UConn-ND at Fenway (2014) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn-ND at Fenway (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They could easily reconvert the stadium from football to baseball during a short road trip for the Sox. They had a soccer game at Fenway as well as two Springsteen concerts while the Sox were on ~one week road trips. Not a hard conversion like it was with the Winter Classic setup, just throwing down temporary sod, paint some lines, put up goalposts.

I suppose the game could be played in September. I was thinking about October. I assume as the primary tenant, MLB would trump the NCAA in terms of scheduling. It would also take longer than a short road trip...It would have to be a week at minimum (as you state).

Reaction Score
Not sure If this even has any legs but we r at 100 responses already

Reaction Score
Fenwaytothe4th+004.jpg

Your right. The Powers-That-Be have a real problem sell obtructed view seats.

In all seriousness though, if you look the second photo I posted, the top portion of the temp bleachers next to center field is dog-eared. The left field side looks like it is realitively even with the slope of the wall along the foul line in the corner. If they can figure out how to position the temp bleachers with 1965 technology, surely they can figure it out in 2014.
haha touche. i mean, maybe they could put a few in, but it would also block the scoreboard and the green monster, which is part of the luster they use to attract people, and it would block HUGE advertising space on the green monster that likely would be in direct view of the TV cameras for the entire game, so there might be more money in it for Fenway to keep the monster in view, have the ads up and cash in that way. Plus, adding in bleachers on the field would mean the game would 100% have to be after the baseball season ended because of construction and inspection times, which wouldn't be the case if there weren't any bleachers.

Reaction Score
I suppose the game could be played in September. I was thinking about October. I assume as the primary tenant, MLB would trump the NCAA in terms of scheduling. It would also take longer than a short road trip...It would have to be a week at minimum (as you state).
Oh, of course MLB has first right to schedule how they want and the Sox will schedule their games as they wish, but the regular season extends into the first week of October now, so you're right, they'd have all of September to easily schedule the game. October, after the first week, MLB wouldn't let them do because of potential playoff games. And also, with the World Series extending into the first week of November, it would limit that time to the second week of November and forward.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I haven't had time to go through all 11 pages, but here are my two cents:

Make this game happen, Warde. Period. No brainer.

Reaction Score
Why is everyone going back to the 60's to find a fenway football configuration? Soccer is wider but has the same length from end to end ... not including goal posts. Because the fenway games were not FIFA sanctioned they don't need to be regulation ... and this field appears to be shorter. Hope they don't end up swapping ends on changes of possesion like Wrigley ... :)

FenwaySoccer.jpg

Reaction Score
I would wait until we have a new OC. Don't you think it's nice to give ourselves a chance first? We should take up Gus Malzahn first. We want to go 2-0, not 1-1.

Reaction Score
I think it's funny that some here think we have any leverage at the moment. If the ACC calls us and gives us an invite conditioned upon us playing ND every other year with half the games in South Bend and all our home games being at the Rent or Meadowlands, where we only get the profit we would get from the Rent and they get the rest, we would accept in a nanosecond.

I think its funny that some here continue to bring up men's (and especially women's) basketball as if it they will have an impact on scheduling ND for football.

In case some of you forgot, ND is joining the ACC for all other sports. Which means games against Duke, UNC, NC State, Maryland, sPitt, Fruit U, etc., etc.

Basketball has no leverage with ND. They don't need huge OOC matchups, and if they are willing to move a home game to a venue with 30-40,000 fewer seats, what makes anyone think revenue is an issue???

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm in, because it would be fun.

I really don't give a rat's ass about everything else.

This.

Just tell us what time the game starts and which color uniforms we should bring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Husky25

Reaction Score
haha touche. i mean, maybe they could put a few in, but it would also block the scoreboard and the green monster, which is part of the luster they use to attract people, and it would block HUGE advertising space on the green monster that likely would be in direct view of the TV cameras for the entire game, so there might be more money in it for Fenway to keep the monster in view, have the ads up and cash in that way. Plus, adding in bleachers on the field would mean the game would 100% have to be after the baseball season ended because of construction and inspection times, which wouldn't be the case if there weren't any bleachers.

I'd imagine that the game would be televised mainly from the Centerfield camera or on top of the Monster much like how the soccer game was. I agree that the Monster might be a huge draw, but I don't see how they could hang ads on it. If you cover it with ads, it merely becomes a wall and seizes to be the Green Monster. Don't forget that [American] football at Fenway is such a novelty in and of itself. Maybe the bleachers don't go all the way to the top to preserve viewing angles? Just spitballing here...All I know is that there is photographic evidence of how the Yawkeys set up Fenway for the Patriots in the 60's.

Reaction Score
I would wait until we have a new OC. Don't you think it's nice to give ourselves a chance first? We should take up Gus Malzahn first. We want to go 2-0, not 1-1.

Is this something we know need to talk about in any and every unrelated post for the next few years? I would beg you not to go TDH on us here. (And I say that as someone who doesn't think Deleone is the answer)

Reaction Score
No, no, no...........I have it on good authority from any number of posters on this board that....and I quote....."our offense cannot get any worse than it was under Edsall". Just wing it around the field. Plenty of guys can throw it and catch it. Every other college team in the country does it. Grind it out on the ground sucks, even if you win.....

Reaction Score
Well almost 11 pages and no comparison of the UConn offense to the Red Sux offense... I'm shocked!

(had to edit after seeing Butchy post...)

Reaction Score
Is this something we know need to talk about in any and every unrelated post for the next few years? I would beg you not to go TDH on us here. (And I say that as someone who doesn't think Deleone is the answer)
I was just bringing it up because Kelly knows how to gain yardage. I am not TDH, don't worry. It is what it is. I am just of the opinion get the most Ws and that's how we build upwards. This game would definitely be huge exposure in any year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why is everyone going back to the 60's to find a fenway football configuration? Soccer is wider but has the same length from end to end ... not including goal posts. Because the fenway games were not FIFA sanctioned they don't need to be regulation ... and this field appears to be shorter. Hope they don't end up swapping ends on changes of possesion like Wrigley ... :)

FenwaySoccer.jpg
You're comparing peaches to nectarines. They taste similar but are two different fruit. The standard width of a soccer pitch is about 75 yards. A regulation american football field is 53.3 yards wide. That means the American football sideline closest to left field would be run along right about the edge of the penalty area.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
based on the soccer picture, i bet they do some seats along the monster 10 to 20 rows high without blocking other views.

Reaction Score
Brian Hamilton@ChiTribHamilton
#NotreDame HC, Red Sox fan Brian Kelly on possible Fenway Park game vs. Connecticut: "I think it'd be cool. I'd like to do it."

Reaction Score
Personally, I think this may be ND getting back to BCU for voting against Uconn into the ACC, just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think this may be ND getting back to BCU for voting against Uconn into the ACC, just my opinion.
Why does ND care about BC not voting us in? They have no vested interest in us being a part of the ACC. Plus, they already play BC, so it's neither here nor there to them.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

my honest thought is this. uconn and ruty were invited just like cuse and pitt. cuse and pitt jumped as they had nothing else going on. ruty and uconn said we will think about it as they had at the time a b10 interest that was mutual. the bc ad mouths off like a jerk trying to look good in all of this as his program is falling apart trying to save his face for keeping uconn out to his fanbase. this whole time nd is working with the acc/b12/b10 on deals but knows the acc is home #1 if possible. they use the b12/b10 to get the best deal possible from the acc. when its about to happen, the bc ad knows he is . he knows that once nd goes for it and signs, bc will #1 lose a nd game every year(every other at home) and have a game every 3 years and 6 at home and #2 that uconn will be joining with ruty as they now see enough reason for the acc over b10 plus the not many slots left factor.

then JC retires. that tough guy we all love was never going to coach in another league. god bless him. u may ask, but this year he still could have coached in the big east? that doesn't make sense. he wanted KO to get a year under his belt before a conf change and earn a new contract so that when we enter a new conf, we would be the strongest we could possibly be(new pf, ko contract, no more ncaa issues, full ships...). all the pieces are falling in to nicely, but then something was done.

uconn and ruty didn't pull the trigger with nd. why not? all of a sudden we are seeing rumors about the b12 interest or how much longer can the b10 be quite now with nd gone? are uconn and ruty looking elsewhere or the acc? are they banking the acc offers and seeing what else is possible? could the b12 really pluch other acc schools?
all crazy questions that you have to factor in when moving around.

so this brings us to today and this possible nd game. how come nd would do this? i think they are doing this on the agreement that uconn will join the acc with them. nd needs uconn more than any other team. uconn gets them to nyc or boston alum. it gets them new england. it gets them the womens bball games and media, soccer, baseball etc. nd is doing this to lock up uconn to the acc. why else? becuase nd just made its choice for the future passing on the same type of deal ffrom the b10 and b12 yet uconn and ruty have interest in those 2. it would be a ugly way for nd to pass on the b12 or b10 and watch uconn/ruty go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
my honest thought is this. uconn and ruty were invited just like cuse and pitt. cuse and pitt jumped as they had nothing else going on. ruty and uconn said we will think about it as they had at the time a b10 interest that was mutual. the bc ad mouths off like a jerk trying to look good in all of this as his program is falling apart trying to save his face for keeping uconn out to his fanbase. this whole time nd is working with the acc/b12/b10 on deals but knows the acc is home #1 if possible. they use the b12/b10 to get the best deal possible from the acc. when its about to happen, the bc ad knows he is Fecundityed. he knows that once nd goes for it and signs, bc will #1 lose a nd game every year(every other at home) and have a game every 3 years and 6 at home and #2 that uconn will be joining with ruty as they now see enough reason for the acc over b10 plus the not many slots left factor.

then JC retires. that tough guy we all love was never going to coach in another league. god bless him. u may ask, but this year he still could have coached in the big east? that doesn't make sense. he wanted KO to get a year under his belt before a conf change and earn a new contract so that when we enter a new conf, we would be the strongest we could possibly be(new pf, ko contract, no more ncaa issues, full ships...). all the pieces are falling in to nicely, but then something was done.

uconn and ruty didn't pull the trigger with nd. why not? all of a sudden we are seeing rumors about the b12 interest or how much longer can the b10 be quite now with nd gone? are uconn and ruty looking elsewhere or the acc? are they banking the acc offers and seeing what else is possible? could the b12 really pluch other acc schools?
all crazy questions that you have to factor in when moving around.

so this brings us to today and this possible nd game. how come nd would do this? i think they are doing this on the agreement that uconn will join the acc with them. nd needs uconn more than any other team. uconn gets them to nyc or boston alum. it gets them new england. it gets them the womens bball games and media, soccer, baseball etc. nd is doing this to lock up uconn to the acc. why else? becuase nd just made its choice for the future passing on the same type of deal ffrom the b10 and b12 yet uconn and ruty have interest in those 2. it would be a ugly way for nd to pass on the b12 or b10 and watch uconn/ruty go elsewhere.

Can I get what you're on over the counter, or do I need someone to write me a prescription? If you look through the other eye, do you see unicorns and dinosaurs?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
nd needs uconn more than any other team.
ND needs no team other than the one that agrees to line up against them, preferrably in South Bend or at a ND-chosen neutral site. Every school in the country wants to play ND. ND just got a deal with the ACC to play every sport there - except the one that really matters. And they get to leach off ACC bowl games in the process. ND doesn't need us - for anything. The only school ND would likely ever throw a bone to is Navy.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ND needs no team other than the one that agrees to line up against them, preferrably in South Bend or at a ND-chosen neutral site. Every school in the country wants to play ND. ND just got a deal with the ACC to play every sport there - except the one that really matters. And they get to leach off ACC bowl games in the process. ND doesn't need us - for anything. The only school ND would likely ever throw a bone to is Navy.

wrong.

nd can line up fball wise vs anyone and its a big game. so they dont need anyone in fball. the only way nd basketball matters is when its on espn or some national tv station vs uconn. we are the only school that brings the goods on both mens and womens. what we bring on the court is something no one else can touch and our nd rival for years in the big east has developed to the point that we are the team that gets the nd bball program pumping media/fan wise. we are that team.

nd football can play anyone from texas to villanova and its going to be sold out and on tv.
nd bball can't do that to the same degree. no other school on the east coast brings to the tbale what uconn does. top soccer programs, top baseball, top bball, upcoming hockey joining the HE with nd. we are joined at the hip with nd. what other school has all of those things going for it like uconn does? hell i would be suprised if we add lax soon to join the acc in that to.

Reaction Score
BC and ND have a contract with home games for each. Maybe the Fenway folks reach out to BC to switch the home game there, but I doubt it. ND wants control here, as always. Would BC play a road game at Fenway on a additional contract? I think that why UConn is in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom