UConn-ND at Fenway (2014) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn-ND at Fenway (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My sense is that:

1) this was in the works while ND was in the BE. Fenway/UConn leaked it to try to force (or encourage)ND after the ACC announcement or,

2) ND wanted a Boston game in the years that it is going to spread around it's 5 ACC games and it figured why not UConn and then probably asked for some WBB games as a sweetener or,

3) BS rumor.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Can I get what you're on over the counter, or do I need someone to write me a prescription? If you look through the other eye, do you see unicorns and dinosaurs?

what i have are blue glasses. it wouldn't hurt many here to put them on also. everyother big time fanbase has plenty of ppl who will spin everything and be 100% loyal even during wtf times. as crazy as it is, lville is stuck in the same league we are right now. but if you go to boards or blogs you will see lville posters everywhere. some crazy and some just chatting but none the less they do the fanbase well and as result many view them as a big boy team stuck in the big east. it wouldn't hurt uconn fans to step up and do the same.

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out how this was a UConn leak? Because of DiMauro? Because UConn is quoted? I'm betting this was a 4 Yawkey Way leak...

I really don't care as long as Warde pulls it off.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ND made it clear they want to play w hoops still. Seems obvious why UConn would be a match.

Reaction Score
Brian Hamilton@ChiTribHamilton
#NotreDame AD Jack Swarbrick statement: "We have work to do on our future football schedules, given the (ACC) announcement last week."

Translation - Swofford called and gave him !!!

Reaction Score
what i have are blue glasses. it wouldn't hurt many here to put them on also. everyother big time fanbase has plenty of ppl who will spin everything and be 100% loyal even during wtf times. as crazy as it is, lville is stuck in the same league we are right now. but if you go to boards or blogs you will see lville posters everywhere. some crazy and some just chatting but none the less they do the fanbase well and as result many view them as a big boy team stuck in the big east. it wouldn't hurt uconn fans to step up and do the same.

I am a firm believer at looking at the football team through rose colored glasses. Just not outside reality.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
ND is denying the rumors...per the Chicago Tribune

https://twitter.com/ChiTribHamilton

#NotreDame AD Jack Swarbrick statement: "Media reports today that we will play Connecticut in Fenway Park in 2014 are inaccurate."

Jack Swarbrick's statement is also inaccurate. The media reports say nothing about UConn and ND definitively playing. "Talking, "might," "considering", "speculation" are just some of the words I am reading; nothing that I read includes "will" or "certain"...Just saying...

Are we allowed to continue speculating?

Reaction Score
I am a firm believer at looking at the football team through rose colored glasses. Just not outside reality.

In reality, I do find it amusing when every somebody looks at some particular fan reaction (overjoyed jubilation, unnecessary pessimism, etc.) and thinks "Oh that's UConn for you."

I think most big-time fanbases are full of all kinds of fans. Happy, sad, realistic, and everything in between. As long as they show up on Game Day, I don't really care.

Reaction Score
#NotreDame AD Jack Swarbrick statement: "We have work to do on our future football schedules, given the (ACC) announcement last week."

Gene Di, working the room one last time.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Not necessarily. ND controls something with absolute power that which the ACC desparately wants. To that end, he arguably became the most powerful man in the ACC last week. I am absolutely dating myself here, but he is the Samuel L. Jackson (Danny Roman) to Swofford's Steven Lee (Farley) in The Negotiator.

If Swofford actually read him the riot act? Swarbrick would just respond, "You ever...dress up like a schoolgirl and get your @$$ spanked?"

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This was probably being discussed back burner until the ACC move, then it died. Uconn is using it as a PR tool as they should. If they play, I'll be there but, I'm not holding my breath.

I'd also agree to play BC if Fenway wants the game

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
who broke this "story"......was it DiMauro at The Day? or was it The Boston Globe? anybody know?

Reaction Score
This was probably being discussed back burner until the ACC move, then it died. Uconn is using it as a PR tool as they should. If they play, I'll be there but, I'm not holding my breath.
This

[I'd also agree to play BC if Fenway wants the game[/quote]
Not This

Reaction Score
Well that was fun while it lasted.

The dance hall was all booked, the groom dappered, unfortunately the bride never said "I do" before the invitations went out.

Incidentally, has anyone seen Mike Brey's comments today? Brey wants to schedule Big East teams, but only the catholics. No UConn.

Reaction Score
You're comparing peaches to nectarines. They taste similar but are two different fruit. The standard width of a soccer pitch is about 75 yards. A regulation american football field is 53.3 yards wide. That means the American football sideline closest to left field would be run along right about the edge of the penalty area.

Husky25 what is your point? I wasn't comparing football to soccer ... I even said that soccer was wider in my post. I was responding to the pictures that were posted from football back in the 60's. Check out the pics ... the field went from home plate to centerfield. I would assume that a more recent soccer configuration from this summer would be more indicative of a modern football layout.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Husky25 what is your point? I wasn't comparing football to soccer ... I even said that soccer was wider in my post. I was responding to the pictures that were posted from football back in the 60's. Check out the pics ... the field went from home plate to centerfield. I would assume that a more recent soccer configuration from this summer would be more indicative of a modern football layout.

I understand, I was the one who posted the pictures. I wasn't talking differences in the games. I was talking about differences in the field and possibility for additional seating. They do not have the same dimensions.

The bleachers in the 1960's photos cannot be erected for a soccer game because of the width of the traditional soccer field(According to FIFA, the width can be anywhere fom 50 yard to 100 yards. The average EPL field is 74 yards wide). A regulation American football field is over 60 feet narrower (53 yards) than a typical soccer field. The photos from the 60's depict the possibility of additional seating at Fenway over and above the listed baseball capacity (not counting SRO) of approx. 37,500. No one was arguing that the field wouldn't fit, however some were arguing that the bleachers wouldn't/couldn't be installed.

Reaction Score
who broke this "story"......was it DiMauro at The Day? or was it The Boston Globe? anybody know?
This morning, I saw it on-line for the Globe, but it was also in this morning's edition on the Courant in the Big East Notes column.

Reaction Score
15 pages - really now. Well - I suppose there's interest in scheduling Notre Dame. Me - I'd rather have a series w/ a couple of Big 10 programs in the future.

I wouldn't mind playing Notre dame again, and Fenway would be a novelty, draw.

The bottom line, as reported earlier today - is that there were discussions going on about UConn matching up with Notre Dame at Fenway. Those discussions have cooled off after Notre Dame made their change of host announcement.

WHat is all means - is something that makes me happy. Becuase scheduling is hot damn important.

It means that Warde Manuel is swinging for the fences with scheduling football games. I like that. If discussions were going on for a game with Notre Dame, I'm going to make an educated guess that discussions for other high profile games are going on too.

I don't expect any announcements on future schedules, for at laest a few weeks, if not longer, because the Big East media deal will have a major impact on it.

But I'm hoping, that once the media deal for Big East football is secured, that the future UConn football schedule will get a nice unveiling.

Reaction Score
As for the 'breaking' news - it sure is interesting, that some kind of news like this gets out to media now. It's not going to make ACC people happy, to know that Notre dame was looking at playing UConn, on Boston College's front porch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom