Tim Boyle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle

Reaction Score
In college he could make all the throws too. Our receivers were not use to the ball coming out of the QB’s hand with pro level velocity. Consequentially, he had a lot of drops and interceptions that bounced off receivers hands.

This stuff is just priceless............

Reaction Score
Something was wrong...receivers, line...Boyle's total UConn career passing average was below 50%.
Biggest problem was Diaco came in and Boyle wasn't his guy. He never showed any faith in him and wanted Shirrefs. Now Shirrefs out performed him in games. That is not even debatable.

Reaction Score
If we’re going talk CT QB’s in the NFL Im more interested in seeing Jake Dolegala from CCSU move up the depth chart. He’s 6’7” and has an arm. Very good for Central’s program. It’s rare seeing FCS QB’s from the lowest D1 level get this kind of opportunity.

Jake had a great game last night against the Giants, though I expect him to get stashed on the practice squad. No one keeps two rookie backups.

Reaction Score
Jake had a great game last night against the Giants, though I expect him to get stashed on the practice squad. No one keeps two rookie backups.

We’ll see. I’m a biased to say he is better than Finley.

C

Chief00

I was kidding you dope. He wasn’t nearly the same player while he was here and that’s just facts. #casualfan
You obviously don’t have an eye for football talent. He could make all the throws when he was here.

C

Chief00

Biggest problem was Diaco came in and Boyle wasn't his guy. He never showed any faith in him and wanted Shirrefs. Now Shirrefs out performed him in games. That is not even debatable.
A QB who could throw was put in the system where the only throws in the playbook were short high risk throws over the congested middle on downs everyone knew we had to throw.

Reaction Score
My view is sometimes it happens. Rams won the Super Bowl with a guy who was playing arena football. And the Giants won one with a guy who played for a D3 school. The Pats won 6 Super Bowls with a guy who spent a chunk of his college career holding a clipboard and his senior year platooning with the great Drew Henson. (Thought-who would pal be calling for? Anyone know who the #3 was at Michigan that year?). A former Delaware Blue Hen was a Super Bowl MVP. All examples of overlooked guys who succeeded at the next level. Tim is not at that level yet.

Reaction Score
You obviously don’t have an eye for football talent. He could make all the throws when he was here.

You’re right. When he was here he made all the throws to the defense.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You see those throws? The kid has Real passing ability.

Johnny Mac looked impressive when he threw the ball too. How’d that work out?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

His job was to make throws his receivers could catch. He failed miserably at it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
By Chief’s logic, the Orioles were nuts for not sticking Steve Dalkowski at the front of their big-league rotation.

Reaction Score
I never said to make the roster was a small feat, but among the difference between Orlovsky and Boyle are that Orlovsky was drafted, has stats, has an NFL pension, and his degree says University of Connecticut.

Other than his rather impressive college career under June Jones, Boyle is more akin to Colt Brennan at this point. The Redskins message board had a thread dedicated to him (The "Cult" of Colt) because some fans believed he should have been at least the primary back up for those two years.
Is it run by Palatine

Reaction Score
As I recall Boyle had a tendency as a freshman QB to overthrow his targets. Boyle and Mike Nebrich as well, both should have been redshirted, but enough said since Pasqualoni and Disco were making those decisions.

Reaction Score
My view is sometimes it happens. Rams won the Super Bowl with a guy who was playing arena football. And the Giants won one with a guy who played for a D3 school. The Pats won 6 Super Bowls with a guy who spent a chunk of his college career holding a clipboard and his senior year platooning with the great Drew Henson. (Thought-who would pal be calling for? Anyone know who the #3 was at Michigan that year?). A former Delaware Blue Hen was a Super Bowl MVP. All examples of overlooked guys who succeeded at the next level. Tim is not at that level yet.

Just out of curiosity who was the Super Bowl winning Giant QB who played at a D3 school? I have the following SB winners:

Phil Simms, Moorehead State (FCS), Jeff Hostetler PSU/WVU (FBS) and of course Eli Ole Miss (FBS)

Also don't knock those Blue Hen QBs. Not only was Joe Falacco the SB MVP but Rich Gannon was the league MVP in 2002 in leading the Raiders to the SB. Yes they got curb stomped when the got there but...

Reaction Score
Simply put, the inserted him into games before he was ready, TJ Weist, then Diaco came in and NEVER believed in the kid. Its great for him, but we need to turn the page and hope something like that never happens again. Given our QB situation now, hard to believe we had Boyle, Lagow, and Cochran as freshman/redshirt freshman at one time.

In his first game against USF we had multiple receivers drop the ball including one IIRC that was a TD. Boyle at that point was visibly frustrated. The first game at home hurt his confidence.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I've never once logged onto facebook but I'll refresh the out of this place just to watch two idiots yell-type at each other using "OMG".

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That's better.

Romans 12:18*

tumblr_n0p56jvSCJ1sv7laoo1_500.gif

*haha

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What’s done is done... why live in the past?

Boyle sits 3 on the depth chart behind Aaron Rogers and DeShone Kizer. He’s not going to see much time, if any, this season. Still, happy for him and hope he gets a chance to prove himself.

If we’re going talk CT QB’s in the NFL Im more interested in seeing Jake Dolegala from CCSU move up the depth chart. He’s 6’7” and has an arm. Very good for Central’s program. It’s rare seeing FCS QB’s from the lowest D1 level get this kind of opportunity.

Had a pretty good night.

Reaction Score
The Tim Boyle story is not unique to UConn. Many talented QBs don’t pan out at the college they initially sign with for a wide variety of reasons. If you have 5 scholarship QBs on the roster, 80% of them aren’t starting. It’s great to see him have an NFL opportunity.

I’ve thought that a football program like UConn should strive to have a QB guru/offensive minded coach as head coach. Why? If you have a coach that has a reputation for developing QBs, you will be able to consistently recruit good QBs and the QB position is the most important position on the field. And, for schools like UConn, it is easier to pay top dollar for a head coach and keep him for 3 to 5 years than to keep an OC from being poached. It’s too bad UConn didn’t take a risk on Joe Moorehead when Edsall left.

C

Chief00

In his first game against USF we had multiple receivers drop the ball including one IIRC that was a TD. Boyle at that point was visibly frustrated. The first game at home hurt his confidence.
I agree. What many casual fans miss is many if his interceptions bounced off receivers hands first. He had a different velocity than what they were used to. The receiver routes also weren’t designed for a QB who could actually throw the ball. I will agree that Tim has improved his touch throws and that comes with coaching, maturity and practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom