legs. The Boston media would eat up a UConn - Notre Dame football game. Lots of new readers.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think this is unlikely to happen for a few reasons, but I like the attempt. For those worried about the last attempt, a one off neutral site away game is completely different than giving away multiple home games as part of a long term contract.

As for why this was leaked now, UConn AD wants some good pub for trying now.that the deal has likely collapsed. Why?

Because ND does need to add ACC games and we are as of this moment not in the ACC.

Boston is not NYC, ND plays there quite a bit and can play there anytime they want against BC and fill the place with ND fans. No need to waste a home game there.

Fenway is way too small. It makes sense Fenway would want us instead of BC. We would travel better to Boston, if you get my drift. But, why would ND play Fenway when they could just as easily fill Gillette. ND satellite campus, BC wouldn't want us there but they wouldn't to give up a future home game, either.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Don't understand the anomosity toward Krafts. Were it not for him "playing Hartford" against Massachusetts, UConn probably would have been dead in the water in its effort to go D1. The on-campus stadium concept was dead and it looked bad for the Huskies. The proposed Patriots Stadium (which would have give Uconn a suitable venue) kept the idea alive long enough for the Rentschler Field site to be made available. That bridge was IMO the much needed break to buy UConn planners the time needed to get their act together. Without it we'd be boasting on another win at Maine rather than Maryland.

or..... Not having an off sight option could of forced the issue of having an on campus stadium. I must admit I was quite envious of Maryland once I saw their set up down there, it was outstanding.

Reaction Score
It's hard to tell, but it looks like:

Fenway leaks to the Globe, reporters go to UConn, UConn chooses to have sources say "yes, talks are happening" instead of "uconn refused to comment".

Is this a way for UConn to appease its fan base, that is, "look at us, we've got all these great ideas" sort of thing?

I guess it depends who the original source was.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
2520274266_0a8b45f0de_z.jpg

The article seems written to give the impression that ND is interested, but doesn't actually say that. Sure, Notre Dame "may be" willing to shift a home game from their 80,795 capacity stadium to play at Fenway, which holds 37,000. On the other hand, that would be insane.

This would be awesome for UConn, but I think it's unlikely.

The official capacity at Fenway is 37,495 for a night baseball game, but average attendnce since 2008 is north of this number. My guess is standing room only tickets. However look at this photo (one of my favorites) from a Patriots game in the 60's (Notice the Pru under construction over the RF Bleachers). The Yawkeys used to place temp bleachers in front of the Monster. Understanding how the current owners like to squeaze every last $0.01 out of the venue, I can imagine a similar thing happening.

Like you however, I find it crazy that ND would give up a home game of 80,000 for a game at Fenway seating 45,000 tops, whilerefusing a game at 40,000 Rentchler? FYI - Alumni Stadium at BC seats only around 44,500 and they go their every other year.

Reaction Score
Would be cool to sit in the RF roof Seats for a game - or the budweiser venue in the corner!

Reaction Score
This would be an excellent thing. I have no problem with playing these type of games...really a true neutral site game. Almost doesn't matter who the home team is.

Reaction Score
This is a terrific point, which questions the reality of this rumor. If the 40k Rent is too small for ND, then a 35k Fenway is as well. It would have to be Gillette.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dont see Gillette hapening. If we go along with that option, it would basically call into question why we cancelled the original ND series all together. The reason being that they tried to force our hand in the home and home issue, thus Uconn walked! A game in Boston, although may not provide the # of seats ND is accustom to, would stick the Irish in another major market for another game. Good exposure in an Irish market??? Not sure what else the Irish would gain other than that...

Reaction Score
Ticket prices for a game like this will be very high (First football game at Fenway in years), that's how ND makes up the difference. This could also help our local recruiting.

Reaction Score
Like you however, I find it crazy that ND would give up a home game of 80,000 for a game at Fenway seating 45,000 tops, whilerefusing a game at 40,000 Rentchler? FYI - Alumni Stadium at BC seats only around 44,500 and they go their every other year.

Because it has nothing to do with stadium size. They've played at BC for years, it's a "rivalry" against a catholic school. Stadium size doesn't matter. Besides, they only get a visitors alotment. If they play a home game at Fenway they get the majority of the tickets.

They just travelled to play Navy in Ireland. What are the travel expenses for bringing an entire team and staff overseas??

ND has plenty of money. From NBC, to boosters, they can afford to move one home game a year to play games where they have a ton of fans who will buy the tickets, be thrilled with the game close to them, and keep those athletic department donations rolling in.

Reaction Score
It isn't the number of seats that matter, it is that its a game in Fenway Park. First football game there since 1968. First college game there since I don't know when, the 40s maybe. And doggie, this is very different from the original ND seires. this is a one and done deal presumably, and a true neutral site game. Not a UConn Home game.

Reaction Score
just did a little research on how the previous ND deal fell apart. Read this. Remember it was a vocal minority on this board that swayed legislators to take the steps that led to the killing of that deal. Seems to be a big majority here so far that want this game to happen. Let's make sure we drown out the other side.
And the more I think about this the more I'm enjoying the image of BC officials spitting up their breakfast this morning.

This is a good article, I dont remember seeing this one. Thanks for putting this up.

Reaction Score
I also don't believe this will happen now because of ND move to the ACC. They are required to play 5 ACC games starting in 2014. I believe there were talks prior to the ND move. I believe they are now on the back burner. Why Fenway? Because the RED Sox are trying to use Fenway park for more than baseball. Hockey, concerts, college baseball and would like to use it for FB. It's the RED /0x pushing this game. Gillette is not in the picture. Too bad. I would love to see this happen but at least for 2014, I don't see it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
gsf32.jpg

From here it looks like some left field seats are blocked by the temporary bleachers. What sucks is that if this is considered a home game for ND and not a neutral site game, then ND controls the bulk of the tickets. It'd be interesting to see what UConn's allotment would be.

Reaction Score
It isn't the number of seats that matter, it is that its a game in Fenway Park. First football game there since 1968. First college game there since I don't know when, the 40s maybe. And doggie, this is very different from the original ND seires. this is a one and done deal presumably, and a true neutral site game. Not a UConn Home game.

Yes I get that its a ND home game which makes this a no brainer for us. The question is, why ND would be willing to give up so much? Perhaps this is a market test for their future NBC contract negotiations???

Reaction Score
Love the idea, but I am skeptical about it happening, especially given ND's full schedule already. But I would pay a significant amount of money to get tickets to such an event, and ND loves the Boston/Irish connection, so there's that, at least.

Reaction Score
Yes I get that its a ND home game which makes this a no brainer for us. The question is, why ND would be willing to give up so much? Perhaps this is a market test for their future NBC contract negotiations???

ND loves to sell their "Irish" culture and how many American cities are more Irish than Boston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom