Tim Boyle | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle

Reaction Score
One Touchdown and 13 Interceptions

It’s hard to grasp this revisionist history when you ponder the product. Boyle obviously had massive talent. And today we are finding him in his moment. But nobody should feel like he didn’t have playing time; that he got his adequate time at QB at Storrs. Poorly coached? Undeniably. But you can’t make it far beyond those numbers.

C

Chief00

"Vision?" What nonsense is this?

We are fans of the University of Connecticut football program here. We care about who can help us win in the given moment, not who gives you the highest reading on a radar gun. Perhaps if you develop an attachment to the team and begin following them as closely as we do, rather than using this board as group therapy for your self-confidence issues, you will begin to understand this.
I would have confidence issues if I had your dismal track record of being wrong 24/7.

C

Chief00

One Touchdown and 13 Interceptions

It’s hard to grasp this revisionist history when you ponder the product. Boyle obviously had massive talent. And today we are finding him in his moment. But nobody should feel like he didn’t have playing time; that he got his adequate time at QB at Storrs. Poorly coached? Undeniably. But you can’t make it far beyond those numbers.
Then how come I and a few others saw the talent through these numbers and most didn’t? To blame a freshman and sophomore who was put in a horrible system behind a poor OL and basically after TJ left every play was telegraphed.

Reaction Score
Then how come I and a few others saw the talent through these numbers and most didn’t? To blame a freshman and sophomore who was put in a horrible system behind a poor OL and basically after TJ left every play was telegraphed.

Do I have to quote Bill Parcells on you.

You are that 1 TD 13 INT guy. Accountable. Must show leadership & capacity to rise. You can’t just blame the PP & Diaco reigns.

In my view of life ... Boyle might be far better in his Pro arc for those UCONN years. A great Aaron Rodgers to mentor. Solid System. Does not mean people here did not see the arm talent. From the first series. But it broke down ... and that’s more than I want to put 100% on the Coaches he was under.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Boyle played a great quarter and a half against USF.

Had Weist left him in they would have gone 0-12.

Huzzah!

C

Chief00

Do I have to quote Bill Parcells on you.

You are that 1 TD 13 INT guy. Accountable. Must show leadership & capacity to rise. You can’t just blame the PP & Diaco reigns.

In my view of life ... Boyle might be far better in his Pro arc for those UCONN years. A great Aaron Rodgers to mentor. Solid System. Does not mean people here did not see the arm talent. From the first series. But it broke down ... and that’s more than I want to put 100% on the Coaches he was under.
I think your point about Aaron Rogers being a great mentor sums it up - when a freshman/sophomore walks into a situation with musical chair changing coaching, a collapsing offensive line and a bizarre coaching philosophy that the defense should outscore the other team - you are destined to get bad stats. For me it’s hard to reach the conclusion it’s the young QB’s fault since he should have a QB mentor on the coaching staff. I recognize many here are locked into the position they took at the time and therefore will never be objective about the talent that was right before our eyes.

Reaction Score
P and Deleone were poison. I heard enough and saw enough to come to that conclusion. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you f up a culture you get what we got.

Boyle's failed development at UCONN was a symptom of much deeper problems.

Reaction Score
If anything his success with the Packers proves that he should have been a 4 year starter here what were we THINKING
He would have been, except he threw 50 interceptions.

Reaction Score
I’m suddenly rooting bigtime for Tim Boyle & the Packers. He’s our guy & we all should have had better UConn Football the last 7 years.

Reaction Score

He played for the same interim coach, behind the same O Line, that a redshirt frosh named Cochrane played for. And Cochrane lit it up.

He sucked when he was here. Plain and simple. Lots of folks knew he had the arm strength to succeed if and when he had the mental part down. But making excuses for his performance here is ludicrous. He wasn't any good. Good for him that he's succeeding in the NFL. So what?

Reaction Score
I don't care where he is now. When he was at UConn, he played terribly, and this is backed up by both statistics and the eye test.

You bring up his arm strength over and over again, and it's completely irrelevant. Arm strength didn't make Steve Dalkowski a great pitcher, did it?
He played on a horrendous team with a horrendous staff, the talent has clearly always been there and we're seeing it play out.

Reaction Score
He played for the same interim coach, behind the same O Line, that a redshirt frosh named Cochrane played for. And Cochrane lit it up.

He sucked when he was here. Plain and simple. Lots of folks knew he had the arm strength to succeed if and when he had the mental part down. But making excuses for his performance here is ludicrous. He wasn't any good. Good for him that he's succeeding in the NFL. So what?
So what? So coaching matters. Cochran was pretty much ready to be a D1 QB when he got to college but had little upside. Boyle wasn't ready yet but had a ton of upside that could be realized with excellent coaching. UConn football clearly hasn't ever been the place for excellent coaching.

Reaction Score
Boyle should have had two TD passes and no interceptions after his first quarter against USF. Both passes were flat out dropped. Could a different outcome on those plays have changed his trajectory at UConn? We'll never know. But anyone with a set of eyes could have seen his talent. We had guys at the helm that could have screwed up a wet dream.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So what? So coaching matters. Cochran was pretty much ready to be a D1 QB when he got to college but had little upside. Boyle wasn't ready yet but had a ton of upside that could be realized with excellent coaching. UConn football clearly hasn't ever been the place for excellent coaching.

Argue with you often but not here. Boyle had all the physical tools and could make big time throws as a freshman. But he didn't know how to handle the pressure, make quick good decisions with the ball and read defenses. That's normal. Most freshmen can't do that in the faster FBS game. Add to it our generally weak receiver talent and he didn't get a fair chance to succeed.

Casey had better intangibles and a better feel for how to play the position, with less natural talent and upside. I know we see a lot of true freshman playing well as big time QBs lately, like Trevor Lawrence, but historically it's not normal even for 5 star kids.

Glad Boyle is succeeding. Wish it had been different for him here. It was a big thing when he committed to UConn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Boyle played in his 5th game as a True Freshman.

He stunk to holy hell after the first 20 minutes.

Cochran outplayed him by miles.

He left.

As bad as everyone attached to the program is - they lost every game he played by a billion - then he got outplayed. Other than talking him into staying what the hell was anyone supposed to do?

Reaction Score

He left.

As bad as everyone attached to the program is - they lost every game he played by a billion - then he got outplayed. Other than talking him into staying what the hell was anyone supposed to do?
It's just symptomatic of the whole wretched program. One of the most talented prospects they've ever brought in and we got nothing out of him.

Reaction Score
It's just symptomatic of the whole wretched program. One of the most talented prospects they've ever brought in and we got nothing out of him.
In both terms of ranking and ability. It was unfair to toss him in the middle of that debacle but we all need to get over it.

C

Chief00

Casey had a year of experience in the system and coach mentoring his entire life. He lit it up for three games against weak competition with TJ running the show. I know the bad stats that every casual fan without a vision cite. But, while Casey was more poised - he did not have the upside.
And a “so what” about a UConn QB making the NFL and being the #2 guy for the Packers. Gee you must see an abundance of UConn Football success stories - I don’t see. A fair question - will he go on the wall with other UConn NFL guys? Perhaps not due to him transferring and how he was misused?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Casey had a year of experience in the system and coach mentoring his entire life. He lit it up for three games against weak competition with TJ running the show. I know the bad stats that every casual fan without a vision cite. But, while Casey was more poised - he did not have the upside.
And a “so what” about a UConn QB making the NFL and being the #2 guy for the Packers. Gee you must see an abundance of UConn Football success stories - I don’t see. A fair question - will he go on the wall with other UConn NFL guys? Perhaps not due to him transferring and how he was misused?

You know what Chief? I think you know jack about football. I don’t know much more, but I know that. Lighten up with the “casual fan” . It got old the first time you posted it.

Reaction Score
This notion that Chief saw Talent the rest of us didn't is ludicrous.

The bottom line is ... to be a QB at this level (UConn - BE or AAC; then NFL) is far beyond arm talent. Even if he had a lot more physical talent than Casey C., we all know that Cochran figured out how to get the ball catchable when he was on the field. No doubt Boyle felt he was missing coaching & better receivers & seeing too much pressure ... but you tough it out & figure out how to make it work. He got better here; he got better at Eastern Kentucky; and he is in a different level of Play now ... and it all fits well.

Reaction Score
I'm glad Tim Boyle is with Green Bay! I'm not going to revise history with his time at UConn. He is behind Aaron Rodgers, so he be learning from one of the best. Is he a UConn player in the NFL? Yes, he played for us...

C

Chief00

He left.

There were tons of drops and interceptions from the ball bouncing off the receiver’s hands. True, he started overthrowing after the drops and pass pressure. The reality is you and Bizlawyer made the wrong talent assessment then and you are both doubling down now. It’s silly, the NFL Gods have spoken. Settled issue.

It’s like arguing Brady should have stayed 7th string at Michigan - which he was his Freshman year. He’s the greatest QB of all time now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There were tons of drops and interceptions from the ball bouncing off the receiver’s hands. True, he started overthrowing after the drops and pass pressure. The reality is you and Bizlawyer made the wrong talent assessment then and you are both doubling down now. It’s silly, the NFL Gods have spoken. Settled issue.

It’s like arguing Brady should have stayed 7th string at Michigan - which he was his Freshman year. He’s the greatest QB of all time now.

lol i said he played 20 good minutes. after that he stunk. should they not play the guy who actually... you know... won games?

Reaction Score

He left.

I have no inside info but guessing cc did not have the size or arm as Boyle and may not have performed well in practice. When he got his chance, he was cool, confident and a gamer. Had a couple of size queen coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom