Tim Boyle | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle

Reaction Score
Before the revisionists stop by again...

I was there through all of it. If Paul wasn’t coaxh, Boyle wasnt going to come.

Lagow, Paul wanted him to prep for a year because they got Tim last minute. Paul also thought both guys were very good. Boyle was going to start the week Paul was fired. Entire staff loved Boyle.

When Diaco came? No idea what happened. The coaches who were here under Paul were all behind developing Boyle. The new coaches? Never really took him seriously. No idea why.

Paul should have started Nebrich as a true frosh.

Reaction Score
Wow - That is huge vindication of what we both believed when he was in college.
I followed Boyle all through high school, Xavier back then had a great program. Boyles problem in high school was he played back up QB to Pat Damatto until his senior year. Damatto was a year ahead of him. Before his senior year, Boyle still played a lot but not at QB so much, so when he came to UConn he had tons of natural talent but he was greener than asparagus. Not redshirting him as a freshman was a huge error by the UConn coaching staff.

Reaction Score

Lagow, Paul wanted him to prep for a year because they got Tim last minute. Paul also thought both guys were very good. Boyle was going to start the week Paul was fired. Entire staff loved Boyle.

When Diaco came? No idea what happened. The coaches who were here under Paul were all behind developing Boyle. The new coaches? Never really took him seriously. No idea why.

I've been saying that for years, and it's no coincidence that Moorhead resigned right after Thanksgiving of that year, got the Fordham job and brought Mike with him a few months later. Moorhead recruited Mike. PP did not know what he had, instead he saw McEntee's trick shot video and gave him the job (half kidding here). PP could not recognize talent if it hit him in the face, players or coaches. He demoted Joe Moorhead and then Moorhead turns around the Fordham program, then is named OC of the year two years in a row at Penn State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Funny, many of us have sat w/ a strong cocktail in hand pondering the same thing...
Yes, just as many had done the same thinking about how ANY young qb would do behind the O line at the time.....

Reaction Score

Yep.

Reaction Score
What casual chief misses is that the throws bounced off of fingertips because they were overthrown. That type of nuance is beyond those of limited understanding.
Umm, I was at Boyle's first game against USF. Early on, he threw a bomb to Deshon Foxx...hit him right in stride...and the pass was dropped. Some in the stands were joking that he missed it because our receivers weren't used to seeing perfect passes. ;) Perhaps some truth there, others he threw later were too long, but that one, I believe it was his first long ball, was not overthrown at all. Thought it was an ominous sign at the time.

Reaction Score
Playing McEntee and depending on him early ... was the most eyerolling sequence on the Paul era. I simply think they could have managed the post HCRE 1.0 era better. (including Frey)

C

Chief00

He was. As were all the QB’s who played for the previous disaster regimes. Chief Backing you pretty much solidifies that you’re wrong though.

Chief was right about Boyle and the Packers agree. At least Serrano is keeping his losing streak alive.

Reaction Score
Wrote this in 2013:
[Poll] Tim Boyle is...
Totally agree with you. You can tell by the way the ball comes out of his hand he's something special. Quick release, tight spirals and a cannon. They haven't had anyone who can do that since Dan. It's going to be great watching him develop into an NFL caliber QB
Took a long time to be right, but I'm happy for the kid. It is really an amazing story.

Reaction Score
Some players take longer to develop and some are actually suited more for the next level. Boyle seems like a poor mans Rudy Gay in that he's going to have a better pro career than in college. I wish Boyle had better coaching and played better at UConn, but am still rooting for him to have a long career.

My concern with Boyle in college was, while he had an NFL arm, he didn't have the finesse needed to excel in college. Touch is probably more important than arm strength and I don't think he had it during the early part of his college career.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Umm, I was at Boyle's first game against USF. Early on, he threw a bomb to Deshon Foxx...hit him right in stride...and the pass was dropped. Some in the stands were joking that he missed it because our receivers weren't used to seeing perfect passes. ;) Perhaps some truth there, others he threw later were too long, but that one, I believe it was his first long ball, was not overthrown at all. Thought it was an ominous sign at the time.

It's the QB's job to throw passes his receivers can catch.

C

Chief00

It's the QB's job to throw passes his receivers can catch.
Can catch and actually catch are two different things. And Chief doesn’t entirely blame the receivers, it takes time to adjust to a pro style release and velocity.
It like catching a twilight league pitcher and then catching a Major League pitcher with a 95 miles per hour fastball. It’s an adjustment, you don’t do it well on the fly. You also need to adjust the routes because he can make throws others couldn’t.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Until you get hired as a head coach or GM of an NFL team, you are wrong.

I don't care where he is now. When he was at UConn, he played terribly, and this is backed up by both statistics and the eye test.

You bring up his arm strength over and over again, and it's completely irrelevant. Arm strength didn't make Steve Dalkowski a great pitcher, did it?

Reaction Score
Can catch and actually catch are two different things. And Chief doesn’t entirely blame the receivers, it takes time to adjust to a pro style release and velocity.
It like catching a twilight league pitcher and then catching a Major League pitcher with a 95 miles per hour fastball. It’s an adjustment, you don’t do it well on the fly. You also need to adjust the routes because he can make throws others couldn’t.

Agreed on the difference but shouldn't the QB also adjust to guys that can't handle his fastball?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Major League pitchers don't just throw hard. They know how to hit their spots, vary their speed, and deliver the ball in a way that gives the best possible outcome.

You ought to take your own advice and let the rest of us coach your casual understanding up.

C

Chief00

I don't care where he is now. When he was at UConn, he played terribly, and this is backed up by both statistics and the eye test.

You bring up his arm strength over and over again, and it's completely irrelevant. Arm strength didn't make Steve Dalkowski a great pitcher, did it?
You have no vision. He had the talent here, it just wasn’t coached right in a workable offensive system.
I believe he just beat out a guy who was the 51st pick in the draft and one of the top QB’s coming out of college. Yet, to believe you, he wasn’t good enough to play on UConn’s team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You have no vision. He had the talent here, it just wasn’t presented right in a workable offensive system.

"Vision?" What nonsense is this?

We are fans of the University of Connecticut football program here. We care about who can help us win in the given moment, not who gives you the highest reading on a radar gun. Perhaps if you develop an attachment to the team and begin following them as closely as we do, rather than using this board as group therapy for your self-confidence issues, you will begin to understand this.

Reaction Score

I was also at the game. Two, maybe three drops. At least a dozen airmailed balls. Constantly high, almost without exception. I commented on his ability to scan the field, go through progressions, etc. and thought that if he could just bring his throws down he could be good . . .

C

Chief00

But what the poster who recognizes what posters recognize about casual fans doesn't recognize is the passes bounced off finger tips because the receivers were a 1/4 step slow. Boyle was throwing where the ball needed to be thrown.
True, and Chief has the pro philosophy if it’s in your hands you catch it. Get stronger hands if you can’t man up.

C

Chief00

Agreed on the difference but shouldn't the QB also adjust to guys that can't handle his fastball?
Yes, I suppose but a freshman and then sophomore with a merry go round of coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom