UConn-ND at Fenway (2014) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn-ND at Fenway (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ticket prices for a game like this will be very high (First football game at Fenway in years), that's how ND makes up the difference. This could also help our local recruiting.

I would easily pay $100/seat X 5!!!!

Reaction Score
ND loves to sell their "Irish" culture and how many American cities are more Irish than Boston?

Yes I agree. The three major Irish American cities are Boston,NY,Chicago, in no particular order. They already have games set up in NYC and Chi-town, so Boston seems to make sense to feed the ND marketing machine!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
BCSUPERFAN22 said, "I cant imagine this ever happens, but the puppies trying to force this thru during an AD transition is actually rather clever. [Dancing Pickle] will make this block his final mark before bowing out in 13 days.

Could GDF actually do something to block this? He is not affiliated with any party involved.

Reaction Score
If Uconn has a chance for the game you need to take it, the game might just be an audition for joining the ACC, courtesy of Notre Dame. The question to ask is: why would Notre Dame play Uconn after announcing for the ACC? Swarbrick never does anything out of the goodness of his heart.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
1) Notre Dame would do this, despite the decreased size of the home game, because they are Notre Dame, America's college football team, and they can. This is how they maintain that self-proclaimed distinction. They play games like this, in NYC, in Ireland and show the world their broad appeal. And because of games like this and that attitude, they inexplicably have a seat at the BCS table despite an utter lack of success over the past 25 years on the field. Its special, and that's why they do it.

2) I'm surprised no one has raised this notion yet: what about BC instead of ND? People are right to say ND would be a hard fit given the timing of everything. It seems like Fenway/Henry really want this game to happen. We're already game. What better way to renew a rivalry of the only two real New England football teams than with a spectacle at Fenway and a beatdown of "Boston's team" in Boston's mecca?

Reaction Score
Considering the way things are going for us with conference realignment, this is an absolute no-brainer. If the offer to make it happen is there - do it! We need all the big names on our schedule we can get.

Interesting that they want to do it at Fenway considering they haven't played a football game there since the '60s. Could make for a fun environment.

Reaction Score
BCU played at Fenway at least as late as 1940 but I couldn't find any info. on college FB after that.

Reaction Score
This would be an excellent thing. I have no problem with playing these type of games...really a true neutral site game. Almost doesn't matter who the home team is.

You don't think it matters if ND gets to sell all the tickets to its northeast alumni list versus putting them all on ticketmaster and see whose fanbase does a better job? You really don't think that matters?

It matters to me -- I'd like to go.

Husky25

Reaction Score
1) Notre Dame would do this, despite the decreased size of the home game, because they are Notre Dame, America's college football team, and they can. This is how they maintain that self-proclaimed distinction. They play games like this, in NYC, in Ireland and show the world their broad appeal. And because of games like this and that attitude, they inexplicably have a seat at the BCS table despite an utter lack of success over the past 25 years on the field. Its special, and that's why they do it.

2) I'm surprised no one has raised this notion yet: what about BC instead of ND? People are right to say ND would be a hard fit given the timing of everything. It seems like Fenway/Henry really want this game to happen. We're already game. What better way to renew a rivalry of the only two real New England football teams than with a spectacle at Fenway and a beatdown of "Boston's team" in Boston's mecca?

I agree with what was wrtten above. This has to do with Henry, Lucino, Werner, and the $$ Fenway can provide. But to answer your question...1) BC would not give Fenway the broad exposure that ND would. Boston is a Pro Sports town, where Sunday's are for Church and the Patriots (Some think they are the same). Everything else is done on Saturdays...at least from Labor Day through New Years. 2) BC doesn't have any more pull in Brighton let alone a national following. BC has been down ever since Coach Jags was sent packing for having the nerve of having a Dunks' coffee with Woody Johnson. So much for New England's team...

Reaction Score
You don't think it matters if ND gets to sell all the tickets to its northeast alumni list versus putting them all on ticketmaster and see whose fanbase does a better job? You really don't think that matters?

It matters to me -- I'd like to go.
Well, I'd like to go to but I don't much care if I buy my tickets thorugh the UConn ticket office, the Notre Dame ticket office, ticketmaster, stub hub or my guy Buddy who scalps them outside Fenway most days (Buddy is having not so good a year this season...he hopes the Celtics have a good year to bail him out). So no, I really don't care who the home team is for a game like this.

Reaction Score
Thinking this plus a couple of other games in South Bend (or elsewhere) could be the bone we're being thrown to keep women's hoop series going. Not saying ND will forfeit $$ for women's hoops, to do this, but way for them to keep same $$ and keep us happy

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if this is a nd home game, do it at any chance possible. if they want fenway so be it. they will get 50k there with bleechers that rise up to the tip of the monster like the pics in this thread. hopefully they give uconn 5-10k to sell.

if this is giving away a uconn home game then i want 50/50 gate and 20k/25k tix for uconn to sell. if so i make this deal also.

i think fenway may be ok as far as seat view of a fball field, i know its not the greateast puck wise.

but there are several wierd things
-razor is 80k vs a 40/50k fenway. you can charge the same $ for a nd ticket at each place.
-lets wait and here about how many freaking bball games and other sports we tossed around
-nd schedule makes this game not possible unless we were going to the acc. now this begs the question, in order to get into the acc we have to give up a nd home game and go play them in fenway. rut roh. i'm all ok with a 1 off type series stuff going to ny/boston and figuring out something good for uconn. but now were talking about a league game getting moved. just something to think about.
-double down on this warde, 2014 in fenway and then flip the script and go 2015 or 16 in yankee stadium opposite deal. so who ever got the home/gate/tix balh blah before is now switched.

Reaction Score
if this is a nd home game, do it at any chance possible. if they want fenway so be it. they will get 50k there with bleechers that rise up to the tip of the monster like the pics in this thread. hopefully they give uconn 5-10k to sell.

if this is giving away a uconn home game then i want 50/50 gate and 20k/25k tix for uconn to sell. if so i make this deal also.

i think fenway may be ok as far as seat view of a fball field, i know its not the greateast puck wise.

-razor is 80k vs a 40/50k fenway. you can charge the same $ for a nd ticket at each place.
-lets wait and here about how many freaking bball games and other sports we tossed around
-nd schedule makes this game not possible unless we were going to the acc. now this begs the question, in order to get into the acc we have to give up a nd home game and go play them in fenway. rut roh. i'm all ok with a 1 off type series stuff going to ny/boston and figuring out something good for uconn. but now were talking about a league game getting moved. just something to think about.
-double down on this warde, 2014 in fenway and then flip the script and go 2015 or 16 in yankee stadium opposite deal. so who ever got the home/gate/tix balh blah before is now switched.

I think it's funny that some here think we have any leverage at the moment. If the ACC calls us and gives us an invite conditioned upon us playing ND every other year with half the games in South Bend and all our home games being at the Rent or Meadowlands, where we only get the profit we would get from the Rent and they get the rest, we would accept in a nanosecond.

Reaction Score

They won't add bleachers to Fenway in left field, as they would massively obstruct the views of the seats down the left field foul line and the center field bleacher section, its capacity is what it is, it'd be roughly 38-39K for the game. Views for hockey were absolutely terrible for 50% of the stadium, though for football, I suspect they'd be better since there's no boards. Also, Gillette is 65K, and a severe royal pain in the ass for anyone in Boston to get to, so the UConn alumni contingent in Boston (as well as ND's) would very likely prefer Fenway over Gillette any day.

ND also has the ability to move some 2014 games as someone linked here earlier.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Let's forget about Gillette Stadium. the article's lead reads (emphasis added by me), "The Red Sox are actively seeking to bring college football back to Fenway Park, specifically a game between Notre Dame and the University of Connecticut in 2014."

The Trio minus Theo don't have a stake in Gillette and couldn't care much less if football is played there on a UMass away date. This is about filling Fenway for one more day before that winter's maintenence begins.

Given the logistics, this needs to be a mid November game at earliest. Fenway is first a foremost a baseball park and while the Sox are obviously not making the playoffs this year, don't think they won't try to make moves to get back there by '14. Just an observation...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think it's funny that some here think we have any leverage at the moment. If the ACC calls us and gives us an invite conditioned upon us playing ND every other year with half the games in South Bend and all our home games being at the Rent or Meadowlands, where we only get the profit we would get from the Rent and they get the rest, we would accept in a nanosecond.

really? so lets join a league that tells us your stadium has to be 50k to play teams. whoops all nyc/boston games 4 u uconn. weehee. play this game and hope its not part of some acc thing. if we get a invite anywhere conf wise, imediately expand to get the buzz maxed out and to show we are about it big boy fball style. now we can get good teams at the rent more. put up that 3rd tier of 10k, put the band on the field infront of the students, the gates are already set up for that stuff. or put students lower and band in there somehow. just 500 more students basically in that open spot behind the endzone. then the 2nd tier open part where the scoreboard ahs got be be closed, that stupid view. close that . thats a couple k seats. do a catwalk type thing around the top of that new 2nd tier endzone and a new scoreboard or fix up our current one and put it above that new seating. this is the begining of what warde should be looking to do.

what ever the average stadium size teams is we should be in that area.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
They won't add bleachers to Fenway in left field, as they would massively obstruct the views of the seats down the left field foul line and the center field bleacher section, its capacity is what it is, it'd be roughly 38-39K for the game. Views for hockey were absolutely terrible for 50% of the stadium, though for football, I suspect they'd be better since there's no boards. Also, Gillette is 65K, and a severe royal pain in the ass for anyone in Boston to get to, so the UConn alumni contingent in Boston (as well as ND's) would very likely prefer Fenway over Gillette any day.

good point but i can still see them doing it. maybe that stretch brings more to the table #'s wise then what it would block. or i can atleast see about a 10 row of bleechers in that spot that wouldn't block views considering the way left field raises up down the line.

Reaction Score
Let's forget about Gillette Stadium. the article's lead reads (emphasis added by me), "The Red Sox are actively seeking to bring college football back to Fenway Park, specifically a game between Notre Dame and the University of Connecticut in 2014."

The Trio minus Theo don't have a stake in Gillette and couldn't care much less if football is played there on a UMass away date. This is about filling Fenway for one more day before that winter's maintenence begins.

Given the logistics, this needs to be a mid November game at earliest. Fenway is first a foremost a baseball park and while the Sox are obviously not making the playoffs this year, don't think they won't try to make moves to get back there by '14. Just an observation...
They could easily reconvert the stadium from football to baseball during a short road trip for the Sox. They had a soccer game at Fenway as well as two Springsteen concerts while the Sox were on ~one week road trips. Not a hard conversion like it was with the Winter Classic setup, just throwing down temporary sod, paint some lines, put up goalposts.

Reaction Score
good point but i can still see them doing it. maybe that stretch brings more to the table #'s wise then what it would block. or i can atleast see about a 10 row of bleechers in that spot that wouldn't block views considering the way left field raises up down the line.
It would block more than it would add. Plus, there isn't enough room to have sidelines on both sides of the football field and leave enough room for the bleachers unless the pitch of the bleachers was so steep that you'd need an elevator to go down from one row to another, and even then you'd be blocking seats in left field and center. This was discussed when they thought of putting the Winter Classic rink sideways from the infield into right field and it ended up not being feasible with a hockey rink, much less with a football field. Don't forget those left field seats at Fenway come right up to the foul line basically right behind third base and run to the green monster from there, so there's absolutely no foul territory there to act as a buffer. They've about maxed out the capacity of Fenway with the recent additions other than maybe a few more deck seats in various places, but I don't believe they're planning to do any further seating additions. Not like they'd be able to sell those tickets for Sox games anyways as long as Clownshoes Valentine is there...

Husky25

Reaction Score

Fenwaytothe4th+004.jpg

Your right. The Powers-That-Be have a real problem sell obtructed view seats.

In all seriousness though, if you look the second photo I posted, the top portion of the temp bleachers next to center field is dog-eared. The left field side looks like it is realitively even with the slope of the wall along the foul line in the corner. If they can figure out how to position the temp bleachers with 1965 technology, surely they can figure it out in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom